Did Collingwood just hammer another nail in riches coffin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Did Collingwood just hammer another nail in riches coffin

Adelaide have lost to the bombers and now the pies at home

Puts our 50 point loss into perspective

#1 Ryder fan
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: Did Collingwood just hammer another nail in riches coffi

And what about the Tigers' loss to the Crows in Round 2?

If you want to judge performance in such a narrow perspective you'd nor have the Pies as red hot favourites for the flag. But they shouldn't be, and they won't be.

What last night showed was how important it is for a team to convert a period of superiority on the field into points on the scoreboard. The Pies skipped away early and, while the Crows gradually got their act together, the Pies maintained the gap by getting the occasional goal on the rebound.

This is where we need to be, but haven't been for many years now. Instead, when we get on top early in a game, we typically spray our shots for goal around, and then get crushed in the second half.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood won because Adelaide players were waiting for turnovers that never came. Collingwood's skill level, especially in handball, was just too good. Unlike Richmond, Collingwood play a high ratio handball game. It's risky. Five handballs to get clearance means there are five opportunities for a skill error (like us). The rationale is that if you make a skill error here it is retrievable whereas a kicking skill error has greater consequences. Most of the time, you would have sworn that Collingwood had more players on the ground. There were always more of them around the ball. Adelaide has a high ratio handball game as well, but if you don't pressure enough to cause the turnover, then you won't get it. Collingwood's kicking skills were up last night as well.

ace
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:And what about the Tigers' loss to the Crows in Round 2?

If you want to judge performance in such a narrow perspective you'd nor have the Pies as red hot favourites for the flag. But they shouldn't be, and they won't be.

What last night showed was how important it is for a team to convert a period of superiority on the field into points on the scoreboard. The Pies skipped away early and, while the Crows gradually got their act together, the Pies maintained the gap by getting the occasional goal on the rebound.

This is where we need to be, but haven't been for many years now. Instead, when we get on top early in a game, we typically spray our shots for goal around, and then get crushed in the second half.
Yes the problem is not getting value for our periods of superiority.
But there are three problems, trust, kicking accuracy, locking the ball in
Our keys forwards - a midfielder sees Paddy and thinks no way, even if I kick it to his advantage he will let his opponent into the contest, the ball will come straight back out.
Look for someone else or just bomb it long.
But the other forwards are SMALL, they don't do marking.
It might work with medium forwards who can mark but we only play Membry in that role.
If by some miracle our key forward takes a mark they do not have the kicking technique to make it into an assured goal.
Our midfield simply can not trust their key forwards.

Repeating the same experiment without changing something just produces the same result.
Playing Paddy is a waste unless he stops playing U-18s football and can kick straight for goal.
Whenever McCartin leads his opponent is always there right with him, no separation.
Just because someone was taken No1 doesn't make them a great AFL footballer.
The club must recognise their mistake and concentrate on other player opportunities.

Bruce is a co-ordination disaster.
His body just does not do what his brain tells it.

When the ball hits the ground and the opposition get the ball neither contributes to locking the ball in.
Neither is a premiership player both are at best stop gap players.

We need to get games into players who can improve - Marshall, Battle and other talls who may make it as a key forwards.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:

What last night showed was how important it is for a team to convert a period of superiority on the field into points on the scoreboard.
This. It’s exactly what we don’t do.

saintkid
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
meher baba wrote:

What last night showed was how important it is for a team to convert a period of superiority on the field into points on the scoreboard.
This. It’s exactly what we don’t do.
Yes this is true and this is because our list talent, development and management is poles apart compared to Collingwood (and many other clubs now).

portosaint
Club Player

ace wrote:
meher baba wrote:And what about the Tigers' loss to the Crows in Round 2?

Yes the problem is not getting value for our periods of superiority.
But there are three problems, trust, kicking accuracy, locking the ball in
Our keys forwards - a midfielder sees Paddy and thinks no way, even if I kick it to his advantage he will let his opponent into the contest, the ball will come straight back out.
Look for someone else or just bomb it long.
But the other forwards are SMALL, they don't do marking.
It might work with medium forwards who can mark but we only play Membry in that role.
If by some miracle our key forward takes a mark they do not have the kicking technique to make it into an assured goal.
Our midfield simply can not trust their key forwards.

Repeating the same experiment without changing something just produces the same result.
Playing Paddy is a waste unless he stops playing U-18s football and can kick straight for goal.
Whenever McCartin leads his opponent is always there right with him, no separation.
Just because someone was taken No1 doesn't make them a great AFL footballer.
The club must recognise their mistake and concentrate on other player opportunities.

Bruce is a co-ordination disaster.
His body just does not do what his brain tells it.

When the ball hits the ground and the opposition get the ball neither contributes to locking the ball in.
Neither is a premiership player both are at best stop gap players.

We need to get games into players who can improve - Marshall, Battle and other talls who may make it as a key forwards.
Our midfield can't trust themselves at the moment. Horrible execution by hand and foot. We have more problems than just the forwards

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I know it’s only round 4, but those who pencilled us in for a win against the Pies might want to rethink that.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

i think the pies win and bulldogs last week means richo now sits firmly bottom of the 'can he really coach?' list.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

desertsaint wrote:i think the pies win and bulldogs last week means richo now sits firmly bottom of the 'can he really coach?' list.
No, it means we have a really tight competition and no game whatsoever can be taken for granted. It means that our losses in the last 2 games have been blown way out of context.

Saintly66
Club Player

Kidding yourself if you think it’s another nail in the coffin, even comp.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
desertsaint wrote:i think the pies win and bulldogs last week means richo now sits firmly bottom of the 'can he really coach?' list.
No, it means we have a really tight competition and no game whatsoever can be taken for granted. It means that our losses in the last 2 games have been blown way out of context.
i don't think it's losses that are the problem - it's how insipid our team has played.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

desertsaint wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
i don't think it's losses that are the problem - it's how insipid our team has played.
No doubt, but Adelaide (apart from 6 minutes at the end of the 3rd) were just as insipid last night as we have been.

We were insipid for the entire North game and insipid in the last 7 minutes of the 3rd and the final quarter against Adelaide. I still say our win against Brisbane, although not stellar, was underrated. In fact after Round 1 our efficiency by foot was No.1 in the competition!

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
desertsaint wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
No doubt, but Adelaide (apart from 6 minutes at the end of the 3rd) were just as insipid last night as we have been.

We were insipid for the entire North game and insipid in the last 7 minutes of the 3rd and the final quarter against Adelaide. I still say our win against Brisbane, although not stellar, was underrated. In fact after Round 1 our efficiency by foot was No.1 in the competition!
Not based on what Brisbane have served up today, it isn't.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
takeaway
Club Player

No team has won the next week after playing us. That's how tough we are to play.

No. Very early in the season yet, but results show a very even comp, you only have to be a bit off on match day and you are gone. We have more than a little off against North and for a half and a bit against Crows.

Can we turn it a little bit on again?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:Adelaide have lost to the bombers and now the pies at home

Lions lost to Tigers by 93.

Puts our magnificent win against the bottom side in perspective.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:

If you want to be a contrarian, learn how to argue, because you haven't got a clue. You conveniently ignore Brisnbane's first 3 games, particularly last weeks.

You base your arguments on your own ill informed logic, media headlines and the vibe on social media.

The fact is that Adelaide were absolute rubbish last night, just as bad as we were against North.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

I can't see how Collingwood upsetting Adelaide last night translates into Richo being under more pressure. Adelaide is a much better side than Collingwood. They just had a total stinker like we did against North. The comp is so even that of you are off your game any side can win on the day, irrespective of talent. I think that is a great thing for footy and its why there is no need to panic just yet at the Saints. We were 0-2 last year also.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

If you want to be a contrarian, learn how to argue, because you haven't got a clue. You conveniently ignore Brisnbane's first 3 games, particularly last weeks.

You base your arguments on your own ill informed logic, media headlines and the vibe on social media.

The fact is that Adelaide were absolute rubbish last night, just as bad as we were against North.
I haven't got a clue? You are the second most delusional poster on here.
You haven't got a got a clue about what is reality and what is make believe in your head.

In your head we are a gun side. All our players are future stars. Our coaches and administrators are all geniuses.

In your head we must have won 10 or 15 flags as a club.

My opinion is based in watching us play and statistical fact.

Brisbane finished 18th last season and are on track to finish 18th again. Do you dispute this???

Since the Bombers game in Rd 17 2017 we are the second or third worst performed side in the comp.
Do you dispute this???

Seriously get a grip on reality.
You are on the Kool Aid big time.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:I can't see how Collingwood upsetting Adelaide last night translates into Richo being under more pressure. Adelaide is a much better side than Collingwood. They just had a total stinker like we did against North. The comp is so even that of you are off your game any side can win on the day, irrespective of talent. I think that is a great thing for footy and its why there is no need to panic just yet at the Saints. We were 0-2 last year also.
So the North game was just a one off bad game?

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

You haven't got a got a clue about what is reality and what is make believe in your head.

In your head we are a gun side. All our players are future stars. Our coaches and administrators are all geniuses.

Brisbane finished 18th last season and are on track to finish 18th again. Do you dispute this???

Since the Bombers game in Rd 17 2017 we are the second or third worst performed side in the comp.
Do you dispute this???

"I haven't got a clue? You are the second most delusional poster on here.

In your head we are a gun side. All our players are future stars. Our coaches and administrators are all geniuses."

When have I said that?

"In your head we must have won 10 or 15 flags as a club."

No.

"My opinion is based in watching us play and statistical fact."

Do you actually get to the games?

"Brisbane finished 18th last season and are on track to finish 18th again. Do you dispute this???"

Brisbane will not finish anywhere near 18th, I think Carlton will.

"Since the Bombers game in Rd 17 2017 we are the second or third worst performed side in the comp.
Do you dispute this???"

Without checking, we've 3 games since then, so I doubt that we are the worst performed side. (Please don't count JLT games).

And how could you possibly rate Adelaide's performance last night as been any better than any of our performances this year?
Last edited by Linton Lodger on Sat 14 Apr 2018 7:01pm, edited 2 times in total.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

The board is dumb, inept and deluded,
but even they can work out that Mr Fairy Dust
is NOT a coach; all they have to do is see the Pies/Crows final score.
Easy to see that St Kilda is well below the Pies, and
only marginally above Basket Case Brissie.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Linton Lodger wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Do you dispute this???

"I haven't got a clue? You are the second most delusional poster on here.

In your head we are a gun side. All our players are future stars. Our coaches and administrators are all geniuses."

When have I said that?

"In your head we must have won 10 or 15 flags as a club."

No.

"My opinion is based in watching us play and statistical fact."

Do you actually get to the games?

"Brisbane finished 18th last season and are on track to finish 18th again. Do you dispute this???"

Brisbane will not finish anywhere near 18th, I think Carlton will.

"Since the Bombers game in Rd 17 2017 we are the second or third worst performed side in the comp.
Do you dispute this???"

Without checking, we've won 3 games since then, so I doubt that we are the worst performed side. (Please don't count JLT games).

And how could you possibly rate Adelaide's performance last night as been any better than any of our performances this year?
Last edited by Linton Lodger on Sat 14 Apr 2018 7:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

NFI

(Not the above post)

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

WellardSaint wrote:The board is dumb, inept and deluded,
but even they can work out that Mr Fairy Dust
is NOT a coach; all they have to do is see the Pies/Crows final score.
Easy to see that St Kilda is well below the Pies, and
only marginally above Basket Case Brissie.
Well why don't we just replace the Board with the inept & overpaid clowns they succeeded.

The clowns that staged a coup by text message (led by Nathan Burke), a text message that 8,000 (idiot) members fell for. Then from the get go didn't realise that they needed to put money away for a rainy day because they thought our success would just magically roll on. They embark on a glorious shift to Seaford (actually the swampland of Carrum Downs) because it was cheap Real estate and they didn't have the ability to take on a freaking Council!

Then they appoint a mate 'Nettlefold' as the second highest paid CEO in the business, as they treat Ross Lyon with contemmpt and indifference, until he rightfully gave them the bird and left. Doesn't matter that the List would've died for Lyon, Nettlefold and Burke thought he was too hard to get along with and thought they'd be real clever and try to underpay him. Then they replace him with Watters who wasn't even a bloody senior assistant! I'm sure he came cheap and told the morons what they wanted to hear.

Oh and then in 2012, our second highest paid CEO in the business, realises at the last minute that we may be creeping over our salary cap! Does he consider asking the players if they'd take a pay cut? No! Lets lose Goddard for nothing.

I could go on and on. Now that Board was the height of ineptitude, even by St Kilda standards. I couldn't care how hard Butters was hitting the coke, his Board still outperformed those clowns and the Board he replaced by a country mile.

Yet it was members who had lost their heads, because we missed Finals and they didn't like Ross Lyon's gameplan, that allowed it all to happen.

So now that we have a stable Board with a plan (granted they haven't yet delivered), we should do it all again based on 2 losses.

For f**k sakes get a grip.