Umpires v Adelaide

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Umpires v Adelaide

Long running towards a lose ball in our forward 50 Crows player knows he can’t keep up tackles him to the ground. Ball was never in possession and the umpire had clear view. Ignored the simple free.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
portosaint
Club Player

Re: Umpires v Adelaide

The Blake Acres missed free 30m out was a bit bemusing. If I didnt laugh I would have cried

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Certainly Acres taken high 15 metres in front then called for holding the ball. Certain goal opportunity lost.

They get 50 penalty for us running past following a player yet when in the last minute Newnes marks between three Crows not even one of them left the protected area so when Newnes tries to switch the ball he has to kick around a Crow and that is 100% a 50 metre penalty a shot for goal from 20 metres out directly in front.

Bad luck that the umps don’t see things our way.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Vazelos
Club Player

2 nd week in a row Acres hasn’t got a few in the forward line..

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Certainly Acres taken high 15 metres in front then called for holding the ball. Certain goal opportunity lost.

They get 50 penalty for us running past following a player yet when in the last minute Newnes marks between three Crows not even one of them left the protected area so when Newnes tries to switch the ball he has to kick around a Crow and that is 100% a 50 metre penalty a shot for goal from 20 metres out directly in front.

Bad luck that the umps don’t see things our way.
Adelaide player ran a metre over the mark in the centre as well.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Watch the replay of when Paddy leads well in the first half, does all the right things but isn't rewarded. The defender was a metre behind Paddy who had the dukes out and the only way he could possibly spoil was to chop Paddy's arm. He was only 30-40m out and on the right side for a right footer. The central ump may have been blokcked with the view but there's 3 maggots isn't there? The commentators were quick to pounce on Paddy and criticise him, but they got it terribly wrong. Watch the replay.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:Watch the replay of when Paddy leads in the first half and his arm is chopped. He was only 30-40m out and on the right side for a right footer. The central ump may have been blokcked with the view but there's 3 maggots isn't there? The commentators were quick to pounce on Paddy and criticise him, but they got it terribly wrong. Watch the replay.
That was the one where Paddy got chopped - we recovered and kicked it about 15 - play on no mark and we kicked a point wasn't it??

Say as opposed to at the other end the Adelaide player marks it closer than we had kicked it, 20 metres out, no angle to speak of, and the mark is paid....

I want 1 umpire, might miss a lot more frees than currently aren't paid, but at least the interpretation would be the same at both ends.....

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

There were three overhead handballs tonight one was called s throw the others play on. The Saints were penalised Crows play on.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Umpiring was poor tonight. But we lost by nearly 50 points... We have bigger problems weekly.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

:roll:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

No-one is saying that the umpires cost us the game - 7,13 will do that to you every week.

But by crap - I would like to watch a game where the interpretation of one umpire is mirrored by the others - even crap like Bruce being called to play on 52 out from goal, and Lynch(?) being allowed to walk back from his mark - towards the centre and not being called.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
shrodes
SS Life Member

Sainter_Dad wrote:No-one is saying that the umpires cost us the game - 7,13 will do that to you every week.
Well actually I think CURLY probably is, just like last week when an almost identical thread was put up.

It would be good to see the umpires be more consistent, I agree.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote:Umpiring was poor tonight. But we lost by nearly 50 points... We have bigger problems weekly.
Level playing field would be nice it’s impossible to justify the call on Acres. Umpire had a perfect view. We kick that it gets momentum building and confidence. McCartin was held wrestled and chopped no frees for the night.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:No-one is saying that the umpires cost us the game - 7,13 will do that to you every week.
Well actually I think CURLY probably is, just like last week when an almost identical thread was put up.

It would be good to see the umpires be more consistent, I agree.
I used to umpire junior games, and I can see how two (almost) identical actions can be seen by different people as having a different result - but surely, we can ask that the same interpretation is taught to the umpires.
Things like blocking in a marking contest - St Kilda got pinged for one against Jacobs, but then Carlisle is clearly blocked, it was the Adelaide players only intention, but the mark is paid - I was baffled.

And seriously - no more 'Rules of the Week' this week I swear it was holding in the ruck.

― Aristophanes

barneyboyz
Club Player

CURLY wrote:
shrodes wrote:Umpiring was poor tonight. But we lost by nearly 50 points... We have bigger problems weekly.
Level playing field would be nice it’s impossible to justify the call on Acres. Umpire had a perfect view. We kick that it gets momentum building and confidence. McCartin was held wrestled and chopped no frees for the night.
You could see that our players were seeing this too, eventually losing belief. Through that period of a game where it’s up for grabs we consistently cop that crap.

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

I’ve just rewatched the Acres non free no way can a umpire miss that unless he has bias.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I remember a similar thread a few years back and posters mentioned the tactics of Clarko and Hawthorn. Remember the strategy that they used to get the umpires on side? It was all about respect, communication, relationship building and good ol brown nosing. There's no point complaining and whinging. The only way to be traeted fairly is have a good relationship with the umpires department and be respectful of all umpires. Do that and we are half way towards winning the mind game and power shift. It's a battle between being hated/being ignored/being respected/being favoured and being judged fairly. Remember everyome would shout 'free kick Hawthorn'?

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

There is no doubt that the standard of umpiring is dreadful

I watched the demons/Roos yesterday and there were some shocking decisions.

Make no mistake it is the missed frees that matter. When Acres is taken high that was at a critical part of the game.

Not to mention the countless excellent tackles we make for no reward. I see this morning there is talk of doing away with prior opportunity. I think it should be the opposite, give them all the opportunity in the world but then police correct disposal.

There are ONLY TWO ways to legally dispose of the ball. Kick and handball. Dropping or placing the ball on the ground is not. Simple.

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
barneyboyz
Club Player

terry smith rules wrote:There is no doubt that the standard of umpiring is dreadful

I watched the demons/Roos yesterday and there were some shocking decisions.

Make no mistake it is the missed frees that matter. When Acres is taken high that was at a critical part of the game.

Not to mention the countless excellent tackles we make for no reward. I see this morning there is talk of doing away with prior opportunity. I think it should be the opposite, give them all the opportunity in the world but then police correct disposal.

There are ONLY TWO ways to legally dispose of the ball. Kick and handball. Dropping or placing the ball on the ground is not. Simple.
Doing away with prior opportunity would just turn the game into touch footy, a tackle would end up being if you got tagged, might as well put ribbons on them and if yours gets grabbed, then it’s a free kick .

All this provides the AFL umpires with more ability to never get a decision wrong. Will never stop the non decisions though

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Long running towards a lose ball in our forward 50 Crows player knows he can’t keep up tackles him to the ground. Ball was never in possession and the umpire had clear view. Ignored the simple free.

Just make a sticky and put your weekly beefs about the umpiring in there instead of spamming the forum with a new thread every week with the same content. Don’t think you actually post about anything else. Must be hell watching a game with you.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
CURLY wrote:Long running towards a lose ball in our forward 50 Crows player knows he can’t keep up tackles him to the ground. Ball was never in possession and the umpire had clear view. Ignored the simple free.

Just make a sticky and put your weekly beefs about the umpiring in there instead of spamming the forum with a new thread every week with the same content. Don’t think you actually post about anything else. Must be hell watching a game with you.
Just pointing out the obvious.

barneyboyz
Club Player

CURLY wrote:
st.byron wrote:

Curly it is a very big problem that I don’t think only we suffer (although there are some teams that seem to get the rub), not us though.

Yeah, as everyone says, we shot ourselves in the foot much of the first half, but holy shyte we struggle with the pricks when it really counts

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
st.byron wrote:

Going to point out any of the obvious frees that Adelaide didn’t get?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:
CURLY wrote:
st.byron wrote:

I saw nothing that can come close to comparing to Acres non free. Also the non frees to Paddy in marking contests while Jacobs getting free after free for apparent blocks. Long streaming goal ward only to be tackled without the ball and when Yeoman Ellis went down with the ball then wouldn’t realease it even when grabbed by Armo the umpire made a new rule up to not award us a clear free.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
The_Dud wrote:
CURLY wrote:
st.byron wrote:

I saw nothing that can come close to comparing to Acres non free. Also the non frees to Paddy in marking contests while Jacobs getting free after free for apparent blocks. Long streaming goal ward only to be tackled without the ball and when Yeoman Ellis went down with the ball then wouldn’t realease it even when grabbed by Armo the umpire made a new rule up to not award us a clear free.
Umpire make mistakes, and if you go to watch a game purely to point out umpiring mistakes against your team of course you’re going to find some. News flash, Adelaide also got dodgy decisions too, but you’re not looking for that, so you dismiss them and harp on 3 decisions in 120 minutes of football that have no real impact on the outcome of the game.

Acres got 2 shots at goal from decisions that were 50/50 at best. Adelaide had a goal overturned from a goal review that looked far from conclusive, which it has to be to overturn the goal umpires call. Carlisle jumps straight into the side of an Adelaide player in a marking contest, getting no where near the ball, nothing was paid.

It goes both ways.

To think there’s some grand AFL conspiracy against St Kilda for the umpires to occasionally miss a decision that should go our way is ludicrous. Supporters watching a game with bias towards their club is not.