Carlisle for Captain

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

groupie1
Club Player

Re: Carlisle for Captain

Moods wrote:
groupie1 wrote:Snorting coke to camera doesn't make him disqualified. Jesus... how many of these footballers do you think are saints? Or geniuses?

I saw his interview owning his petulant actions on the field last week. Impressive.
I saw his return after his year out working hard to make an impression.

Ben Cousins captained the Eagles to a flag (and yes I know he wasn't actually captain... but we all know he was)
Wayne Carey captained the Kangas to a couple flags. A bigger d**khead has never graced a footy field.
Tony Shaw

Michael Voss was a GUN, arguably the Bears' best in that team. Good players don't make good captains?

I say there are exceptions to most of these rules.

I say becoming captain turned Lenny Hayes into a better footballer. I say it didn't work for Robert Harvey, or Sachin Tendulkar.

Viv Richards was no less successful than Clive Lloyd.

I'm interested in a really decent argument against the idea, if, say, a decision was made on Gears. Coz I think he'd become a better footballer and leader, the team would walk taller and play nastier, and I don't see an alternative natural leader.
the argument against is he can lift his f***** head when the team is getting beat and when he's getting beat or his opponent has taken mark against him.
This argument that he has a bit of mongrel in him??? Comes from where exactly??? It reminds me of the myth that the G-Train was tough. Softest big man ever, but he played with injuries so everyone thought he was tough.
Yeah... I see lots of mongrel and aggression is his play. G-Train was a big tough bad mofo.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Greg T
Club Player

Great idea,only way we will keep him

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
St Loxton
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:A captain needs to have some talent. Geary doesn't have any

Dylan Roberton would be my pick.
Solid, solid player.
In the leadership group.
Will be a lock in our team for the next 5 or so seasons.
Haven't heard much of him in front of the camera though.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:
Moods wrote:
groupie1 wrote:Snorting coke to camera doesn't make him disqualified. Jesus... how many of these footballers do you think are saints? Or geniuses?

I saw his interview owning his petulant actions on the field last week. Impressive.
I saw his return after his year out working hard to make an impression.

Ben Cousins captained the Eagles to a flag (and yes I know he wasn't actually captain... but we all know he was)
Wayne Carey captained the Kangas to a couple flags. A bigger d**khead has never graced a footy field.
Tony Shaw

Michael Voss was a GUN, arguably the Bears' best in that team. Good players don't make good captains?

I say there are exceptions to most of these rules.

I say becoming captain turned Lenny Hayes into a better footballer. I say it didn't work for Robert Harvey, or Sachin Tendulkar.

Viv Richards was no less successful than Clive Lloyd.

I'm interested in a really decent argument against the idea, if, say, a decision was made on Gears. Coz I think he'd become a better footballer and leader, the team would walk taller and play nastier, and I don't see an alternative natural leader.
the argument against is he can lift his f***** head when the team is getting beat and when he's getting beat or his opponent has taken mark against him.
This argument that he has a bit of mongrel in him??? Comes from where exactly??? It reminds me of the myth that the G-Train was tough. Softest big man ever, but he played with injuries so everyone thought he was tough.
Yeah... I see lots of mongrel and aggression is his play. G-Train was a big tough bad mofo.
Really?? What has Carlisle done that makes him tough and aggressive?? Seriously . What? He reads the play well and takes a lot of good marks. There is no mongrel about his play.

G-Train was a fantastic saints servant with unbelievable athletic prowess. He was laughably weak in the contest. Used to fly one handed and constantly duck his head. Just because a guy has big muscles, a mullet, and pulls mean faces when he jumper punches doesn't make him tough. Lenny Hayes was seriously tough. So was Stevie Baker (who was also very dirty). Stephen Powell was a tough bastard as was Brett Voss. We haven't had many guys with serious mongrel at the saints for awhile.

Michael Voss is the epitomy of toughness and a brilliant captain.

elizabethr
Club Player

More of a sulky bully than a tough guy.

nothing to say
saintkev
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote:Easily in our best two players but far too petulant to be a leader.
True. He can play!!! He has all the ability, however, he needs to demonstrate mature leadership traits. Petulant pretty well sums up his attitude and, sadly, it is contagious .

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Maybe not, but I think the captaincy needs to be looked at.

Geary gives it his all, but is an ordinary footballer with ordinary skills (maybe reflects on the team?) and it would be quite embarrassing having to drop your captain, which I could see being a possibility at some time this year.

It’s hard to suggest replacements without knowing how they perform behind closed doors, but maybe we take a punt and give it to the best young leader? Acres? Dunstan? Steven?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.