Playing for the future...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Winmar7
Club Player

Playing for the future...

As an eternal optimist, it’s hard to admit it, but this season is done – we’re not Sydney of ’17 who can come back from a dismal start or the Saints of ’97, so we’re now playing for the future and a position in what is supposedly a strong draft. We need to spend the rest of the year pumping games into kids and be realistic with some players who have stagnated or are past their prime.

I’ve picked my 22 who should be our first picks – a mix of necessity (height, experience, or our best players) and the most promising kids, even if they are inconsistent at times:

Backs – Carlisle, Roberton, White, Geary, McKenzie, Brown
Mids – Steven, Dunstan, Steele, Clark, Ross, Acres, Coffield, Marshall
Forwards – McCartin, Bruce, Membrey, Gresham, Weller, Billings, Long, Battle

This group should only be picked if form warrants or injuries strike:

Backs – Newnes, Webster, Savage
Mids – Longer, Armitage, Stevens, Hickey
Forwards – Lonie, Minchington, Sinclair

The rest are either untried or done (Gilbert, Wright and sadly, probably Freeman)

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: Playing for the future...

Winmar7 wrote:As an eternal optimist, it’s hard to admit it, but this season is done – we’re not Sydney of ’17 who can come back from a dismal start or the Saints of ’97, so we’re now playing for the future and a position in what is supposedly a strong draft. We need to spend the rest of the year pumping games into kids and be realistic with some players who have stagnated or are past their prime.

I’ve picked my 22 who should be our first picks – a mix of necessity (height, experience, or our best players) and the most promising kids, even if they are inconsistent at times:

Backs – Carlisle, Roberton, White, Geary, McKenzie, Brown
Mids – Steven, Dunstan, Steele, Clark, Ross, Acres, Coffield, Marshall
Forwards – McCartin, Bruce, Membrey, Gresham, Weller, Billings, Long, Battle

This group should only be picked if form warrants or injuries strike:

Backs – Newnes, Webster, Savage
Mids – Longer, Armitage, Stevens, Hickey
Forwards – Lonie, Minchington, Sinclair

The rest are either untried or done (Gilbert, Wright and sadly, probably Freeman)
Sinclair shoud not be in the 2nd group IMO

saint4life
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair in the first group for sure.
But generally agree with the philosophy

Nee!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

I know this is a subjective excercise and we can argue around the edges
But I would be looking at Logan Austin and Clavarino to replace Brown by this year
I hope and expect rice to be a regular by year's end as well

Seeya
saint6709
Club Player

sunsaint wrote:I know this is a subjective excercise and we can argue around the edges
But I would be looking at Logan Austin and Clavarino to replace Brown by this year
I hope and expect rice to be a regular by year's end as well
Agree - or maybe Goddard as one to replace Brown
Sinclair is in the first group for me
Mckenzie will be gone at years end IMO

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Goddard has to get an opportunity at some point.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintkev
Club Player

If we continue getting thumped then Rice, Joyce, Connellan, Phillips should all get a guernsey ahead of the loping, corrallers in the firsts fail to to put pressure on the opposition's ball-carriers, can't stick tackles, don't shepherd and have the foot passing skills of an Auskicker.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

we don't need to replace Brown at all. Heck this team is crying out for experienced dependable players. We have one in Brown. Blanketed Hawkins last weekend. And people want him out of the team? We need players like him to help the youngsters grow and provide some stability and cool heads on the field. Or would you rather have leaders like Newnes setting the example?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
stonecold
SS Life Member

bigred wrote:Goddard has to get an opportunity at some point.
You have to earn opportunity, so, like others, needs to show some form in the two's!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
stonecold
SS Life Member

desertsaint wrote:we don't need to replace Brown at all. Heck this team is crying out for experienced dependable players. We have one in Brown. Blanketed Hawkins last weekend. And people want him out of the team? We need players like him to help the youngsters grow and provide some stability and cool heads on the field. Or would you rather have leaders like Newnes setting the example?
This, Brown earnt his pay on Sunday, one of a few!!!!!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
desertsaint wrote:we don't need to replace Brown at all. Heck this team is crying out for experienced dependable players. We have one in Brown. Blanketed Hawkins last weekend. And people want him out of the team? We need players like him to help the youngsters grow and provide some stability and cool heads on the field. Or would you rather have leaders like Newnes setting the example?
Earns his keep just about every week since he's been recruited IMO...normally gets slammed on here when the team's performed badly and he's the poor bastard left last-man-standing in defence...we've all seen how well we deal with the rebound from crap disposal on our half forward line. I hated playing fullback for the same reason. I have NFI why he's seen as a 'filler', the guy is an ex-premiership player, what, 28 years old? He could be with us for another 5 years, so should be replaced only if needed, not just because someone 5-6 years younger would also like a shot.

stonecold
SS Life Member

degruch wrote:
stonecold wrote:
Earns his keep just about every week since he's been recruited IMO...normally gets slammed on here when the team's performed badly and he's the poor bastard left last-man-standing in defence...we've all seen how well we deal with the rebound from crap disposal on our half forward line. I hated playing fullback for the same reason. I have NFI why he's seen as a 'filler', the guy is an ex-premiership player, what, 28 years old? He could be with us for another 5 years, so should be replaced only if needed, not just because someone 5-6 years younger would also like a shot.
Totally agree, if Goddard/Austin etc want his spot, let them earn it, as previously stated, reward form, teach players that if you want an opportunity, earn it and if you have an opportunity, don't bloody waste it!!!!!

Brown is doing the job he is required to do, he doesn't have to get touches, just shut down the big blokes from the opposition as he did with Hawkins on Sunday!!!!!

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

stonecold wrote:
degruch wrote:
stonecold wrote:
Totally agree, if Goddard/Austin etc want his spot, let them earn it, as previously stated, reward form, teach players that if you want an opportunity, earn it and if you have an opportunity, don't bloody waste it!!!!!

Brown is doing the job he is required to do, he doesn't have to get touches, just shut down the big blokes from the opposition as he did with Hawkins on Sunday!!!!!
People might disagree but Brown has barely put a foot wrong since we picked him up for nothing. He has done a good job playing his role and his big body is required around the defensive 50. I don't think we can discount his leadership and expierence either. We are in need of that right now and he is a good bloke to have around a young side.

Until either Goddard, Austin, Joyce or Claravino are ready then he is our best FB.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I was a huge critic of the move to recruit Nathan Brown and I criticised him at every opportunity last year. I tried highlighting all his errors and tried blaming him for every loss we had last year, but I've changed my mind on the guy

After listening to him in various interviews and after accepting that he is a Saints player, I've tried to be a bit more objective and I think he's actually playing better footy this year than he was last year. I think he's a valuable part of the team ( let's face it - he has premiership and finals experience and we need senior leaders). You can't knock a bloke who is playing his role. There'll be games like the North game where our forwards and our midfield are soundly beaten and the whole team is putrid, so I don't think it was Carlisle's fault or Nathan Brown's fault that Ben Brown kicked a bag.

I also read that last year was a little difficult for Nathan with a new baby in the family, so I think he's more settled, getting a better nights sleep, and perhaps the improvement in his footy is possibly a good consequence.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:I was a huge critic of the move to recruit him and I criticised him at every opportunity last year. I tried highlighting all his errors and tried blaming him for every loss we had last year, but I've changed my mind on the guy

After listening to him in various interviews and after accepting that he is a Saints player, I've tried to be a bit more objective and I think he's actually playing better footy this year than he was last year. I think he's a valuable part of the team at the moment and you can't knock a bloke who is beating his opponent and playing his role in the team

I also read that last year was a little difficult for him with a new baby in the family, so I think he's more settled, getting a better nights sleep, and perhaps the improvement in his footy is possibly a good consequence.
Can only get better the further in time he is away from Eddie and his mob.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

parkeysainter wrote:
Until either Goddard, Austin, Joyce or Claravino are ready then he is our best FB.
aaaaaaaaaaarrrgh
an ounce of original non-club speak please
No one is saying that Brown is bad - No one is picking these guys to play this week against GWS
Winmar7 posed an OP about the FUTURE of the saints
2018 being a write off is more about development of our future team (or at least should be if you werent worried about win/loss ratios)
AND I certainly hope that a few of the 30 yr olds arent holding back development at the expense of a ladder position between 9-13

Seeya