Met a family member of an old Saint champion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Met a family member of an old Saint champion

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
St Lenny
Club Player

What a wonderful story. Thank you so much Loris for sharing that with us. Loved George Young, he was a beauty for sure.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

look at the way he held the ball...maybe some of the present players could give it a crack..certainly wouldnt hurt their current predicament

minneapolis
Club Player

Well done Loris.

Just goes to show how far and wide the family is.

I got a contract in Canberra for a year and the guy I sat next to was a Saints supporter. We enjoyed each other's company that year - I did not know anybody else when I arrived. I reckon only a Saints supporter could feel that.

(Well maybe a Dogs supporter could as well I reckon.)

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
George27
Club Player

Thanks Loris. Great story.

As you would gather from the name I use on this website, George , number 27, remains my absolute favourite Saint of all time. I am so glad his health has returned. He turns seventy next February.

Tommyj
Club Player

I remember a game out at Waverley late 70s early 80s Carlton hadn't lost a game it was bucketing down George destroyed rod Austin kicked 7 we won don't care what anyone says no one even today could have kicked that in those shocking conditions, him and Glen Elliott were the best players we had the Saints in those days

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Get George down to the club to teach them how to kick.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
stonecold
SS Life Member

loris wrote: Wed 30 May 2018 8:39pm
stonecold wrote: Wed 30 May 2018 5:30pm Great work Loris, thanks for sharing!!!!!

Wonderful also to hear you have 'Saints Plates' in WA, great to see you posting again!!!!!!
Stoney my plates are #96, the year I came to Perth to live, and the last time the Saints won some silverware for the trophy cabinet!!!!! Even though our coach GT and captain Lenny Hayes, refused to look happy on the Dias when receiving the silverware.

Great work Loris, wonderful that you are strongly flying the Saints flag in WA, good on you!!!!!

Great to see you back posting, see 'our man' couldn't handle the 'heat' and disappeared!!!!! ;)

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

GREAT story, beautifully articulated. Kudos to you Loris. :D

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
spert
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 31 May 2018 8:35am Get George down to the club to teach them how to kick.
And also to teach some of those boys how to take a contested mark- he had great hands.

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Brilliant story Loris and its great to hear his health is so much better.

He was my first footy hero and I proudly wore the number 27 on my back. He was such a graceful mover and a beautiful kick.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
loris
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 30 May 2018 9:47pm
Some good Sandgropers in that clip SaintPav....... Young, Super Duper, and Sidebottom were three I picked up.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote: Wed 30 May 2018 8:03pm Nice one Loris. And George Young was a hellava player. Very good cricketer too.
Yes he made a century for WA I think? Did he play grade cricket for Subiaco? He played WAFL for them.
Also Bruce Duperouzel (? Spelling) also represented WA in cricket.

Don’t suppose you played cricket with either or against them Verdun ....... bit before you started hitting that little bit of leather around WA cricket grounds eh????? :wink:

Oh, have you heard how ‘Percy’ P health is these days? I’m hoping to jag some tickets to Lords via the WACA for next year, so we might catch up for a Pimms???

saynta
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Thu 31 May 2018 2:02pm
Verdun66 wrote: Wed 30 May 2018 8:03pm Nice one Loris. And George Young was a hellava player. Very good cricketer too.
Yes he made a century for WA I think? Did he play grade cricket for Subiaco? He played WAFL for them.

Don’t suppose you played cricket with either or against them Verdun ....... bit before you started hitting that little bit of leather around WA cricket grounds eh????? :wink:

Oh, have you heard how ‘Percy’ P health is these days? I’m hoping to jag some tickets to Lords via the WACA for next year, so we might catch up for a Pimms???
You must not have read my post. Second one after your op.

loris
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 30 May 2018 5:30pm I loved Georgie Young and that other West Aussie Bruce Duperouzel.

Both of them state cricketers for WA too.

I remember when George played full forward for a couple of games. Kicked a bagful both times from memory.

Pity that Bruce , like so many others, ended up at another club.

How could any real long standing saints supporter not remember Young Loris.

His sister underestimates her brother's legacy at the Saints.
Spot on about Young & Duper’s cricketing prowess saynta.
Have you seen the link SaintPav has put up on this thread .... shows Duperouzel feeding George Young!

loris
Saintsational Legend

Selhurst Saint wrote: Thu 31 May 2018 12:58pm Brilliant story Loris and its great to hear his health is so much better.

He was my first footy hero and I proudly wore the number 27 on my back. He was such a graceful mover and a beautiful kick.
SS, you’ve picked it in a nutshell, ‘graceful mover’ , that was the essence of George Young on the footy field, I agree.

I think he was the best moving left foot kick, since Kevin Roberts, raking left footers, Roberts style was more forceful, whereas George was grace and poetry in motion. I coukd wax lyrical about George forever!!!!

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

loris wrote: Wed 30 May 2018 5:13pm I was about to get into my car and a woman was putting her bike on the bike rack of her Range Rover, called out to me and asked if I thought it would be a good game at the weekend. She had seen my St Kilda number plates. I said I assume you are an Eagles supporter, so it might be a good game for her.

She told me she had a soft spot for the Saints. Then she mentioned how it would be difficult for us without Carlisle and then rattled off most of our injured players. I said you have got a handle on the Saints. Then she told me her brother used to play for the Saints. I asked who it was, she said I possibly wouldn’t have seen him as it was years ago and he’s now in his 70’s.
When I told her I would be 74 this year and had been following the Saints since the early 1950’s. She told me it was George Young.

The minute she mention his name I could see the resemblance. She is a very tall, fair headed, handsome extremely fit looking woman, would be in her mid 60’s, but had the stature and fitness like a person in their 40’s. She has a fantastic racing bike, which no doubt would have set her back thousands of dollars, I was rather envious of it.

I asked after George’s health as I read on this site he had been unwell. She told me he has regained his health, tho it was rather serious for some time. He’d had problems with a faulty heart valve, some complications with operations.
She was chatting to George recently and he’s conflicted on who to support this match, Saints or Eagles. She says their whole extended family has a very ‘soft spots’ for the Saints. However, George’s years of official involvement with the Eagles has him still very tied to them and most family members are Eagles supporters.

I mentioned how George was once at a Western Saints function with his son and it’s a pity he didn’t take after George & play for the Saints as he looked a very tall, strapping young lad. She 5old me George had 2 boys that were very good junior footballers. The better of the two ended up with very bad leg injuries just when all the scouts were sniffing around him, and the injuries halted his promising career. The other lad didn’t continue on with senior football much to George’s disappointment.

She was amazed when I told her that George wore number 27 and other things about him. we chatted about a few games her mother & father took her to Melbourne to see. Plus we reminisced about many of the players in George’s day.

She was going to ring George today & let him know she met a loyal Sainter who remembers his first game for the Saints. She jokingly thought that might sway him to lean to the Saints this weekend.

I know there are a few George Young fans like me on this site. Her name is Marg, a very pleasant woman, who really knows her football. I wish I could afford a bike like she had :( plus a Range Rover to cart it around!,,,
Great story Loris! :)

Look again it's the Flash!!
The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

loris wrote: Wed 30 May 2018 5:13pm I was about to get into my car and a woman was putting her bike on the bike rack of her Range Rover, called out to me and asked if I thought it would be a good game at the weekend. She had seen my St Kilda number plates. I said I assume you are an Eagles supporter, so it might be a good game for her.

She told me she had a soft spot for the Saints. Then she mentioned how it would be difficult for us without Carlisle and then rattled off most of our injured players. I said you have got a handle on the Saints. Then she told me her brother used to play for the Saints. I asked who it was, she said I possibly wouldn’t have seen him as it was years ago and he’s now in his 70’s.
When I told her I would be 74 this year and had been following the Saints since the early 1950’s. She told me it was George Young.

The minute she mention his name I could see the resemblance. She is a very tall, fair headed, handsome extremely fit looking woman, would be in her mid 60’s, but had the stature and fitness like a person in their 40’s. She has a fantastic racing bike, which no doubt would have set her back thousands of dollars, I was rather envious of it.

I asked after George’s health as I read on this site he had been unwell. She told me he has regained his health, tho it was rather serious for some time. He’d had problems with a faulty heart valve, some complications with operations.
She was chatting to George recently and he’s conflicted on who to support this match, Saints or Eagles. She says their whole extended family has a very ‘soft spots’ for the Saints. However, George’s years of official involvement with the Eagles has him still very tied to them and most family members are Eagles supporters.

I mentioned how George was once at a Western Saints function with his son and it’s a pity he didn’t take after George & play for the Saints as he looked a very tall, strapping young lad. She 5old me George had 2 boys that were very good junior footballers. The better of the two ended up with very bad leg injuries just when all the scouts were sniffing around him, and the injuries halted his promising career. The other lad didn’t continue on with senior football much to George’s disappointment.

She was amazed when I told her that George wore number 27 and other things about him. we chatted about a few games her mother & father took her to Melbourne to see. Plus we reminisced about many of the players in George’s day.

She was going to ring George today & let him know she met a loyal Sainter who remembers his first game for the Saints. She jokingly thought that might sway him to lean to the Saints this weekend.

I know there are a few George Young fans like me on this site. Her name is Marg, a very pleasant woman, who really knows her football. I wish I could afford a bike like she had :( plus a Range Rover to cart it around!,,,
Great story Loris! :)

Look again it's the Flash!!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I’m so glad to hear that George’s health has improved Loris. Less happy to hear of his fondness for the Eagles :?

I didn’t come from a football supporting family, and first started going to Saints games on a weekly basis in 1973.

George Young started at St Kilda in the same year.

I went to Round 1 at the MCG against Melbourne with Carl playing his first game for the Demons. George and fellow Western Australian Russell Reynolds were debuting for the Saints. The Saints won that day.

The team achieved little by way of success over the next few years and I was vulnerable to remaining a footy fanatic, or drifting away in search of other pursuits.

But I kept going each week until it became so entrenched I simply had no way out.

And here I am today; on my 46th successive St Kilda Football Club membership and once again experiencing the exasperations we long-time supporters know all too much about :(

And I have George Young to thank for that, if indeed thank is the correct word :?

Because he was the one who excited us on a Saturday afternoon. And he was the one who would say hello to an insignificant Moorabbin Tech School student who was having shots for goal at the South Road end of Linton Street, as the players ran their warm up laps on a Tuesday and Thursday night.

Yes I'll be watching on Saturday night, and rocking up to the Dome the following week, because that's who I am and that's what I do.

And I am who I am, and I do what I do, not solely, but largely, due to Mr Young #27 8-)

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

loris wrote: Thu 31 May 2018 2:02pm

Hi Loris, No , never played against those guys. A bit before my time. There were a few footballers still about playing cricket when I was there, but those days were ending. Had Karl Langdon and Don Pyke in our team at Claremont CCC. Played against Peter Sumich and a few others. Percy Philpott going ok from what I hear. Haven't caught up with him for a while. For a bloke they thought would not make 40 he's done ok! He's 83 now! And will probably be at Lords next year. Live in Edinburgh now, so is a major hike to get to London. Hope you are well!

noddy04
Club Player

Great story Loris...Indeed it was 1996 when we beat Carlton at waverley. Jen and i and our 2 kids drove over for the ANSETT CUP. It was our first game at Waverley. I remember before the game there was a big cardboard cut out of a Ansett plane and smoke everywhere from fireworks. We smashed them. I always felt sad that the players couldnt get presented with the cup properly as soooo many people ran onto the ground. We had a great weekend. :)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Thu 31 May 2018 2:17pm
saynta wrote: Wed 30 May 2018 5:30pm I loved Georgie Young and that other West Aussie Bruce Duperouzel.

Both of them state cricketers for WA too.

I remember when George played full forward for a couple of games. Kicked a bagful both times from memory.

Pity that Bruce , like so many others, ended up at another club.

How could any real long standing saints supporter not remember Young Loris.

His sister underestimates her brother's legacy at the Saints.
Spot on about Young & Duper’s cricketing prowess saynta.
Have you seen the link SaintPav has put up on this thread .... shows Duperouzel feeding George Young!
Yep loved the footage, nice goal from Rex,. Val was another one we should never have let go. Gellie and Trevor along with Sarau in there as well.

robbie muir
Club Player

Absolutely brilliant footballer. Had a great left foot kick.

Kicked 6 in his first final against Essendon in the 1973 Elimination final.

Also kicked 10 straight against Fitzroy in his final year in 1978 at Moorabbin.

Unfortunately was injured for the classic Round 22 game in 1978 when we thumped Carlton.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

robbie muir wrote: Fri 01 Jun 2018 11:06am Absolutely brilliant footballer. Had a great left foot kick.

Kicked 6 in his first final against Essendon in the 1973 Elimination final.

Also kicked 10 straight against Fitzroy in his final year in 1978 at Moorabbin.

Unfortunately was injured for the classic Round 22 game in 1978 when we thumped Carlton.
Yes, that final against Essendon was the first ever Elimination Final. The final five came in that year.
The following week he was towelled by a plumber from Richmond, Kevin Sheedy!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
mcadam05
Club Player

Heres the 73 final with all 18goals