Paddy and the burden of symbolism

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paddy and the burden of symbolism

I think you'll find that Ben's move co-incided with a change in body shape of nearly all AFL players. It had more to do with the Druggies getting caught rather than a dramatic change in coaches tactics imo. Perhaps more recent changes to caps on interchange rotations combined with Asada and the AFL getting very suspicious of what each club was doing in regards to 'supplements' was also the driver. I look at BJ now and compare that to how he looked in the 2010 GF. Lots of players have trimmed down whether they were mids or kpp. Even Nicky Dal had quite a different body shape in the last 4-5 years of his career.

Maybe a talented forward like Paddy was seen as an assett 10 years ago, but the game has changed. The fitness of all AFL players keeps going up to new levels. If you cannot be an athletic running machine, perhaps the Greg Williams and the Sam Mitchells and Paddy McCartins of the world will be state league players at best.

Tom Scully and Mark Bliczav type athletes will be the norm and not the exception. I don't think Paddy can be a running machine which is what is required as a forward - look at Tom Hawkins these days and his body shape and his GPS distance per game. With interchange caps and the way the game is going with pace and relentless running, you can't afford to carry a bloke who cannot push himself to gain the fitness required to keep up with his opponents

Drake Huggins
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:It’s not his fault but he should never had been selected top 20 let alone first pick given his medical condition and the risk involved.

Negligent.
Nailed it! A few recruiters said this at the time as well.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Drake Huggins
Club Player

ace wrote:
SaintPav wrote:It’s not his fault but he should never had been selected top 20 let alone first pick given his medical condition and the risk involved.

Negligent.
Negligence implies you did not take sufficient care.
Trout took plenty of care and did it anyway.
That is wilful failure.
And instead of being sacked he gets promoted.
That so-called promotion is not all it seems. He's under as much pressure as anyone at the moment. Liberatore "right behind him" in political speak. We all know what that means.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
groupie1
Club Player

Give the kid a break. It's effectively his second season. How'd Plugger look by season 2? Jesus!

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:Give the kid a break. It's effectively his second season. How'd Plugger look by season 2? Jesus!
It's actually his fourth season. By the same time, Tony Lockett had kicked 19, 77 and 79 goals in his first three seasons (cf 3,14 and 5). However, no-one should be compared to Plugger - in my opinion, the most skillful player to have ever played the game who, as we have seen recently, was probably not ever really fit for any of his 281 games. The mind boggles at what he might have done if he had the fitness level of (say) Nick Riewoldt, or even an average fitness level. The first thing Paddy needs to do is get really fit - alas, that appears to be an impossibility at our club.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
groupie1 wrote:Give the kid a break. It's effectively his second season. How'd Plugger look by season 2? Jesus!
It's actually his fourth season. By the same time, Tony Lockett had kicked 19, 77 and 79 goals in his first three seasons (cf 3,14 and 5). However, no-one should be compared to Plugger - in my opinion, the most skillful player to have ever played the game who, as we have seen recently, was probably not ever really fit for any of his 281 games. The mind boggles at what he might have done if he had the fitness level of (say) Nick Riewoldt, or even an average fitness level. The first thing Paddy needs to do is get really fit - alas, that appears to be an impossibility at our club.
Spot on perfectionist - Plugger started younger than Paddy and by 22 was a Brownlow medalist.
To compare is ridiculous and Paddy as a player is not in the same stratosphere as Plugger.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Drake Huggins
Club Player

Comparisons to plugger are ridiculous. I think Hogan is a better subject. Both have huge expectations on them. Both play the same position and role. Both have had struggles with injury. Similar styles and age. Ask yourself honestly. If Melbourne offered Hogan for McCartin, would you do it? The main difference I see is that Hogan has shown far more than Paddy and has kicked bags of goals. Paddy has yet to kick more than two in a game.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Drake Huggins
Club Player

Forgot to add Hogan has 113 goals from 53 games and topped the club goalkicking in his first two seasons.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
ace
Saintsational Legend

Paddy needs to realise that once we collect the 2018 wooden spoon we will collect Max King at No1 draft pick.
Or will it be brother Ben King.
Then Paddy will not even get to play at Sandringham.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

With Josh Battle lingering at Sandringham, at some stage the club’s hand will be forced and they'll have to make some sort of decision on the direction they want to take.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
groupie1
Club Player

Sorry lads, point is missed. McCartin is essentially entering his second season (in terms of games played). And his first season - spread out over 3 - was injury-riddled. I reckon he looks Membrey-esque in his first season with us - the marks weren't sticking, he couldn't kick straight, didn't look comfortable at the level. Season 2 and since, he can't drop a mark, he kicks straighter for goal than anyone else and oozes confidence. Once the marks start sticking for Paddy, he'll be a different footballer. I reckon a hard-boiled mentor, Brereton, Brown... part-time... to encourage him to get some bone-crunching mongrel in him is the ticket.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga