Tonight is our most important game since the 2010 GF replay.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Tonight is our most important game since the 2010 GF replay.

It's crunch time tonight. I can't think of a more important game since the 2010 GF replay. After our lacklustre form this year, both in the JLT and the real stuff, we'll see if this season ends up as a "development year", or one in which we fire a genuine shot. We should also know by the end, if the players are playing for each other and the coach and not just going through the motions.

The selection panel started well. Dunstan, Coffield, Marshall and White are the future and it was good to see AR bite the bullet and take a chance on them. Despite the last three named having just 5 games between them, the experience will stand them in good stead.

I'm heading in, full of curiosity as to how these four will perform. They are all crucial if we are to succeed in the medium to long term. Now that the dust has settled after last week's debacle, I'm hoping I see an exciting contest. The only thing I don't want is an "honourable loss". I'm prepared for us to get a bit of a dusting, but there is a sliver of hope in me that dares to dream we could actually knock them off.

We have as good a side as we can muster and they're missing a few. We should come out breathing fire, it's just a matter of how long we can sustain the intensity. These circumstances often create an upset. I hope they're feeling smug and overconfident, the way they normally are. Membrey being out is a huge blow, but not totally fatal to our changes. Along with the four ins, will we finally see Paddy step up? He's the main man in our forward line for the time being and he's long overdue for that breakout game.
Can we do it? Like Bob the Builder, "Yes we can!" Go Sainters!

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
The Recruit
Club Player

Re: Tonight is our most important game since the 2010 GF rep

We will be beaten by 60+ tonight

The Recruit
Club Player

We will be beaten by 60+ tonight

spert
Saintsational Legend

I reckon the team would want to come out with a bit more fire in their belly that the 2010 replay squad who got run over easily. The test for Richo will be to get the team ready to rip heads off in the first quarter- I just don't want to see another dud first quarter and then the rest of the match trying to catch up.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

'respectable' loss will be respectable.
yep, we're back there again.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
philtee
Club Player

Am I missing something?
The only people saying Membrey will be out are a few Saintsational posters.
Can anyone confirm ?

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

philtee wrote:Am I missing something?
Can anyone confirm ?
yes you are correct.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

philtee wrote:Am I missing something?
Can anyone confirm ?
It was stated as a whisper on SEN ten minutes ago

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I think the most important game after the 2010 GF2 was the 2011 EF. Dunno about in between but another "important" game was our Round 16 2017 game, at the end of which, one team had high expectations and the other had no expectations. So much for expectations.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:I think the most important game after the 2010 GF2 was the 2011 EF. Dunno about in between but another "important" game was our Round 16 2017 game, at the end of which, one team had high expectations and the other had no expectations. So much for expectations.
Good point, perfectionist. Our last final was our last realistic crack at that elusive second premiership. The drop off after that Richmond game last year and the pissweak efforts in the ensuing seven weeks, were the basis for my preseason posts predicting disaster.

How Richmond rallied to win the flag after that has bewildered me. The luckiest premiership in history, while we slumped to eleventh. So saints. There have been a number of fork in the road games since 2011. Tonight adds to the history. I just hope we're not blown away early and get flogged by a huge margin. Could be season over by round three.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
spert
Saintsational Legend

Richmond have strong leadership from the top down, and they really got their sh*t together in the last half of 2017. Our leadership is marshmallow.