Dunstan should be our next skipper

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint wagga
Club Player

Re: Dunstan should be our next skipper

Con Gorozidis wrote:Sooner rather than later.

I'd also bring Rice in to the side. He is 21. Ready to go.
We need to start phasing Geary out of the side now.
He had a good long run but he has had his day.
Geary should play back pocket, should not leave defensive 50 and should have a handball to kick ratio of 10:1
He is a good lockdown of small forwards, that’s his lot in afl life, he is very good at it but for f*** sake coaches, he is not a rebounding defender

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Lets make Coffield, Clarke and the Irish blokes Co-Captains next year.

Sounds like a plan.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
repta
Club Player

Maybe we can make Steele co captain so when they replace each other in the side we stool have a captain in the side.

congorozides
Club Player

Geary is symbolic of the pure fantasy and delusion of the club.
People imagine him as a Tom Harley or Nick Maxwell style Captain.

"May not be the best player but a great leader."

That is the sales pitch.

In reality this is miles away from the truth. Deep down the players are simply embarrassed.

kalsaint
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:He's not ready yet, but I think he will be our next skipper and hopefully sooner rather than later.

While I agree in principle about his leadership qualities I reckon a more senior guy is needed. Luke may need development for the future role but this would be about 2-5 years away IMO.

I really am a believer in picking out needed leadership attributes first, then determining what is suitable for a team leader. Its not jus a pick me hands up thing although the initiative would be a blessing in disguise.

We need the experience to be sure the game plan is well understood, the roles of players needs to be crystal clear and some way of demonstrating the need at times is also required. The leadership attributes can be catregorised as softer, development, show by example but its good to have vision, integrity and authenticity to make the decisions whether theses are just soft coaching instruction or fierce directives to install accountability.

It takes experience to grasp all that. Too early and you run the risk of flummixing a player who would perform as a good contributor in the leadership group and never getting to that next stage as captain.

It took Roo time to get the decision making right mostly and moderate the instructional needs within a game. Sometimes it required him to use his ability to turn a game or simply support midfield or backlines or provide some game balance and clear orders (soft or hard line) to meet the game plan. Players with just 4 years are there yet despite having some aspects covered.

This is why I am amazed the club has allowed the team experience wane and build too many players of the same game experience. That would make it hard for players like Dunstan as he has to get the respect of the players and they match or better his experience to a large degree. Team balance is not just about player size but about balance in responsibility and turning heads at times to generate a spark within the team. It takes time.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote: Deep down the players are simply embarrassed.
Now that I know you are psychic, I don't need to tell you that is garbage.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Sooner rather than later.

I'd also bring Rice in to the side. He is 21. Ready to go.
We need to start phasing Geary out of the side now.
He had a good long run but he has had his day.
Geary should play back pocket, should not leave defensive 50 and should have a handball to kick ratio of 10:1
He is a good lockdown of small forwards, that’s his lot in afl life, he is very good at it but for f*** sake coaches, he is not a rebounding defender
I totally agree with you.
The thing is there are players out there who can do all of it. Lock down, rebound, run and kick and even make good decisions.
It seems we are still miles away from having that player on our books.

Sanctorum
Club Player

I recall that Dunstan was earmarked to lead the Saints, right from the start, when he was given Lenny's number 7, and I hope that he succeeds Geary as the next skipper in 2019. The thing about Dunstan is that he is arguably our most consistent team player, gets in and finds the ball and more often than not hits his target. "He has class written all over him".

Like most of the new recruits that come to St Kilda, Dunstan has been slow to develop into elite status, and this is my main criticism of our club, because unlike the leading teams (Hawks, Cats, Swans) we don't seem to be able to develop our young talent either physically or in basic football skills. The same goes for Jack Billings who looks at least another year away from reaching the next level, both these fellows are in the 5th year and if they had been recruited by any of the 3 clubs mentioned they would be absolute guns by now.

Another case in point is Seb Ross who is 25 and in his 7th year, yet has still only played 85 games - I remember discussing him with some mates a few years ago before he had a break out season, I was all for putting him up for trade.

I hope that if the current season's poor form continues, that a consequent inquest into the club will include sharp focus on player development (the lack thereof) and conditioning, two categories that are so crucial to a team's success.....

The essence of philosophy is that a man should so live that his happiness shall depend as little as possible on external things.

"No man is free who is not master of himself."

Epictetus, Greek Stoic Philiosopher (c. 50 – c. 135 AD)