The Official (Real) Round 3 Team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Recruit
Club Player

Re: the Real Round 3 Team

BringBackMadDog wrote:Weller must be really on the nose at the moment, 25 possessions and 5 goals and still doesn't get a game. Sinclair can count his lucky stars, he has offered nothing in both games and worse still he is getting killed by his direct opponent
Has not been given a chance. Played great footy on a wing last year...first two games forward pocket...So Hunter C could play there...u will find he will be back to the wing against crows

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Official (Real) Round 3 Team

congorozides wrote:Coffield is a big lad.
Maybe they have plans to ruck him

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Ive got a reallly good feeling about Marshall. Big task though. Cometh the hour, cometh the man. Good luck son. Coffield might get a wing.

The Recruit
Club Player

The read I get in Hickey is that he is mentally weak as a football player.
The fact he has some amazing games in the past shows he has talent but does not explain why he can also be so terrible.
It can only be above the shoulders. Watching him play when he is confident he is great by when things don’t go his way he drops his head very quickly and things get a little too hard. As a coach I would find this hard to deal with. It is why they have so much faith in Longer...always gives his best no matter how things are going...a player who drops his head and’ gives up can be like a cancer for a playing group...unfortunately Hickey just gives up in the contest too easy....coaches cant stand players like that.

Hickey has a long way to go befor he plays for the saints again. Or AFL football for that matter

portosaint
Club Player

I work with Rowans father, and they are so keen for this. Good luck to the young bloke. Massive ask!

spert
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote:The read I get in Hickey is that he is mentally weak as a football player.
The fact he has some amazing games in the past shows he has talent but does not explain why he can also be so terrible.
It can only be above the shoulders. Watching him play when he is confident he is great by when things don’t go his way he drops his head very quickly and things get a little too hard. As a coach I would find this hard to deal with. It is why they have so much faith in Longer...always gives his best no matter how things are going...a player who drops his head and’ gives up can be like a cancer for a playing group...unfortunately Hickey just gives up in the contest too easy....coaches cant stand players like that.

Hickey has a long way to go befor he plays for the saints again. Or AFL football for that matter
Don't know what's worse at the moment- a ruck who drops their head, or a ruck who can't get his hands on the ball or take a mark. As a teammate, both scenarios would not give me confidence. I hope Marshall at least gives it a good go and gives us a bit of a target.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote:The read I get in Hickey is that he is mentally weak as a football player.

I was thinking that too. The third man up was a strategy that suited him, blocking the ruck, rather than takung it on more suited to being an extra tall midfielder. Weak mentally and physically.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I like the ins and outs but I don’t like Marshall being in by himself... especially against Jacobs who is a beast.

The closest I can get to problem solving this is Paddy out for Hickey, start Marshall forward and have him to relief work?

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

So apart for the ruck for (sort of) ruck we have outs in Stevens, Steele (2 midfielders) and Clark HFF and brought in Dunstan (1 midfielder) and White and Coffield (2 HBF) giving us a total of 4 HBF??? :shock:

I suppose the ball will be in our back line a fair bit. :roll:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

It can only be above the shoulders etc
Richo dropped him like a hot stone after a very successful 2016. I think that may be a factor in his lack of confidence. Coach shows no faith in him

bergsone
SS Life Member

desertsaint wrote:Definitely should have brought Gilbert in to support Marshall with the rucking. If it falls on Bruce again well bugger me. which it will. Coffield could earn his spot rather than being thrown in on a whim and a prayer.
Agree Gilbert with the new boy,better than Bruce,plus Gilbert can play other roles if needed

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I like the ins and outs but I don’t like Marshall being in by himself... especially against Jacobs who is a beast.

The closest I can get to problem solving this is Paddy out for Hickey, start Marshall forward and have him to relief work?

Well if I was coach I would use Carlisle, who is a pretty able and tall ruckman, to spell Marshall. Marshall can rest on the pine or play in defence which he has done at VFL level.

Jacobs 202 cm and 102kg
Marshall cm 201 and 101kg (and I suspect that Rowan has bulked up since this weigh in)
Calrlisle 201cm and 104 kg

In the practice match against the Dees Marshall certainly took it up to Gawns 208 cm and 109 kg.

I am not expecting Marshall to beat Jacobs, but my eye is now firmly on 2020 and for this to be a development year for our younger players.

If one believes that the change in the third man up rule has castrated Hickey's career and that Longer is just not showing any signs of coming on around the ground, then why not fast track Marshall to see if his promise of being a ruckman who can be good around the ground , including kicking goals, can be fulfilled?

I personally I think we have nothing to lose as I have little faith in Longer ever being an advantage.

Besides if Marshall does bloom, then a Marshall/Carlisle combo where both can play forward, back or ruck is a pretty lethal weapon potentially.

Moreso I believe that the club should now all be about building our best team for 2020 + rather than trying to win it it this year. Besides, personally I think that the only way we could win it this year would be by our youth having an amazing "Baby Bombers" year.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
noddy04
Club Player

Would they give Brown a go in the ruck?. Hes big enough to go with Jacobs. Just wondering.....I reckon Tex will rip him a new one unfortunately. And I hope Gears stomps on Betts. Been on the radio over here mouthing off how he always runs amok against the Saints. Just lay him out Gears and dont worry about getting pinged. Just do it. Tahlia has been on the TV as well telling everyone how good he used to be on Rooey and that our 3 talls are easy pickings...

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Marshall is most definitely big enough. Can jump too.

The one thing we can be sure of is that he will damn well compete and win his own ball too.

I like the ins.

It's not the same old shyte.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
skeptic wrote:I like the ins and outs but I don’t like Marshall being in by himself... especially against Jacobs who is a beast.

Well if I was coach I would use Carlisle, who is a pretty able and tall ruckman, to spell Marshall. Marshall can rest on the pine or play in defence which he has done at VFL level.

Jacobs 202 cm and 102kg
Marshall cm 201 and 101kg (and I suspect that Rowan has bulked up since this weigh in)
Calrlisle 201cm and 104 kg

In the practice match against the Dees Marshall certainly took it up to Gawns 208 cm and 109 kg.

I am not expecting Marshall to beat Jacobs, but my eye is now firmly on 2020 and for this to be a development year for our younger players.

If one believes that the change in the third man up rule has castrated Hickey's career and that Longer is just not showing any signs of coming on around the ground, then why not fast track Marshall to see if his promise of being a ruckman who can be good around the ground , including kicking goals, can be fulfilled?

I personally I think we have nothing to lose as I have little faith in Longer ever being an advantage.

Besides if Marshall does bloom, then a Marshall/Carlisle combo where both can play forward, back or ruck is a pretty lethal weapon potentially.

Moreso I believe that the club should now all be about building our best team for 2020 + rather than trying to win it it this year. Besides, personally I think that the only way we could win it this year would be by our youth having an amazing "Baby Bombers" year.

Really good response. Wish the coach had this degree of ingenuity

groupie1
Club Player

I like the ins.

Steele looks a bit lost, though played out of position it seems.

VERY harsh on Stevens, who was outstanding in game 1

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Very sore. Didn’t complete training.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Marshall is most definitely big enough. Can jump too.

The one thing we can be sure of is that he will damn well compete and win his own ball too.

I like the ins.

100% agree. Gives us something to get excited about. The old guard will have to work their way back. Nice to hear that Mav kicked 5 goals and had 25 possessions last week in the VFL so still applying pressure. Hammy obviously stuffed his chances, but I'm rapt we're giving young Coffield a go. Marshall deserves to have a crack and let's face it, he surely can't do any worse than what's been delivered first 2 rounds. Was real impressed what he did against Gawn in the JLT. Dunstan should have been in from the start. Don't know much about White but I'm looking fwd to seeing what he can deliver

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Marshall is most definitely big enough. Can jump too.

I like the ins.

Plus one.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I think the team selection may indicate the selection criteria for this week, footskills.

Marshall comes in for Longer, but then the other 3 are all good by foot, White in particular has elite footskills. That would explain Gilbo's non-selection.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Linton Lodger wrote:I think the team selection may indicate the selection criteria for this week, footskills.

Marshall comes in for Longer, but then the other 3 are all good by foot, White in particular has elite footskills. That would explain Gilbo's non-selection.
Also Gilbo didn't play anywhere last week, so was never gonna be selected!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

EMERGENCIES
11 Hunter Clark
19 Sam Gilbert
25 Koby Stevens
34 Nathan Wright

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:EMERGENCIES
11 Hunter Clark
19 Sam Gilbert
25 Koby Stevens
34 Nathan Wright
I'm tipping a late change where Gilbo comes in as ruck support

stonecold
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:EMERGENCIES
11 Hunter Clark
19 Sam Gilbert
25 Koby Stevens
34 Nathan Wright

I'm tipping a late change where Gilbo comes in as ruck support
Noted, but don't think it will happen, but you never know!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

it's weird because we supposedly brought stevens into rnd 1 ahead of the better performed, much better potential of dunstan, simply to do a tagging job. which he did (not that it helped in the general scheme of things). Then left Stevens in when there was no tag given. Now we have a definite tag target (sloane) and he's out.

Also worried about Marshall and Bruce combo - should have Gilbert in.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "