New ticket backed with big dollars

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

New ticket backed with big dollars

Watch this space at season's end. I have also heard a couple of rumours recently, but guess we'll have to wait and see. Tony74 (club insider or employee - not too sure) alluded to this in another thread. Maybe its what the club needs if things go south after the completion of the '18 season.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Re: New ticket backed with big dollars

Wouldn't be surprised, however that happened in 2007 and I might say the 8,000 members who supported the 'Footy First' text message causing Butters to stand down, made a huge mistake.

The Board they ushered in, contributed to our current financial state, made the inspired decision to move to Seaford, hired Nettlefold as one of the highest paid CEOs in the AFL, gave us the ridiculous NZ experiment and lost Ross Lyon. All in 4 years of stunning ineptitude.

I cannot think of where the big dollars would come from, Lindsay Fox certainly didn't inject cash in his tenure in the 80's, is it Michael Gudinski?

We need to maintain composure and not panic as a Club.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

i didnt get any text message

iirc i had a form , asking for my proxy

it was all over before i filled it in

i would of though
Rocket had to go

the columbian marching powder had sozzled his brain

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:Wouldn't be surprised, however that happened in 2007 and I might say the 8,000 members who supported the 'Footy First' text message causing Butters to stand down, made a huge mistake.

The Board they ushered in, contributed to our current financial state, made the inspired decision to move to Seaford, hired Nettlefold as one of the highest paid CEOs in the AFL, gave us the ridiculous NZ experiment and lost Ross Lyon. All in 4 years of stunning ineptitude.

I cannot think of where the big dollars would come from, Lindsay Fox certainly didn't inject cash in his tenure in the 80's, is it Michael Gudinski?

Agreed.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Doing something before the end of the current season could be considered panic.
Sitting down at the end of the season and assessing our options moving forward is a perfectly reasonable thing to do -and something I would hope we do. If a better option is presented it needs to be thoroughly investigated.

Love is all you need
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Zed wrote:Doing something before the end of the current season could be considered panic.
Sitting down at the end of the season and assessing our options moving forward is a perfectly reasonable thing to do -and something I would hope we do. If a better option is presented it needs to be thoroughly investigated.
I agree.

The aim of the game (other than winning a premiership, obviously), is to do whatever we can to shore up the club's financial position going forward, so that we can make smart, footy based decisions that enhance our onfield prospects of success.

Season's end, and I'm very happy for anyone with decent qualifications and big bucks to put their hand up. God knows I might even make it to an AGM.

Just don't frighten the horses (sponsors) in the meantime. We've been an administrative laughing stock too many times before.

Always loyal
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

If it’s one lesson in life has taught me again and again, it’s to not react to quickly. Are things really that much worse than what they were six months ago. I’m not saying that they’re not but at the same time if we believe we had a good plan six months ago we should persevere with it

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I gotta be honest. I'm staggered by the all hand wringing that's been going on. I'm surprised that everyone thought we were going to be any good this year? Not sure where all the hope was coming from. Almost as if we were entitled to be better because we've been crap for so long and someone promised it to us.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:I gotta be honest. I'm staggered by the all hand wringing that's been going on. I'm surprised that everyone thought we were going to be any good this year? Not sure where all the hope was coming from. Almost as if we were entitled to be better because we've been crap for so long and someone promised it to us.
I think you are right.
A lot of the emotion is probably because the marketing expectations were pumped up a few years ago and me included got a bit carried away with all of that.

When you look at our list we are just back to being a very young side again. We are back at the start of a rebuild so finishing 12-14th is probably a reasonable expectation.
It's just a process of adjusting to the fact the 2014 rebuild didn't really go perfectly and we need more good players.

spert
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:If it’s one lesson in life has taught me again and again, it’s to not react to quickly. Are things really that much worse than what they were six months ago. I’m not saying that they’re not but at the same time if we believe we had a good plan six months ago we should persevere with it
We watched some highlights of a game v Carlton a couple of years back on YouTube, and the Saints trounced Carlton, but we were playing a different kind of game with much better ball movement out of defence, open forward line, good measured delivery to the forward line- the players seemed to know what they were supposed to be doing.

Somewhere during last season, the style of play seemed to change and it is still that way- no risk, stop and prop, players in two minds when they get the ball, forwards all playing on top of each other in a crowded forward line..looks like a bunch of strangers thrown together to play a game of footy. Something has changed and it hasn't worked too well.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Linton Lodger wrote:Wouldn't be surprised, however that happened in 2007 and I might say the 8,000 members who supported the 'Footy First' text message causing Butters to stand down, made a huge mistake.

+ 1

Darth Vader
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Moods wrote:I gotta be honest. I'm staggered by the all hand wringing that's been going on. I'm surprised that everyone thought we were going to be any good this year? Not sure where all the hope was coming from. Almost as if we were entitled to be better because we've been crap for so long and someone promised it to us.
I think you are right.
A lot of the emotion is probably because the marketing expectations were pumped up a few years ago and me included got a bit carried away with all of that.

When you look at our list we are just back to being a very young side again. We are back at the start of a rebuild so finishing 12-14th is probably a reasonable expectation.
It's just a process of adjusting to the fact the 2014 rebuild didn't really go perfectly and we need more good players.
Yeah, this seems to get forgotten. 2nd youngest list usually equates to 2nd worst performance.

saint-stu
Club Player

The expectation was set by the club. In particular Richo who you would think knows a bit about football teams. I tend to believe what he says, perhaps I'm naive.

I can't understand why he would be so bullish about the team unless

1. He was deliberately over promising and under delivering, but this would seem a stupid thing to do given he's now under ever growing pressure.

2. The team really is going to be good, but are just in a temporary funk or

3. Richo has no idea

I also got sucked in by Maddie's match. Thought or hoped it was a glimpse of things to come.

1ac46a38
To the top
SS Life Member

And look at the experience which now "supports" them

Very difficult scenario for these kids who are emerging in the game

Finals participation will revolve around the ability to attract further players of Carlisle's class to assist in the fast forwarding of our Drafted core of talented young players by taking the absolute responsibility off their shoulders because they are then the evolving support troops which is what they should be at this stage of their careers

The tags and the heavy opposition focus are currently falling on our evolving youth - because we have no one else for them to focus on

We just have to work thru it - including because it remains a long season for young bodies with the attention and the pounding they are taking

Of more concern is the lack of support and marketing opportunities impacting on an already dire financial position at the Club with debt where it us at

Focus is required hence my contributions

And I repeat, Geary being our Captain is symptomatic of the on field lack of balance on our List post Riewoldt and Montagna

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:If it’s one lesson in life has taught me again and again, it’s to not react to quickly. Are things really that much worse than what they were six months ago. I’m not saying that they’re not but at the same time if we believe we had a good plan six months ago we should persevere with it
The main problem is not the plan per se ( as various plans can work), but that it is reliant on someone at the Saints making the right calls on the football talent that we acquire. And it is this part that is my greatest concern.

I have always been concerned on the over reliance in the plan to secure quality FA's but the biggest concern for me is the ability to draft/trade the right players.

Things can turn around in a few years if you nail things, and in particular if one has a solid bases which you do. But you get that out and out cream in your playing list by making the right calls, and yes some luck too.

Do I have faith in our current List Management Team to make the right calls? The answer is no. That is my fear.

Go through all their picks in recent seasons and on average it is an underperform. Keep under-preforming in this critical and you go backwards relative to the competition. This is not to say that there is not some talent there, but there is not as much as there needs to be

Is it to late to turn things around? The answer is it is not. But to turn it around and to build upon what we have then there IMO must be change in our List Management Team. Much is made of gaining a high priced playing recruit. IMO a much bigger bang for our $$ would be poaching a really, really good proven recruit. However I would imagine that they are all on long-term contracts to prevent this.

Is our team as bad as it has shown this season to date? No it is not. But lack of QUALITY, ONFIELD LEADERS and MATCHWINNERS hurts us no end.

PS At the end of last draft/ tradeseason after looking at all the other clubs I did not think we would make the 8.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Stephen Theodore wrote:

+ 1
+2

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Agreed. No need to panick but if things go south this year in a bad way then a new ticket may make a challenge.

Doesn't Eric Bana and Warmie have millions. Please help.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:
The expectation was set by the club. In particular Richo who you would think knows a bit about football teams. I tend to believe what he says, perhaps I'm naive.

I can't understand why he would be so bullish about the team unless

1. He was deliberately over promising and under delivering, but this would seem a stupid thing to do given he's now under ever growing pressure.

2. The team really is going to be good, but are just in a temporary funk or

3. Richo has no idea

I also got sucked in by Maddie's match. Thought or hoped it was a glimpse of things to come.

I think the Maddie's match proved that the level of performance equates to what's going on above the shoulders.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:

I think the Maddie's match proved that the level of performance equates to what's going on above the shoulders.
For both teams.

1/We were up.
2 They were missing. Absolutely no pressure on us.

We can control 1/. 2/ not so much.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

saynta wrote:I think the Maddie's match proved that the level of performance equates to what's going on above the shoulders.
This!!!

(And for anyone who wants further proof, look at our side in 1998, or 2011... or just look at how a very very ordinary list wearing yellow and black are going.)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
saynta wrote:I think the Maddie's match proved that the level of performance equates to what's going on above the shoulders.
This!!!

(And for anyone who wants further proof, look at our side in 1998, or 2011... or just look at how a very very ordinary list wearing yellow and black are going.)
Am I reading this right? You don't rate Rance and Jack Riewoldt- you'd rather Carlisle and Paddy. It doesn't matter how switched on Seb Ross or Luke Dunstan are...they can't match the output and consistency and desire and talent of Martin and Cotchin. Get real. Who would you rather have in your team? Houli and Ellis or Savage and Newnes? The grunt and hardness of Richmond including Graham and Towsend plus the mosquito fleet in their forward line would do me just fine. They still have Daniel Rioli on the sidelines too.

Be objective with how you rate our guys. If they'd achieved half as much as some of the guys on Richmond's list maybe you'd have a case. When you start comparing their list with ours, you'll actually start seeing that our guys only get a game in a senior AFL team because our recruiters were dumb enough to choose them

congorozides
Club Player

The time is now.
No need to wait until the end of the season

deadman walking
Club Player

i hope so

barneyboyz
Club Player

Scollop wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
This!!!

Am I reading this right? You don't rate Rance and Jack Riewoldt- you'd rather Carlisle and Paddy. It doesn't matter how switched on Seb Ross or Luke Dunstan are...they can't match the output and consistency and desire and talent of Martin and Cotchin. Get real. Who would you rather have in your team? Houli and Ellis or Savage and Newnes? The grunt and hardness of Richmond including Graham and Towsend plus the mosquito fleet in their forward line would do me just fine. They still have Daniel Rioli on the sidelines too.

Be objective with how you rate our guys. If they'd achieved half as much as some of the guys on Richmond's list maybe you'd have a case. When you start comparing their list with ours, you'll actually start seeing that our guys only get a game in a senior AFL team because our recruiters were dumb enough to choose them
Output and desire. There you have it, right there. One positive for me yesterday was Paddy seemed one of our few players with desire. Yes, he wasn't great but he had desire, and showed that he is worth persisting with as he will eventually straighten us up. Luke Dunstan has it at the moment, but Seb doesn't and nor does Savage and Newnes.

Hunger for the contest has been replaced by a survival state, and usually needs a couple of leaders to snap a side out of it. I'm looking at Blake Acres and Jake Carlisle here, both can and need to show the way.

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Scollop wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
This!!!

Yep, Scol', you're reading it right. :)

Carlisle and Rance - not much in it IMHO. And Rance (to date) can't be swung forward to kick a bag of goals.
Jack R is on the serious decline. Bruce if fit and firing would be pretty close to today's Jack. Actually, better I reckon.
Cotchin and Jack Steven - I'm quite happy with our boy.
Martin. We have no Martin. (Though watch the space marked 'BAcres'. :D ) And we also don't have $1.5 million of our salary cap tied up in just one bloke. :idea:
Houli is a battler... at best. The fact that a plodder like Bashar, who did nothing for year after year when the Tuggers were a struggling mob, suddenly fronts up and plays such a great GF... tells me that they are playing out of their skins. (Forgive the pun. :oops: )
Townsend is good. (Just now needs to prove that he can maintain the standard.)
Rioli is good, and will get much better.

The rest...? Nothing exciting there. The weakest premiership team since... I can't think of one. :?

That said, good on 'em for pinching one. (Like the Poodle before 'em.) Flags don't go to the best team - sadly, as we'd have several more. :( They go to whoever is in front at the final siren on GF day. So well done to 'em.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen: