Where do we go for here!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

robsaint
Club Player

Where do we go for here!

Many here have touched on a number of issues at Stkilda. Lack of True leadership, Quality A grade players, foot skills, forward entries, coaching tactics. In my opinion we have two major issues, lack of leadership and lack of quality players. We need A grade players. The problem is it is difficult for us to attract A grade players as we don't look like a team that is likely to contest for a premiership. So what is our next option. If we can't attract quality players we need to go to the draft. At this stage it looks as though we are going to be bottom 4. So what if we trade out Steven and a 3rd round pick or next year's second round to another team that will end up bottom 4 for a top 4 pick. That way we have 2 top 5 picks. So we will have 4 top 10 picks from 2017/2018 drafts. Next is the leadership issue, Who has the respect of the players and the playing endeavour to match. At the moment I can't think of one in the current side. So do we go outside for a free agent, who? suggestions welcome. The other item we need to address is our foot skills. This will only improve with practice, don't worry about fancy plays for now, practice the passing under pressure, being able to mark a ball at full pace, the basics.

I know what some of you may be saying Steven is one of our only players that can help turn a game. He is now 28 and doesn't come across as a leader. I would hate to lose him but I think we really need to look at our list and bring in skillful young players. We need to think about clever trades that will not only fill gaps but give us a sustainable future.
I was looking forward to seeing how we were going to progress this year and to say I am disappointed is an gross understatement. I feel we can build around the Acres, Clarke, Coffield, Billings, Gresham, Steele, Ross
Our back 6 at the moment are not bad and hopefully Goddard and Coffield can fill the gaps that Brown and Gilbert will leave. Our forward line is a real worry and we need to recruit well there. This draft we need to recruit quality Mids and a CHF.

Once the foot skills improve so will our forward enteries. Richardson's simple game plan of moving the ball quickly is to create one on one forward opportunities. The endeavour is there, it is the lack of skill that makes our endeavour wane. We get discouraged by the mistakes.