Carlisle free kick

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: Carlisle free kick

SydneySainter wrote:Like I’ve said previously, I couldn’t pick a free in real time or on the replay.

At a different angle though, it definitely seems like a free was there.

I do disagree with the consensus that it was a free everyday of the week, as I do think defenders are often allowed a bit of leaniancy when it comes to those contests.

But let’s say for arguments sake that it would be a free 9 times out of 10. I would also say that 9 times out of 10, free or no free, Carlisle marks! He has the best pair of hands in the team and he would normally have no trouble clunking that. Yes, he worked his butt off and was spent at the end, so no surprise he couldn’t take it one clean grab, but that’s just football.
Was a free.............

But as you say Carlisle prob should have marked............

Steven disposal was the biggest error..............jake had separation from opponent............just needed a dinky kick (robert harvey like) so jake could have marked
easily

saint4life
Grimfang
Club Player

We got pinged for "holding the man" at one point in the 3rd quarter. Centre square, right after a ball-up..... for tackling the GWS player who had the ball. The ball didn't spill, he made no effort to get rid of it but it was deemed to be holding the man.
Not sure which rules the umpires were using at one point.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons; for you are a quick and tasty morsel.
GSG
Club Player

Grimfang wrote: Not sure which rules the umpires were using at one point.
Maybe we should ask the Bulldogs to reveal their secret to get all those fee kicks. In their game against Sydney, they got 13 more free kicks, and yesterday against Freo it was 10 more free kicks.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Grimfang wrote:We got pinged for "holding the man" at one point in the 3rd quarter. Centre square, right after a ball-up..... for tackling the GWS player who had the ball. The ball didn't spill, he made no effort to get rid of it but it was deemed to be holding the man.
Probably the one where Ross tackled the guy before he got the ball.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

GSG wrote:
Maybe we should ask the Bulldogs to reveal their secret to get all those fee kicks. In their game against Sydney, they got 13 more free kicks, and yesterday against Freo it was 10 more free kicks.

1. Contribute to their Chrismas Fund
2. Take them to dinner once a week.
3. Simply bribe them,or
4. Let them bonk your sister.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Grimfang wrote:We got pinged for "holding the man" at one point in the 3rd quarter. Centre square, right after a ball-up..... for tackling the GWS player who had the ball. The ball didn't spill, he made no effort to get rid of it but it was deemed to be holding the man.
What about the free when two GWS players collided with each other.

Admittedly a saints player bumped one of those players but imho the bump was fair and was to the side and not in the back.

Lets face it, where the saints are concerned the maggots suck. Week after frigging week.
Q

portosaint
Club Player

saynta wrote:
GSG wrote:

3. Simply bribe them,or
I don't have a sister but my brother is single 8-)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

portosaint wrote:
saynta wrote:
GSG wrote:

3. Simply bribe them,or
That might still work, we are afterall talking about those little fleas.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Watching live on tv camera angle, which I think was inline with the ump, didn’t look like a free, so understandable it wasn’t paid. On replay from different angles tho looked like a free.

Watching the North v Hawks game right now, plenty of bizarre and missed decisions going both ways, a few similar to Carlisle, almost like the umps make mistakes regardless of who is playing...

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

There are three maggots at every game.

No excuse for none of them being in the right position. None.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Quick Poll:

Who said this?
"I'm not too concerned about it. I think that's just footy, isn't it? I got away with one."

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Phil the dill.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

I might be wrong - but I feel that Saynta pimping HIS sister will swing the deal
PS not a free kick

Seeya
degruch
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:Watching live on tv camera angle, which I think was inline with the ump, didn’t look like a free, so understandable it wasn’t paid. On replay from different angles tho looked like a free.

Watching the North v Hawks game right now, plenty of bizarre and missed decisions going both ways, a few similar to Carlisle, almost like the umps make mistakes regardless of who is playing...
I don't think anyone is arguing its not a free, because it was that obvious, it's how it was missed that's the question. I was on the opposite side to Davis' arm...in the stands...and it was clearly a free from where I was. How can 3 umpires at ground level miss it?

barneyboyz
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote:Like I’ve said previously, I couldn’t pick a free in real time or on the replay.

At a different angle though, it definitely seems like a free was there.

I do disagree with the consensus that it was a free everyday of the week, as I do think defenders are often allowed a bit of leaniancy when it comes to those contests.

But let’s say for arguments sake that it would be a free 9 times out of 10. I would also say that 9 times out of 10, free or no free, Carlisle marks! He has the best pair of hands in the team and he would normally have no trouble clunking that. Yes, he worked his butt off and was spent at the end, so no surprise he couldn’t take it one clean grab, but that’s just football.
That different angle looks like it's a totally different contest. I couldn't understand while watching on telly later :)

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Winmore
Club Player

No free kick. For Chrissakes, man up. We had chances, we blew it.

Great effort by the boys.

Ape_Man
Club Player

It's pretty easy.

Stuv overkicked.

Carlisle should have marked.

Umpires missed the high contact.

So a regular inside 50 for us.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
The_Dud wrote:Watching live on tv camera angle, which I think was inline with the ump, didn’t look like a free, so understandable it wasn’t paid. On replay from different angles tho looked like a free.

I don't think anyone is arguing its not a free, because it was that obvious, it's how it was missed that's the question. I was on the opposite side to Davis' arm...in the stands...and it was clearly a free from where I was. How can 3 umpires at ground level miss it?
Apart from sunsaint.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

kalsaint
Club Player

ace wrote:
portosaint wrote:I don't think so. He wrapped them up all game... If he got his mitts around it Davis had no hope. Unfortunate
His hands were to flat the ball bounced out and then Davis hit the ball away with his fist.
Davis going for the ball, no free.
Carlisle dropped the mark but Jack Steven delivered the ball too long and high.
The kick needed to be in front of Carlisle so Davis is out of the picture but likely to give away a free for crashing into the back of Carlisle if Carlisle drops the mark.

Very true but we didn't lose the potential win due to umpiring.

Great effort for this game but kicking skills to forwards and poor conversion have came back to haunt us again.

Would have loved the win but we cant expect wins until kicking issues aren't resolved.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
degruch
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
degruch wrote:

Apart from sunsaint.

A couple classic trolling efforts aside, of course. :lol:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
saynta wrote:
degruch wrote:

Apart from sunsaint.

A couple classic trolling efforts aside, of course. :lol:

:? :? :? :?

Hey, even Robbo said it was a free.

"7. IT WAS A FREE KICK

Mostly everything we saw in the contest between Jake Carlisle and Phil Davis in the final seconds on Saturday were mistakes. 1) Davis let Carlisle go at the ball while he was hedging whether to go to the goal square or not. 2) Carlisle dropped an easy mark. 3) Davis charged at Carlisle and had his arm around Carlisle’s neck a second after he made the spoil and 4) — which is more critical — the umpire clearly didn’t see the incident and nor did the two non-officiating umpires. That’s the only conclusion you could make because it was a free kick. It cost St Kilda the match after St Kilda cost itself the match with another horrid display inside-50m. St Kilda has won the inside-50 count in three of its five matches, but has converted only 17 per cent of inside-50s into goals, which is ranked 18th. This is a disease at Moorabbin."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/e ... 3661247218

Oh, and just because I want to.

"6. BEN LONG

The young Saint took the coaches and leadership group to the Tiwi Islands before the season which displayed his investment in the club and the club’s investment in him. Both parties are being rewarded. Through the woes this season, coach Alan Richardson has lauded Long for being the club’s most effective forward. It didn’t let up against the Giants. It was the 20-year-old’s ninth game and it was career highs in contested disposals (nine), metres gained (223) and pressure points (54). His goal from the pocket and his calmness and instruction with the ball in the game’s final play was exemplary"

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:There are three maggots at every game.

I watched again this morning to try to see where the other umpires were. Understandably the guy at right angles to the contest who was closest might not have seen the high contact. But the guy who was on the corner of the square just a couple of seconds earlier, could not have been much farther away and on a much better angle. Maybe too timid to over rule the closer guy.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:

I watched again this morning to try to see where the other umpires were. Understandably the guy at right angles to the contest who was closest might not have seen the high contact. But the guy who was on the corner of the square just a couple of seconds earlier, could not have been much farther away and on a much better angle. Maybe too timid to over rule the closer guy.
\

Thanks mate.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:

If it was #24 on the corner of the square he was statistically biased against the Saints all day.

minneapolis
Club Player

portosaint wrote:
saynta wrote:
GSG wrote:

3. Simply bribe them,or
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.