trade/draft wins and losses

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

trade/draft wins and losses

Watching McEvoy almost be BOG on Monday had me go back and look at what we have done and whether it was as bad a i thought or perhaps this was just one we got wrong.

Trade:
McEvoy for Shane Savage and Luke Dunstan (18). - Loss - but not as much as initially thought. Dunstan is continuing to develop. Savage inconsistant solid but not star ( Not considering current Ruck situation just purely the trade and what has happened so far.)
Picks 19 for 24 and 59. Blake Acres for Billy Hartung & Jonathan Ceglar. WIN purely on players drafted. Good draft pick although passed on Matt Crouch and Zach Merrett.
Luke Delaney for pick 77 - Draw . 1 ok season then nothing , pick 77 ontraded to collingwood
Billy Longer and pick 48 for Pick 25 and 41. Daniel McStay and 41 on traded to Geeling - Kolodjashni - WIN
Josh Bruce for pick 48 - WIN - GWS didn't use this pick . Makes Longer deal above look even better

Drafted : Billings, Acres, Dunstan and relished Tom Curren
Overall for 2013 3 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss

2014:
Stanley & pick 60 for pick 21 - Hugh Goddard - Unknown. Stanley definitely hasn't performed to say a loss and may have been delisted by now, but Goddard
Membrey pick up Free Agent - Win

Drafted : McCartin, Goddard , McKenzie, Lonie, - passed on Petracca,
1 Win , 1 unknown.
Total 4 Wins, 1 draw, 1 loss , 1 unknown

2015:
Nathan Freeman & 68 for pick 2016 (2) & 63 : 2nd round pick on traded for James Aish. overall must be LOSS
Carlisle & 14 for 5 & 24 . Confusing but 14 ends up being 18 Gresham. 5 ends up being 6 (Aaron Francis and 24 biomes 29 Alex Morgan. WIN
Drafted: Gresham, B White, B Rice,

Hope i got that right - 1 win 1 loss

totals 5 Wins, 1 draw, 2 Loss, 1 unknown.

2016:
Jack Steele for 2017 2nd round pick ( Brent Daniels ) - WIN but early days
Picks 23, 36 2017 1st round - to hawthorn pick 10 and 68 . Allowed Haw to do Tom Mitchell & Omera deals. Without looking at selections was a WIN . Hunter Clarke, Josh Battle for Jack Bowes , Dylan Clarke
Koby Steven & Pick 61 for pick 50 - Lewis Young . Depth player but WIN
Nathan Brown Free agent cost nothing - WIN

Drafted : Ben Long , Battle - passed up Parfitt, Zach Fisher, Shai Bolton

Totals 9 Wins, 1 draw, 2 loss 1 unknown.

2017:
too early to tell on anything

Overall was surprised we had actually traded well, with Carlise the only big fish , but much better than i had thought. Perhaps you remember to the bad more than the good. To me only real blunders are McEvoy trade, Drafting Ben Long ( hopefully proven wrong) and Freeman

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: trade/draft wins and losses

I guess it's a longer game to analyse some of these trades…

We've burnt some serious picks on ruckmen over the past ten years and now don't seem to have a half decent one on the list… McEvoy, Hickey, Longer all high picks… Stanley converted into a high pick but instead we have a bloke that can't get on the field at all.

Dunstan is 23 and should be shredding but isn't getting picked in favour of a journeyman clogger… even when the side should be in development mode.

Do a quick ten year review of our W/L record at the trade/draft table and you will want to cut someone.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

need to consider the fact that the mcevot trade got us acres. if we didn't have 18 for dunstan, we would've used 19 on him.
Also in considering the Longer trade - we missed a shot at merrett as a result

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

How about add 2012. Our worst draft/trade period ever

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
elizabethr
Club Player

If wishes were horses
Then beggars would ride

nothing to say
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Interesting read and a very insightful assessment.

While it indicates that the club has probably done a little better in trades than perhaps many (including myself) may have given them credit for, a lot of these “wins” are wins on the basis that we didn’t give up a lot in the first place. It’s a moneyball rebuild that’s cost little and created an okay team, but far from a very good one.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Drake Huggins
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote:Interesting read and a very insightful assessment.

While it indicates that the club has probably done a little better in trades than perhaps many (including myself) may have given them credit for, a lot of these “wins” are wins on the basis that we didn’t give up a lot in the first place. It’s a moneyball rebuild that’s cost little and created an okay team, but far from a very good one.
This. Given the strength of our position in the drafts of 2012-17, we should be much better than we are.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
older saint
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:How about add 2012. Our worst draft/trade period ever
I try to block out everything that went with the Scott Waters era, challenging Tim Watson as worst coach/decision maker in my life time

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Don't forget the Laurel and Hardy of list management, Pelchen and the flathead. If anyone's to blame, it's them.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Picks 19 for 24 and 59. Blake Acres for Billy Hartung & Jonathan Ceglar.
Ceglar was a NAB AFL Draft rookie elevation (Hawthorn) at selection No. 59. So 59 is irrelevant as teams just use whatever their last pick/s are. Might as well have been pick 169. So was not part of any real trade as effectively the Hawks did not use 59 on a "live" pick.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saint-stu
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:need to consider the fact that the mcevot trade got us acres. if we didn't have 18 for dunstan, we would've used 19 on him.
Also in considering the Longer trade - we missed a shot at merrett as a result
Also it would have been one trade, but Hawks were waiting on Buddy compensation so had to split it into two. It was basically Acres, Dunstan and Savage for McEvoy and Hartung.

1ac46a38
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:Don't forget the Laurel and Hardy of list management, Pelchen and the flathead. If anyone's to blame, it's them.
I do not know why Bains is getting off lightly here. Signing up players like Pierce etc, on long terms deals so that we effectively get to pay for Frankston's ruckman this year.

We needed to have churned more, made less use of bargain players and not had so many fringe players on long-term contracts. And speaking of long-term contracts, not done his parting gift of re-signing Richo with a unnecessary extension announced on 6th October (so deal actually done prior to that before joining the Dogs on 23rd October!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....