So much Richo hate.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: So much Richo hate.

desertsaint wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:I think we are more like Saints 2002. 2nd last but filled with promising youngsters.

Where did we end up in 2004? An unlucky 3rd.
we had six AAs playing in our team in 2002. our under 22s included Roo, Ball, McGuire, Baker, Milne, Kosi, Lenny, and Joey.
Our 23-27 year olds included Aussie, Maxy, Hamill, Gehrig, and Everitt. Harvey was a young 30 year old. Thompson and Peckett 29. We had great leaders and mentors for the youngsters all over the park, including Burke 32 and Loewe 33.
This team isn't in the same ballpark. Not within cooee.

Check out the two playing lists
2002 - https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2002/st-kilda
2018 - https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2018/st-kilda

we actually had a younger playing list in 2002. amazing when you think about it.
WOW!

We finished near the bottom and had 6 AA’s playing!

That’s a fair effort, or did they BECOME AA IN THE FUTURE??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

David-Lee wrote:
Zed wrote:The fish rots from the head

Let’s have a look at Richmond 2 years ago who couldn’t make the 8 and were a very average team. Apart from their top 3 or 4 players, they still are a very average squad.

But what did their heirachy do? GO got some new quality assistants, put in Neil Balme as Football Manager and away they went.

Our problems in recruitment have been plain to see for a couple of years now yet nothing was done about it. Ok, we went and got Playfair . If Richo is as good as they say, then bite the bullet and surround him with some fresh assistants because the ones there now aren’t influencing him correctly.

It’s time for Finnis and Lethlean to earn their salaries and actively contribute to rebuilding the football department.

Everyone likes the Tigers analogy either to prove all we need to so is drop a few assistant coaches and we win a Granny OR to prove we need to give Richo 8 years and we win a granny.

Only thing is....

2013 Finished in 5th.

2014 Finished in 8th.

2015 Richmond were 15-7. Finished in 5th. They had 4 AA players polling high brownlow votes and 8 players with 6 or more brownlow votes.

2016 8-14 a big drop...blamed of course solely on the assistant coaches...but it was really the head coach. He needed someone he was accountable to who would oversee the game plan and help select game day starters. Neil certainly did that...however getting rid of Mark William's who has essentially sculpted young players to the precipice of success was ridiculous.
Trent Cotchin,Alex Rance and Dustin Martin concede if it weren't for William's they would have left the Tigers.

2017 Grand Final Winners

So over 5 seasons they were in the finals 4 times and won the grand final...not exactly a shite team that we can compare our dismal situation to...we haven't played finals for 7 years.
Worth pointing out the Tigers couldn't win a final until last year...and just like all their campaigns, they were hardly convincing, even last year they were in danger missing out in the last few rounds. In spite of all that, they extended Dimma's contract, much to everyone's surprise. There's been a lot of re-writing of history when it comes to the Tigers, but they were a pretty ordinary team/club right up until mid/late last year (with a spectacular finals campaign), that's why there's a continual cross-reference.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:Lay off Tony74 people. He/She is the one decent poster that provides inside info on the club and some of you have a go at him/her. Not sure what his/her position is, but he/she knows things we don't know and never will. You really can't expect him to have to go into a detailed argument with every poster here either or explain what he knows in detail. Plus he will never pass us on certain things to SS.

There are so many armchair experts in this joint. Give Tony74 a break.
I don't think anyone's giving Tony a hard time, I'd be surprised if no-one reacted to the news that a large chunk of our coaching staff were AWOL, and we're so poorly drilled we rely on a 'just kick a few goals' and 'keep your chin up' as the driving force for our finals campaign. The saddest thing is, it's not the first time Tony's reported such emotional rhetoric, and I'm beginning to think it's actually true. I know sports an emotional industry, but this is very distressing news for a professional sporting club.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

loris wrote:
mbogo wrote:Here's hoping our coaches turn up this week!
Wouldn’t there always be 3 who don’t turn up?

Our part time ruck coach........ who is coach of Frankston.?????
Hamill - isn’t he still considered as one still connected to our coaching panel, even though he coaches Sandy
Spud......... is he still a part-time backs coach this season, even though every week his outside commitments are with Fox footy, and he doesn’t always attend Saints matches?

Who would be the other non attendees, IF I’m correct with these 3???
brilliant post...
while some others on here are getting all emotional,
Loris uses logic and facts.
Bravo madam !

I don't think missing coaches have any impact on game day.
Their role is to instruct znd advise during training and meetings with the players,
so that on game day, all of that gets put into practice on the field.
Just my 2 cents.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:
desertsaint wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:I think we are more like Saints 2002. 2nd last but filled with promising youngsters.

we had six AAs playing in our team in 2002. our under 22s included Roo, Ball, McGuire, Baker, Milne, Kosi, Lenny, and Joey.
Our 23-27 year olds included Aussie, Maxy, Hamill, Gehrig, and Everitt. Harvey was a young 30 year old. Thompson and Peckett 29. We had great leaders and mentors for the youngsters all over the park, including Burke 32 and Loewe 33.

we actually had a younger playing list in 2002. amazing when you think about it.
This is a scary truth. We have the worst squad in my lifetime.
So its apparent that you were born after the 80's.

stonecold
SS Life Member

WellardSaint wrote:
loris wrote:
mbogo wrote:Here's hoping our coaches turn up this week!
Wouldn’t there always be 3 who don’t turn up?

Our part time ruck coach........ who is coach of Frankston.?????
Hamill - isn’t he still considered as one still connected to our coaching panel, even though he coaches Sandy
Spud......... is he still a part-time backs coach this season, even though every week his outside commitments are with Fox footy, and he doesn’t always attend Saints matches?

Who would be the other non attendees, IF I’m correct with these 3???
brilliant post...
while some others on here are getting all emotional,
Loris uses logic and facts.
Bravo madam !

I don't think missing coaches have any impact on game day.
Their role is to instruct znd advise during training and meetings with the players,
so that on game day, all of that gets put into practice on the field.
Just my 2 cents.
Yes, agreed, it's not unusual for all clubs not to have all coaches on duty during game day!!!!!

Nothing out of the ordinary!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:
Firstly, Richo strikes me as the type of man that may fall on his sword if things became untenable. However, failing that or if he didn't come to that conclusion soon enough, then it would be time to negotiate a settlement like Gentlemen.

Richo would have to consider his reputation and what was in his long term interest professionally.

If necessary at say the end of this season, I doubt that a settlement that looked after both parties would break the bank.
I hope you are right but I have my doubts. This may well be his only job earning this kind of money and he will need to think about his future as well. Plus he may think it is all part of his plan and it will just take time. a touch delusional.

I also doubt he will be in much demand after this tenure. He has failed IMO big time and no other club will come near him. He will be lucky to get a VFL gig. I have nothing against the man himself but we screwed the pooch by extending his contract early and now we must wear the consequences.

I hope I am wrong. I really do

stonecold
SS Life Member

DJ Higgins wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
Firstly, Richo strikes me as the type of man that may fall on his sword if things became untenable. However, failing that or if he didn't come to that conclusion soon enough, then it would be time to negotiate a settlement like Gentlemen.

Richo would have to consider his reputation and what was in his long term interest professionally.

If necessary at say the end of this season, I doubt that a settlement that looked after both parties would break the bank.
I hope you are right but I have my doubts. This may well be his only job earning this kind of money and he will need to think about his future as well. Plus he may think it is all part of his plan and it will just take time. a touch delusional.

I also doubt he will be in much demand after this tenure. He has failed IMO big time and no other club will come near him. He will be lucky to get a VFL gig. I have nothing against the man himself but we screwed the pooch by extending his contract early and now we must wear the consequences.

Are you Drake Huggins' just a question as there has been speculation on the forum previously?????

saynta
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:Lay off Tony74 people. He/She is the one decent poster that provides inside info on the club and some of you have a go at him/her. Not sure what his/her position is, but he/she knows things we don't know and never will. You really can't expect him to have to go into a detailed argument with every poster here either or explain what he knows in detail. Plus he will never pass us on certain things to SS.

There are so many armchair experts in this joint. Give Tony74 a break.

plus one

saynta
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Watters was hated because so called ITKs started bagging him off. The fans just went along with it.
Still to this day we have never been told what was actually wrong with Watters except he upset Roo and Joey.
He lost the players (not just Roo & Joey) in spectacular fashion, that's what happened. What do you reckon Dwarf Gate was all about?

Incredible, you are merciless on Richardson and now you hint that Watters was hard done by and blame Riewoldt & Montagna. Yeah, after Lyon (who you don't rate), I'm sure they were real impressed with Watters.
You would know.
The great club insider.
The great club apologist.
What is the inside scoop?
You tell us. You are in the with club.
Us plebs have no idea.
Tell us again how those inside the club are a font of wisdom. That everything is going to plan. Under control.
That the JLT was menaingless.
Tell us oh wise inside sage.
Arent you going to name names?
Roo and Montagna hated him so much that they were talking to other clubs and wanted to be traded. A well known fact
When he went and started recruiting his mates was the more likely reason he got sacked.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

DJ Higgins wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:

I think he'd be in demand as an Assistant as most former senior Coaches are if they want to. Even Mark Neeld! Considering that, if we were to continue as we are for the remainder of the season , the Club decided to move him on and he dug his heels in and demanded he be paid out the full 2 years, then his reputation would take a hit and I doubt anyone would touch him.

We may have been too generous with his extension, time will tell, however I think it was a matter of the Club wanting to avoid what happened with Ross Lyon, which in my view was disgraceful ineptitude by the Club, resulting in a directionless wasted 2 years under Watters. Also, I wouldn't at all be surprised if he got enquiries from Gold Coast last year. At this stage one could rightfully argue that the Club went over the top, however they cannot change that now.

Given where we stand at the moment, whether or not this turns out to be a huge mistake should be clear by season's end. If the whole season pans out as it has in the first month, then the Club will simply have to deal with it and I think they will. If he turns the ship around, then there's an argument that he can Coach.

For the record I think our current woes are to a large extent structural issues and that's on him. Doesn't mean he cannot acknowledge that current structures aren't working and fix things. Even the great Clarkson, got it completely wrong in the first half of last year. To start with he needs to back big Paddy and let him stay at home (close to goal), I quote Jonathon Brown from last night "Stay at home Paddy". Of course Brown needs to be telling Richo that. Then he needs to get Billings, Acres and Gresham into the action, in the bloody middle. Our starting crew at centre bounces must be Steven, Dunstan and Acres.

No doubt that Richo is under the pump, I reckon this will either be his last year or the making of him as a Coach.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

It doesn't matter how bad they are as a senior coach, they always seem to pop up in an assistant role somewhere...Neeld (above), Balme, Robert Shaw, etc. There's a lot of factors that bring down a senior coach, not all of them indicate said coach is clueless or without talent.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
desertsaint wrote:

WOW!

We finished near the bottom and had 6 AA’s playing!

That’s a fair effort, or did they BECOME AA IN THE FUTURE??
They were AA then. Five more of them also became AA. And why are you shouting?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Rocket
Club Player

Richardson spoke in riddles last night on 360. Said we wanted extra numbers around the ball at the cost of letting Stewart run free. He was under fire from Mark Robinson which was good to see. He took Robbo to task re underperformance of Billings, Gresham and Newnes. Robbo didn’t say they weren’t good players; he said they were underperforming, whereas Richo took offence and took Robbo on.

How you could let them continue to bomb forward to Geelong backs is unexplainable. Blind Freddy could see what was going on.

Seriously need to get some system in place.

I would be shocked if we don’t see significant change this week.

My tip:

Weller, Carlisle, Billings
Battle, McCartin, Gresham

Logan Austin, Joyce or Goddard to CHB. He cannot leave the same structure in place.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
DJ Higgins wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:

I think he'd be in demand as an Assistant as most former senior Coaches are if they want to. Even Mark Neeld! Considering that, if we were to continue as we are for the remainder of the season , the Club decided to move him on and he dug his heels in and demanded he be paid out the full 2 years, then his reputation would take a hit and I doubt anyone would touch him.

We may have been too generous with his extension, time will tell, however I think it was a matter of the Club wanting to avoid what happened with Ross Lyon, which in my view was disgraceful ineptitude by the Club, resulting in a directionless wasted 2 years under Watters. Also, I wouldn't at all be surprised if he got enquiries from Gold Coast last year. At this stage one could rightfully argue that the Club went over the top, however they cannot change that now.

Given where we stand at the moment, whether or not this turns out to be a huge mistake should be clear by season's end. If the whole season pans out as it has in the first month, then the Club will simply have to deal with it and I think they will. If he turns the ship around, then there's an argument that he can Coach.

For the record I think our current woes are to a large extent structural issues and that's on him. Doesn't mean he cannot acknowledge that current structures aren't working and fix things. Even the great Clarkson, got it completely wrong in the first half of last year. To start with he needs to back big Paddy and let him stay at home (close to goal), I quote Jonathon Brown from last night "Stay at home Paddy". Of course Brown needs to be telling Richo that. Then he needs to get Billings, Acres and Gresham into the action, in the bloody middle. Our starting crew at centre bounces must be Steven, Dunstan and Acres.

No doubt that Richo is under the pump, I reckon this will either be his last year or the making of him as a Coach.
Or Steven, Dunstan and Steele.

Don't think you are right about Tosser Lyin and the club though.

The guy was going no matter what.

He threw those last two games against the Swans then retired 3 blokes without first telling them and against their will. They still hate him.

I was in Sydney for the swans game.

Couldn't believe the selections or his game time moves. Disgraceful from a first grader coach.

I posted that at the time too.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Rocket wrote:Richardson spoke in riddles last night on 360. Said we wanted extra numbers around the ball at the cost of letting Stewart run free. He was under fire from Mark Robinson which was good to see. He took Robbo to task re underperformance of Billings, Gresham and Newnes. Robbo didn’t say they weren’t good players; he said they were underperforming, whereas Richo took offence and took Robbo on.

How you could let them continue to bomb forward to Geelong backs is unexplainable. Blind Freddy could see what was going on.

My tip:

Logan Austin, Joyce or Goddard to CHB. He cannot leave the same structure in place.
Well you have left out Long, whom has been our best small forward for the last 2 games!!!!!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
Rocket wrote:Richardson spoke in riddles last night on 360. Said we wanted extra numbers around the ball at the cost of letting Stewart run free. He was under fire from Mark Robinson which was good to see. He took Robbo to task re underperformance of Billings, Gresham and Newnes. Robbo didn’t say they weren’t good players; he said they were underperforming, whereas Richo took offence and took Robbo on.

My tip:

Well you have left out Long, whom has been our best small forward for the last 2 games!!!!!
Haven't seen the last couple games, but Long looks like the sort of player you persist with IMO, he's got something none of the other young small forwards have, definitely some unpredictability and willingness that's not there with Meatball, (certainly) Lonie, Billings or Gresh.

As for changes, no Robbo this week, so one of the young backs will hopefully get a shot...Rice and Logan have both put some solid runs on the board in the VFL.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
st.byron wrote:
tony74 wrote:
Pretty spot on. We have many coaches and unfortunately due to financial issues a lot of them have other jobs. As an example five of them weren’t at the game on Sunday, that doesn’t help. Richo is not the problem, he’s certainly not the Messiah, but he’s not a fool either. He knows his craft. As I mentioned in a previous post you’ll see a vastly different approach against the GWS. Probably somewhere in between the previous game and the next one ( hopefully) will be the sweet spot. I’m stating the bleeding obvious but if we just nail our first few chances watch the heads rise.
Tony, with respect, the buck stops with Richo. He comes across as all system and process, stuck in them even when they dont work, and no gut level inspiration. Casting the reasons for the dismal season so far at the feet of some indeterminate factor that can be remedied by nailing some early chances and heads lifting strikes me as massive denial of how crap we are and how badly things aren’t working. We’ve kicked 5, 7 and 7 goals. I really hope your comments dont reflect a club wide level of denial, coz if they do we are absolutely stuffed.
Wow, a SS nuff nuff who thinks he knows more than a club employee.
If the club employee is delusional, represents a broader view within the club and speaks in generic platitudes about systemic problems, then that’s cause for concern in any organisation.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
saynta wrote:
st.byron wrote:
tony74 wrote:
Pretty spot on. We have many coaches and unfortunately due to financial issues a lot of them have other jobs. As an example five of them weren’t at the game on Sunday, that doesn’t help. Richo is not the problem, he’s certainly not the Messiah, but he’s not a fool either. He knows his craft. As I mentioned in a previous post you’ll see a vastly different approach against the GWS. Probably somewhere in between the previous game and the next one ( hopefully) will be the sweet spot. I’m stating the bleeding obvious but if we just nail our first few chances watch the heads rise.
Tony, with respect, the buck stops with Richo. He comes across as all system and process, stuck in them even when they dont work, and no gut level inspiration. Casting the reasons for the dismal season so far at the feet of some indeterminate factor that can be remedied by nailing some early chances and heads lifting strikes me as massive denial of how crap we are and how badly things aren’t working. We’ve kicked 5, 7 and 7 goals. I really hope your comments dont reflect a club wide level of denial, coz if they do we are absolutely stuffed.
If the club employee is delusional, represents a broader view within the club and speaks in generic platitudes about systemic problems, then that’s cause for concern in any organisation.
+1 - If Tony's comment represents the general view of the club, I'd hope supporters would use any channel available to express their dismay. Other clubs have systems, we have wishful thinking?

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

1 - 3 after 4 rounds. Given I was expecting the club to be 2 -2 at this stage... not too bad. Mind you, looking at the ladder, unless there's a drastic change in form, the bottom 4 already looks set in stone.
Pressure was always going to be huge on the players and coaches in 2018. So far they're crashing and burning spectacularly, even by St Kilda standards. It's pretty understandable the knifes are out for a few of them. Keeping my powder dry until about Round 16. We'll get an idea by then if Richo has lost the playing group.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

prwilkinson wrote:1 - 3 after 4 rounds. Given I was expecting the club to be 2 -2 at this stage... not too bad. Mind you, looking at the ladder, unless there's a drastic change in form, the bottom 4 already looks set in stone.
Pressure was always going to be huge on the players and coaches in 2018. So far they're crashing and burning spectacularly, even by St Kilda standards. It's pretty understandable the knifes are out for a few of them. Keeping my powder dry until about Round 16. We'll get an idea by then if Richo has lost the playing group.
It is not so much the 1-3 that has me worried, it is how we play and it is putrid. Dal Santo's comments regarding the players standing where they were told to and not moving seems to be a fair assessment of what occurred. Not a lot of leads or targets presenting, just long bomb 80's crap. I think we will know long before Round 16. Now the fun part, who do we get?

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

DJ Higgins wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:1 - 3 after 4 rounds. Given I was expecting the club to be 2 -2 at this stage... not too bad. Mind you, looking at the ladder, unless there's a drastic change in form, the bottom 4 already looks set in stone.
It is not so much the 1-3 that has me worried, it is how we play and it is putrid. Dal Santo's comments regarding the players standing where they were told to and not moving seems to be a fair assessment of what occurred. Not a lot of leads or targets presenting, just long bomb 80's crap. I think we will know long before Round 16. Now the fun part, who do we get?
Yeah, hence why the bottom four already looks set in stone at this stage. Dal's comments regarding structure, from an outsider looking in are pretty telling. The long bombs do my f**king head in. And then you watch how other teams structure up and think, F**k me... St Kilda are so far off the pace at the moment. Can't even do the basics.

Richo will get time... Finnis will try and vindicate the decision to renew his contract.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
saynta wrote:
st.byron wrote:
tony74 wrote:
Pot, kettle black. You are the delusional one imhfo. How dare you pay out on Tony 74 with such rubbish comments.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:
Don't think the players are happy with the direction the club is heading and the overall game plan.

I am betting someone will either get the sack or told to pull their head in and it won't be Richardson.

Crasy game plan and the world knows it.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
st.byron wrote:
saynta wrote:
st.byron wrote:
tony74 wrote:
Pot, kettle black. You are the delusional one imhfo. How dare you pay out on Tony 74 with such rubbish comments.
Don't think I'm paying out on Tony. I'm challenging him though. I think the club is in deep doo doo. Tony posted that a good start and lifted heads will make a big difference, which is possibly true but not a panacea. He also posted that Richo is not the problem. So if not Richo, what is the problem? I completely disagree with the view that Richo is not the problem and I think if that's a view widely held within the club, then we are in for a lot more of the same shyte we've seen so far this year.