the team I would like to see

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Club Player

the team I would like to see

here are the 18 I pick as the team of the future: - Coffield, Clarke, Marshall, Steven, Steele, Bruce, McCartin, Membrey, Carlisle, Ross, Dunstan, Roberton, Acres, Savage, Billings, Battle, Roberton, Geary : bench- Long, Sinclair, Webster, and????

McCartin is little by little improving and deserves (as we picked him ) to be played until one way or the other we figure out is he the guy we hoped, one of Battle (preferably) or Bruce to go back thus Brown out, Gresham lucky but offers more than Sinclair as a small forward. I would even consider a move of Billings to half back!

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: the team I would like to see

Long- no way. Has no future.

Gresham isn't in your squad- I don't understand why you say he's "lucky but offers more than Sinclair"
but you have Sincs in and no Gresh?

Anyway, find a spot for Logan Austin, he should replace NJ Brown.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Club Player

oops- correct wellardSaint- Gresham is the ????
I have yet to see much of Austin or Clavarino or Langlands so I have not considered them. we have a number of backs under pressure- as their kicking is abysmal, they take the safe options which slows everything letting the opposition set up - some of this could be coaching of course as I noted savage tried a few long bombs but we were not set up for it and were punished.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

For 2018 we simply have to keep playing the youngsters - rotating in and out after a few weeks.
Positives:
Obviously Coff and Marshall. Dunstan terrific. Sincs great first half - just needs to play it out. Acres likewise - should play wing.
Hmm:
Long - may need a brief spell, but shown us something. Webster - just needs to find composure when clearing.
Disappointing:
Gresham, maybe a stint in the twos for a coupl of weeks to learn find more ball. Billings - when the team is poor he is poor. McCartin - honour his leads, must persevere and show faith in him. It may all come to nought.
Bruce - out of sorts and needs to find form (and sticky hands) at Sandy. Wright - no. White - looked out of his depth, but showed last year he may be worth perservering with.
Sandy:
Battle must be rewarded for his current form, especially when the As are playing like they are. Likewise Lonie. With Members out there's an opportunity. Hickey - swing hitting with Marshall maybe his opportunity - both have shown they can play around the ground. Steele - definite one we need to keep and will be right back in next week.. Stevens - depth.
Rice, Austin - need to give them a shot when form warrants a look see. Goddard and the Irish - doubt it. Minch - no. DMac - worth perservering with.
Injured:
Members - obviously our best forward.
Weller - wait and see. In best form he can claim a spot.
Longer - forget it, even if he became a competitive ruck, we can't afford to play one man down around the field.
Freeman - about as likely as a top four finish.
Seniors:
Steven, Ross, Carlisle, Savage, Geary, Robo - need
Newnes - earn his spot back at Sandy - send a message to the team. Armo - sorry, gone. Gilbert - Could play a role, depth when resting youngsters. Brown - needed until (if) Austin earns a spot.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
groupie1
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:For 2018 we simply have to keep playing the youngsters - rotating in and out after a few weeks.
Positives:
Obviously Coff and Marshall. Dunstan terrific. Sincs great first half - just needs to play it out. Acres likewise - should play wing.
Hmm:
Long - may need a brief spell, but shown us something. Webster - just needs to find composure when clearing.
Disappointing:
Gresham, maybe a stint in the twos for a coupl of weeks to learn find more ball. Billings - when the team is poor he is poor. McCartin - honour his leads, must persevere and show faith in him. It may all come to nought.
Bruce - out of sorts and needs to find form (and sticky hands) at Sandy. Wright - no. White - looked out of his depth, but showed last year he may be worth perservering with.
Sandy:
Battle must be rewarded for his current form, especially when the As are playing like they are. Likewise Lonie. With Members out there's an opportunity. Hickey - swing hitting with Marshall maybe his opportunity - both have shown they can play around the ground. Steele - definite one we need to keep and will be right back in next week.. Stevens - depth.
Rice, Austin - need to give them a shot when form warrants a look see. Goddard and the Irish - doubt it. Minch - no. DMac - worth perservering with.
Injured:
Members - obviously our best forward.
Weller - wait and see. In best form he can claim a spot.
Longer - forget it, even if he became a competitive ruck, we can't afford to play one man down around the field.
Freeman - about as likely as a top four finish.
Seniors:
Steven, Ross, Carlisle, Savage, Geary, Robo - need
Newnes - earn his spot back at Sandy - send a message to the team. Armo - sorry, gone. Gilbert - Could play a role, depth when resting youngsters. Brown - needed until (if) Austin earns a spot.
Agree 100%

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

It may be shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic, but here goes

B: Geary, Gilbert, Webster
HB: Savage, Carlisle, Roberton
C: Billings, Acres, Sinclair
HF: Gresham, Bruce, Coffield
F: Marshall, Membrey/Battle, Lonie/Clark
Foll: Hickey, Ross, Steven
Int: Dunstan, Newnes, White, Steele

Few contentious ones in there. Paddy and Armo can have a spell and earn their way back with some solid form.

Gilbert back. Versatile and experienced player and adds more than Brown, including some dash out of defence.

Hickey first ruck. Was among Sandringham’s best. I know he can play and he needs a show of faith from the club. Marshall stays in. Neither is slow or lumbering and both can mark and give us something resting forward.

Acres in the guts. Needs to be at the centre bounces. Take the plunge Richo.

Lonie. Kicked four in the twos and we should reward Sandringham form.

Battle in if Membrey doesn’t come up. Looks a prospect.

Steele responded to being dropped with 41 possessions for Sandringham. Nuff said.

I’d like to find a spot for Clark. Maybe instead of White or Lonie

groupie1
Club Player

I like this except Gilbert for Brown. I think Brown has been outstanding.
And I agree with Lonie getting a look, but if down to him or Clark, I'd be going for Clark. Perhaps both in, Gresham out on form.
I also agree giving Hickey another go for selection integrity.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Clearly the 'road to 2018' is a complete and utter failure and we need to finally accept that this is purely a development year. With this in mind I think we need to stop playing old plodders and give our youth a chance even if their performance might not be quite as consistent as that of a 29 year old C-grader right now.

I think this should be our core team for the rest of the year

B: Roberton, Goddard, Geary
HB: Savage, Carlisle, White
C: Acres, Steele, Sinclair
HF: Billings, Bruce, Clark
F: Gresham, McCartin, Membrey

Foll: Hickey, Steven, Ross
Int: Marshall, Dunstan, Coffield, Newnes

Younger players to get games when form warrants it: Webster, Weller, Longer, Battle, Austin, Rice, Long, Clavarino, Paton, Conellan, McKenzie, Minchington, Freeman, Joyce, Langlands, Pierce, Phillips

Break glass in case of emergency: Brown, Armitage, Gilbert, Stevens

Don't bother: Wright, Lonie

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

not bad.

Austin ahead of Goddard at this stage.

Where does Steel fit in?

Geary is a problem

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

If after 5 games Paddy hasn't started to show clear signs of improvement...drop him
Play two rucks and Battle

F: Billings Bruce Battle
HF: Gresham Marshall Membrey

Tall, fit and mobile

Nee!
spert
Saintsational Legend

The team I would like to see:
Paddy to CHB (to add to his football education)
Carlise to FF

Billings, Gresham, Newnes to the VFL as a kick up the bum, Armo to VFL- is past it now.

Hickey and Marshall sharing ruck duties. Hickey resting deep in the forward line

Battle comes in on the half forward line

Acres and Sinclair not to go in the forward line!