Elshaug

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rocket
Club Player

Elshaug

This is the guy that needs to go. Has picked guys that can’t kick for 3-4 years. Needs to be accountable

Lethlean will work it out pretty quickly ....watch this space.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Elshaug

It all goes without saying. Elshaug is a lingerer. He's a constant reminder of how mightily we've struggled post-Lyon.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Rocket wrote:This is the guy that needs to go. Has picked guys that can’t kick for 3-4 years. Needs to be accountable

Lethlean will work it out pretty quickly ....watch this space.
Lethlean is a c**k.
The AFL just sent him to us because we are too weak to say no.

older saint
SS Life Member

My worry with this is that i remember watching a meeting they realised once they drafted McCartin. The video was taken pre draft and were discussing picks . I recall 2 questions being specifically asked 1 about the diabetes and also one about making sure we don't knee jerk react to the tom Boyd signing a month earlier. Elshaugh ( and BVains) were adamant the medical had signed off the diabetes and that without that diabetes and the Boyd pick Mc Cartin would still be one pick.

Well clearly the Dr's were wrong and clearly it was a knee jerk reaction to the Boyd scenario.

Too many safe pick options has resulted in many of the same type of players. By doing this he makes the decisions the majority does and therefore not out on a limb of higher risk higher reward. That is why we are where we are

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Trout never liked StKilda and year after year he proves it.

Will the Saints ever have a quality midfield ?
Drake Huggins
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:Trout never liked StKilda and year after year he proves it.
This. A Sheedy and Pagan acolyte and protege. Both held St.Kilda in absolute contempt. You can't tell me some of it didn't rub off.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
stonecold
SS Life Member

Drake Huggins wrote:
This. A Sheedy and Pagan acolyte and protege. Both held St.Kilda in absolute contempt. You can't tell me some of it didn't rub off.
Rubbish!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Drake Huggins wrote:
Elshaug is like one of those public servants (yes, I did spend 21 years at the Dept of Defence!!! so I know the type)
who doesn't give a F*** about the job, as long as he gets his paycheck.

If he hates the club as much as you say, he would obviously get a perverse thrill from destroying it from within,
like an evil little Mini-Me from an Austin Powers movie.
All the while, sniggering at how foolish the club is for trusting his judgement, playing right into his hands.

Can the club not see this cancerous little turd for what he is, and tie him up in a chaff bag and throw him into the bay?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Drake Huggins
Club Player

stonecold wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:
Rubbish!!!!!
Another stunning insight from common cold. How would you know? Stick to what you know best. Hitting the exclamation mark key!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Given that Elshaug pbly won’t get another job after this... it does reek of cutting off your nose to spite your face

Vazelos
Club Player

He got too cute with strategy than go for the best player with Mc cartin they are now paying well over 1 million for the best mid fielders only a few years later. I knew at the time it was a mistake to miss Petracca but I hope Paddy can become a decent target forward not expecting much more.
We definitely should be looking at the market place and identifying a top operator Elshaug is barely a pass mark.

Junior
Club Player

Gee I have seen some absolute rubbish threads over the years but this takes the cake.

So Elshuagh who is being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars is going to put his job on the line due to a hatred of the club.

Think you will find that the club supported him through health issues a few years back and he has a genuine affection for the club.

Is well known to be very professional , perhaps llike recruiters he makes mistakes.

He did not pick a Smokey with pick one he picked a player that was expected to go one or two.

If you want to question sections no issue, but what has been posted in this thread is laughable.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
Vazelos
Club Player

Petracca was well documented as the best player of that draft we went for player scarcity over best available talent due to the Boyd contract.
I know recruiters in the industry and Trout’s work is looked upon as barely a pass mark at this stage.
I do have hopes last year we secured good players but there have been a few misses.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The guys a cut lunch commando and you only need to listen to his analysis to know he’s as shallow as a bird bath
Time to go
We just have to demand excellence - really we are on notice that this mediocrity management can’t continue and it is so far
President, Coach, footy boss, recruitment, assistants etc ALL up for trade
Every player bar Billing’s, Acres, Carlisle, Ross plus 2 new boys drafted last year are for sale
I said at start of last season (was howled down) that this side needed to drink longer from the draft well for some A grade talent rather than papering over cracks to win games and just miss finals. Here we are 12 months on and now people are seeing where we are really at

“Yeah….nah””
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

No point rewriting history. we all know almost eveyone agreed Petracca was the best talent that year, but Paddy was top three and fitted our needs. We were desperate and tall forward values that year hit a bitcoin bubble - it was a mistake, but one most clubs in our situation would have made. our drafting stuff up was earlier - in the lyon and early watters era - trading picks for the likes of lee and waters, losing lynch, and drafting no one of merit.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
asiu
Saintsational Legend

"I said at start of last season (was howled down) that this side needed to drink longer from the draft well for some A grade talent rather than papering over cracks to win games and just miss finals. Here we are 12 months on and now people are seeing where we are "

yep

and i was in the same trench with ya

it was a bit of an obviousness

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote:Gee I have seen some absolute rubbish threads over the years but this takes the cake.

So Elshuagh who is being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars is going to put his job on the line due to a hatred of the club.

Think you will find that the club supported him through health issues a few years back and he has a genuine affection for the club.

Is well known to be very professional , perhaps llike recruiters he makes mistakes.

He did not pick a Smokey with pick one he picked a player that was expected to go one or two.

If you want to question sections no issue, but what has been posted in this thread is laughable.

If I had Elshuagh's job, Rioli, Darling ,The Bont and Petracca would all be wearing red white and black and we wouldn't be having this discussion about a lack of A graders.

They were all bleeding obvious selections afaic and a lot of SS supporters agreed with me at the relevant times.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Drake Huggins wrote:
stonecold wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:
Rubbish!!!!!
Another stunning insight from common cold. How would you know? Stick to what you know best. Hitting the exclamation mark key!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:
Thought it was a punctuation mark?????

Well according to you anyway!!!!!

Stick with what you know, corrupt politics and pigs!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Junior
Club Player

saynta wrote:
Junior wrote:Gee I have seen some absolute rubbish threads over the years but this takes the cake.

If I had Elshuagh's job, Rioli, Darling ,The Bont and Petracca would all be wearing red white and black and we wouldn't be having this discussion about a lack of A graders.

They were all bleeding obvious selections afaic and a lot of SS supporters agreed with me at the relevant times.
Should send in your resume, not defending his selections just the billshit hat he is doing it intentionally.

As a matter of interest the only definite one I see here was Darling. Are you referring to Daniel Rioli?

Petracca and the Bont At he time an argument could have been mounted for Billings and Paddy.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote:"I said at start of last season (was howled down) that this side needed to drink longer from the draft well for some A grade talent rather than papering over cracks to win games and just miss finals. Here we are 12 months on and now people are seeing where we are "

yep

and i was in the same trench with ya

it was a bit of an obviousness
You were too! Along with Firey we were all “Torn” but of course the Pollyanna knew better....

“Yeah….nah””
asiu
Saintsational Legend

what was more important than quality in our list
was the 'culture of winning' iirc

there's gotta be some word in the language that descibes that **** logic

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote:
saynta wrote:

Should send in your resume, not defending his selections just the billshit hat he is doing it intentionally.

As a matter of interest the only definite one I see here was Darling. Are you referring to Daniel Rioli?

Petracca and the Bont At he time an argument could have been mounted for Billings and Paddy.

Of course I was referring to Daniel. I thought we were certainties to draft him as all the experts had him falling to our selection. I was devastated when they passed on him and went for a ruckman.

My anger was only componded whe the first time Mcevoy went for a mark the ball bounced off his f****** forehead.

Look I'm not holding myself out to be an expert but blind Freddie would have drafted the 4 I mentioned on footy ability and smarts alone.

Of course i don't believe that Elshuage is screwing us on purpose. He is just not very good at his job.
Last edited by saynta on Mon 02 Apr 2018 10:27am, edited 1 time in total.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:
Sheedy and Pagan held every other club in comtempt. It comes with success.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Junior wrote:
saynta wrote:

Of course I was referring to Daniel. I thought we were certainties to draft him as all the experts had him falling to our selection. IA was devastated when they passed on him and went for a ruckman.

My anger was only componded whe the first time Mcevoy went for a mark the ball bounced off his f****** forehead.

Look I'm not holding myself out to be an expert but blind Freddie would have drafted the 4 I mentioned on footy ability and smarts alone.

Of course i don't believe that Elshuage is screwing us on purpose. He is just not very good at his job.
What has Rioli's selection got to do with Elshaugh and if you took Rioli would you have still selected Steven?

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Agreed, Saynta. I don't for a minute believe he's not trying his best. It's just his best is nowhere near good enough. He wouldn't cut his nose off to spite his face. My initial lack of respect comes from his behaviour I witnessed when I went to an Essendon pleasant Sunday morning at Windy Hill in early 1985. The numbers were limited and it was mainly players and close mates. No women bar the "entertainment". Imagine having that sort of turn today!

I got a ticket via Glen Hawker, as my ex wife was best friends with Glen's fiancé (they never made it to the altar) Needless to say, their guard was down. Having made the mistake of mentioning that I was a saints fan, Carey and Van der Haar proceeded to chop into me about it. The 1978 "animals" game was a particular focus. I witnessed, first hand, what Essendon's players thought of St.Kilda as a football club. Elshaug joined in the mocking, making some particularly personal comments about the players and the place in general. I'd thought he might have been a saints supporter as he was a Bentleigh resident. Due to the peculiar zoning laws, he ended up at Melbourne, then Essendon and later Collingwood. I remember Blight's contempt of St,Kilda throughout his career, even when he coached us. This smacks of something similar. If you don't respect the joint, can you ever be as committed as someone who does?

Sheedy wasn't there, but a few mentioned his hatred of St.Kilda stemmed from the late 60's when we were the only team tougher and dirtier than Richmond was. It's why he doesn't like Carlton either. Both let that sniper have it, targeting him at every opportunity. His hatred of the saints was part of Essendon's culture. Timid used to ring Sheedy for coaching advice from Him, openly ignoring his assistants, who were fully aware of what Timid was doing. Apparently Timid confided in his former mentor that the club was a shambles. Ironically, one of those assistants was Alistair Clarkson.

As for the people who claim he is highly regarded in the industry, I can assure you he isn't. Vazelos posted something similar. He is seen as a nice bloke, but that's all. Vazelos hinted that he'll be dumped at the end of the year. If that does happen, I doubt you'll see him in a senior recruiting role again. I know enough people in the recruiting game to know he's not rated very highly. He's had seven years. He's failed. We are not the envy of the competition in terms of recruiting or player development, as was our aim. In fact, the opposition sees us as failures. Elshaug will bob up somewhere. He is nothing if not a survivor. Over to you Peter Summers.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."