Round 4 vs Cats... Positives

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

loris
Saintsational Legend

Re: Round 4 vs Cats... Positives

I get left behind at times with, sayings, nic names, computer speak etc., etc.

StoneCold, could you please enlighten me with the meaning of “Drunk Cousins”? I’m clueless, I don’t know whether to laugh at your oft quip to DH or, to ‘roll my eyes to the heavens’.????????

Moods
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:I get left behind at times with, sayings, nic names, computer speak etc., etc.

StoneCold, could you please enlighten me with the meaning of “Drunk Cousins”? I’m clueless, I don’t know whether to laugh at your oft quip to DH or, to ‘roll my eyes to the heavens’.????????

You won't get an answer any time soon Loris. They've both been banned for a week....

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Saints are a big chance this week down at K Park given some injuries and the Cats are out of form. They really should be 0-3.

Footy is very fickle and things can turn quickly. Just take a look at the Doggies this round just gone. The Saints couldn't go worse than the last 2 games. If we just polish up the goal kicking and inside 50's we're a big chance.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Hey Loris, being from WA I'd assumed you knew what a "Drunk Couins"looked like!

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

I like everyone's optimism but I cant see us being within 60 points of them. I can see the first 100 point drubbing this season.

We cant even kick goals FFS.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: They will be not unhappy to finish bottom 8 and pick up a key position player in this year's draft.
If so, not sure why they acquired Gablett then as picking him up had to be all about making a difference in finals this year.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
howlinwolf wrote: I noticed they've gone with a more mobile ruckman in Ratogalea. Zac Smith seems to be out of favour as is Stanley.
I did not watch the game, but I think Blicavs was the main ruck with Ratogalea to rest him.

So yes hopefully it will be Marshall vs Blicavs.

Also thinking about it. Cats may have gone with that ruck set up due the Nic Nat factor.

Against us they may revert to Smith or Stanley.

Either way I would stick with Marshall.

SoopaSaint
Club Player

Geelong by 89 points!

spert
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: They will be not unhappy to finish bottom 8 and pick up a key position player in this year's draft.
If so, not sure why they acquired Gablett then as picking him up had to be all about making a difference in finals this year.
And dragging more members in, and more through the gate, plus more media focus. :-)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I too must be mad, as I think we may have a chance against the Cats even with it being at KP.

They are not the quickest team, we match up better against them, they do not have a dominant ruck and they may have some significant outs

Besides surely we cannot keep playing as bad as we have the last two week???

I do hope that it does not rain though.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

howlinwolf wrote:
Stephen Theodore wrote:You're a game man heading down there Howlin Wolf
Well I actually live in amongst the one eyed bogan throng. Have to look at the front page headlines daily of the Geelong "Ablettiser".
It's sickening to be honest. But if we lose it's a quick trip home to the Bellarine Peninsula :-)

I reckon they're ripe for the taking at the moment.
I noticed they've gone with a more mobile ruckman in Ratogalea. Zac Smith seems to be out of favour as is Stanley.
I'm hoping our own mobile ruckman , Rowan might be the answer.

Also,I'm dreaming of a Bulldogs type renaissance :-)
Now I'm sounding like Jiggster. Where are you Dave ?
I love your optimism, and I sincerely hope you're on the mark. A belting down at Kardinia Park will not go down well, especially at Saintsational, this site will explode. :wink:

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

We haven't beaten Geelong at Kardinia Park this century! (Our last win was in 1999)

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

SoopaSaint wrote:Geelong by 89 points!
Without Ablett, Cam Guthrie, Nakia Cockatoo, Harry Taylor, Lachie Henderson, potentially Duncan, and an underdone Scott Selwood this is a highly unlikely result.

Remember that although we have had three important retirees last year - including Dempster who didn't play a match, Geelong have lost players too to retirement over the past two years, Lonergan, Enright, Bartel, and Mackie,while Chapman, James Kelly and Steve Johnston were traded before they retired. The Ablett injury will deflate them, as will the trip back from Perth.

They have a ripping midfield but they are not the side they were.

We need to make at least two unforced changes, and as many as four, to improve the side with players from the reserves who deserve a call up, and I think that now that the pressure is on we should see a response in the style in which we play. Steele, Hickey, Battle are all possible ins, plus Mav Weller, if fit. These changes would make for a far more attacking outfit and a lot more physicality around the ball, if not an exactly quick team. As some have suggested playing Paddy at CHB is an option. A hiding by 15 goals would bring an absolute king hell of a blitzkrieg down on the club and everybody at Moorabbin would be well aware of this. While we might be playing like our team of the 80s, the footy landscape is a very different animal. Media, sponsors and supporters, as well as the board have all been very forgiving since 2013 as we have been in a publicly acknowledged rebuild, but that patience has it's limts.
I have no real idea of how we'll improve as nothing I have seen so far this season fills me with any confidence based on substance, but if we play a balance between enthusiastic youth and exuberance with experienced big bodied players playing for redemption we should see a statement made, even if it is at Geelong.

The kicking for goal must be addressed and focused on this week because the simple act of kicking accurately and converting scoring opportunities will have an obviously huge impact on damage control. There can be no excuses for yet another scoring disaster this weekend. Since we last won down there in 1999 (thanks Perfectionist!), our average losing margin has been 56 points. I would sensibly suggest keeping the margin below that would be in the realms of competitive and respectable under the current circumstances.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Mon 09 Apr 2018 10:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
spert
Saintsational Legend

I do not know where our massive turnaround would come from to beat the Cats. I can't see any player who is capable of having a day out and dragging the team up with him. I think the Cats backline could be stretched if we play Hickey, and use Carlise as a forward, to at least take a few marks down there. Our midfield is woeful right now, so in reality, Cats by 10 goals

George27
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:We haven't beaten Geelong at Kardinia Park this century! (Our last win was in 1999)
And a cracking win that was too. I think it was in the Timmy W honeymoon period.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:We haven't beaten Geelong at Kardinia Park this century! (Our last win was in 1999)
We haven't lost there in over three years.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
supersaints
Club Player

My daughter and son in law are Saints supporter but they now live in Geelong .. I buy them a family season ticket because I can't get to more than three or four games since I moved to Tassy
In fact I sail over tomorrow to take them (and my 5 year old grandson) to the footy, he used to say go Saints !!! alas now he says go cats I guess it's the pressure of everyone else in Geelong barracking for them , they have Geelong posters at pre school...

I know it's only a matter of time when her whole family change ... I expect them to decline the membership for next season ... can't say I blame them . It you think it's hard watcyhing the sort of footy we are currently dishing up , then driving home .....spare a thought for those that travel interstate to watch the sort of crap they are dishing up
I'll be watching them for the next three games hope they improve...
I've followed the Saints through darker times but it taking its toll

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
I don't agree.
I think the Ablett trade was a human decision after his sister died.
He is also probably a good bloke to have around to mentor younger players.

Do you think Brisbane recruited Hodge to help in finals?

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Apparently Ablett won’t play. Definitely a bonus, forever hopefull of an upset, but hard to seeing us having the firepower to win at Kardinia.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

parkeysainter wrote:Saints are a big chance this week down at K Park given some injuries and the Cats are out of form. They really should be 0-3.

Footy is very fickle and things can turn quickly. Just take a look at the Doggies this round just gone. The Saints couldn't go worse than the last 2 games. If we just polish up the goal kicking and inside 50's we're a big chance.
To be honest, we should also be 0-3.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:Saints are a big chance this week down at K Park given some injuries and the Cats are out of form. They really should be 0-3.

To be honest, you’re talking crap.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:

:roll:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

kosifantutti wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:

To be honest, you’re talking crap.
Jack Steven getting off the chain and playing like a man possessed saved our bacon. Until then, we were getting absolutely flogged in the centre clearances. It's a good thing it was round 1 and we were playing last years wooden spooners on our own dung heap. If it had been a slightly better team, we would have been cooked.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

We weren’t playing a better team, Jack Steven did get off the chain and we won comfortably in the end.

Rocket
Club Player

Richardson needs to go hard! Make a statement, no longer Mr Nice Guy.

Out - McCartin, Wright, Armitage, Gresham, Long
In - Hickey, Steele, Gilbert, Weller, Lonie (assuming Membrey no good)

Reward strong performance. Hickey to Ruck, Marshall Forward / Ruck and allow Bruce to play FF.