The reason we are heading back down.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: The reason we are heading back down.

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:Hard to argue with that, DH.

The way forward?

1. Acknowledge failure.

2. Clean out recruiting squad.

3. Make moves to replace coaching staff at year's end.

4. Aim for six picks in the top 20 of this year's superdraft.

5. Put everyone up for trade barring a handful.

6. Ask for more handouts from Gil.
And who outside the handful has any trade value? Lonie, Newnes...

Furphy
Club Player

oh when the wrote:The Club as a whole does not know how to be successful and everything we do reflects this.
Alex Jesaulenko said exactly that in 1980, following St.Kilda is like being in a real-life 'Groundhog Day'. I'm just waiting for the club to announce another 'five year plan' (it gets the critics off your back for four years)

Drake Huggins
Club Player

I forgot to mention our "leaders" pathetic response to the Murphy sledging incident. It was a typically spineless display from Finnis, Summers and TMBK. I know one player who couldn't believe our response was so weak. It did upset the playing group which took a couple of weeks to recover. He said that somehow it seemed we took responsibility for it, when Murphy started it by sledging Jake, then taunting him as he lay on the ground injured. He didn't know if Murphy spat on him, but that was the perception at the time. The truth is, if Murphy hadn't have gone whining to the press, no one, including his wife wouldn't have known a thing about it and it would've blown over.

The right thing to do would've been for Murphy to approach Geary, make his displeasure known about sledging Mrs. Murphy, then getting together after the game to sort it out. Problem solved. Again, we bent over and took it. Carlton was the initiator and then, like a bully losing a fight at school, went squealing to the headmaster. We just sat idly by and offered a mea culpa which was inappropriate and designed only to spare us a bit of negative press.

That incident said it all about the gutless incompetence of our rabble of an administration. A number of the players were disappointed to say the least. I can't think of any other club that would've responded so meekly. An extended, verbal middle finger to Carlscum would've been appropriate, as well as a public apology from Murphy for slandering our club.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
stonecold
SS Life Member

Drake Huggins wrote:I forgot to mention our "leaders" pathetic response to the Murphy sledging incident. It was a typically spineless display from Finnis, Summers and TMBK. I know one player who couldn't believe our response was so weak. It did upset the playing group which took a couple of weeks to recover. He said that somehow it seemed we took responsibility for it, when Murphy started it by sledging Jake, then taunting him as he lay on the ground injured. He didn't know if Murphy spat on him, but that was the perception at the time. The truth is, if Murphy hadn't have gone whining to the press, no one, including his wife wouldn't have known a thing about it and it would've blown over.

The right thing to do would've been for Murphy to approach Geary, make his displeasure known about sledging Mrs. Murphy, then getting together after the game to sort it out. Problem solved. Again, we bent over and took it. Carlton was the initiator and then, like a bully losing a fight at school, went squealing to the headmaster. We just sat idly by and offered a mea culpa which was inappropriate and designed only to spare us a bit of negative press.

That incident said it all about the gutless incompetence of our rabble of an administration. A number of the players were disappointed to say the least. I can't think of any other club that would've responded so meekly. An extended, verbal middle finger to Carlscum would've been appropriate, as well as a public apology from Murphy for slandering our club.
Constantly looking Backwards!!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:I forgot to mention our "leaders" pathetic response to the Murphy sledging incident. It was a typically spineless display from Finnis, Summers and TMBK. I know one player who couldn't believe our response was so weak. It did upset the playing group which took a couple of weeks to recover. He said that somehow it seemed we took responsibility for it, when Murphy started it by sledging Jake, then taunting him as he lay on the ground injured. He didn't know if Murphy spat on him, but that was the perception at the time. The truth is, if Murphy hadn't have gone whining to the press, no one, including his wife wouldn't have known a thing about it and it would've blown over.

Constantly looking Backwards!!!!!!
Yeah. Those knobs in schools and uni are just wasting their time studying history aren't they

If you don't analyse and learn from your past, you're destined to repeat the mistakes of the past. When did you ever hear of Michael Voss apologising to anyone? Did Hawthorn or Hodgy ever come out in the media and say sorry for our aggressive behaviour and unsociable footy?

Sanctorum
Club Player

As bad as the loss to North Melbourne was on "Bad Friday", we should remember that it was only Round 2, and remind ourselves that North have had the wood over the Saints for many years: we have only beaten them twice in the past 8 encounters since 2012. And as my practicing Christian daughter pointed out to me the other day: the Saints should be the last team to be playing on such a significant holy day - she reckoned they deserved to get slaughtered!

There is a lot of contention about Richo being the right man for the job, but we need to understand that changing coaches this early into the season is not going to happen. There's no doubt that if the team fails to turn things around quickly, and there are more insipid and limp thrashings in the next month, then the pressure on the head coach will increase significantly.

My main criticism of the Saints is that they don't have a very good track record in developing young talent, and this has been a weakness going back to the days of Thomas. Even the best Saint in the past 20 years, the venerated Nick Riewoldt, would have had his confidence in his goal kicking cured right from the start under the direction of a Sheedy, Matthews or Malthouse, and thus become a far more accomplished superstar.

Looking at the current list, St Kilda seems to me to take much longer than other teams to elevate the skills of the club's early draft picks: Armitage, Ross, Billings, Acres, Dunstan, McCartin, Long, not one of them have managed to make their mark in their first three years; the only exception I can think of is Gresham.

These are testing times for loyal Saints supporters, and after more than 60 years of experiencing the highs and (mainly) lows of this footy team, I am as disappointed as I have ever been in the way they capitulated against a team that has been tipped to earn the wooden spoon this year. But as they say: "hope springs eternal" so I'll wait and see how the next month unfolds before making further judgments.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Two points...
One on Paddy - i disagree regarding his work ethic... he chased and he presented all day. I’m not going to say anything to defend his kicking/marking part of the reason his failures stood out was because he was the only big forward that consistently got himself into a position to potentially create... thought his game was much better than Bruce’s to be honest and he was one goal away from being better than Membrey too.

Second point... whilst I agree that we are in a terrible place, IMO it’s a bad strategy to burn everything down and start again.

Compare this spot to where we were when the rebuild started... then we had a lot of players past it, or players not up to it. At the moment we have a team with a bunch of talented kids that are capable of good footy, many of which are under performing, have stagnated after promising starts or simply don’t get the opportunity due to the coaches preference for playing injured or underperforming seniors.

Steven
Gresh
Billings
Acres
Bruce
Carlisle
Membrey
Savage
Dunstan
White
Hunt
Coffield
Newnes
Roberton
Ross

That is a respectable starting point

Heck even guys like Sinclair, Stevens, Long, Webster have shown something.

Agree with wholesale changes but let’s not scorch the earth here.
Some of the admin have done a good job with our training base, finances, lack of scandal etc.

But yes absolutely the footy department needs a new look.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

The loss of Riewoldt is massive. It is going to take the club 5 years to recover from losing his leadership and his gigantic heart.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

What could Tony47 possibly say to put a positive slant on where the club is at the moment ?

supersaints
Club Player

I'll take the OP on in his bagging of Geary as Captain , ...

You should read a book that was a result of the most successful teams ever in sport.. the common theme was that they were led by a certain type of captain ... and Geary fits the mold almost perfectly the book would suggest that Geary is a better LEADER than Rooo!!!! . It may seem a strange thing to say but here's a little on the book review . The book is called "The Captain class" and was a result of a decade of research

"The secret to winning is not what you think it is.
It’s not the coach. It’s not the star.
It’s not chemistry. It’s not a strategy.
It’s something else entirely.

Fuelled by a lifetime of sports spectating, twenty years of reporting, and a decade of painstaking research,The Captain Class tells the surprising story of what makes teams exceptional.

As Walker dug more deeply, a pattern emerged: Each team had the same type of captain – a singular leader who drove it to sustained, historic periods of greatness.

The sixteen leaders who make up the Captain Class were never the most skilled, nor were they paragons of sportsmanship. They were often role players, allergic to the spotlight, and famously inarticulate. In short, they will challenge your assumptions of what inspired leadership looks like.
I suggest you read it before you tell how much you know about captaincy and great teams.

As quoted "Once we lost Roo, we lost our only decent leader. There is no logical or obvious successor. I mean, Riewoldt to Geary. Say it slowly to realise how much we're lacking in that area. If Geary was hit by a bus tomorrow, who would take over? Take your pick, but it's not obvious, but it wouldn't matter who it was at this stage.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Was very concerned when I saw Armo selected before Dunstan.

Armo missed most of last year and Dunstan finished the year well.

It was not only a safe choice and a fall back to the same old but what does it say about our development?
Tend to agree, but Armo was practically the only mid to try break North's stranglehold at clearances (a little too late) by bursting through and intercepting...it came off a couple times, but no-one was waiting outside to receive and the resultant disposal was that of someone who'd spent a good year out of footy. Has to be given a chance, surely? Stevens selection ahead of Dunstan was more questionable.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:Only McCartin out there today and he was disgraceful again. Dropped marks, fumbles, missed easy set shots and a complete inability or desire to chase. Did anyone see how pathetic his second efforts and chasing were? Team mates would've been disheartened at his apparent lack of effort. Maybe he just can't run, or he was having a hyper / hypoglycaemic episode. Can't kick, can't mark, can't run, can't chase. Our genius recruiter told TMBK, Paddy would be a great player for us for 12 years. That estimate is now down to eight years and falling by the week. You'd think a gun recruiter might have noticed the faults I outlined before. Anyone watching his U/18 highlights would've known he was nowhere near worth the number one pick.
I was just yelling at Paddy and his lack of second effort, when he proceeded to drop a mark, get up, and chase down a North defender...so he's not quite as bad as you're stating. Fact is, if we'd picked Petracca, McCartin would have been #2...I just wish we'd had the luxury of 2 picks.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Round 22 2017, three games (and a break) before Friday's debacle Saints beat North by 49 points. In the Saints winning team were Dunstan, Reiwoldt (last home game), Weller and Gilbert. Replacements Friday were Armo, McCartin, Long and Hyphen Clark. After round 22 North's coach observed ""They (the Saints) completely turned the game around inside the contest after quarter-time and we were very reactive in the stoppages after that, and they really got on top of us and then outworked us from there," ".....St Kilda were very clean and very crisp with their movement away from the contest, and I thought that was the most significant difference between the sides. "I thought the St Kilda midfield overall got right on top through weight of numbers … ." So possibly a mistake to not pick Dunstan and in hindsight with Billy's injury, Sam G. Does the group really need something special to get them up and going e.g. Maddie's match, Roo's last home game. Seems North coaches learned lessons and Saints coaches sat pat, or is that Paddy. I hope a week is a long time in footy and the boys get inspired by next weekend.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I dont know if we should be potting our administration or current board. Finnis & Summer have us back at Moorabbin with excelkent facilities. I really do think Seaford hsf become an anchor around the clubs neck with attempting to attract quality players and staff.

I never thought extending Richo's contract last year was a good idea, but to there defence they deal with Richo regularly and probably didnt appreciate his obvious shortcomings. At that time the future was looking reasonably bright and stable under Richo hence the contract extension. It may turn out a master stroke, but at present its looking quite smelly.

I agree with peoples opinion of Elshsugh's earlier drafting it was very ordinary at best. He always appeared quite satisfied with his choices but its obvious early on that he was placing far too much weight in the quality of the individual and there family rather than their football. I think time and lots of mistakes he has finalky got the selection formula somewhere near right - so now is not the time to move him on.

So now we are at Moorabbin lets see if Finnis & Summers can improve our football dept and playing personnel as it needs they both need major overhauls.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I dont know if we should be potting our administration or current board. Finnis & Summer have us back at Moorabbin with excelkent facilities. I really do think Seaford hsf become an anchor around the clubs neck with attempting to attract quality players and staff.

I never thought extending Richo's contract last year was a good idea, but to there defence they deal with Richo regularly and probably didnt appreciate his obvious shortcomings. At that time the future was looking reasonably bright and stable under Richo hence the contract extension. It may turn out a master stroke, but at present its looking quite smelly.

I agree with peoples opinion of Elshsugh's earlier drafting it was very ordinary at best. He always appeared quite satisfied with his choices but its obvious early on that he was placing far too much weight in the quality of the individual and there family rather than their football. I think time and lots of mistakes he has finalky got the selection formula somewhere near right - so now is not the time to move him on.

So now we are at Moorabbin lets see if Finnis & Summers can improve our football dept and playing personnel as it needs they both need major overhauls.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I dont know if we should be potting our administration or current board. Finnis & Summer have us back at Moorabbin with excellent facilities. I really do think Seaford had become an anchor around the clubs neck with attempting to attract quality players and staff.

I never thought extending Richo's contract last year was a good idea. To there defence the deal with Richo was at that time was looking reasonably bright and stable under him. It may turn out a master stroke, but at present its looking quite smelly.

I agree with peoples opinion of Elshsugh's earlier drafting it was very ordinary at best. He always appeared quite satisfied with his choices but its obvious early on that he was placing far too much weight in the quality of the individual and their family rather than their football. I think over time and lots of mistakes he has finally got the selection formula somewhere near right - so now is not the time to move him on.

Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Sun 01 Apr 2018 7:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vazelos
Club Player

I dont agree with some of the off field work has been excellent:

First class facility at Moorabbin
Etihad Stadium deal secured
Increased memberships in a finals drought period
Increased sponsorship in a finals drought period.

There has been investment into the football department.

That is a lot of good work and you will find they will now tackle the debt and work that down.

The obvious issue is the 2018-20 Premiership Window we are not on course with that and that impacts everything because the honeymoon period of hope is over supporters are expecting results.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Murphy is a gutless, whiney cry-baby. Not even a man.
He proved to his wife and the whole country that he is a scared little boy,
and throwing his wife under the freakin bus to take the focus off him,
could be grounds for marriage annulment. Gutless. Pathetic.
NOT A MAN

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:I did post why a number of weeks ago and was howled down by the usual blue sky specialists. At the time I said the team was playing as though there was a malaise affecting the whole club. It coincided with Roo being cooked and injured in the last seven games of last year. Despite the protestations of some, his loss is incalculable for its effect on the team. Trying to replace him is like trying to fill in the Grand Canyon with a bucket and spade.

Even though we won last week, anyone could see it was quite an average performance against a developing team that is still miles off being consistently competitive. Having watched Adelaide and Richmond last night, I shudder to think what either of those sides would've done to us today. We probably would've got Tonned. Can you imagine roo out there today, putting up with that insipid effort?

Having lost roo, the problem was compounded by the loss of the one competent administrator we had, being Ameet Bains. That was a bigger disaster than has been acknowledged. No wonder other clubs wanted him. He was far from perfect but the others around him made him look like a genius. At least he left us a war chest, which we can now spend on the existing list. Goodness knows no one wanted to come to us after last season. I doubt they'll come this year, either.

The answer to the question is simple. I'll leave it to the great, late Allan Jeans. I can give it to you in 25 words or less. "Clubs with s*** administrations don't win premierships. Only well run clubs do, laddie." Unfortunately, we have a long history in the former category only. The tradition continues at Moorabbin. The last and only time this club had a decent, competent and stable administration was under the men I take my moniker from. Huggins and Drake. It's no coincidence we were a regular finalist, played in three GFs and won our only flag. Looks like Yabby was right.

There is a stench of mediocrity about the place that starts at the very top and goes all the way through. Don't be in any doubt that Finnis and Lethlean are using us as a stepping stone in their careers, nothing more. Finnis covets the top job at HQ and took the job because he was told to by Gilligan. Lethlean is trying to rehabilitate his reputation so he can get a CEO job at club level or beyond the AFL.

The coach, whom I've supported until this preseason, when the ugly truth about his ability to coach a senior AFL club became obvious, is a study in mediocrity. A tough, but limited footballer, he brings those same limits to his coaching. The fact we have a captain cast in the image of Richo the player is hardly surprising. Barely worthy of a place in the side, he is incapable of inspiring, leading, or changing the course of a match. A GOP by definition. Hardly what you want as the leader. Imagine what Roo would've done today? I'm sure we wouldn't have capitulated as easily as we did.

The assistants? A motley collection of Clouseaux who have nothing in their CV's that inspires confidence. Playfair may be the only exception, but we have to wait and see on that one. We lost our best in Paul Hudson, in circumstances that suggest he and the coach didn't see eye to eye on a number of issues. Perhaps the Milky Bar Kid felt threatened. The rest have damned themselves with their dismal records in terms of development and performance. We're clearly going backwards. They've all been there for a number of years. I believe the club has mistaken stagnation for stability. The extension for TMBK last year was at best puzzling and at worst, incompetent. We'll be paying for that for a while. It also sends a message that results don't matter as much as the much prized "stability".

Once we lost Roo, we lost our only decent leader. There is no logical or obvious successor. I mean, Riewoldt to Geary. Say it slowly to realise how much we're lacking in that area. If Geary was hit by a bus tomorrow, who would take over? Take your pick, but it's not obvious, but it wouldn't matter who it was at this stage.

Then there's my favourite bugbear, the terrible recruiting in the past six years since you know who took over. Apart from the appalling howler with McCartin, there is also the fact that the 2012 and 2014 drafts are now write offs. That's two entire drafts when your building, with the advantage of numerous early picks. We saw the fruits of the flathead's efforts today. 2012, he gave us Lee, Hickey, Wright, White, Murdoch, Saunders and Trent Dennis Lane. 2014, McCartin, Goddard, McKenzie and Lonie. Outstanding.

Only McCartin out there today and he was disgraceful again. Dropped marks, fumbles, missed easy set shots and a complete inability or desire to chase. Did anyone see how pathetic his second efforts and chasing were? Team mates would've been disheartened at his apparent lack of effort. Maybe he just can't run, or he was having a hyper / hypoglycaemic episode. Can't kick, can't mark, can't run, can't chase. Our genius recruiter told TMBK, Paddy would be a great player for us for 12 years. That estimate is now down to eight years and falling by the week. You'd think a gun recruiter might have noticed the faults I outlined before. Anyone watching his U/18 highlights would've known he was nowhere near worth the number one pick.

At this stage, it would be reasonable to expect at least five of the eleven I mentioned should by now be regular, consistent senior players in the vital 50-100 games played bracket. The foundation of our rise. Remember, the plan stated that by 2018 we would be the envy of the competition in terms of recruiting and player development. Instead we are a laughing stock after today. The plan is done. A flag by 2020? As Daryl Kerrigan would say, "Tell 'em they're dreamin'."

Now the flathead has appointed the work experience kid as his successor. Fantastic. At least he's clever enough to appoint someone under him who can't possibly get his job. Learnt that from Sheedy, no doubt. I'm sure you'll be comforted by the thought he'll be up against the likes of Kinnear Beatson, Stephen Wells, Simon Lloyd, Graham Wright, et al.

Some have suggested I have a personal beef with the flathead. I don't. I'm only going on his record of consistent failure in most positions he's held since his retirement from playing. No training, no qualifications, no aptitude for the job. His appointment was a job for the boy type. Typical saints. Buy what you can afford, not what you need. That's my beef, as the recruiting and list management are now the most important jobs in the club, after the head coach. TMBK has every right to be disappointed by what he's been handed. I do feel some sympathy for him.

In conclusion we have the worst debt of any Victorian club and the lowest membership. So the master plan has failed dismally on all fronts. At the risk of telling you so, but I did warn you all as to what was coming. Our incompetence has finally caught us. It appears my old idol the Yabbster was right. I can hear him spinning in his grave.
Huggins and Drake were administrators at the club for a nearly a decade before our only premiership and 14 and 23 years after it. They oversaw a 7 year period of success in which we played in 3 Grand finals and won one by a point. The other 2 were very dissapointing. If you want to attribute this to Drake and Huggins and great administration and provide a loose quote from Jeans as proof then go ahead. But based on both their track records for success, our current administration need to hit within 3 years and then have another 15 to 24 to be on even ground in terms of longevity.
Im calling your rhetoric - bulls***.
Last edited by CQ SAINT on Mon 02 Apr 2018 1:12am, edited 2 times in total.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

degruch wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:Only McCartin out there today and he was disgraceful again. Dropped marks, fumbles, missed easy set shots and a complete inability or desire to chase. Did anyone see how pathetic his second efforts and chasing were? Team mates would've been disheartened at his apparent lack of effort. Maybe he just can't run, or he was having a hyper / hypoglycaemic episode. Can't kick, can't mark, can't run, can't chase. Our genius recruiter told TMBK, Paddy would be a great player for us for 12 years. That estimate is now down to eight years and falling by the week. You'd think a gun recruiter might have noticed the faults I outlined before. Anyone watching his U/18 highlights would've known he was nowhere near worth the number one pick.
I was just yelling at Paddy and his lack of second effort, when he proceeded to drop a mark, get up, and chase down a North defender...so he's not quite as bad as you're stating. Fact is, if we'd picked Petracca, McCartin would have been #2...I just wish we'd had the luxury of 2 picks.
That would be one, I concede degruch. How many times did I see him half heartedly jog after an opponent having lost the contest? Too many to not be a cause for concern. I reckon Roo would've given him an almighty rocket after several times he just went through the motions. Demoralising for fans, players and coaches. I'm not saying he's lazy and doesn't try. That you can fix. I'm saying he can't do the basics, which is far more worrying.

I just retread your post degruch, and noticed two things. Like me, you were yelling at him for a lack of second effort, so you do acknowledge that he is less than adequate in this area. That came because he dropped a mark, which he does quite a lot.
As for him going at number two, no he wouldn't have. Melbourne wanted midfielders so it would've been Petracca and then Brayshaw.

I recall at the time that several clubs didn't even have him in the top ten. It would've been interesting to see where he would've gone if we hadn't picked him. The field in 2014 was wide open. The reason Paddy excited so much interest is that flathead nominated him a long way out from the draft. A bit like showing other poker players your cards. The media jumped on it and he was anointed favourite for number one.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
stonecold
SS Life Member

Drake Huggins wrote:
degruch wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote: I recall at the time that several clubs didn't even have him in the top ten. It would've been interesting to see where he would've gone if we hadn't picked him. The field in 2014 was wide open. The reason Paddy excited so much interest is that flathead nominated him a long way out from the draft. A bit like showing other poker players your cards. The media jumped on it and he was anointed favourite for number one.
Garbage, absolute Rubbish, to say that is just bulls***, recall clubs saying wouldn't pick Paddy in the first 10, you write some dribble but that is bulls***, Full-Stop!!!!!!

21 years of Rounding Up Pigs will do that!!!!!

Dribble!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Drake Huggins
Club Player

Another marvellous contribution. Firstly, you don't know what I know. Secondly, this is the last time I'll respond to you as you lack the intelligence and common decency to have a reasonable argument. If you want to abuse me, send me a PM, but stop clogging the forum with your drivel. Didn't you read BFUSA's message?

In the end, you are right about one thing. I did get sick of rounding up shitman pig crooks, the garbage of society. There is no more satisfying feeling than protecting the good folk from the lowest scum our society produces. In the end I changed professions because it's best to stay away from negative, mentally ill losers who blame everyone else for their failed lives. You're on my FOE list. I'll be better for that. See you in the Victory Room. I have quite a few old mates who'd like to meet you and discuss your incredibly interesting posts on here.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

As a general rule, I give more credence to those say "drivel" rather than "dribble".

Drake Huggins
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:I did post why a number of weeks ago and was howled down by the usual blue sky specialists. At the time I said the team was playing as though there was a malaise affecting the whole club. It coincided with Roo being cooked and injured in the last seven games of last year. Despite the protestations of some, his loss is incalculable for its effect on the team. Trying to replace him is like trying to fill in the Grand Canyon with a bucket and spade.

Even though we won last week, anyone could see it was quite an average performance against a developing team that is still miles off being consistently competitive. Having watched Adelaide and Richmond last night, I shudder to think what either of those sides would've done to us today. We probably would've got Tonned. Can you imagine roo out there today, putting up with that insipid effort?

Having lost roo, the problem was compounded by the loss of the one competent administrator we had, being Ameet Bains. That was a bigger disaster than has been acknowledged. No wonder other clubs wanted him. He was far from perfect but the others around him made him look like a genius. At least he left us a war chest, which we can now spend on the existing list. Goodness knows no one wanted to come to us after last season. I doubt they'll come this year, either.

The answer to the question is simple. I'll leave it to the great, late Allan Jeans. I can give it to you in 25 words or less. "Clubs with s*** administrations don't win premierships. Only well run clubs do, laddie." Unfortunately, we have a long history in the former category only. The tradition continues at Moorabbin. The last and only time this club had a decent, competent and stable administration was under the men I take my moniker from. Huggins and Drake. It's no coincidence we were a regular finalist, played in three GFs and won our only flag. Looks like Yabby was right.

There is a stench of mediocrity about the place that starts at the very top and goes all the way through. Don't be in any doubt that Finnis and Lethlean are using us as a stepping stone in their careers, nothing more. Finnis covets the top job at HQ and took the job because he was told to by Gilligan. Lethlean is trying to rehabilitate his reputation so he can get a CEO job at club level or beyond the AFL.

The coach, whom I've supported until this preseason, when the ugly truth about his ability to coach a senior AFL club became obvious, is a study in mediocrity. A tough, but limited footballer, he brings those same limits to his coaching. The fact we have a captain cast in the image of Richo the player is hardly surprising. Barely worthy of a place in the side, he is incapable of inspiring, leading, or changing the course of a match. A GOP by definition. Hardly what you want as the leader. Imagine what Roo would've done today? I'm sure we wouldn't have capitulated as easily as we did.

The assistants? A motley collection of Clouseaux who have nothing in their CV's that inspires confidence. Playfair may be the only exception, but we have to wait and see on that one. We lost our best in Paul Hudson, in circumstances that suggest he and the coach didn't see eye to eye on a number of issues. Perhaps the Milky Bar Kid felt threatened. The rest have damned themselves with their dismal records in terms of development and performance. We're clearly going backwards. They've all been there for a number of years. I believe the club has mistaken stagnation for stability. The extension for TMBK last year was at best puzzling and at worst, incompetent. We'll be paying for that for a while. It also sends a message that results don't matter as much as the much prized "stability".

Once we lost Roo, we lost our only decent leader. There is no logical or obvious successor. I mean, Riewoldt to Geary. Say it slowly to realise how much we're lacking in that area. If Geary was hit by a bus tomorrow, who would take over? Take your pick, but it's not obvious, but it wouldn't matter who it was at this stage.

Then there's my favourite bugbear, the terrible recruiting in the past six years since you know who took over. Apart from the appalling howler with McCartin, there is also the fact that the 2012 and 2014 drafts are now write offs. That's two entire drafts when your building, with the advantage of numerous early picks. We saw the fruits of the flathead's efforts today. 2012, he gave us Lee, Hickey, Wright, White, Murdoch, Saunders and Trent Dennis Lane. 2014, McCartin, Goddard, McKenzie and Lonie. Outstanding.

Only McCartin out there today and he was disgraceful again. Dropped marks, fumbles, missed easy set shots and a complete inability or desire to chase. Did anyone see how pathetic his second efforts and chasing were? Team mates would've been disheartened at his apparent lack of effort. Maybe he just can't run, or he was having a hyper / hypoglycaemic episode. Can't kick, can't mark, can't run, can't chase. Our genius recruiter told TMBK, Paddy would be a great player for us for 12 years. That estimate is now down to eight years and falling by the week. You'd think a gun recruiter might have noticed the faults I outlined before. Anyone watching his U/18 highlights would've known he was nowhere near worth the number one pick.

At this stage, it would be reasonable to expect at least five of the eleven I mentioned should by now be regular, consistent senior players in the vital 50-100 games played bracket. The foundation of our rise. Remember, the plan stated that by 2018 we would be the envy of the competition in terms of recruiting and player development. Instead we are a laughing stock after today. The plan is done. A flag by 2020? As Daryl Kerrigan would say, "Tell 'em they're dreamin'."

Now the flathead has appointed the work experience kid as his successor. Fantastic. At least he's clever enough to appoint someone under him who can't possibly get his job. Learnt that from Sheedy, no doubt. I'm sure you'll be comforted by the thought he'll be up against the likes of Kinnear Beatson, Stephen Wells, Simon Lloyd, Graham Wright, et al.

Some have suggested I have a personal beef with the flathead. I don't. I'm only going on his record of consistent failure in most positions he's held since his retirement from playing. No training, no qualifications, no aptitude for the job. His appointment was a job for the boy type. Typical saints. Buy what you can afford, not what you need. That's my beef, as the recruiting and list management are now the most important jobs in the club, after the head coach. TMBK has every right to be disappointed by what he's been handed. I do feel some sympathy for him.

In conclusion we have the worst debt of any Victorian club and the lowest membership. So the master plan has failed dismally on all fronts. At the risk of telling you so, but I did warn you all as to what was coming. Our incompetence has finally caught us. It appears my old idol the Yabbster was right. I can hear him spinning in his grave.
Huggins and Drake were administrators at the club for a nearly a decade before our only premiership and 14 and 23 years after it. They oversaw a 7 year period of success in which we played in 3 Grand finals and won one by a point. The other 2 were very dissapointing. If you want to attribute this to Drake and Huggins and great administration and provide a loose quote from Jeans as proof then go ahead. But based on both their track records for success, our current administration need to hit within 3 years and then have another 15 to 24 to be on even ground in terms of longevity.
Im calling your rhetoric - bulls***.
What a predictable response Komrade. Why is it that lefties live in their own fantasy world, always ignoring facts and limply attacking those who shatter their illusions? Or is this just another one of your childish personal attacks? I'm flattered it takes me to pull you out of hiding. I was wondering when you would bob up. You must have finished reading your latest copy of Pravda.

Name another period of our club's tragic history when we've had more, or any success for the matter? Facts, Komrade, not rhetoric, which is all your belief system is based on. How do you explain the constant finals appearances, three GFs and a premiership. Not rhetoric, Komrade, but fact. If only we could replicate Drake, Huggins and Jeans' record now. No chance with this administration. Are you telling me the Yabbster was wrong about s*** administrations not winning premierships? That's rich, even for you.
What do you attribute our success from 1961-1976 to? I'm fascinated what you will throw up (pun intended). Good luck? It was great administration, coaching, recruiting and the bold move to Moorabbin amongst other things. This administration is doomed and threatens to take the club with it. Unlike all who spend their time navel gazing and fantasising about utopia, we don't have the luxury of giving this administration another decade to even up your imaginary and irrelevant ledger.

So, Komrade, I call you're rhetoric a nonsense that is unsupported by any credible evidence. In fact, it flies in the face of history and the facts. As usual. So, I hope when you next gaze into your mirror, through a torrent of your self congratulatory tears, you can remind yourself how morally, ethically and intellectually superior you are to the rest of us. You're just like that other fantasist, stonecold, except you're literate. The level of intelligence is about equal.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
spert
Saintsational Legend

I think we supporters' reaction to the loss to North last Friday was a case of (as the old song goes) "It aint what you do- it's the way that you do it". In other words, it's not the fact that we lost..it's how we lost.