Saints Tactics against Cats a concern

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

nw7
Club Player

Saints Tactics against Cats a concern

Watching the Monday night footy shows AFL 360 and On The Couch and how scathing they were on how the Saints played extra players at the contest and allowed the Cats to out number us in our forward line was a concern. The Cats had the game on their terms from the outset because of this. The look on Chris Scott's face when Richo was asked if he was easy to coach against said it all. How were we ever going to kick a winning score by doing this. I think our coaches are tactically challenged and way too negative, at centre clearances we have no one looking to win the ball we are more worried about our opponents getting the ball and tacking them once they have it. We gave the Cats the advantage they were trying to manoeuvre. Not smart coaching. When we are outnumbered by one and sometimes two its hard to lock the ball in the forward line, the Cats and Crows the week before just waltzed out of our forward line and our talls were outnumbered in the air. I hope our coaches change what they are doing so we can compete against GWS.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Re: Saints Tactics against Cats a concern

nw7 wrote:Watching the Monday night footy shows AFL 360 and On The Couch and how scathing they were on how the Saints played extra players at the contest and allowed the Cats to out number us in our forward line was a concern. The Cats had the game on their terms from the outset because of this. The look on Chris Scott's face when Richo was asked if he was easy to coach against said it all. How were we ever going to kick a winning score by doing this. I think our coaches are tactically challenged and way too negative, at centre clearances we have no one looking to win the ball we are more worried about our opponents getting the ball and tacking them once they have it. We gave the Cats the advantage they were trying to manoeuvre. Not smart coaching. When we are outnumbered by one and sometimes two its hard to lock the ball in the forward line, the Cats and Crows the week before just waltzed out of our forward line and our talls were outnumbered in the air. I hope our coaches change what they are doing so we can compete against GWS.
Given that we won (no smashed) clearances against one of the best combinations of Selwood and Dangerfield
A stacked backline was surprising
The combination of Hickey Marshall Ross Dunstan Steven reversed the trend from the last two games
We just couldn't capitalise & transfer the ball into our inside 50 from clearances and defensive 50 rebounded
Coach and team aren't on the same page going forward we need some inside info - jaxons and tony????

Seeya
stkfc1
Club Player

Re: Saints Tactics against Cats a concern

I think the coaches didnt trust our midfield to keep on top of Cats midfield all day and were waiting for the eventual 'clearance avalanche' that never occured. We set up all day for a scenario that never happened and played straight into the Cats hands. Chris Scott and co must have been laughing their arses off after the game. They didn't need to do a thing as the Saints coaches were already spooked and jumping at shadows. Game was lost before it began.