Freeman is set to return

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Freeman is set to return

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/m ... 01da88b872

"NATHAN Freeman is finally available for selection.

Trouble is, the luckless St Kilda midfielder will be forced to wait another week before he can play.

Freeman, 23, was drafted at pick 10 by Collingwood in 2013 but is yet to make his AFL debut after a string of troublesome hamstring injuries.

He underwent surgery in February after yet another injury, and after two months of rehabilitation is ready to pull on the boots.

But a VFL bye for Sandringham this weekend means any return will be delayed.

“We will await his return,” St Kilda head physio Andrew Wallis said, acknowledging the “irony” of Freeman’s situation.

It is understood that Freeman would need to string together a handful of VFL games before he would be considered for senior selection.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Re: Freeman is set to return

Don't like his chances of getting a senior game this year, but good luck to the fella nonetheless. He needs some luck. I think he might get delisted or redrafted as a rookie at season's end if he keeps getting hamstring injuries.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Good luck Freezer.

Even if the prospects are slim, I haven't given up yet.

Always loyal
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

He would not only 'need to string together' a handful of VFL games but he'd also have to be playing some damn good footy if he's ever going to push out any of his team mates. At this stage it's a non-story. The real story will be whether he gets another contract; whether he can play some decent VFL footy and whether he ever plays a solitary game of AFL.

I doubt he will get the chance to live up to his junior footy capabilities or potential. He has missed so much football. Time is running out unless another AFL team is crazy enough to take a huge punt and perhaps rookie him and give him another contract. Can't see it happening, and can't see St Kilda offering Nathan more time

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:He would not only 'need to string together' a handful of VFL games but he'd also have to be playing some damn good footy if he's ever going to push out any of his team mates. At this stage it's a non-story. The real story will be whether he gets another contract; whether he can play some decent VFL footy and whether he ever plays a solitary game of AFL.

I doubt he will get the chance to live up to his junior footy capabilities or potential. He has missed so much football. Time is running out unless another AFL team is crazy enough to take a huge punt and perhaps rookie him and give him another contract. Can't see it happening, and can't see St Kilda offering Nathan more time
I think that depends. It may be hard to push out his teammates if we play like we did on the weekend just gone...if we play like we did in the previous 3 rounds the push may not be too hard at all!

#1 Ryder fan
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Calculated gamble by the club and worth the shot.
High reward does not come with out risk.

Good luck to Freeman, you'd have to guess that he would have to show something significant this year to stay on the list.

With our luck we'll probably drop him, Hawks will rookie list him and he'll plat 200 games.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
repta
Club Player

If he is fit surely they could find him a spot in a team somewhere in the state? 2nds 3rds 4ths?

DJ Higgins
Club Player

I agree with the rookie option if he starts playing well at season end otherwise we have to let him go. We have done so much for him and he has been amazing in his attitude but we are a business at the end of the day and he cant take someone else's spot

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:I agree with the rookie option if he starts playing well at season end otherwise we have to let him go. We have done so much for him and he has been amazing in his attitude but we are a business at the end of the day and he cant take someone else's spot
Rookie list is surely the only option for 2019, and that’s only if he either plays AFLthis year or really shows something in the VFL.

We can’t be that stupid to keep him on the main list next year?

Surely??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Nah it's make or break.

No other list will pick him up. Why would you?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

What a lot of miserable pessimists you are on here.

Gawd give the kid a break. Most of you are writing him off without him even kicking a ball in a game yet. f*** me.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
DJ Higgins wrote:I agree with the rookie option if he starts playing well at season end otherwise we have to let him go. We have done so much for him and he has been amazing in his attitude but we are a business at the end of the day and he cant take someone else's spot
Rookie list is surely the only option for 2019, and that’s only if he either plays AFLthis year or really shows something in the VFL.

Surely??
I don't see any point in delisting and taking him as a rookie. Rookies can play seniors at any time now; the only reason the list still exists seems to be for taking a player overlooked in the national draft who you only want to give a one-year contract to instead of the mandatory two-year contract from the national draft. We could easily re-sign him for one year on minimum salary if we wanted to without going through the hassle of delisting and re drafting him.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:
I don't see any point in delisting and taking him as a rookie. Rookies can play seniors at any time now; the only reason the list still exists seems to be for taking a player overlooked in the national draft who you only want to give a one-year contract to instead of the mandatory two-year contract from the national draft. We could easily re-sign him for one year on minimum salary if we wanted to without going through the hassle of delisting and re drafting him.
I am not an expert on the rookie list rules but if he is on the rookie list he wont take another players spot and could play if some gets injured long term or quits. I think that is right this way he is still in the team and if he finally gets some luck with the hammy's he get called up if someone is injured or retires. But for this to occur he must have a great last few months with Sandy and in 2019 someone has to get hurt or go. Neither is a good outcome. Personally I think he will be gone at season end. The few times I saw him at Sandy last year he wasn't a stand out nor did he look amazingly quick. But if we were to keep him this would be the best option.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:What a lot of miserable pessimists you are on here.

Gawd give the kid a break. Most of you are writing him off without him even kicking a ball in a game yet. f*** me.
Gawd, I think the Saints have given him 'more' than a break. The discussion is reasonable and inevitable. It was a gamble that didn't pay off. How long would you keep an investment if it is losing you money and providing no return? You cut your losses don't you, because the probability of a turn around is remote.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:

Gawd, I think the Saints have given him 'more' than a break. Be reasonable. The discussion is inevitable. How long are we going to keep paying him?
The people saying he should be dumped, traded or rookies are the unreassonable ones imhfo.

The saints recruited him knowing he had dodgy hammies, have stood by him whilst he has been out injured and are more than welcoming his return to fitness.

None of his has been his fault. He even travelled to Germany a second time at his own expense in an attempt to overcome his injuries.

He has just undergone surgery to remove scare tissue and the "experts" on here want to shaft him before he has had a chance to prove himself.

I f****** hope he proves all of you doubters how wrong you are.

Glad none of you are responsible for list management.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:

I wouldn't want any of them in control of my life support system either!!!!!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:
saynta wrote:

I wouldn't want any of them in control of my life support system either!!!!!

Too true mate, too true. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I've pretty much given up on him like everyone else - however, if he shows a glimpse of the electric pace we know he has possessed in the past, watch us all jump back on... :D

St. Paul
Club Player

The boy's not done yet! He has 17 weeks left to prove himself. If he gets back to somewhere near full fitness and confidence,I believe you'll all be very pleased with what he can produce.

"For when I am powerless, then I am strong."
stonecold
SS Life Member

St. Paul wrote:The boy's not done yet! He has 17 weeks left to prove himself. If he gets back to somewhere near full fitness and confidence,I believe you'll all be very pleased with what he can produce.
Do you even know Freezer?????

Your a Rookie!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Shaggy
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:

Surely??
Round 5 and you have decided Freeman cannot have a spot on the main list next year.

Lol.

Freeman has the year to prove himself.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:I am not an expert on the rookie list rules but if he is on the rookie list he wont take another players spot and could play if some gets injured long term or quits. I think that is right this way he is still in the team and if he finally gets some luck with the hammy's he get called up if someone is injured or retires. But for this to occur he must have a great last few months with Sandy and in 2019 someone has to get hurt or go. Neither is a good outcome. Personally I think he will be gone at season end. The few times I saw him at Sandy last year he wasn't a stand out nor did he look amazingly quick. But if we were to keep him this would be the best option.
Rookies can play any time now; you don't need a long term injury or retirement for them to play seniors. There's just no point in delisting and redrafting him as a rookie. But how stupid would we look if we delist him and plan to take him as a rookie but another team pounces before us and he finally gets a good run with his body

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
DJ Higgins wrote:I am not an expert on the rookie list rules but if he is on the rookie list he wont take another players spot and could play if some gets injured long term or quits. I think that is right this way he is still in the team and if he finally gets some luck with the hammy's he get called up if someone is injured or retires. But for this to occur he must have a great last few months with Sandy and in 2019 someone has to get hurt or go. Neither is a good outcome. Personally I think he will be gone at season end. The few times I saw him at Sandy last year he wasn't a stand out nor did he look amazingly quick. But if we were to keep him this would be the best option.
Rookies can play any time now; you don't need a long term injury or retirement for them to play seniors. There's just no point in delisting and redrafting him as a rookie. But how stupid would we look if we delist him and plan to take him as a rookie but another team pounces before us and he finally gets a good run with his body
Fairly sure that if clubs delist a player and it is known that the club will intend to rookie in draft other clubs stay away.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Scollop wrote:

Gawd, I think the Saints have given him 'more' than a break. Be reasonable. The discussion is inevitable. How long are we going to keep paying him?
The people saying he should be dumped, traded or rookies are the unreassonable ones imhfo.

The saints recruited him knowing he had dodgy hammies, have stood by him whilst he has been out injured and are more than welcoming his return to fitness.

None of his has been his fault. He even travelled to Germany a second time at his own expense in an attempt to overcome his injuries.

He has just undergone surgery to remove scare tissue and the "experts" on here want to shaft him before he has had a chance to prove himself.

I f****** hope he proves all of you doubters how wrong you are.

Glad you’re not in charge of my investments FFS,
No one said “let’s get this kid sacked” talk about hyperbole overreaction (roll, roll, roll, roll,....)
It’s a good discussion
He steps up (bad luck or not) and puts together some solid footy this year or goes
Saints have stuck by him, he’s been on AFL lists for 5 years and not cracked a game (said it himself), plenty don’t get that chance
We ain’t a friggin charity :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

“Yeah….nah””
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

I just hope he gets a chance to have a run at it. Injury free

If this is the case the future is up to him!

#1 Ryder fan