It will take 10 years to get our club back on track

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

One Eyed Saint
Club Player

It will take 10 years to get our club back on track

it will take us 10 years to:

* Re-establish our presence back in Bayside
* Leverage that presence to grow membership
* Deliver higher member game attendance figures
* Recruit and retain more skilled and capable Football and Executive administration
* Fixes the unbalanced salary cap
* Attract and retain major sponsors
* Improve significantly our development of young elite footballers
* Attract and retain free agents and stars from other successful clubs
* Pay off all our debt
* Become profitable
* Recruit a gun coach
* Develop a game style that wins big matches on the G against the best teams
* Contend for a flag

That might come across as a doomsday view but from my perspective that is our reality.

I hope I am wrong but I fear that I am not.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: It will take 10 years to get our club back on track

One Eyed Saint wrote:it will take us 10 years to:

* Recruit and retain more skilled and capable Football and Executive administration
* Pay off all our debt
* Become profitable
* Recruit a gun coach
* Contend for a flag

That might come across as a doomsday view but from my perspective that is our reality.

The debt worries me BUT this bayside dream is the biggest nothing in football. I've been hearing it for years, and the Saints have been based out there for decades. Nothing comes from it - either they arnt doing a good job, people in this area follow another team or people in this area just don't go to the football. It's never going to produce an advantage nor is it ever going to increase our support base.

Teams like Collingwood, Richmond and Hawthorn just build followers across the entire city. Not limited to regions.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

* Pay off all our debt
* Become profitable
* Recruit a gun coach
* Contend for a flag

The debt worries me BUT this bayside dream is the biggest nothing in football. I've been hearing it for years, and the Saints have been based out there for decades. Nothing comes from it - either they arnt doing a good job, people in this area follow another team or people in this area just don't go to the football. It's never going to produce an advantage nor is it ever going to increase our support base.

Teams like Collingwood, Richmond and Hawthorn just build followers across the entire city. Not limited to regions.
Fair point. It has been 25 years since we’ve played for points at Moorabbin - but if you look at our supporter base at games, many would still remember the Moorabbin days!

I’d love to see an age bracket breakdown on supporters (percentage wise) on a club by club basis. I reckon our demographic is skewed much older than possibly every other club.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Spinner wrote:

* Pay off all our debt
* Become profitable
* Recruit a gun coach
* Contend for a flag

Fair point. It has been 25 years since we’ve played for points at Moorabbin - but if you look at our supporter base at games, many would still remember the Moorabbin days!

I’d love to see an age bracket breakdown on supporters (percentage wise) on a club by club basis. I reckon our demographic is skewed much older than possibly every other club.
Have a look at all the golf clappers that turn up to a Sydney game in their South Melbourne gear...they're all a million years old! There's your Bayside crowd. Our membership growth would be offset but the mortality rate. Anyway, there are more pressing issues onfield and in the coaching and football departments that will affect our direction before we need to worry about location. We reportedly have one of the largest followings of the Victorian clubs, but lack of any sustained onfield success means only a small percentage are converted to memberships.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

The fortune of a footy club can turn around very quickly.

I only really have a major concern on the debt but that will diminish over time. They are getting onto it and the new stadium deal will help. Moving home bases twice within a decade didn't help, but now we have a world class facility to call home.

Onfield. The club just needs to start winning again and playing finals which will happen. It will increase membership massively IMO (which is currently quite good anyway), attract more sponsors (which is currently quite good anyway), get more supporters to Etihad again and increase revenue. Its a no brainer that the Saints onfield success is our most important issue going forward the next 5 years.

We are keeping our talent also - of all ages. We have not lost anyone in the past 5 years. The playing group seems committed to sticking together.

We DO need to start get the right FA through the door though. Its alot harder to achieve than people think but it will happen at some stage. Maybe trading in someone is another option.

Contending for a flag? That is anyone's guess. It could take 10 years, but who knows it could be 3 or 5. Again, the fortunes of footy club can turn very quickly. The history of the VFL/AFL proves this. Lets not be too doom and gloom about it all.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

parkeysainter wrote:The fortune of a footy club can turn around very quickly.

I only really have a major concern on the debt but that will diminish over time. They are getting onto it and the new stadium deal will help. Moving home bases twice within a decade didn't help, but now we have a world class facility to call home.

Onfield. The club just needs to start winning again and playing finals which will happen. It will increase membership massively IMO (which is currently quite good anyway), attract more sponsors (which is currently quite good anyway), get more supporters to Etihad again and increase revenue. Its a no brainer that the Saints onfield success is our most important issue going forward the next 5 years.

We are keeping our talent also - of all ages. We have not lost anyone in the past 5 years. The playing group seems committed to sticking together.

We DO need to start get the right FA through the door though. Its alot harder to achieve than people think but it will happen at some stage. Maybe trading in someone is another option.

Contending for a flag? That is anyone's guess. It could take 10 years, but who knows it could be 3 or 5. Again, the fortunes of footy club can turn very quickly. The history of the VFL/AFL proves this. Lets not be too doom and gloom about it all.
I can tell you that the FA thing will now become a LOT more achievable. One of the massive sticking points on that front has always been Seaford (like it or lump it - it's a fact). Due to both distance from the CBD / where players want to live and also, the poor state of the relatively new facility. It was very much a factor in us not being able to meaningfully attract FA's.

Having said that though - a nice new facility in a more amenable location counts for little if the playing (i.e. winning) side of things remains in its present state of malaise.

Go you red, black & white warriors
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Saintmatt wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:The fortune of a footy club can turn around very quickly.

I can tell you that the FA thing will now become a LOT more achievable. One of the massive sticking points on that front has always been Seaford (like it or lump it - it's a fact). Due to both distance from the CBD / where players want to live and also, the poor state of the relatively new facility. It was very much a factor in us not being able to meaningfully attract FA's.

Having said that though - a nice new facility in a more amenable location counts for little if the playing (i.e. winning) side of things remains in its present state of malaise.
Agreed. Imagine showing a FA or trade target through the doors of Moorabbin at the end of the year. Then the future plans for the entire complex. It would be enticing for anyone given the locality to the fabulous bayside suburbs of Melbourne also. They are the best suburbs in Melbourne and Moorabbin is only 5-15 minutes drive from them. These FA's could afford a good place in Brighton for example.

Also agreed. The side needs to show more to help attract FA's but if you were Jeremy McGovern and the Saints offered you 1 million a year for 7 years would you take it? I would. It would setup up your family and kids futures for the next 100 years.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Some thoughts....

* Re-establish our presence back in Bayside We've been doing this for years, we never really left the Bayside. I don't live in the Bayside area and feel like I might as well support an interstate team, given the ignorance of the club to acknowledge support in the rest of Melb.
* Leverage that presence to grow membership Membership is 2nd highest in history (and will finish as the record), despite our awful start to the year. Ahead of Dogs, North and Melbourne, despite significantly more positivity around each of those sides.
* Deliver higher member game attendance figures Will come with on field success. Getting Min 30k during the RL years was because we were winning.
* Recruit and retain more skilled and capable Football and Executive administration Yep
* Fixes the unbalanced salary cap How?? By paying overs for mid-range free agents?? The cap is the least of our problems, it's not 2010 anymore
* Attract and retain major sponsors Yep
* Improve significantly our development of young elite footballers Yep
* Attract and retain free agents and stars from other successful clubs Yep
* Pay off all our debt Yep
* Become profitable Will come with "Recruiting and retaining capable staff"
* Recruit a gun coach Yep, step 1. I still have hope Richo and his team can become this, but it's getting harder to believe every week
* Develop a game style that wins big matches on the G against the best teams Step 2
* Contend for a flag Step 3

Geez we need a win - hopefully this "sky is falling" attitude will subside a little bit.

We need to come with grips with the fact we are, and always will be, one of the "have-nots". We will never have the cash to splash on an Al Clarkson-type supercoach, we need to hope we get lucky with all the appointments we make within our means.

one point
Club Player

Hawthorn were a have not until winning their second flag in 1071. It’s amazing what a good Board, Good administration and a good coach can do to a club over a period of time.

one point
Club Player

Try again with 1971 rather than 1071

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Flag fortunes can turn around very quickly once your core players move into the mature age profile - you only have to look at Richmond, Bulldogs, Geelong and Collingwood - all struggling and then BAM

We might not be traveling great at the moment but we have a very young core who still coming together and there are a few teams above us with core players coming into their twighlight years

Lot of Henny Penny's on this site - stay patient people

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Imagine its 1994 or 1995 again. The Spice Girls and Oasis were in their prime.

Would any Saints fans or expert have picked the Saints to finish top of the ladder and play in a GF in 1997 only 2-3 years later?

NO. Fortunes of footy clubs can turn quite quickly. There are tons of examples such as this throughout the history of the VFL/AFL. Yep. It sucks to be patient, but guess what? That is just a part of the crazy thing called life and following the Saints! :D

bigred
Saintsational Legend

We were in worse shape in 1997 over the first month were we not?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

St Chris wrote:Some thoughts....

* Re-establish our presence back in Bayside We've been doing this for years, we never really left the Bayside. I don't live in the Bayside area and feel like I might as well support an interstate team, given the ignorance of the club to acknowledge support in the rest of Melb.
* Leverage that presence to grow membership Membership is 2nd highest in history (and will finish as the record), despite our awful start to the year. Ahead of Dogs, North and Melbourne, despite significantly more positivity around each of those sides.
* Deliver higher member game attendance figures Will come with on field success. Getting Min 30k during the RL years was because we were winning.
* Recruit and retain more skilled and capable Football and Executive administration Yep
* Fixes the unbalanced salary cap How?? By paying overs for mid-range free agents?? The cap is the least of our problems, it's not 2010 anymore
* Attract and retain major sponsors Yep
* Improve significantly our development of young elite footballers Yep
* Attract and retain free agents and stars from other successful clubs Yep
* Pay off all our debt Yep
* Become profitable Will come with "Recruiting and retaining capable staff"
* Recruit a gun coach Yep, step 1. I still have hope Richo and his team can become this, but it's getting harder to believe every week
* Develop a game style that wins big matches on the G against the best teams Step 2
* Contend for a flag Step 3

Geez we need a win - hopefully this "sky is falling" attitude will subside a little bit.

We need to come with grips with the fact we are, and always will be, one of the "have-nots". We will never have the cash to splash on an Al Clarkson-type supercoach, we need to hope we get lucky with all the appointments we make within our means.

I really like your answers. It's the on field stuff that's overshadowing EVERYTHING at the moment. I feel like the club has worked really had to build a strong foundation to reduce debt and become more commercially viable moving forward. Yeah... wouldn't a win against the Giants be a huge breath of fresh air.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

bigred wrote:We were in worse shape in 1997 over the first month were we not?
Yep. Going woeful.

Check out this great youtube vid. The Mission. Oh the memories.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

parkeysainter wrote:
bigred wrote:We were in worse shape in 1997 over the first month were we not?
Yep. Going woeful.

Check out this great youtube vid. The Mission. Oh the memories.
Ahhh.... 1997... probably still my favourite year of AFL footy. hmmm 97, 04 then 09...

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Bloody hell that '97 side had so many skilled players. And then we ending up finishing nowhere 4 years later with Timmy W at the helm.

One Eyed Saint
Club Player

A few years ago results like tonight would get me incredibly upset and frustrated.

Not any more..

I have now set my expectations so low that this will be our brand of footy for the next 1-2 years.

As per my original post, until we put all of the fundamentals in place on and off field at our footy club we are going nowhere.

I have no more expectations that we will win.

I just hope that the point at which we bottom out and start improving comes sooner rather than later.....

The saddest thing is that as a footy club we are not respected nor admired in the AFL community.

We are treated with contempt and that cuts to the core to all of us.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The club needs regime change.
Guys like Matt Finnis are AFL drones.
The fact we took an asshole like Lethlean when nobody else would shows what a pissant club we are.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 29 Apr 2018 1:44am, edited 1 time in total.

St. Paul
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:The club needs regime change.
The fact we took an asshole like Lethlean when nobody else would shows what pissant club we are.
I hate to agree with you, Con, but I must concede it's true. Whatever you think of the Lethlean saga, a club such as ours, which has struggled to rehabilitate its image especially when it comes to the treatment of women, shouldn't have touched him with a barge pole. Let the AFL find another patsy to revive his career. We are in a deep hole at the moment and those who are to blame are the Board, the administration and the coaches. The tradition continues.

"For when I am powerless, then I am strong."
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

St. Paul wrote:

We are in a deep hole at the moment and those who are to blame are the Board, the administration and the coaches. The tradition continues.
Nailed it.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

St. Paul wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:The club needs regime change.
The fact we took an asshole like Lethlean when nobody else would shows what pissant club we are.
I hate to agree with you, Con, but I must concede it's true. Whatever you think of the Lethlean saga, a club such as ours, which has struggled to rehabilitate its image especially when it comes to the treatment of women, shouldn't have touched him with a barge pole. Let the AFL find another patsy to revive his career. We are in a deep hole at the moment and those who are to blame are the Board, the administration and the coaches. The tradition continues.
+ 1

David-Lee
Club Player

Devilhead wrote:Flag fortunes can turn around very quickly once your core players move into the mature age profile - you only have to look at Richmond, Bulldogs, Geelong and Collingwood - all struggling and then BAM

We might not be traveling great at the moment but we have a very young core who still coming together and there are a few teams above us with core players coming into their twighlight years

Lot of Henny Penny's on this site - stay patient people

How many times does the bulls*** Richmond myth need to be dispelled?

They had a kick ass team for YEARS, they had 1 bad season for
Various reasons then won the lot the next....people easily forget.

2012 10 wins 1 draw 11 losses played finals
2013 15 wins 7 losses played finals
2014 12 wins 10 losses played finals
2015 15 wins 7 losses played finals
2016 8 wins 14 losses no finals
2017 15 wins 7 losses played finals

Geelong? Seriously bro? Have you been watching the AFL over the past 40 years?
Hell Geelong look like a powerhouse....over the past 40 seasons they have had 28 winning seasons and 12 seasons where they lost more than they won (2 of those seasons at 10 win 11 losses they still played finals).
They've won more games than they lost since 2003 ( finished 10w 11 L) the past 14 years ALL winning seasons.

Doesn't look like a team that was rubbish then just magically became grand finalists. Pinning our Hope on these lies that people who love the club spew, is not healthy. They try to get people to think we are one magic lever being pulled from being a winning team. We are rubbish. Since Ross the Boss rolled out of town we have spent almost a decade making excuses and let the club flush itself down the toilet.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
St. Paul wrote:

We are in a deep hole at the moment and those who are to blame are the Board, the administration and the coaches. The tradition continues.
Nailed it.
Agree.

We were forced into AFL control with Finnis in charge due to the previous incompetence board we had.

We are a soulless club due to the continual cycle of pathetic boards and now we have to rely on the AFL to run us like the Gold Coast.

It’s crazy considering our bayside presence. I really do wonder had we been able to build the new Moorabbin back in 2010ish when we moved to Seaford how different things may have been.

Anyway, we are probably stuck with the Finnis/Summers model due to the lack of a viable alternative ticket.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

David-lee is spot on.

The club cultists are trying to string people along with the lie that at some point in the near future everything will click in to gear at once. Just the flick of the switch. The exact same people saying JLT means nothing. Last season means nothing. The flick will be switched.
The old 'next bottle of tonic will be the cure'.
This is nonsense. We are being administered the wrong tonic.
Richmond and Tigers were going much better than people make out before they won a flag.
The sky isn't falling.
It actually caved in in Rd 17 last year.
What we need to do is acknowledge that we are at rock bottom and starting the rebuild from now.