Trade bait

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Trade bait

Seeing as we've sold our 2nd and 3rd round picks this year and the list is still like swiss cheese…

Which players could we trade out to get back into this years draft?

Hickey - I'd prefer to keep him over Longer but he isn't getting a look in, not playing destroys his trade value. - 3rd rounder?

Bruce - popular player, but not getting it done often enough IMO - late 2nd rounder?

Savage - playing good football so value would be at a high, I just feel like we could cover his position with a Coffield type going forward. late 2nd rounder?

Webster - battler, still a worry with the ball in his hands - 3rd rounder?

Weller - probably no trade value 4th rounder or a potential pick upgrade.

The rest are either worth persisting with or retirement / delist material. (Gilbert, Armo, Brown, Stevens, Wright, McKenzie, Minchington)

discuss.

silverhalo
Club Player

Re: Trade bait

dragit wrote:Seeing as we've sold our 2nd and 3rd round picks this year and the list is still like swiss cheese…

Hickey - I'd prefer to keep him over Longer but he isn't getting a look in, not playing destroys his trade value. - 3rd rounder?

Bruce - popular player, but not getting it done often enough IMO - late 2nd rounder?

Savage - playing good football so value would be at a high, I just feel like we could cover his position with a Coffield type going forward. late 2nd rounder?

The rest are either worth persisting with or delist material.

discuss.
McCartin - minimal trade value but might appeal to club lacking a tall forward - 3rd rounder?

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

When basing you estimate of where a trade may be offered - just remember - in any team other than St Kilda - these guys would probably flourish and become game breakers!!!!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'd prefer to keep McCartin at this point in time personally - his value is rock bottom right now, but he could still become a decent player - this view may change if he plays out the year and still struggles to impact games. We must be the worst side for a young key forward to be playing in?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:When basing you estimate of where a trade may be offered - just remember - in any team other than St Kilda - these guys would probably flourish and become game breakers!!!!
That's true, I'm not suggesting we trade all of those guys… but we do need to add young talent to the list - one first rounder, then a fourth rounder isn't going to cut it.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:When basing you estimate of where a trade may be offered - just remember - in any team other than St Kilda - these guys would probably flourish and become game breakers!!!!
That's true, I'm not suggesting we trade all of those guys… but we do need to add young talent to the list - one first rounder, then a fourth rounder isn't going to cut it.
And the 5 free agents we are going to add!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
ace
Saintsational Legend

We need someone who is available for free agency.
We persuade the suitor to pay him a massive front loaded contract.
We get a compensatory first round pick.
We use picks No1 and pick No2 to take the King twins.

Winning the wooden spoon comes naturally to us.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Jack Steven - this one would hurt, our best player but he turns 29 next year - top 10 pick?

sainters85
Club Player

what was the point in trading a top draft pick for carlisle when we're not going to be contending anytime soon.. A wooden spoon this year appears
rather imminent

dragit
Saintsational Legend

sainters85 wrote:what was the point in trading a top draft pick for carlisle when we're not going to be contending anytime soon.. A wooden spoon this year appears
rather imminent
Carlisle & Gresham > Francis

sainters85
Club Player

dragit wrote:
sainters85 wrote:what was the point in trading a top draft pick for carlisle when we're not going to be contending anytime soon.. A wooden spoon this year appears
rather imminent
Carlisle & Gresham > Francis
forgot about gresham.. could trade I guess

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

dragit wrote:Seeing as we've sold our 2nd and 3rd round picks this year and the list is still like swiss cheese…

The rest are either worth persisting with or retirement / delist material. (Gilbert, Armo, Brown, Stevens, Wright, McKenzie, Minchington)

discuss.
All options, but the only player in that mix with any currency would be Bruce and while I agree that he's not getting the required job done, I don't think we can afford to lose him with Membrey being injured (who is also out of form anyway) and Paddy struggling.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
spert
Saintsational Legend

A friend watched some of the Sandy game yesterday and reckons Hickey played a top game.

older saint
SS Life Member

for bait to work you need something attractive on the hook. From your list i would say Webster and Bruce the only thing teams would consider at best both for 2nd rounders, and have to give back a 3rd rounder also .

Hickey - just overlooked for a guy who played 1 game - 4th rounder
Savage - kicks ball and long but necessarily accurately.
Weller - no value elsewhere

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Bruce would easily fetch us a pick in the teens - he’d be highly sort after by better teams. Imagine the Bombers having Daniher at FF, Hooker as a swingman and Bruce as 3rd tall/relief ruck.

Bruce would kick plenty if he got the supply the Crows forwards received last night.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Apparently we couldn't offload Hickey when there were 4-6 clubs gagging for a ruck, if you believe that story. Bruce and Savage have value, others listed don't. Pies might be keen on McCartin. But...we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves at R3 aren't we?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

discuss.
How St Kilda is that - 2018 is projected as a super draft so we trade out our 2nd & 3rd round picks for an unproven full back.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

silverhalo wrote:

The rest are either worth persisting with or delist material.

discuss.
McCartin - minimal trade value but might appeal to club lacking a tall forward - 3rd rounder?

Why would you bother trading him for a third rounder... isnt it worth more keeping him...?

Seriously idiotic suggestion/

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Players with some value who I wouldn't mind trading out

Newnes - could net us a pick in the early 30s
Longer - mid 30s
Webster - late 30s
Hickey - late 40s

If we could trade out a couple of those players and package up two late second round/third round picks to get a pick further up the draft order I'd be happy.

McCartin's value is probably too low to bother trading. If we could get a top 20 pick for him I'd do it.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Players with some value who I wouldn't mind trading out

Longer - mid 30s
Webster - late 30s
Hickey - late 40s

If we could trade out a couple of those players and package up two late second round/third round picks to get a pick further up the draft order I'd be happy.

McCartin's value is probably too low to bother trading. If we could get a top 20 pick for him I'd do it.
If there was a mid season trade period I bet the Giants would give plenty for a fit Billy Longer.
His competitiveness in ruck contests is what they need and their midfield can cover his lack of skills.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:Jack Steven - this one would hurt, our best player but he turns 29 next year - top 10 pick?
I'm torn over this one. It has McEvoy MkII written all over it.

Jack is our one player with burst speed (albeit when his ankle isn't buggered) so, giving away our only weapon on this front when we actually need 3 more seems incongruous to me.

We could use that McEvoy fella right now - not only is he the perfect ruckman for us (and most teams); I can guarantee he'd be a way better onfield leader than our current version.

Go you red, black & white warriors
spert
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:Players with some value who I wouldn't mind trading out

Longer - mid 30s
Webster - late 30s
Hickey - late 40s

If there was a mid season trade period I bet the Giants would give plenty for a fit Billy Longer.
His competitiveness in ruck contests is what they need and their midfield can cover his lack of skills.
Errr.. don't think so