Long's Goal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Long's Goal

http://www.saints.com.au/video/2018-04- ... t-of-magic

That was no fluke. This kid has something special about him. When he gets past 50 games I think he will explode into a very good footballer. He will take time and patience, the two wisest sages, so we must be willing to get lots of games into him. Same as the rest of them under 30 games e.g. Paddy, White, Coffield, Marshall, Clark, etc. It is imperative that these kids get a chance most weeks in 2018 for the Saints to move forward. If possible, it would be nice if we could also blood Rice, Phillips, Battle a bit more too.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Re: Long's Goal

parkeysainter wrote:http://www.saints.com.au/video/2018-04- ... t-of-magic

That was no fluke. This kid has something special about him. When he gets past 50 games I think he will explode into a very good footballer. He will take time and patience, the two wisest sages, so we must be willing to get lots of games into him. Same as the rest of the them under 30 games e.g. Paddy, White, Coffield, Marshall, Clark, etc. It is imperative that these kids get a chance most weeks in 2018 for the Saints to move forward. If possible, it would be nice if we could also blood Rice, Phillips, Battle a bit more too.

You mean like Newnes, Webster, Dunstan, Ross, Bruce, Billings ???

We were promised and promised that be patient, these kids will EXPLODE and there will be premierships aplenty.

If they're no good, they're no good. I'm not saying that the 6 names I mentioned are all terrible (although I have lost patience with Newnes) I'm just saying that none of them are superstars. None. Webster is going better but he still butchers the ball ( a coach killer) Dunstan I really like. Ross has stalled at B grade and just isn't impacting the game. Bruce has stalled massively. In fairness a below average KP fwd. Billings is a fair AFL footballer. Not terrible, has plenty of faults. On face value looks like he'll be okay but NOTHING what we hoped.

Paddy looks like he'll develop into a slightly better version of Bruce. He'll never be quick like say Josh Kennedy. Once he gets some continuity he'll go ok. Once again, not great, and certainly, like Billings, not anything like we hoped. But he'll play his 150 games (maybe even 200 like Kosi) but in an average team. White doesn't have it for mine. He's shown nothing. Coffield Marshall and Clarke will all be good, although always a raffle with big guys like Marshall. He's developing ok.

I understand this notion of getting games into the kids. However the kids HAVE to uphold their end of the bargain. They have to show something. They don't have to be in the best players, but they have to give something each week we can hang our hat on. White gave nothing last week and should be dropped. I agreed with Clarke being dropped. There has to be integrity at selection rather than gifting games to young guys.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

As for Long. He's just scraping by in my opinion. Just doing enough by the skin of his balls. He's playing in a terrible fwd line that isn't functioning. Just another small guy we've selected. Gresham, Long, Billings, Lonie and Sinclair. Surely we will never make that mistake at selection again. Way too small and weak.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Moods wrote:As for Long. He's just scraping by in my opinion. Just doing enough by the skin of his balls. He's playing in a terrible fwd line that isn't functioning. Just another small guy we've selected. Gresham, Long, Billings, Lonie and Sinclair. Surely we will never make that mistake at selection again. Way too small and weak.
Disagree, but that's OK, not saying your opinion is wrong, just don't agree!!!!!

Have backed Long from early doors and happy to do so, when he gets the ball he normally makes something happen!!!!!

Each to their own!!!!!

But, Benny will be a Jet!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Moods wrote:As for Long. He's just scraping by in my opinion. Just doing enough by the skin of his balls. He's playing in a terrible fwd line that isn't functioning. Just another small guy we've selected. Gresham, Long, Billings, Lonie and Sinclair. Surely we will never make that mistake at selection again. Way too small and weak.
Don't totally agree with your posts but each to their own Mr Moods. Nothing wrong with developing a good crop of kids with promise under the right circumstances.

I have played, been involved and watched alot of footy. I think Long has the goods to be a clever goal kicking small forward. We are crying out for one. He hasn't even played 10 games yet and has that magical indigenous factor about him.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
kalsaint
Club Player

Moods wrote:

That was no fluke. This kid has something special about him. When he gets past 50 games I think he will explode into a very good footballer. He will take time and patience, the two wisest sages, so we must be willing to get lots of games into him. Same as the rest of the them under 30 games e.g. Paddy, White, Coffield, Marshall, Clark, etc. It is imperative that these kids get a chance most weeks in 2018 for the Saints to move forward. If possible, it would be nice if we could also blood Rice, Phillips, Battle a bit more too.

You mean like Newnes, Webster, Dunstan, Ross, Bruce, Billings ???

We were promised and promised that be patient, these kids will EXPLODE and there will be premierships aplenty.

If they're no good, they're no good. I'm not saying that the 6 names I mentioned are all terrible (although I have lost patience with Newnes) I'm just saying that none of them are superstars. None. Webster is going better but he still butchers the ball ( a coach killer) Dunstan I really like. Ross has stalled at B grade and just isn't impacting the game. Bruce has stalled massively. In fairness a below average KP fwd. Billings is a fair AFL footballer. Not terrible, has plenty of faults. On face value looks like he'll be okay but NOTHING what we hoped.

Paddy looks like he'll develop into a slightly better version of Bruce. He'll never be quick like say Josh Kennedy. Once he gets some continuity he'll go ok. Once again, not great, and certainly, like Billings, not anything like we hoped. But he'll play his 150 games (maybe even 200 like Kosi) but in an average team. White doesn't have it for mine. He's shown nothing. Coffield Marshall and Clarke will all be good, although always a raffle with big guys like Marshall. He's developing ok.

I understand this notion of getting games into the kids. However the kids HAVE to uphold their end of the bargain. They have to show something. They don't have to be in the best players, but they have to give something each week we can hang our hat on. White gave nothing last week and should be dropped. I agreed with Clarke being dropped. There has to be integrity at selection rather than gifting games to young guys.
I like this comment as I agree with most of it. Play form players. Dont compromise team based effort for talent that is wasted, like Gresham being overly fancy when he could be kicking to a player better positioned.

As Ross used to say theirs no point playing the kindergarten. I agree with him as our midfield has been torn a new one in many games over the last 3-4 years by certain clubs. Young bodies cant match those older bigger guys who know the rest of their teams ability and skill level. I think Duntan needs to be kept in the team. Said it last year several times. I do like Bruce but the forward structure needs work. For starters it needs to move. This creates mayhem for defenders and leads to potential frees closer at goal. Never could understand why this club has not picked those midfielders who are called bulls that break packs and create and/or run forward and goal. Eagles are showing us how its to be done. Confidence is a key factor but we dont have the elite mids to create, lead and set up forward delivery. Long way to go with a team of soldiers when they dont follow the game plan or when they do, they give up the ball.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
saynta
Saintsational Legend

That was no fluke. This kid has something special about him. When he gets past 50 games I think he will explode into a very good footballer. He will take time and patience, the two wisest sages, so we must be willing to get lots of games into him. Same as the rest of them under 30 games e.g. Paddy, White, Coffield, Marshall, Clark, etc. It is imperative that these kids get a chance most weeks in 2018 for the Saints to move forward. If possible, it would be nice if we could also blood Rice, Phillips, Battle a bit more too.

Spot on mate.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
Disagree, but that's OK, not saying your opinion is wrong, just don't agree!!!!!

Have backed Long from early doors and happy to do so, when he gets the ball he normally makes something happen!!!!!

Each to their own!!!!!

I agree with you. Has a touch of class about him.

Once he feels he belongs at AFL level watch his game grow.

White put in a poor game but so did most of the team. He has something to offer.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
stonecold wrote:

Each to their own!!!!!

I agree with you. Has a touch of class about him.

Once he feels he belongs at AFL level watch his game grow.

White put in a poor game but so did most of the team. He has something to offer.

Out of the newbies, Holler For is the one I’m most excited about. That bull dust concussion was so minor he’ll play against GWS IMO

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Long has steadily improved each game thus far this season and I would imagine retains his position quite comfortably.

Interesting that he was picked one place in front of the games BOG on Sunday Brandon Parfitt.

It would be interesting to see their development if we took Parfitt and the cats Long.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I don't agree that there is anything special about him. He looks to me like a stock standard fringe-quality pressure forward. The goal was very nice but he's not going to produce that regularly. His pace is just ok, skills just ok, pressure is decent but he doesn't find a lot of the ball and doesn't kick many goals. I don't see anything that suggests he's going to be any better than Minchington.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I don't agree that there is anything special about him. He looks to me like a stock standard fringe-quality pressure forward. The goal was very nice but he's not going to produce that regularly. His pace is just ok, skills just ok, pressure is decent but he doesn't find a lot of the ball and doesn't kick many goals. I don't see anything that suggests he's going to be any better than Minchington.
Minch is not a bad player mate, just cruelled by injuries.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Every time I see Long do something I think “that’s clever “ but too often it leads to nothing.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

He has played under 10 games of AFL footy and is only in his 2nd year in the system. He has the potential to double his output after 50 games so he is actually doing very well at this point. He has massive scope to improve his game given the personal tools at his disposal.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:Every time I see Long do something I think “that’s clever “ but too often it leads to nothing.
I guess it's a change from most of our forwards, where I think "that's dumb" and too often it leads to a turn over.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:I don't agree that there is anything special about him. He looks to me like a stock standard fringe-quality pressure forward. The goal was very nice but he's not going to produce that regularly. His pace is just ok, skills just ok, pressure is decent but he doesn't find a lot of the ball and doesn't kick many goals. I don't see anything that suggests he's going to be any better than Minchington.
Minch is not a bad player mate, just cruelled by injuries.
I agree, I think he's handy and certainly a better option than Lonie or Wright but the reality is that he's very unlikely to make it. Despite being a better kick and much stronger than Long

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Hate to tell you all, but some of us did call it...

bigred
Saintsational Legend

lol the thread of facepalm.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

A bit of a break out game which is good given he hadn't even played 10 games yet.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Dare I say, he looked special.

Vazelos
Club Player

Long has secured the small forward role long term I would say with the ability to play up the ground a bit too if required...
Papers stamped for Wright, Lonie & Minchington I would say maybe Meatballs has a very slim chance to get another year but unlikely at this stage.
Long is hard, fast, aggressive and can snap a goal.....

Milne
Club Player

Minch still in the run but I love the way Long has played this season. A real X factor.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bump.

Good call parkey.