Breakdown of our talent

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Breakdown of our talent

This is my two cents as to how I see the talent depth on our list:

Superstars:
None

Genuine A-Graders:
Steven
Carlisle

B-Graders who could be A grade:
Ross
Billings
Gresham
Sinclair
Membrey
Acres
Dunstan
McCartin
Steele
Roberton

Genuine B-Graders:
Bruce
Weller
Brown
Geary

GOPs:
Longer
Stevens
Newnes
Webster
Lonie

Could be anything:
Hickey
Long
Battle
Clark
Coffield
Goddard
Marshal
White

Close to retirement:
Armitage
Gilbert

Time running out:
Freeman
Pierce

I've probably missed a few players, but based on my thoughts above, I think we actually have some pretty good depth, more so than most teams and certainly a lot than our grand final era. Especially if players on the cusp of A grade make to the next level.

However, our achilles is heel is still clearly the lack of star power, in that we don't have any. Whilst our 09/10 grand final list fell well short once we got to the bottom 6, we still had a top 7 of Roo, Hayes, Dal, Joey, BJ, Fisher and Milne - arguably all stars but at the very least all genuine A-graders.

Thoughts?
Last edited by SydneySainter on Tue 24 Apr 2018 2:48pm, edited 2 times in total.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
suss
Club Player

Re: Breakdown of our talent

I agree. It's the opposite problem to the one we've had since I started supporting the club -- heaps of A-graders but no depth.

I'm not sure how we get top-shelf talent into the club though. If we get a free agent like Sloan or Gaff and an A-grade mid in the draft that would be a start. But I can't see the likes of Kelly or Shield coming. They'll be heading to the likes of Hawthorn if they go anywhere. :cry:

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote: They'll be heading to the likes of Hawthorn if they go anywhere. :cry:
Yep - that way they can throw elbows to the back of the head behind play and only pay $1,500.00 for the priveledge.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
older saint
SS Life Member

Can't have Steven as an A Grader. Love his run and carry and ability to win the ball but his foot disposal to me is just not good enough to be an A grader. McCartin i think perhaps goes in the "Could be anything category " as only just played 5 games in a row for the first time. Steele probably to B also . To me Acres most likely to make jump to A Grade by seasons end.

Pretty good list , i must admit i am a tough marker get so annoyed nowadays with commentators talking about how great a player is after 10 games of footy, and don't get me started how the champion is just thrown around willy nilly..haha

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

You missed Geary.

Hopefully Phillips, Paton, Austin and Langlands come good. Heck if even two of those four come good then we would be well pleased.

I don't think Goddard is in the 'could be anything' category'. Most likely a bust.
I don't see Hickey ever really making it.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:You missed Geary.

Hopefully Phillips, Paton, Austin and Langlands come good. Heck if even two of those four come good then we would be well pleased.

I don't think Goddard is in the 'could be anything' category'. Most likely a bust.
I don't see Hickey ever really making it.
Don’t know how I forgot Geary. No disrespect to our captain, he’s in the Genuine B grade cateorgy.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

An A grader to me is someone of AA catagory. We have none. Sounds harsh, but look at our 04-10 teams? In 09 we had 5 or 6 players AA. Look back on all our champions. All have been AA at some stage. Roo, Lenny, Dal, Milney, BJ, Fish. And before we had Harves, Gehrig, Burkey, Loewey.

Sounds harsh. But I still don't think we have any genuine A grade talent. We have some very good B grade players who on their day can be A grade. But they're not consistent enough. Jack is the classic example.

All this aside I take the OP's point. There is potential to transform this list. Ordinary footballers or more to the point, footballers who are playing ordinary all too often like Billings and Paddy, can become very good footballers very quickly depending on circumstances. Some guys like Newnes, Geary, Webster etc are destined to be very good battlers. Nothing wrong with that. Stevie Baker made a career out of being a very good battler. They are incredibly important players. More important are the stars though

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

There can be no argument that Steven & Carlisle are A Graders.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Billings is not a B grader.

At all.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
starsign
Club Player

Forgive me my memory fades but who were all the A graders in the Bulldogs Premiership lineup ?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:Forgive me my memory fades but who were all the A graders in the Bulldogs Premiership lineup ?
Good question.
The media love the Bont. Over rated imo.
Libba and Wood had freak years.
MacRae and Hunter are handy.
But I agree with you. I don't think any of them are genuine A graders.
What a fluke that was.
But hats off to them. They were on a mission for one month and that's all you need to do.

kalsaint
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote:This is my two cents as to how I see the talent depth on our list:

Superstars:
None

Genuine A-Graders:
Steven
Carlisle

Ross
Billings
Gresham
Sinclair
Membrey
Acres
Dunstan
McCartin
Steele

Genuine B-Graders:
Bruce
Weller
Brown

GOPs:
Longer
Stevens
Newnes
Webster
Lonie

Could be anything:
Hickey
Long
Battle
Clark
Coffield
Goddard
Marshal
White

Could be close to retirement:
Armitage
Gilbert
Freeman

I've probably missed a few players, but based on my thoughts above, I think we actually have some pretty good depth, more so than most teams and certainly a lot than our grand final era. Especially if players on the cusp of A grade make to the next level.

However, our achilles is heel is still clearly the lack of star power, in that we don't have any. Whilst our 09/10 grand final list fell well short once we got to the bottom 6, we still had a top 7 of Roo, Hayes, Dal, Joey, BJ, Fisher and Milne - arguably all stars but at the very least all genuine A-graders.

Thoughts?

Not bad and I'm certainly too distant from that list of categories. Given our believed current lack of elites I wonder on others opinions of sides from yesteryear. For example the 2009 side under Ross Lyon, the 2004 side under GT and the 1997 year inder Stan Alves. It would be most interesting to see who were considered Superstars and A graders. The list of who could be anything for each maybe controversial.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:There can be no argument that Steven & Carlisle are A Graders.
Maybe ask a non Saints supporter. I think you'll get plenty of argument. Steven can't handle a tag as a rule. Carlisle is our closest to A grade

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
starsign wrote:Forgive me my memory fades but who were all the A graders in the Bulldogs Premiership lineup ?
Good question.
What a fluke that was.
But hats off to them. They were on a mission for one month and that's all you need to do.
I think the standout difference between us and the Dogs is that they qualified for finals in 2015 and they obviously qualified for finals in their premiership year, something that we have so failed to do, despite the club saying that this list is primed to play finals.

If all it takes is a one month mission, they at least finished in the top 8 to commence that mission. Do we look like we’re anywhere near to challenging for the top 8?

Maybe it’s the coaching, or maybe it’s the lack of star talent?
Last edited by SydneySainter on Tue 24 Apr 2018 1:13am, edited 1 time in total.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:This is my two cents as to how I see the talent depth on our list:

Superstars:
None

Genuine A-Graders:
Steven
Carlisle

Ross
Billings
Gresham
Sinclair
Membrey
Acres
Dunstan
McCartin
Steele

Genuine B-Graders:
Bruce
Weller
Brown

GOPs:
Longer
Stevens
Newnes
Webster
Lonie

Could be anything:
Hickey
Long
Battle
Clark
Coffield
Goddard
Marshal
White

Armitage
Gilbert
Freeman

Thoughts?

This is actually a very very good effort!!!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Superstars:
None

Genuine A-Graders:
Steven
Carlisle

Ross
Billings
Gresham
Sinclair
Membrey
Acres
Dunstan
McCartin
Steele

Genuine B-Graders:
Bruce
Weller
Brown

GOPs:
Longer
Stevens
Newnes
Webster
Lonie

Could be anything:
Hickey
Long
Battle
Clark
Coffield
Goddard
Marshal
White

Armitage
Gilbert
Freeman

Thoughts?

This is actually a very very good effort!!!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Good question.
What a fluke that was.

Bont is an A grade, match winner - it's seriously embarrassing when this forum attempts to lessen other players, especially as there is self interest with billings picked beforehand.

erskine_1981

Roberton?

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Of course.

Roberton would be another B grader who could be A grade IMO.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Roberton made the AA squad last year.

I reckon that qualifies him as an A grader.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

There's no one in this St Kilda team that on the way to the game I say, "I can't wait to watch 'so and so' play".

The anticipation before a match when you knew Plugger was in the team was the polar opposite.

St. Paul
Club Player

prwilkinson wrote:There's no one in this St Kilda team that on the way to the game I say, "I can't wait to watch 'so and so' play".

The anticipation before a match when you knew Plugger was in the team was the polar opposite.
Plus one about Plugger, prw. I even had opposition supporter mates who'd come to Moorabbin just to watch the great man play. Remember when we had the G Train, Milne, Roo, Lenny and Dal? All good reasons to pay at the gate. Hopefully a few of this crop can go on and reach star status. Blacres, Coff and "The two new Lennies", Dunstan and Ross, shape as candidates. I'd love Paddy to grow into that role, but Plugger's boots are almost impossible to fill. GOAT, IMHO.

"For when I am powerless, then I am strong."
stonecold
SS Life Member

St. Paul wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:There's no one in this St Kilda team that on the way to the game I say, "I can't wait to watch 'so and so' play".

Plus one about Plugger, prw. I even had opposition supporter mates who'd come to Moorabbin just to watch the great man play. Remember when we had the G Train, Milne, Roo, Lenny and Dal? All good reasons to pay at the gate. Hopefully a few of this crop can go on and reach star status. Blacres, Coff and "The two new Lennies", Dunstan and Ross, shape as candidates. I'd love Paddy to grow into that role, but Plugger's boots are almost impossible to fill. GOAT, IMHO.
Did you sit in the Huggins Stand?????

What about Billy?????

He is full of personality, just can't enough of the footy!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

stonecold wrote:
St. Paul wrote:

Did you sit in the Huggins Stand?????

What about Billy?????

He is full of personality, just can't enough of the footy!!!!!
Yeah... Milney, Roo, Lennyyy.... G TRAINNNNNNN.... and silky smooth Nicky Dal... all great reasons to pack snacks, a thermus and head down to the Docklands for the afternoon.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:There can be no argument that Steven & Carlisle are A Graders.
Maybe ask a non Saints supporter. I think you'll get plenty of argument. Steven can't handle a tag as a rule. Carlisle is our closest to A grade
Yeah, Steven drops to a 25 possession game when tagged...honestly, has he ever been tagged out of a game, except when he's labouring with a busted lung?