Time to hit the RESET button

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kell
Club Player

Time to hit the RESET button

I haven’t posted here for many years. The reason I stopped posting was because of the negativity and the attack mentality of the less emotionally mature posters. It might be time to hit the rest button.Let see how we go?

The St Kilda team that played in 2009 and 2010 grand finals was in my view the most talented group of players the club has ever assembled. ( …..and yes I was around in 1966) The team was the product of 10 years development. As St Kilda fell from its perch in 2011 it was not difficult to understand and appreciate the climb back up the ladder would be profoundly difficult….. compounded by the introduction of two new teams being given ALL the priority picks over the period in which we were expected to rebuild. It is not difficult to understand why we have not risen from the ashes like the Phoenix.

I wanted to see the team of assembled champions achieve their goal and see their joy in winning a premiership (or two or three). They didn't and I understand their disappointment. In light of this I know the negative posts on this site are an expression of the disappointment passionate supporters feel from the losses in 2009 and 2010. There is a perverse logic that drives some to share their pain and blame others for the lingering disappointment. Blame the club, current recruiters, current players, current coaches etc.. and suggest they are somehow symptomatic and causative of our earlier loses and cultural shortcomings. “……..this is why we always lose etc”

It is not an overstatement to suggest Australians are currently doing a bit of soul-searching regarding our “sporting culture”. In my view some of the opinions and outpourings by “supporters” this week suggest we have truly lost our way and don't understand the meaning and purpose of sport.

Whilst Australians yearn for sporting success we are upset when our ugly underbelly is exposed by the “win at all costs mentality”. I don't need to recount the events that have plagued the Australian cricketers in recent weeks . It is not difficult to appreciate they would be reliving the events over and over in their mind. I suspect they would rather have lost the game, series indeed every game thereafter rather than be labelled cheats. I feel very sorry for them and don’t envy the burden they will carry as a result of their conduct.

Without giving away any personal secrets, I can disclose in my younger days I went ok on the world stage at my chosen sport. Despite my success in competitions, I have absolutely no hesitation saying my most valuable memories from those times arises when someone contacts me out of the blue to say they “remember meeting me or competing against me in 1977 when I was competing at ….and recall I took the time to talk and spend time with them and how they now share that experience with their children as an example of “good sportmanship”. I certainly had a burning desire to win but I am so so glad that desire was not overshadow poor sportmanship”

I suspect some supporters believe the club “owes them a premiership”. Can I suggest past and current players give us something far more valuable than premierships each time they played. Look at the courage, resilience poise and skill Roo, Kosi, Goddard, Monty, Harvey, Burke the G Train, Steven, etc…. who can claim to have played to the best of their ability whilst embracing the highest standards of sportsmanship and fairness …That is Saints footy!!!….Keep up the good work FELLAS!!!

PS Notwithstanding, a premiership would also be nice!!!!...please.

GO SAINTS
Last edited by kell on Fri 06 Apr 2018 6:25pm, edited 4 times in total.

barneyboyz
Club Player

Re: Time to hit the RESET button

Failure used to be considered a stepping stone to success. It seems (in sport at least) that failure is now bad business. I mean look at how quick all the sponsors have dried-up in the cricket. Poor decisions were made, yes, but they weren't even home and they were judged and cut from the fray.

Makes me laugh the whole sponsors thing, like the TAC sponsoring footy sides...well right up until some poor bugger stupidly drinks and drives. That is always going to be inevitable, isn't it?

Welcome back, I also hope our side goes well, even if it's difficult whilst remembering those great years between 04 and 10 and Go Saints!

P.S. how many sponsors did the Dopers lose? bit suss that team

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
santazzi
Club Player

Wow Kell. I am glad you are back.

kell
Club Player

Thanks BB.

I agree with your sponsorship comment. I suspect many are questioning their attitude to core values. That bloke in USA who who cheats and lies his way through life so long as he "wins" has help sharpen the focus. Saints supporters generally appreciate genuine contributions such as Riewoldt's efforts over the journey above Premierships. Who's legacy is stronger Riewoldt or Hird ? Premierships and winning are great but should not be the principal motivation.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

speaking of club and money and such matters as core values
I just recv'd an email form the club reminding me the Good Friday Guernsey auction ends tonight
anyone in the hunt for a bargain priced memorabilia item???
Dare I say it they probably didnt even need to wash them

Seeya
loris
Saintsational Legend

Wonderful to have such an erudite poster back. Now no humorous letters of unrequited love to the Saints this time kell, or the LS Flash will be into you!

older saint
SS Life Member

Probably comes down a lot to now days where football clubs are businesses, where as 20+ years ago they were sporting clubs . While supporters will judge success by on field performance, the Board, CEO and President will judge by both on field performance and off field financial performance. While often 1 goes hand in hand with the other things such as clubs selling games interstate show where the priority lies at board level.

Sport is full of grey areas and fine lines. I am sure most would have defended the cricketers more had it not come out that it was an poorly planned scheme to cheat, as many others such as England with the lollies, Afridi biting the ball and SA with lollies also have done the same before, just much more discretely to allow for some doubt to be available to them. Lance Armstrong , the greatest cheat of all time, still defends his actions on the basis that everyone else was doing the same. The Lyon era was unique for this club with a quality leader and a powerful committed group of players who left everything on the table but where not able to reach the ultimate prize. For them and many of us supporters it wasn't success as their mark is on field, for the club during that period it was ,increased membership , sponsorship and exposure.

We face great challenges with this group, a plan was put in place and while we have very good players when matched up with most teams 5-20 we lack top end class. Who will make the difference to take us to the next level - on field through individual growth or off field through brilliant admin / recruiting/ management. Time will tell.

Welcome back.