Richo on 360 transcript

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Re: Richo on 360 transcript

I reckon he has seven weeks.

If we see one more performance like that of Friday and the drums will be beating.

Seven weeks.

Adelaide H
Cats A
Giants H
Hawks A (Tas)
Melb H
Freo A
Coll H

That is the reality of it. We, may not win a game for a while.

Once the media get onto this one, it is a slippery slope into the black hole.

Sacking Coaches is never, ever a good look.
Then you have the two and a half years worth of salary we would be paying out.
Then you have that being added to the ridiculous debt situation.
Then you have the lack of sponsorship
Lack of membership.
Another rebuild
Media circle like sharks and everything is neg
AFL has us over a barrel... No options.
Welcome to Tasmania.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
Lack of membership.
Another rebuild
Welcome to Tasmania.
Then there's the tiny little problem of finding someone who is actually better (and who is silly enough to take the gig). How did that go the last couple of times we did it?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
spert
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
bigred wrote:
Lack of membership.
Another rebuild
Welcome to Tasmania.
Then there's the tiny little problem of finding someone who is actually better (and who is silly enough to take the gig). How did that go the last couple of times we did it?
There's always someone better. The club, struggling financially had no issues forking out $500k to remove the last coach and pay a sum to PA to get Richo, in order to put on performances like last Friday.. after 5 years at the helm.

barneyboyz
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:Did he try and put trout under the bus again?

I’m beginning to think we should cut our losses and give Richo the arse now.
I am starting to think so :oops:

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
barneyboyz
Club Player

spert wrote:
satchmo wrote:
bigred wrote:
Lack of membership.
Another rebuild
Welcome to Tasmania.
There's always someone better. The club, struggling financially had no issues forking out $500k to remove the last coach and pay a sum to PA to get Richo, in order to put on performances like last Friday.. after 5 years at the helm.
20 more weeks of Good Friday footy and we're stuffed financially anyway

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

satchmo wrote:
bigred wrote:
Lack of membership.
Another rebuild
Welcome to Tasmania.
Maybe you are actually asking if we have the administrative acumen to appoint an excellent coach. I have no idea on that one but it is not a glamorous history.
Seven weeks of the toad in the pot, with the water getting to boiling point. Unless the boys can take the heat off, by showing their potential. I really hope that they can do this and start by winning on Saturday! :D :shock:

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

we're safe at moorabbin for now - too much expense in developing that and too much potential for the afl to jeopardise it in the short future. But paying out a two year contract won't be viewed well at all at afl house. we are in a quandarry. i get that management disn't want to risk another lyon escape, but lyon had huge runs on the board and was in demand. perhaps they somehow thought richo was a target for the Suns? God knows why we gave him that extension. Well i have one theory - after 2016 we massively overrated our list progress and coach, and assumed we were going to get a gun FA.
And here we are. Do we grind on, stay a middling side, or accept we need to change things up asap if we want to contend in the not too distant future? Can we afford to rebuild and sack our coach?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

bigred wrote:I reckon he has seven weeks.

If we see one more performance like that of Friday and the drums will be beating.

Seven weeks.

Adelaide H
Cats A
Giants H
Hawks A (Tas)
Melb H
Freo A
Coll H

Lack of membership.
Another rebuild
Welcome to Tasmania.
Tasmania if we're lucky. Gold Coast if we're not so..

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

So how will we all feel if we come out and roll Adelaide by six goals.

With our guys having a red hot dip....?

We have to start winning now.

I honestly reckon that if we have to go down rebuild road again it is the end of the club.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
barneyboyz
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote:
bigred wrote:I reckon he has seven weeks.

Seven weeks.

Adelaide H
Cats A
Giants H
Hawks A (Tas)
Melb H
Freo A
Coll H

Lack of membership.
Another rebuild
Welcome to Tasmania.
Tasmania if we're lucky. Gold Coast if we're not so..
From a long time disappointed supporter, I'd almost look at that. North should have taken GC Suns on too

scallopsroe
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:we're safe at moorabbin for now - too much expense in developing that and too much potential for the afl to jeopardise it in the short future. But paying out a two year contract won't be viewed well at all at afl house. we are in a quandarry. i get that management disn't want to risk another lyon escape, but lyon had huge runs on the board and was in demand. perhaps they somehow thought richo was a target for the Suns? God knows why we gave him that extension. Well i have one theory - after 2016 we massively overrated our list progress and coach, and assumed we were going to get a gun FA.
And here we are. Do we grind on, stay a middling side, or accept we need to change things up asap if we want to contend in the not too distant future? Can we afford to rebuild and sack our coach?
We can't afford to sack the coach, that's our dilemma and the reality of the situation. We could get better assistants in to help what appears to be a dearth of footy brains in the coaching box. Perhaps the list was overrated when contracts were extended and we were talking about being a serious finals contender. That has now been exposed as a myth. There are some very good young players that are on the Saints list but playing with little confidence with limited game time and the on field leadership is poor. Some players haven't been given a fair opportunity to get game time. That's why I believe Paddy should be given every chance to get confidence in his game. Let's face it, Plugger would struggle to kick goals the manner in which the footy is delivered into the current Saints forward line.
Every aspect of our game, from kick outs to movement into the forward line needs an overhaul.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The reason Paddy lacks confidence is simple.
He isn't AFL fit.
He has been allowed to float through four years in the system without being fit.
The coaches have allowed this. It is disgraceful.
The coaches came up with the half witted idea that he didn't need to get fit because he could just crash packs and be a power fwd.
This was a crazy idea.
The coaches should be ashamed.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:The reason Paddy lacks confidence is simple.
He isn't AFL fit.
He has been allowed to float through four years in the system without being fit.
The coaches came up with the half witted idea that he didn't need to get fit because he could just crash packs and be a power fwd.
This was a crazy idea.
Give em all the arse, St Kilda style?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

He isn't AFL fit.
This was a crazy idea.
How the hell do you know what the coaches came up with Con?

I know you want and expect the kid to be super AFL fit, but how much of what we see is due to his diabetes issues and how much is due to your theory that the coaches decided to create a Pluggenstein?

There's probably heaps of things the club could do better than they currently are but let's not just make stuff up.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Richo mentioned in a presser, Dr. S, that Paddy's skin folds have never gone below 60. Most on AFL lists are in the low 40's. Paddy's physical condition after 4 years in the system is bewildering as it is inexcusable. Doesn't the club have access to the best in terms of diet, excercise, endocrinology, psychology etc.? It does raise a disturbing question about how Paddy is managed, as well as how he responds and follows instructions.

TMBK has now thrown flathead and the fitness staff under the media bus in relation to Paddy. I fear he knows there's bad news coming and he's doing a Pontius Pilate. Despite his cliched mumblings of taking responsibility, it would appear he is doing anything but. Freudian slips, or an attempt to not so subtly absolve himself of all blame as the media and the board apply the blowtorch?

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

It took David Armitage 5 years to achieve the match fitness required. There is no specific timeframe, some are aerobic beasts from the get go, Riewoldt/Bontempelli and some take vaying amounts of time.

Also, its not just about pre-seasons, match conditioning is also a critical factor. Paddy has only played 23 games and only about half of those full games. Hipgood in comparison already has 40 odd games under his belt despite been drafted later. Petracca drafted at the same time, missed his first year and yet has 40 odd consecutive games under his belt. His first 20 were not exactly stellar.

You can only assess Paddy as a second year player coming off an interrupted first season.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

I hear you LL, but what do you put the skin fold issue down to? That's something that after four years should have been corrected. That flows into everything else. Most players who return to preseason training with skin folds above 60 are put in the "fat group" and put on notice they won't get a game until they comply with the required standard. If you want to keep using diabetes as an excuse, I point to the example of my sister in law.

She is a footy fan, (Geelong) and she was diagnosed as a type 1 at the same age as Paddy, being nine. She is now 52 and a picture of fitness, the poster child of her endocrinologist. She was a professional dancer for 20 years before marrying a farmer and moving to the bush. She works very hard on the farm and like Paddy, has a pump attached that manages insulin levels. She only got that six years ago and it changed her life in terms of convenience. She is obsessive about what she eats and how she exercises.She knows what training hard is all about from both her former and current careers.

Her take on Paddy is this. She believes there are only two explanations for his lack of fitness and physical condition. First, his diabetes may be at the severe end of the scale, meaning he'll always struggle to reach an acceptable level of fitness for elite sport. She's watched him and said if he was the average man, he'd look fit and would be perceived as doing well, pump and all. He is however, not the average man. He's playing one of the most physically brutal sports in the world. The second reason is that he may just not be dedicated enough. Given what's at his disposal via the club, she said he should, by now, if he was doing everything he was told be in much better shape. She thinks it's the former, unfortunately, meaning he'll get to a certain point and no further.

I asked her about what she and her fanatical husband and fellow cat thought of Paddy going to Geelong. Both gave it a big thumbs down, although she rubbed it in by saying if he has any hope of having a decent career, leaving the saints for a "better" club was his only hope. Gee I hate those arrogant Geelong supporters. They do respect us even if they hated us. Know they're just back to laughing and eye rolling.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Drake Huggins wrote:I hear you LL, but what do you put the skin fold issue down to? That's something that after four years should have been corrected. That flows into everything else. Most players who return to preseason training with skin folds above 60 are put in the "fat group" and put on notice they won't get a game until they comply with the required standard. If you want to keep using diabetes as an excuse, I point to the example of my sister in law.

She is a footy fan, (Geelong) and she was diagnosed as a type 1 at the same age as Paddy, being nine. She is now 52 and a picture of fitness, the poster child of her endocrinologist. She was a professional dancer for 20 years before marrying a farmer and moving to the bush. She works very hard on the farm and like Paddy, has a pump attached that manages insulin levels. She only got that six years ago and it changed her life in terms of convenience. She is obsessive about what she eats and how she exercises.She knows what training hard is all about from both her former and current careers.

Her take on Paddy is this. She believes there are only two explanations for his lack of fitness and physical condition. First, his diabetes may be at the severe end of the scale, meaning he'll always struggle to reach an acceptable level of fitness for elite sport. She's watched him and said if he was the average man, he'd look fit and would be perceived as doing well, pump and all. He is however, not the average man. He's playing one of the most physically brutal sports in the world. The second reason is that he may just not be dedicated enough. Given what's at his disposal via the club, she said he should, by now, if he was doing everything he was told be in much better shape. She thinks it's the former, unfortunately, meaning he'll get to a certain point and no further.

I asked her about what she and her fanatical husband and fellow cat thought of Paddy going to Geelong. Both gave it a big thumbs down, although she rubbed it in by saying if he has any hope of having a decent career, leaving the saints for a "better" club was his only hope. Gee I hate those arrogant Geelong supporters. They do respect us even if they hated us. Know they're just back to laughing and eye rolling.
In regard to skin folds, I couldn't tell you, I have bugger all knowledge of sports science. Are his skinfolds a fact? I haven't heard anything about them.

I watched Paddy closely in the last JLT and there didn't appear to be any obvious fitness issues, he worked really hard, got it about 20 times (really good for a big forward) and didn't appear anymore fatigued than all the other players (I was standing next to the benches).

To me it looks like his issue in the first couple of games has been confidence, not helped by the poor delivery into our forward 50. He really appears to be overthinking everytime he approaches a contest and not playing instinctively. Just look at some of his highlights from 2016, the difference is glaring.

P.S. I know its different times, but Paddy is as slender as a supermodel in comparison to Plugger's playing weight.

spert
Saintsational Legend

The loss last Friday wasn't Paddy's doing- his mates up the field were shocking. Put the microscope on Ross, Steele, Stevens, Armo -those four looked like they were having trouble getting out of their own way in contests ..and that's a big part of our midfield.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

He isn't AFL fit.
This was a crazy idea.

Unless you have heard from the coaches themselves, ypu wpuld not know that

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:It took David Armitage 5 years to achieve the match fitness required. There is no specific timeframe, some are aerobic beasts from the get go, Riewoldt/Bontempelli and some take vaying amounts of time.

Also, its not just about pre-seasons, match conditioning is also a critical factor. Paddy has only played 23 games and only about half of those full games. Hipgood in comparison already has 40 odd games under his belt despite been drafted later. Petracca drafted at the same time, missed his first year and yet has 40 odd consecutive games under his belt. His first 20 were not exactly stellar.

You can only assess Paddy as a second year player coming off an interrupted first season.
Fair point.

If I can add, at the end of last year, probably around the round 20 mark I watched Paddy training with Gilbert. I reckon he would have been 2-5 kgs lighter than he is right now. And he was moving like a freaking racehorse. Basic drills, but he was doing multi 100m leading sprints and he was killing it. He looked much, much fitter. Perhaps he needs to load differently for actual matches... I dunno.

He rolled an ankle a couple of weeks before the season so there is a fair chance that if he has to take any sort of forced layoff, he will just put on weight without even looking at food. Give him some more weeks.

I dunno.. . I am far from the rosy glasses brigade but I reckon if we can keep him on the park for just a few more games we will start seeing something. Before his last concussion I thought he was really getting close to a breakout.

I cant call it a bust yet. Too soon.

congorozides
Club Player

saintly wrote:
He isn't AFL fit.
This was a crazy idea.

Unless you have heard from the coaches themselves, ypu wpuld not know that
Oh I love this argument.

Do you have to know Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong personally to know the moon exists?

It is plain obvious McCartin isnt AFL level fit.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Paddy has a body shape like Lance Whitnall. He’s in terrible shape, rigs putrid if you ask me.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

If things don't improve I think richardson should do the right and honourable thing and walk thereby not stuffing us up financially. If he is half as decent as some people are saying then resigning would be best for everyone.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:I hear you LL, but what do you put the skin fold issue down to? That's something that after four years should have been corrected. That flows into everything else. Most players who return to preseason training with skin folds above 60 are put in the "fat group" and put on notice they won't get a game until they comply with the required standard. If you want to keep using diabetes as an excuse, I point to the example of my sister in law.

Remind your arrogant and smarmy friends that they aren’t Geelong.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.