Massive pressure on Newnes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Massive pressure on Newnes

Extremely lucky to get a game. I guess Mr Conservative hates making changes every week and has a few favourites still.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: Massive pressure on Newnes

Newnes has a huge heart and gives everything.
Leaves nothing on the field.
Didn't some fans say that after the Norf game, Newnes
was looking really peed off as he trudged off?

Unfortunately,
he has little skill or game sense.
Look, he may have skills,
but it is rarely on show and I can't recall him really having a 'positive' (yes, Richo)
impact on a game.
I like/love his desire, but his execution falls well short of adequate.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Raph Goat Clarke
Club Player

I used to agree with you but after seeing Newnes kick it out on the fool which resulted in a goal in which he didn't give a s*** about. Pretty shithouse

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

He's out of form like alot players at the moment. He has been a good servant and is a solid B grade player that can find the footy most weeks. He will never be A grade and if he gets replaced by someone better this year or next then so be it. Still required on the list as he provides depth but he needs to fix up his field kicking mistakes.

Still 7th in total disposals for Saints this year too.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

One of the bellwether players. You know you are unlikely to get finals wins or beat the top sides if he is in the run on side. Others are S. Savage, Lonie, Brown, Stevens and Wright. Just making up numbers or in Brown's case being large body in defence, but no oomph/hurtfullness.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

I remember some games in 2016/17 where
in my uneducated layman's opinion, I could see
flashes of 'what might be' and some promising signs,
but his overall output appeared to be just barely adequate.
Seeing him named in the leadership group confirmed
my hopes that he could be valuable.
But he appears to have gone backwards and
I am terribly saddened.
I hope that his decline is due to poor coaching,
and if the coaches are replaced by some expert minds
who can polish this fading gem, get him
up and about,
he could be a solid A- (a wild desperate dream)
I want nothing more than to see him shine.
I really believe he can be an honest GOP
that might be better than just depth.
Ya gotta have hope.
It's all we frickin have.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote:One of the bellwether players. You know you are unlikely to get finals wins or beat the top sides if he is in the run on side. Others are S. Savage, Lonie, Brown, Stevens and Wright. Just making up numbers or in Brown's case being large body in defence, but no oomph/hurtfullness.
Spot on he's a clogger and foot skills not up to it under pressure
Again ffs this should be recruiting non negotiable - take a look st Coffield early days.....he's already ahead of Newnes here .....just another in a litany of saints "top up" players who would not get a game in the good sides and that HAS to be the recruitment benchmark does it not?????
Wright the same - can't kick
Lonie - can't find it

FFS play Rice? Try some of those who haven't had a look in? At least see IF they have some skills in heat of kitchen and tell Armo he's now a filler player only - he'll see a few VFL games

“Yeah….nah””
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Yorkeys wrote:One of the bellwether players. You know you are unlikely to get finals wins or beat the top sides if he is in the run on side. Others are S. Savage, Lonie, Brown, Stevens and Wright. Just making up numbers or in Brown's case being large body in defence, but no oomph/hurtfullness.
Again ffs this should be recruiting non negotiable - take a look st Coffield early days.....he's already ahead of Newnes here .....just another in a litany of saints "top up" players who would not get a game in the good sides and that HAS to be the recruitment benchmark does it not?????
Lonie - can't find it

FFS play Rice? Try some of those who haven't had a look in? At least see IF they have some skills in heat of kitchen and tell Armo he's now a filler player only - he'll see a few VFL games
Armo a "filler"?
OMG elizabethr and woodrow will crack it big time

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Lonie - can't find it

Armo a "filler"?
OMG elizabethr and woodrow will crack it big time
Yep now known as "poly"armourous

“Yeah….nah””
bigred
Saintsational Legend

He really is rolling on down Clogger street.

Coach is backing him in for this one I reckon.

His disposal is just terrible atm...

And he is just going missing.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
portosaint
Club Player

Very lucky. Bailey Rice must wonder what he has to do

shrodes
SS Life Member

He was absolutely hopeless last week. Particularly with blazing at goal instead of passing to open teammates.

With that said, he was first to notice and rush over to Roberton, so perhaps he was a bit mentally done after that happened. See how he goes this week.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Should have been dropped

#1 Ryder fan
degruch
Saintsational Legend

portosaint wrote:Very lucky. Bailey Rice must wonder what he has to do
Very surprised, been doing well in the VFL, could have been a direct replacement for Robbo, but now it seems we'll be playing someone out of position as we load up on midfielders/forwards. There's holes everywhere at the moment though, so who you can select just about anyone and achieve the same awful team balance.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Lonie - can't find it

Armo is too good a player at VFL level. He just needs a few games under his belt after a year off.

I agree with you on Rice.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Was never ever ever going to be dropped with Roberton out.

We've officially turned into BigFooty, where it's better to be young than good.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

What do you mean? Has he been starring at the Zebras this year? That's not what I've heard: I've heard he played two pretty ordinary games.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
outside66
Club Player

I think the issue with Newnes is that he has been played more in the middle and wing lately whereas in the past (when he's played his best footy) he was coming off the back flank. I noticed on the team sheet that he is listed on the flank with Geary pushed up to the wing. Newnes does have a good leg on him and I think he's better suited to behind the ball.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

bigred wrote:He really is rolling on down Clogger street.

His disposal has actually been terrible for a very, very long time. One of those bizarre players who looks like he kicks the footy beautifully - except they rarely hit a target (goal or person).

I've been saying it forever - whilst any of Newnes, Geary and Gilbert (let alone all 3) are in our team - we'll not win anything of consequence and certainly nothing with any pressure in it. You simply cannot have 1/6th of your team who are more likely to miss a target by foot (over any distance) than not. Especially when 2 or those 3 play behind the ball.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintly66
Club Player

degruch wrote:
Very surprised, been doing well in the VFL, could have been a direct replacement for Robbo, but now it seems we'll be playing someone out of position as we load up on midfielders/forwards. There's holes everywhere at the moment though, so who you can select just about anyone and achieve the same awful team balance.
Doubt he’ll hang around to be honest, seriously why would you?
In regards to the club why sign the kid for another two years if the head coach has no intention of playing him.
I get at the start he wasn’t that professional but he has smartened up since then and still no game.
When Webster was out for two last year after the Perth game he should have been picked.
Richo has probably just blown hot wind up his arse like he does with others.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Saintly66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
Doubt he’ll hang around to be honest, seriously why would you?
In regards to the club why sign the kid for another two years if the head coach has no intention of playing him.
I get at the start he wasn’t that professional but he has smartened up since then and still no game.
When Webster was out for two last year after the Perth game he should have been picked.
Richo has probably just blown hot wind up his arse like he does with others.
The only place we've ever had depth was down back, so that's a bit of bad luck for him...but the depth has dwindled through injury and poor form, whilst he's been featuring regularly in the best's for the VFL, I can't see why he hasn't been given a run THB. Mind you, that stupid AFLX game was a bloody disaster for him...he was appalling!

I agree with you, he must be looking at Carlton and thinking "yeah, I'd still be in a crap team, but at least I'd have 30-40 games under my belt by now", but he knew he'd have to be good to push for a spot amongst our team of half backs.

portosaint
Club Player

meher baba wrote:
What do you mean? Has he been starring at the Zebras this year? That's not what I've heard: I've heard he played two pretty ordinary games.
I haven't seen heaps of him first hand due to distance, but I get kept in the loop by a close mate who is a pretty good judge IMO.

I wouldn't say 'starring', but I'm sure quite a few on here who get to see him a bit would agree that he's been solid. A natural, smart, proper footballer who can use the ball well and more importantly, to advantage. Clean ball use off half back is essential. If he touched it half as many times as Newnes, it would be a win. But thats only my opinion.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote:
bigred wrote:He really is rolling on down Clogger street.

His disposal has actually been terrible for a very, very long time. One of those bizarre players who looks like he kicks the footy beautifully - except they rarely hit a target (goal or person).

I've been saying it forever - whilst any of Newnes, Geary and Gilbert (let alone all 3) are in our team - we'll not win anything of consequence and certainly nothing with any pressure in it. You simply cannot have 1/6th of your team who are more likely to miss a target by foot (over any distance) than not. Especially when 2 or those 3 play behind the ball.
I agree it’s not just this bad stretch I’m talking bout Newnes is ordinary by and could not agree more we carry to many of them
Last edited by Teflon on Fri 20 Apr 2018 10:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Yeah….nah””
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Can someone clarify if Newnes was injured during pre-season? Sure I read it on here.
It might explain an average start to the year a bit.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Myron Gaines
Club Player

Blokes had 3 tackles all year. He’s coasting. Trade him for whatever we can get.