No Roo no saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milne
Club Player

No Roo no saints

Even on one leg he provided a target and inspired everyone around him to get up and fight.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: No Roo no saints

They wouldn't dish up that s*** if they had to look roo in the eye. No way.

Milne
Club Player

saynta wrote:They wouldn't dish up that s*** if they had to look roo in the eye. No way.
They used to and he would grab it from his ankles 3 on 1 and get on with the game.

Greg T
Club Player

Roos loss cannot be understated
His on field leadership was second to none at the club
Always led by example,always emphasised what the saints were about
Not much leadership on the ground ATM
No one leading the way

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote:Roos loss cannot be understated
His on field leadership was second to none at the club
Always led by example,always emphasised what the saints were about
Not much leadership on the ground ATM
No one leading the way
It shouldn’t be up to one player. The rest of them are playing like a bunch of mentally weak nuffies. No passion or pride at
all, just trying to get to other clubs or extend their contract.

Then again, you don’t have to be good or show much to get a contract extension- and that includes the coach.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

That's why it was so important to rotate the captaincy years ago when it was first suggetsed by the ex coach that most on here despise so much. That's why it was so crucial to keep focussing on the future and not hanging on too long to guys like Chips, Milney, Schneiider, Monty, Gilbo and even Rooy

The reason that North Melbourne will overtake the Saints and be a competitive team is because they bit the bullett on their aging stars. We took more than 5 years out of the finals to realise that we needed to give young guys game time. We complain about the mids lack of cohesion with the forwards.

What do you expect when Paddy was playing at Sandringham last year and Roo was playing full forward? Our mids were still looking to pass it to Roo today just like they did for most of last year...even though he was on one leg. Great future planning Saints

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Geary is a great leader and captain

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SAINTMAN66
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:Geary is a great leader and captain

Written by his mother?....

The Saints Will Prevail In 06,07,08,09 etc etc etc
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

SAINTMAN66 wrote:

Written by his mother?....
Not baiting - not denigrating - having fun on a day when it is hard to find positives.....

Purported to be .... but it is signed My Mum.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
ace
Saintsational Legend

If not Geary then who ?
Jack Steven - only runs one way.
Armitage has lost more than a yard.
Geary is the captain because he (and Armitage) are the only players who actually gives their everything every match.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
If not Geary then who ?
Jack Steven - only runs one way.
Armitage has lost more than a yard.
Geary is the captain because he (and Armitage) are the only players who actually gives their everything every match.
And he is inspirational

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:That's why it was so important to rotate the captaincy years ago when it was first suggetsed by the ex coach that most on here despise so much. That's why it was so crucial to keep focussing on the future and not hanging on too long to guys like Chips, Milney, Schneiider, Monty, Gilbo and even Rooy

The reason that North Melbourne will overtake the Saints and be a competitive team is because they bit the bullett on their aging stars. We took more than 5 years out of the finals to realise that we needed to give young guys game time. We complain about the mids lack of cohesion with the forwards.

What do you expect when Paddy was playing at Sandringham last year and Roo was playing full forward? Our mids were still looking to pass it to Roo today just like they did for most of last year...even though he was on one leg. Great future planning Saints
More than a pinch of sense in your post mate.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

This was always going to be a transition year....

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:This was always going to be a transition year....
Not according to the 5 year plan they sold us.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
bigred wrote:This was always going to be a transition year....
Not according to the 5 year plan they sold us.
The plan was not something that a lot of us fans wanted. The club and especially the players were gutted that there group was being dissolved and the playing list weakened. I recently heard Roo on Fox on AFL360 talk about the fact that the club didn't approach the players and ask them all to take paycuts to stay together as a unit. It seemed to me that he resented the fact that the group wasn't offered an opportunity to stay together. With the TPP maxed out and with Dal and BJ Goddard already out the door, I think the board had no option but to adhere to the plan, but did they? The captain openly talked about quickly being able to refresh the team and play finals nearly every year since the start of 2013. Rooy was a powerful figure and this is how it played out.

The mastermind in Pelchen wanted to turnover the list. The coach at the time was focussing on the future and talked about 2018-2020, but the senior players at the start of 2013 were feeling like they had one more finals campaign left in them. There was a conflict. The conflict was resolved when Watters was sacked. Instead of a strong board and a strong coach leading the planning for the future, we've had too much power in the hands of a few vested interests and their selfish immediate needs superceded the sacrifices that needed to be made for the 5 year plan to have any chance of success. The plan wasn't adhered to and we hung on to our aging stars while development of the talent ( and development of on field leaders) was delayed. The last half dozen games are the result

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
The plan was not something that a lot of us fans wanted. The club and especially the players were gutted that there group was being dissolved and the playing list weakened. I recently heard Roo on Fox on AFL360 talk about the fact that the club didn't approach the players and ask them all to take paycuts to stay together as a unit. It seemed to me that he resented the fact that the group wasn't offered an opportunity to stay together. With the TPP maxed out and with Dal and BJ Goddard already out the door, I think the board had no option but to adhere to the plan, but did they? The captain openly talked about quickly being able to refresh the team and play finals nearly every year since the start of 2013. Rooy was a powerful figure and this is how it played out.

The mastermind in Pelchen wanted to turnover the list. The coach at the time was focussing on the future and talked about 2018-2020, but the senior players at the start of 2013 were feeling like they had one more finals campaign left in them. There was a conflict. The conflict was resolved when Watters was sacked. Instead of a strong board and a strong coach leading the planning for the future, we've had too much power in the hands of a few vested interests and their selfish immediate needs superceded the sacrifices that needed to be made for the 5 year plan to have any chance of success. The plan wasn't adhered to and we hung on to our aging stars while development of the talent ( and development of on field leaders) was delayed. The last half dozen games are the result

Pretty much spot on.

The plan was a plan in name only. The reality has been a mish mash of win it this year (continuing) vs rebuild with youth (remains an unrealistic fantasy).
Trouble is too that we had non football people like Bains making football judgement decisions.

Win it this year pick ups have included players like Brown and Stevens who have little relevance in a long-term rebuild.

In our drafting/trades there has also been way too much picking for structure over pure ability/skills/talent. So we now have yes every position covered, BUT largely with GOPS!

bigred wrote:This was always going to be a transition year..
With players like Savage, Carlisle, Brown, Stevens, Hickey, Lee all picked up, this year was not meant to be a transition year. They were all gained with the intent that this year was when we were meant to be arriving as a threat while they were all in their prime.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....