Dal Santo on attack as Saints make a stand

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dal Santo on attack as Saints make a stand

stonecold wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
stonecold wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:Just realistic, commoncold!
Do you have to refer to me as that name?????

I find it offensive!!!!!
Don't get sucked in too much Stonecold and welcome back. Otherwise, you are playing into the vulture's mouths. They are like buzzards on carrion.
All good Parky's, just playing a straight bat and expressing the fact that I would prefer to be referred to by my correct user, if Drake doesn't acknowledge my request, then that's up to him/her and I am entitled to put in a compliant!!!!!

Think ypu mean complaint mate.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
stonecold wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
stonecold wrote:

I find it offensive!!!!!
Don't get sucked in too much Stonecold and welcome back. Otherwise, you are playing into the vulture's mouths. They are like buzzards on carrion.
All good Parky's, just playing a straight bat and expressing the fact that I would prefer to be referred to by my correct user, if Drake doesn't acknowledge my request, then that's up to him/her and I am entitled to put in a compliant!!!!!

Think ypu mean complaint mate.
Think ypu mean 'you' mate :wink:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
BazzaBreen66
Club Player

stonecold wrote:

I find it offensive!!!!!
How about Influenza, Mucus, Snot Nose, Snot Bubble......

<warning for baiting>

stonecold
SS Life Member

BazzaBreen66 wrote:
stonecold wrote:

I find it offensive!!!!!
Back from Holidays?????

Your so very funny!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
BazzaBreen66
Club Player

My Mum thinks so..

axcellence
Club Player

“When you are in the arena Katniss...”
“What...?”
“Just remember who the real enemy is...”

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

oldie60 wrote:I think Richo complicates everything and there are times the players are all out of position meaning they really don't understand or feel constrained by what they had to do. He mentioned this on a couple of occasions last season about taking the game on not playing for survival and protection. At the moment they can't even do that. Its as if they are stifled and have forgotten how to play.
THIS!

My thoughts for most of the 2018 season is that our (now young) team is massively over coached. They have decision paralysis. Much like what Collingwood have had for 3 years. It was ok when Roo and Joey were out there because they could enforce and direct the plan. Now they're gone we have largely younger players without a clue and locked into a game plan that's complicated. So - they just bomb it long down the line when they're confronted with the plan not working.

That may be a simplistic view but I'd love to hear other posters thoughts ...

Go you red, black & white warriors
DJ Higgins
Club Player

I don't buy the over coached synopsis, rather they are poorly coached. They do not present any options while the ball moves forward and then we get stagnated in the middle or on the outside of the 50 and then we long bomb. Players should be taking leads and proving targets but they don't they stand still and hope the ball is kicked near them, not run and make the ball get kicked to them. I feel for the mids who look upfield and see no options. What do they do, stop and get tackled? No so they just kick it forward and hope and now it is a habit for some.

Everyone knows this is a problem and not a tactic that is working so I have NFI why we keep doing it. I have lost faith Richo now as most other people are starting too based on comments and bums on seats but there is always hope. And bourbon. Lots and lots of bourbon

ace
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:

I find it offensive!!!!!
Commoncolds are pretty weak, gone in a week.
Would you prefer something more deadly like "Ebola".

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
stonecold
SS Life Member

ace wrote:
stonecold wrote:

I find it offensive!!!!!
Commoncolds are pretty weak, gone in a week.
Would you prefer something more deadly like "Ebola".
Nice one, haha, I think your the wrong playing card, you should call yourself 'The Joker' with sort of humour!!!!!

kalsaint
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-16/d ... ke-a-stand

Really interesting read by an astute former player who has no agenda and is probably making a genuine and frank assessment.

People on this forum have the right to ask hard questions of Richo, given our form, however some of the vitriol is disgusting and the "just sack him" line is of no use.

I can understand him sticking to his guns for a few matches, you just don't immediately give up on something if it doesn't work initially. However, it appears our issues maybe structural, Dal isn't the first to touch on that and I'd be interested to hear Roo's opinion. So Richo might need to write off current structures as a failure, move on and try something different. Tony74 has dropped hints of substantial changes and I don't think he meant personnel changes which are a given.
Saints are getting enough of the footy, winning stoppages and clearances but our inside 50's, general disposal (at times) and bad goal kicking is killing us! Maybe our structures aren't working either in our forward half. Its pretty clear. Players don't seem to be playing with alot of freedom and quick ball movement. They aren't taking the game on enough either. Things need to change quickly. We were looking very good the past couple of years when we did this.
Basically we have developed soldiers and lost the players ability to show some flare. Fevola mentioned this months ago. I reckon he was spot on. Players spend all their time following orders and trying to match KPI's. They tend to lose flair with that.

GT used to have tough KPI's too but also ran into problems with the team showing its flair at times. Luckily we had recruited reasonable quality soldiers from other clubs with good experience. We also had elites like Gehrig, Hamill, Harvey and Roo, Kosi, as youngsters who were going places. We also had some quality players just starting like Dal Santo, Goddard and X Clarke who could all provide the X factor needed at times to create enthusiasm to the older blokes. Roo spoke on this matter late in his career.

Hawks have lost a power and experience but have recovered by having a balanced side in term of a spread of players with nominal games played. This really helps to continue to muster the game time leadership needed. Its one of the reasons Clarkson can afford to set a playing boundary and clear roles and have these ideals executed. The boundaries are also not so tough so the team doesn't lose its flair. This is enough to enable a spark from the remainder of the team when needed. They have recovered well from a poor 2017 start.

It will be interesting to see if Hawks beat us this year by 84 points, like we did to them last year. I doubt it but to win will be real challenge fort he Saints and a true indicator on progress in both teams.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
kalsaint
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote:I don't buy the over coached synopsis, rather they are poorly coached. They do not present any options while the ball moves forward and then we get stagnated in the middle or on the outside of the 50 and then we long bomb. Players should be taking leads and proving targets but they don't they stand still and hope the ball is kicked near them, not run and make the ball get kicked to them. I feel for the mids who look upfield and see no options. What do they do, stop and get tackled? No so they just kick it forward and hope and now it is a habit for some.

Everyone knows this is a problem and not a tactic that is working so I have NFI why we keep doing it. I have lost faith Richo now as most other people are starting too based on comments and bums on seats but there is always hope. And bourbon. Lots and lots of bourbon
All the above relates to loss of game time and pre game leadership IMO. Players need boundaries, concise clear instruction and leaders on the ground, not just for coaching but to uphold accountability followed up by coaching if needed. Too many players are in the same band of experience and this is a real fault at our club. I wouldn't be surprised if respect of some to the leadership group is not what it should be. This needs sorting out if true as theres only one way to go if left alone and that's down the ladder further. Leaders need to be prominent but also accountable for they impact not just as players but their role as leaders.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

kalsaint
Club Player

BazzaBreen66 wrote:
stonecold wrote:

I find it offensive!!!!!

<warning for baiting>

Time to follow the site rules gents. Where's the respect? We are actually all following the same team here not setting up a childrens playschool to call out names.

BazzaBreen66
Club Player

I'll take my ball and go home then.... Friendly banter don't hurt no-one ... Unless of course you have no sense of humor ...with us all being Saints Supporters, that's one thing we all need, a sense of humor. don't take life so serious Gents and ladies especially Ladies SC.....

stonecold
SS Life Member

BazzaBreen66 wrote:I'll take my ball and go home then.... Friendly banter don't hurt no-one ... Unless of course you have no sense of humor ...with us all being Saints Supporters, that's one thing we all need, a sense of humor. don't take life so serious Gents and ladies especially Ladies SC.....
Don't blame me, I took no offence, I just laughed!!!!!

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:

I find it offensive!!!!!
But it's okay to call Hickey 'Hickledik' :roll:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
stonecold
SS Life Member

Jacks Back wrote:
stonecold wrote:

I find it offensive!!!!!
But it's okay to call Hickey 'Hickledik' :roll:
Yeah, cause that's his nickname!!!!!

Which, by the way, is a hell of a lot better than what some dumb posters on here refer to our coach as!!!!!