Time to hit the RESET button

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kell
Club Player

Time to hit the RESET button

I haven’t posted here for many years. The reason I stopped posting was because of the negativity and the attack mentality of the less emotionally mature posters. It might be time to hit the rest button.Let see how we go?

The St Kilda team that played in 2009 and 2010 grand finals was in my view the most talented group of players the club has ever assembled. ( …..and yes I was around in 1966) The team was the product of 10 years development. As St Kilda fell from its perch in 2011 it was not difficult to understand and appreciate the climb back up the ladder would be profoundly difficult….. compounded by the introduction of two new teams being given ALL the priority picks over the period in which we were expected to rebuild. It is not difficult to understand why we have not risen from the ashes like the Phoenix.

I wanted to see the team of assembled champions achieve their goal and see their joy is winning premiership. They didn't and I understand their disappointment. In light of this I know the negative posts on this site are an expression of the disappointment passionate supporters feel from the losses in 2009 and 2010. There is a perverse logic that drives some to share their pain and blame others for the lingering disappointment. Blame the club, current recruiters, current players, current coaches etc.. and suggest they are somehow symptomatic and causative of our earlier loses and cultural shortcomings. “……..this is why we always lose etc”

It is not an overstatement to suggest Australian are currently doing a bit of soul-searching regarding our “sporting culture”. In my view some of the opinions and outpourings by “supporters” this week suggest we have truly lost our way and don't understand the meaning and purpose of embracing sport.

Whilst Australians yearn for sporting success we are upset when our ugly underbelly is exposed by the “win at all costs mentality”. I don't need to recount the events that have plagued the Australian cricketers in recent weeks . It is not difficult to appreciate they would be reliving the events over and over in their mind. I suspect they would rather have lost the game, series indeed every game thereafter rather than be labelled cheats. I feel very sorry for them and don’t envy the burden they will carry as a result of their conduct.

Without giving away any personal secrets, I can disclose in my younger days I went ok on the world stage at my chosen sport. Despite my success in competitions, I have absolutely no hesitation saying my most valuable memories from those times arises when someone contacts me out of the blue to say they “remember meeting me or competing against me in 1977 when I was competing at ….and recall I took the time to talk to them spend time with them and they share that experience with their children as an example of “good sportmanship”. I certainly had a burning desire to win but I am so so so glad that desire was not overshadow poor sportmanship”

I suspect some supporter believe the club “owes them a premiership”. Can I suggest past and current players give us something far more valuable than premierships each week. Look at the courage, resilience poise and skill Roo, Kosi, Goddard, Monty, Harvey, Burke the G Train, Steven, etc…. who can claim to have played to the best of their ability whilst embracing the highest standards of sportsmanship and fairness …That is Saints footy!!!….Keep up the good work FELLAS!!!

PS Notwithstanding, a premiership would also be nice!!!!...please.

GO SAINTS