LONIE

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Re: LONIE

The Linton Street Flash wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
The Linton Street Flash wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:Well he's been kicking the door down to say the least. He got around thirty touches last week and had 8 scoring shots, I think he has demanded and deserved selection.
...shame he didn’t f#%k his foot in the process!
what a s*** comment to make. Regardless of what you think about his ability, he plays for our club, what kind of knob wishes injury on a player from a club that they supposedly support?
Hey buddy, I’ve got some news for you that might rblow your little mind ...you might wanna sit down..

You know, when someone says “kicking the door down” ... well, despite what you might think, there’s no actual door involved...?

Yep, that’s right, they mean a kind of metaphorical door, the kind of door that it would be quite impossible to injure your foot on.

Hence, when someone says “Shame he didn’t f&@k his foot in the process”, they are actually joking - unlike your good self, they were aware that there was no actual door involved.

Joking is something that people do to make light of a situation, for a laff - it’s a common practice in many parts of the world, and is linked into a character trait known as “a sense of humour”.

Next time you’re having a crap, consider this - if the door that keeps it all nice and private in the cubicle that you’re sitting in was one of these “metaphorical doors”, everyone would be able to see you wipe your bum.

Hope this helps you understand the difference.

Cheers :)
if this is your idea of humour, I'm pleased you don't have a gig at the comedy festival. AND if it was a pathetic attempt at humour, I suggest you should've written I hope he DOESNT break his foot, that would read a less vitriolic

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I get that VFL form should be rewarded but Lonie shouldn't be on our list. He is an absolute star at VFL level but you've got to have exceptional skills and smarts to make it in the AFL when you've got his physical limitations. Unfortunately he struggles to stick a tackle, is completely useless overhead, is a poor kick at goal and can't kick over 40m. He also has an infuriating habit of staging for free kicks and regularly makes bad decisions with the ball. I suspect he'll come in and play like he usual does - have a few shots on goal, miss most of them, attempt and fail to land tackles and make a few bad clangers that lead to turnovers in our forward half and initiate an opposition scoring opportunity.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

He's only 21 years old.

I'll back him to not be in our worst half dozen today and that would justify his selection even if he doesn't star.

I think he's the type of player that… if he left could become a very good player at another club.

With so many on the chopping block this year, it's worth the investment to find out a bit more about players like Lonie, he could still turn into a dynamic 30 goal small forward IMO. Had 20+ shots on goal last year in 12 games, laid nearly twice as many tackles per game as Gresham did.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:He's only 21 years old.

....laid nearly twice as many tackles per game as Gresham did.
His core strength and lower body needs to get a lot stronger for his tackles to stick.

What's the definition of a tackle stat? Is it when a player tackles someone and the ball is releasd or the player being tackled is impeded or the player tackling wins a free kick....OR does an attempt to tackle count also as a tackle, even if the opposition brushes you off and keeps running or you bounce off their bicep of the guy you are tackling and the tackle doesn't stick?

I'mnot having a dig at Lonie, this is a genuine question because I'm sure others would also be interested in the answer

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I was at Sandy last week. At least half his possessions were turnovers, and I doubt more than 2 tackles stuck. He got lucky with a couple of goals.
Should never wear a Saints jumper again.
VFL gun, AFL dud. No core strength whatsoever!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell