Sloan update

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Recruit
Club Player

Sloan update

I spoke to a work collegue who knows Roary Sloan’s parents as good family friends. Asked her if Sloan was coming to the Saints. She said that Sloan had no interest in leaving the crows.

He said

“Why would I play for a team that has so far to go, I won’t make a difference to them.”
“If I go to Saints they will be expecting me to carry a massive load in the midfield and I am not sure I want to do that.”

By all accounts he is looking to stay a Crow and is just fishing for more cash and a longer contract.

I know this can all change but with the loss of Leaver, Dangerfield, Davis........not sure they will look to trade Sloan for a priority pick. So at this stage Sloan is less than a 20% chance of being a saint next year.

I have been adimant that he would be a saint next year even captain but this source is very good and I have now pretty much conceded he won’t be at our club next year....just not attractive enough prospect for him.......yet :wink:

stonecold
SS Life Member

Re: Sloan update

Good news, he is too old for us and cannot handle a decent tag anyway, all the best to him at the crows though!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

As per last season, as long as we keep getting thumped, no star player will have any interest in the Saints.

To lure Sloane, it would have to be an offer he just can't refuse, which assuming he's on around $800k at the Crows, we would have to offer Sloane at least $1.2 to $1.3 mill a year, which would be stupid.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

No great drama. Won't he be a shade under 30? Also, I agree he has appeared vunerable to a hard tag.

Tom Libratore should be seriously considered, although I think he'll stay at the Dogs. Other than that we're going to need to get someone that's contracted, the Bulldogs did it with Boyd, and of course go after Gaff.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Linton Lodger wrote:No great drama. Won't he be a shade under 30? Also, I agree he has appeared vunerable to a hard tag.

Tom Libratore should be seriously considered, although I think he'll stay at the Dogs. Other than that we're going to need to get someone that's contracted, the Bulldogs did it with Boyd, and of course go after Gaff.
Also Libba has done a 2nd ACL, so bit of a risk!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
kalsaint
Club Player

The Recruit wrote:I spoke to a work collegue who knows Roary Sloan’s parents as good family friends. Asked her if Sloan was coming to the Saints. She said that Sloan had no interest in leaving the crows.

He said

“Why would I play for a team that has so far to go, I won’t make a difference to them.”
“If I go to Saints they will be expecting me to carry a massive load in the midfield and I am not sure I want to do that.”

By all accounts he is looking to stay a Crow and is just fishing for more cash and a longer contract.

I know this can all change but with the loss of Leaver, Dangerfield, Davis........not sure they will look to trade Sloan for a priority pick. So at this stage Sloan is less than a 20% chance of being a saint next year.

I have been adimant that he would be a saint next year even captain but this source is very good and I have now pretty much conceded he won’t be at our club next year....just not attractive enough prospect for him.......yet :wink:
Agree. If Sloane isn't keen on taking on the responsibility we had better look elsewhere if anyone will look at us. I know Carlisle was very keen to be a leader at the club so there may be more if haven't ruined our reputation recently too much.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Yeah look Sloan would be a nice addition, but his age is really the issue.

That and he can only bust a tag one out of five times or so...

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintbob
SS Life Member

No great loss and the Eagles can keep Gaff as well

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:No great loss and the Eagles can keep Gaff as well
What the?

It’s it like we don’t need some decent players

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

We need 27 year olds and below.
Don't blame Sloane for not wanting to finish his career in a team that looks to be lost in the desert.

Nee!
SinCitySainter
Club Player

Not getting Sloane is fine his age does not suit our age profile.

Libba is not the right player for us. He is a strong in and under ball fetcher.
That is the only area in the midfield that we don't have a problem.

Gaff we should be all over.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

I believe the Crows already have 2 guaranteed draft picks in the first round, I'm sure they could give a stuff about another...they're nicely set up for a decade or so in the top 4, even having lost several players of the quality we can only dream of in the last few seasons.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:I believe the Crows already have 2 guaranteed draft picks in the first round, I'm sure they could give a stuff about another...they're nicely set up for a decade or so in the top 4, even having lost several players of the quality we can only dream of in the last few seasons.
There are at least three Sth Aussies and possibly 5 that the crows are looking at for this years draft

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 4ab8902e81

and

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 28f6e15d59

Judd reckons the crows will have up to 6 first round selections are are after home grown talent.

but read this

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... d3f11a0f29
Last edited by saynta on Thu 19 Apr 2018 11:36am, edited 3 times in total.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn’t give too much credence to what a friend of a friend of a friend says.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
degruch
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
degruch wrote:I believe the Crows already have 2 guaranteed draft picks in the first round, I'm sure they could give a stuff about another...they're nicely set up for a decade or so in the top 4, even having lost several players of the quality we can only dream of in the last few seasons.
There are at least three Sth Aussies and possibly 5 that the crows are looking at for this years draft

and

Judd reckons the crows will have up to 6 first round selections are are after home grown talent.

but read this

Murdoch rag...can't see the article, sorry Saynta. They Crows are very well set anyways, Sloane would be mad to uproot his new family (I'm sure his wife has other things on her mind right now too) and put himself through the mental torture of playing for us...he will probably have 2-3 premiership medallions by the time he's finished in Adelaide.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
saynta wrote:

and

but read this

Murdoch rag...can't see the article, sorry Saynta. They Crows are very well set anyways, Sloane would be mad to uproot his new family (I'm sure his wife has other things on her mind right now too) and put himself through the mental torture of playing for us...he will probably have 2-3 premiership medallions by the time he's finished in Adelaide.
I will see if i can print some of the relevant bits, but at the moment my pc wont let me.. Farking computers,

saynta
Saintsational Legend

What Judd said

"ADELAIDE should take a long-term view and consider letting star midfielder Rory Sloane walk as a free agent at the end of the season, according to dual Brownlow Medallist Chris Judd.

With vice-captain Sloane turning 29 before the start of next season, Judd says the Crows — beaten grand finalists last year — have a rare opportunity to secure some top-end homegrown talent in this year’s AFL national draft.

South Australia has two likely top-five picks in Woodville-West Torrens key forward Jack Lukosius and lightning-quick West Adelaide midfielder/forward Izak Rankine.

North Adelaide midfielder/forward Connor Rozee and Central District onballer Jackson Hately also loom as potential top-10 selections.

“He’s going to be 29 next season,” Judd said of restricted free agent Sloane on Footy Classified.

“You almost wonder are you better off letting him go or trading him out and getting something in the door?

“Whoever takes him as a free agent is going to offer him significant coin, which figures in what compensation they get as a club.

“So it is something Adelaide should think about.’’

Victorian Sloane, who is the Crows’ best player, will become a restricted free agent at the end of the season.

While Adelaide has given every indication it wants to re-sign the dual club champion and 2016 All-Australian, Judd says it could be in the club’s best interests to move him on — either as a free agent or trade — to cash in on some strong compensation by securing some standout local talent.

This year’s national draft is said to be one of the strongest in years, with the Croweaters’ expected to have as many as six first-round selections.

When the Crows traded Sloane’s good mate and fellow gun midfielder Patrick Dangerfield to Geelong at the end of 2015 they gained picks nine, 28 and Dean Gore, who has since been delisted.

“South Australia has a few incredible early draft picks this year,” Judd said.

“The Crows have made no secret they’d love to get their hands on them.

“It will be interesting to see if that’s something they advocate for.”

Sloane, whose wife Belinda is expecting the couple’s first child this year, has played 169 matches for Adelaide since being drafted at pick 44 at the 2008 national draft.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Cheers Saynta. It's the same old FA argument year in year out...what a great system it is. :( Judd is probably right, but what Vic club needs him? I would have said the Dons were sitting pretty a year ago, but they plugged all their holes last trade period. Carlton, Collingwood, Saints, North, all too young and not contenders...Richmond, settled...Geelong, already too old...Melbourne and Hawthorn arguably not in need. Of course, he could always move to another state, especially given the other halves media quest. Anyways, out of the scope of the thread really.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Having watched our first 3 games we do not need a 28 year old. But with our list management team who knows what they will do ;(

Well not unless you can repeat what North did to win their first flag and get a swag of them all at once, and that is just not going to happen.

Someone like Gaff at 26 would be a much better fit. But the odds on gaining a youngish quality player like a Gaff are not good, and morseo if this season from hell continues.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Cheers Saynta. It's the same old FA argument year in year out...what a great system it is. :( Judd is probably right, but what Vic club needs him? I would have said the Dons were sitting pretty a year ago, but they plugged all their holes last trade period. Carlton, Collingwood, Saints, North, all too young and not contenders...Richmond, settled...Geelong, already too old...Melbourne and Hawthorn arguably not in need. Of course, he could always move to another state, especially given the other halves media quest. Anyways, out of the scope of the thread really.
I certainly wouldn't be giving up our first round draft pick for him, which could be in the top 5.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

As per the DeGoey thread we need some class on our list. BUT there are big pros and big cons that come with Sloane. He's a bigger fish than Degoey and would command a bigger salary. He's older and probably has about 2 good years left before he starts to decline. He always seems to have trouble handling a tag. In a relatively weak midfield like ours, that's an issue.

I personally would steer clear. We would need to give up too much for a guy who won't offer anything when we hopefully challenge again.

The Recruit
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:I wouldn’t give too much credence to what a friend of a friend of a friend says.
Unfortunately much more reliable than that.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

To old
We haven't started he rebuild yet

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

To old
We haven't started he rebuild yet
We ought to be asking the question this draft
Who on this list for us right now of quality do we put on the table for picks

“Yeah….nah””
supersaints
Club Player

Haven't changed my mind.... Sliane cannot handle a hard tag.. even struggles with a run
With tagger.. worse than Stevens ...
I'm sure we can do better

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!