bring back GT

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

asiu
Saintsational Legend

bring back GT

discuss

:)

at the very least , Barks may make a return appearance on our little cesspit of disallusionment

and at the other very least , GT's players played for him

and on the last very least , he is a St Kilda person

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Re: bring back GT

One week ban for baiting :lol:

I'm on board, bring back GT but only if Michael Rick also returns ... because Rix, Rox, Rux remember :oops:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Drake Huggins
Club Player

That plan's so crazy it might just work! We're on the same page asiu. I was thinking GT could be brought back in a role similar to Neil Balme. Not the coach but the King's hand type role. The one he should always have had. Watch this space!

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
asiu
Saintsational Legend

and :)

hey Teffers

(u know i luv ya)

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

GT hasn't Coached for 13 years!

Its not time to move on the Coach yet. However, we could use some of the swagger and self belief of GT's days.

GT used to post on this Forum, unfortunately some dickheads had be keyboard warriors and it didn't last long. It would have been great to hear GT's insights.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

GT's problem was also tactics (same as Richardson). The players played for him but he couldn't coach against the good coaches.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: we could use some of the swagger and self belief of GT's days.
That's for sure

judys

I agree, bring back Thommo. Their effort yesterday (or lack of it) was a disgrace! I have been a member since way back in the Moorabbin days and even though we couldn't win we at least had a dip! Yesterday was the most insipid display I have ever seen! I agree as well that Thommo is a Saints person and the players DID play for him!

asiu
Saintsational Legend

well , he could

but his 'support' crew didnt have the guts to back him in

catch us if u can ... was the game plan

'n we had the playing quality to execute it

but

the pencil pushers got involved
and played divide n conquer

instead of
get the right people around him

instead of losing three
we woulda won three

go the pencil pushers
thanx

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Aren’t we pretty much just playing a GT style gameplan anyway?

Admittedly, GT had much better cattle at his disposal but also admittedly, the players did seem to respond to him.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Not at a coaching capacity. I don't see why GT wouldn't be appreciated in another role at the club, however.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Sainternist wrote:Not at a coaching capacity. I don't see why GT wouldn't be appreciated in another role at the club, however.
President?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I really liked GT and would love to have him back in the club in a director of football department type capacity... te problem with the man however is that the consistent feedback just seemed to be that he didn't play that well with others or let them do their jobs properly.

I think he's the best coach we ever had in terms of building up a culture, self-belief etc. and he's the only one I've known who fully embraced the notion of making the team more than just a football club which was an idea years ahead of it's time and unfortunately has been embraced by others but not us.

It just doesn't seem like it would ultimately work however

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

April fools.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
Sainternist wrote:Not at a coaching capacity. I don't see why GT wouldn't be appreciated in another role at the club, however.
President?
Better a top end of town respected figure as President.
Not sure 'good old peanut butter and jam sandwiches' fits the bill.

I will say the GT & RB era was an exciting time for supporters, pitty it could not hold together.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I am surprised his nail bed didn't catch on.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

As most on here would surely know, I'm as big a fan of GT as anyone, but bringing him back now as coach would make us a laughing stock (to the extent that we aren't already one). I thought he was a pretty decent coach, but the AFL world as a whole didn't rate him: largely, I think, because he hadn't come up as an assistant to several established coaches and that made him seem like a blow-in, and this was reinforced in their minds by his use of corporate-speak, eg: "leadership group" (now used all over the Australian sporting world). I can't see him coming back to the club in any capacity.

As I have said on another thread, I think Richo has a few more weeks to go unless things turn around quickly. If they don't, then the club should look seriously at Eade, who is currently languishing in the Eastern Football League and (if he's interested) would presumably be ready to start any time. In the early 2000s, the Bulldogs were in a similar sort of mess to us (albeit with probably a slightly more talented playing list) and he completely turned them around. I would think he still has it in him. He's an innovative coach who's prepared to try new things when old ones don't seem to be working. And I can't recall ever hearing him use the word "pleasing" (he's too grumpy a bugger to do that).

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Not as coach, but as Director of Football. He’d be sensational.

I look at Max Eberl at Borussia Monchengladbach - his strategic planning as DoF took them from crap to Champions League - and see that GT could do that for us.

The role that the AFL world has never grappled with...often confusing it with an semi-assistant coaching role or worse.

But then again, why would GT risk it? His business is absolutely flying.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Not as coach, but as Director of Football. He’d be sensational.

I look at Max Eberl at Borussia Monchengladbach - his strategic planning as DoF took them from crap to Champions League - and see that GT could do that for us.

The role that the AFL world has never grappled with...often confusing it with an semi-assistant coaching role or worse.

But then again, why would GT risk it? His business is absolutely flying.
Yeah but....when the mob circle with pitchforks, and stick Richo's head on a spike, Grant bows to the President's request that he take over in the interim...only until we find someone better, of course!

wtf, let's do it! :D

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
santazzi
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:
President?
GT president?...surly you tease LL! He will so enrage the AFL that they will make sure that our home base will be some small town in central China.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

What might have started out as an april fool's day joke might just sprout wings and fly.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

the days of 2002-2006 were my favourite as a saints fan. knew at end of 2002 we were heading for something - so close to winning our last four games, rather than falling away like most young teams, seeing them develop and a star like hamill happily come over to us, gehrig reinvent himself as the top full forward in the comp. and didn't we play such exciting, fast footy. injuries and a little bad luck cost us a flag or two. then lyon took over and the whole team dynamism was gone. ultimately achieved a little more, but what could have been?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

meher baba wrote:As most on here would surely know, I'm as big a fan of GT as anyone, but bringing him back now as coach would make us a laughing stock (to the extent that we aren't already one). I thought he was a pretty decent coach, but the AFL world as a whole didn't rate him: largely, I think, because he hadn't come up as an assistant to several established coaches and that made him seem like a blow-in, and this was reinforced in their minds by his use of corporate-speak, eg: "leadership group" (now used all over the Australian sporting world). I can't see him coming back to the club in any capacity.

As I have said on another thread, I think Richo has a few more weeks to go unless things turn around quickly. If they don't, then the club should look seriously at Eade, who is currently languishing in the Eastern Football League and (if he's interested) would presumably be ready to start any time. In the early 2000s, the Bulldogs were in a similar sort of mess to us (albeit with probably a slightly more talented playing list) and he completely turned them around. I would think he still has it in him. He's an innovative coach who's prepared to try new things when old ones don't seem to be working. And I can't recall ever hearing him use the word "pleasing" (he's too grumpy a bugger to do that).
Seriously, he failed dismally at Gold Coast. He's old school.

Its way too premature to write off Richo. However, as a hypothetical if we did need to go down that path, I'd make a short list of 2 and get one of them. Mark Thompson or Ross Lyon.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Just throw out the president and board, bring back Butterss and GT and give it all a second go with the benefit of hindsight.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Conan Ayres would be my choice. Not sure Port Melbourne would let him go.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"