Changes for next week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Changes for next week

Granted have not seen any of reserves games ( sandy) and have read the papers, but there will need to be some changes (but cant make too many)

McCartin likely to get a week's holiday
Longer injured

In: Weller Out Long
In: Hickey Out: Longer Inj
In: Battle Out: McCartin
In Dunstan Out: Stevens

Went with Hickey rather than Marshall as don't want kid destroyed by Jacobs.
Others are really like for like. Gilbert could come in for McCartin and second ruck with Bruce and membery as only big forwards

Pressure on Sinclair, Newness and Roberton
Rice and White need to be given games soon or we could end up with another Tom Lynch scenario

Forget names and reputations - you perform you play.

portosaint
Club Player

Re: Changes for next week

Dunny for Koby, Hickey for Longer, and White to replace either Webster or Newnes... I'm not sure whose boot i fear most these days.

Paddy must play. He needs continuity. We need him to get some continuity to make a proper assessment. Statistically he played a better game than Members with 20% less TOG. Horrible day to judge our forwards.

Long is lucky. i don't think we have much else to offer at the moment unfortunately

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Stevens, Newnes, Brown, Armo are wasting development time.
If the coach thinks he is a chance for top 4 and wants to play a mature side every week he really is out of touch with reality.

I'd rather see games in White, Dunstan, Logan etc.

Savage is also grossly over rated on here. His decision making is deplorable. List clogger.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 31 Mar 2018 1:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Hickey has done nothing for 18 months, nothing at any level, would be better rucking Lonie, seriously, nothing in 18 months, Freeman has done more!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
older saint
SS Life Member

portosaint wrote:Dunny for Koby, Hickey for Longer, and White to replace either Webster or Newnes... I'm not sure whose boot i fear most these days.

Paddy must play. He needs continuity. We need him to get some continuity to make a proper assessment. Statistically he played a better game than Members with 20% less TOG. Horrible day to judge our forwards.

Long is lucky. i don't think we have much else to offer at the moment unfortunately
think McCatin gets a week suspension otherwise agree he needs to play for reasons you stated

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:Hickey has done nothing for 18 months, nothing at any level, would be better rucking Lonie, seriously, nothing in 18 months, Freeman has done more!!!!!
Hear what you're saying but the centre clearances have been the issue, Billy's injured, and although Marshall must be a chance, we risk him getting monstered against Adelaide in his first senior game if he is our only ruckman. If Longer can play unhindered leave him in for 2-3 more games for sure to give him a fair chance to seize the #1 ruck role, but if he's injured we can't go into next week with any unnnecessary injury clouds hovering over any players. My spider senses tell me Gilbert may be rushed straight back in against the Crows due to his physicality. Saturday night's game will be an absolute war of attrition I think.

I would like us to play two ruckmen in this one. Hickey has played at senior level, has some experience and can at least take a mark in the backline and float forward and kick a goal when Marshall rucks. He has done it before and if he wants an AFL career he needs to take any chance he can get. His problem is he is injury prone and he may not get that chance anyway if the selectors do go solely with Marshall, which is possible, but which in my opinion would be a mistake for this one.

The Crows are going to try to blow us out of the water in the first ten-fifteen minutes of the first quarter and the players at the coalface need to be ready for it and able to physically and emotionally deal with it. Richo hinted on SEN that the players are going to physically challenge their opponents next week so read into that what you will.

Paddy has been cleared by the MRO and should be given another chance. I know that may not be a popular opinion but we have to put his deficiencies down to player management/coaching. I'm sorry but that's what I honestly think. He should be allowed at least a month to build his confidence. Let's give him the next 3 games to find his mojo and see how he goes.

I like Long as well for next week. Reckon if he gets a feel for the top level he'll grow to like it and could become a good goal sneak for us.

Dunstan, Weller, Connellan and Marshall apparently all did well against Coburg according to match reports, so some of them should be given an opportunity. Funnily enough Lonie and Battle did alright too apparently, so maybe Battle could come in if one of our tall forwards gets dropped (which I don't think should happen - yet.)

So we could be looking at Hickey and Lonie coming in potentially, or Marshall and Battle if the selectors want to reward the effort of the younger guys. I think we need to go with experience and bigger bodies if the Saints go to all out war for redemption against the Crows, which considering their two day pass was revoked by coach and captain is a definite possibility.

Be an interesting night at the selection table next week, that's for sure.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Furphy
Club Player

Hard pressed to think of more than five players who deserve a senior game next week after yesterday's fiasco, trouble is who do we replace them with?

DJ Higgins
Club Player

We are going to be on the end of a flogging from Adelaide next week and as punishment I would make them all play again.

portosaint
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote:We are going to be on the end of a flogging from Adelaide next week and as punishment I would make them all play again.
There is some merit in this :lol:

Cordz2
Club Player

Sinclair is badly out of form - never seen him fumble so much

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Dunstan for either Steele or Stevens
Gilbert for Sinclair
Hickey for Longer
Weller for Long

Saintly66
Club Player

Would keep Long in, needs a few games in a row.
Hickey for longer
Rice for Webster (he loved turning it over yesterday).
Would definitely keep savage in over Webster.
Newnes I’d leave out for a week or two thought he was ok but the last year or so I’ve noticed that isn’t the case wreaks of him thinking his s*** doesn’t stink either, take your pick who comes in.

felix
Club Player

We need Weller back to his intimidating physical best I think we have missed some mongrel.

stonecold
SS Life Member

felix wrote:We need Weller back to his intimidating physical best I think we have missed some mongrel.
Yes, bring Mav back, what do you think Con?????

25 touches and 5 goals against Coburg, brings form to the table!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Saint wagga
Club Player

Out: longer
Clark
Brown
Sinclair
Steele

In: hickey
Dunstan
Weller
Austin
Gilbert

saintbob
SS Life Member

Out
Armitage
Longer
Brown
Longer

In
Marshall
Coffield
Dunstan
Austin

spert
Saintsational Legend

We cant drop the coaching panel, but I would just drop the midfield and onball players..maybe except Steven- they turned to fairy floss when the game was there to win.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

If I could pick the team

Out: Longer, McCartin, Stevens, Webster
In: Hickey, Marshall, Dunstan, Weller

B: Roberton, Brown, Geary
HB: Savage, Carlisle, Newnes
C: Sinclair, Steele, Acres
HF: Weller, Marshall, Billings
F: Gresham, Bruce, Membrey

Foll: Hickey, Steven, Ross
Int: Dunstan, Long, Clark, Armitage

Brown only keeps his spot because Adelaide are one of the few teams we need him against.

The_President
Club Player

Gain nothing by dropping McCartin.

Have you seen the way we kick the footy? Would be tough for any forward. That chase down tackle he had in the last was awesome. It was just your stock standard chase down tackle. But the game was done, we were cooked & he isn’t known for doing it. But he did. He was still trying. I’ll be filthy if we drop him. Same as Long. If we drop Long for someone like Lonie we may as well sack Richo now.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote:Gain nothing by dropping McCartin.

Have you seen the way we kick the footy? Would be tough for any forward. That chase down tackle he had in the last was awesome. It was just your stock standard chase down tackle. But the game was done, we were cooked & he isn’t known for doing it. But he did. He was still trying. I’ll be filthy if we drop him. Same as Long. If we drop Long for someone like Lonie we may as well sack Richo now.
We could gain a taller, more mobile forward option who provides strong ruck support in Marshall.

portosaint
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:

We could gain a taller, more mobile forward option who provides strong ruck support in Marshall.
I'm still not sure why Paddy is the scapegoat. Stats wise, he actually played a better game than Membrey and spent 20% less time on the park. Bruce had a stinker too.

Point is, our forwards were served extremely bad on Friday. ALL OF THEM. Pretty harsh to single out the most vulnerable

portosaint
Club Player

+1

They actually have a go. Unlike about 15 others.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Say rule of thumb is 4 changes are all a team can manage, and assuming the Club never budgeted to beat a grand finalist this season not much to lose by making four unforced changes and at least giving the fans the novelty of seeing how some different players go - there may be revelations! Forced Change Hickey for Billy; out for poor performances and having reached limit of potential/physicality: Newnes, Sinclair, Brown, Stevens. In Dunstan (how was he ever excluded), Coffield, Gilbert, Austin. Steele, Roberton, Savage, Bruce and Armo on notice of being on shaky ground. As Mav, Rice, White, Marshall and Battle have probably earned games in the firsts. No more guaranteed tenure. Coaches to be given some hard but fair feedback on their effectiveness.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Yep, let’s continue to play Paddy to give him experience until what? Round 8? Round 10?

By then our season will be truly done and dusted!

Lack of second efforts and refusal to chase is a real worry.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
portosaint
Club Player

If thats your concern, why stop with Paddy? He had a few mates... Do they suffer the same fate??

Thats the problem. Some people want their cake and eat it too. What matters for one, doesn't for the other. And so on. Standards should be standards, regardless of name or draft number.

I have no idea if McCartin will make it, but at least we can afford him the same luxury as others. Members did not lay a tackle. Paddy laid 2. Should we omit Tim as well?? Oh of course not. His delivery was sub standard... Hence why he didnt perform. Get my point?

Huge double standards