WHAT IF I COULD CHOSE A COACH?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

David-Lee
Club Player

WHAT IF I COULD CHOSE A COACH?

Dreaming of a Gig: Assistants, Managers, Directors
1.Scott Camporeale: Carlton: what can I say? I like him.

2. John Barker - Carlton : did a fine job as interim and as much as it pains me to say is building a damn fine team.

3. Roberto Harverino- well the greatest of all time - I love the guy but can he coach? Pies suck- their mids are ok. Is he the guy in waiting? If its based on coaching performance so far...well he's been ok. Is that enough? He doesnt interview well and that might be his Achilles.

4.Scotty Burn: Eagles, Pies and Hawks...he's  been a bridesmaid a few times, does he have it? Not sure...But there should be no doubt the man can coach...will we give him a go? Should we?

5.Simon Llyod- Geelong director of coaching...would he be interested? I like his style and Scott said he was actually the one that manages the " teams daily doing". I would take a punt.

6. Allan McConnell- GWS Senior assit. He has been admin, on field, coaches box, strategist- players absolutely love the guy - they say hes the hardest man to please but the first to reach out his hand when you fail. Would he jump? I like him a lot. Surely we could get him a job.

7. Leigh Tudor- well he's wanted a crack at the top and as a mids coach is semi successful at North and was decent at Sydney. His name is starting to be whispered the last few job openings.

8. John Blakey: Sydney Director - been asst in maybe every position lol. Masterminded the best backline in recent history at Sydney and has been instrumental in developing not only players but assistants into leaders. Would he leave best friend Longmire behind for his second crack as a head coach ( 1 game at Brisbane)... nah. But I do think we should ask. He has been asked by others.

9. Matthew Nicks: Port: senior asst. Not a lot of chatter on him this year but he is higly regarded and word is Hinkley asked him to please ring him first when he is offered a head coaching role so he could congratulate...I dont like him, mostly because I'm a judgemental pretentious twat.
But that usually means he's a likely canidate for us and the players say he's brilliant.

10.Ben Rutten: Richmond Defense asst. I like him. Heard him discussing tackling theory and was blown the f@ck away. Very switched on. I think he's worth a shot.

11. Nick Davis: Sydney- as development guru he is very handy or is it the well oiled machine that just provides the impetus? Not likely but I dont think I've heard him as a candidate ever anywhere- anyone else hear?

12. Brett Kirk: Sydney- well he's a hippy. But his book- despite my fears was excellent. I listened to him discuss the role of fathers in a child life at an event and if one of the characteristics for head coach is intelligence and abilty to a communicate this the guy. He said if you arent winning check your mental game, look at the physical - refresh your self then risk everything getting as filthy and low as you have to whether its crawling or ripping heads off until you succeed ( not very Buddhist if you Kirky )...doesn't sound like a Alan Richardson positive or pleasing method.

14. Justin Longmuir: Pies Asst. : he was pivitol in roles at West Coast, did he think being a part of a coaching staff in Vic could hekp him to the top job? He wants it. I'm on the fence. I heard he doesnt interview too brilliant- he hired a business performance life coach whilst at Eagles but what exactly for?

This list goes on and on with Dean Solomon, Steven King, Adam Kingsley, Brendan Lade, and on. I reckon theres 30 blokes prepared even to coach not sure if they can win the big one but they all are capable.

My top 3:
1. John Baker
2. Matthew Nicks
3. Brett Kirk

Legends, Nags and Retirees

1. Neil Craig- does he have it still? If he does will he leave as development guru and either be our head coach or develop our guys like he is doing at Carlton? He coached Crows very well and stumbled at Demons.His win ratio of 52.5% would have been much better if his one year at Demons and a 1-10 record didnt happen.  Retired now but would lace up one more time? I would take him immediately.

2. Brenton Sanderson- did a job at Crows had a 56% win ratio which would place him almost 19% over our current coach.

3.Brett Ratten: Hawthorn, well he joined in 2012 he was part of the club's 2013, 2014 & 2015 premiership coaching panel.
His Carlton reign is interesting he did get them to the finals after years in the lower half...he did even get them to a top 5 finish with a finals win. He had a 50.4% win ratio as a head coach.
Was he actually a decent coach? Would Alastair hire a wanker and then keep him for years when he's know to be a ruthless task master? I'm willing but unsure.

4.Brenan McCarthy: Melbourne - even as a coach with 30.3 % win ratio overr 3 years at Bulldogs...he has won more than our coach. He's a decent development coach not confident on him at the top job.

5. Michael Voss- Port: he will bowl ya over for dead if you stood between him and a phone call for the job. Decent guy legend player.  Coaching Brisbane his 39.9% win ratio still trumps our nag. I like him but think he eas given the magic wand too early. He is groeing leaps at Port and think he will get a look in soon sonewhere in a few years. I say no but he says yes.

6.  Justin Leppitsch: asst at Richmond. Brought in after losing his job at Brisbane. He has a genuine ability to break down into steps a skill and teach it to forwards. Reiwoldt the Lesser said he learned more with him than any previous coach. Was it his fault Bears had 3 losing seasons and he finished with a 21% win ratio?  Nah but yes. No thanks.

7. Alistair Clarkson: Hawks legend - did a mini rebuild of the club mid season last year...this is what happens when you build depth. He's contracted until the end of 2019. Do we ride out the mediocre reign of the  Saints board, staff, coaches and players until 2020 and throw everything at Clarkson?

8. Paul Roos: He can revive dispirited teams- he proved it at Sydney and even Demons- thoigh some think he failed there bur they were pure s*** and whrn he left they were climbing with determination they hadn't had in a long time.

9.Rodney Eade- no. That is all. But yes hell yes to role in the organization.

10. Terry Wallace - so gone he's on the list to represent all the guys that the gane has passed.

Me dreaming:

11. Leigh Matthews - not a chance truly retired,but I'd have him now. I wish the board had the balls to ask.

12. Kevin Sheedy - again not a chance he's  happy where he's at but I would offer him anything he wants.

Theres more but me number old legend or nag thats realistic:

1. Michael Voss

Dreaming:

1. Neil Craig

Impossible:

1. Kevin Sheedy

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: WHAT IF I COULD CHOSE A COACH?

Peter Sumich.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
David-Lee
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:Peter Sumich.
Yes he's a contender but he has left the AFL and gotten a job - I think he might entertain a chat but not sure?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Good post Dave - your options are all well credentialed.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

I don't know the inner workings of the club - maybe the guys do like Richo - but it does not appear that they are playing FOR him or the Jumper

If Richo is liked - maybe we need to keep him as coach - but install a Director of Footy to 'help' him.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Darth Vader
Club Player

Bevo.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

David-Lee wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:Peter Sumich.
Yes he's a contender but he has left the AFL and gotten a job - I think he might entertain a chat but not sure?
He's desperate to coach at AFL and contrary to reports is very sharp

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
David-Lee
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote:I don't know the inner workings of the club - maybe the guys do like Richo - but it does not appear that they are playing FOR him or the Jumper

If Richo is liked - maybe we need to keep him as coach - but install a Director of Footy to 'help' him.

I'm willing to try anything! The club? Honestly, here's the rub. We don't have HR funds to resource a Director. But I'm sure we could find it. Throw everything at Neil Craig.
I dont know why we dont support our coaches. I know there is administration above Alan but we need a director of footy and Neil was available in 2015 but we shun the idea as far as I am aware.
The guy is such a damn legend in improving performance he was hired by England Rugby in Spring 2017 after stepping down from Blues to get their boys ready for the season run." As a consultant for England Rugby, Craig will primarily focus on the development of player leadership as well as the development of England’s coaches." http://www.englandrugby.com/news/craig- ... rformance/

If he would we need it. He did not dictate to Bolton how to coach the game but how to BE a coach and COACH the team. That's our issue. Any ass - even me- can do his job. Seriously- these players have been at it all their lives. No need to micro manage- put them in their positions amd say play. They know what to do. The sting here is does Alan know how to performance coach the player to get the best from them? Well he does. But it ( whatever his theory, style and method ) is not good enough or focused or exacting - I'm not sure.

Performance coaching in essence is a formula + counselling + mentoring

So you get the numbers on a players performance ( you can't coach without numbers) then it will reveal the weakness, set a goal to attain with the player that improves the number. Counselling is about looking at obstacles the player has in reaching the goal ( physical injury, need to increase strentgh, improve skill, mental health, irrational thinking, anxiety under pressure, personal relationships, etc) to whatever degree is required to bring health ( physio, gym work, psychologist, psychiatrist, etc) then overcome the obstacles. Mentoring says - hey, over here! I've done this follow me!

Hence a legendary performance coach like Neil.

Does anyone else besides me see this?

We will keep Richo because we over value stability ( read numbing mediocre) this was evident in his first year.

We must change now - I dont care about rocking the morale boat, taking on water or even sinking. Has anyone been watching our last two seasons?

I'm thrilled with unexpected wins but guess what? Everyteam gets them every season - its not a sign that we are improving.
Last edited by David-Lee on Sat 31 Mar 2018 10:26am, edited 1 time in total.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Leigh Tudor. Was a great forwards coach for us.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

David-Lee wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:I don't know the inner workings of the club - maybe the guys do like Richo - but it does not appear that they are playing FOR him or the Jumper

I'm willing to try anything! The club? Honestly, here's the rub. We don't have HR funds to resource a Director. But I'm sure we could find it. Throw everything at Neil Craig.
I dont know why we dont support our coaches. I know there is administration above Alan but we need a director of footy and Neil was available in 2015 but we shun the idea as far as I am aware.
The guy is such a damn legend in improving performamce he was hired by England Rugby in Spring 2017 after stepping down from Blues to get their boys ready for the season run." "As a consultant for England Rugby, Craig will primarily focus on the development of player leadership as well as the development of England’s coaches." http://www.englandrugby.com/news/craig- ... rformance/

If he would we need it. He did not dictate to Bolton how to coach the game but how to BE a coach and COACH the team. Thats our issue. Any ass - even me- can do his job. Seriously- these players have been at it all their lives. No need to micro manage- put them in their positions amd say play. They know what to do. The sting here is does Alan know how to performance coach the player to get the best from them? Well he does. But it ( whatever his theory, style and method ) is not good enough.

Hence a legendary performance coach like Neil.

Does anyone else besides me see this?

We will keep Richo because we over value stability ( read numbing mediocre) this was evident in his first year.

We must change now - I dont care about rocking the morale boat, taking on water or even sinking. Has anyone been watching our last two seasons?

I'm thrilled with unexpected wins but guess what? Everyteam gets them every season - its not a sign that we are improving.
I would give $5.00 per week to get someone in - there has to be others - lets get approval to employ a Director of Football - by the supporters - answerable to the supporters - lol!!!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

If we were looking for a new Coach, then surely it would have to be Mark Thompson?

David-Lee
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote:Leigh Tudor. Was a great forwards coach for us.
Fully agree I was quite shitty we didnt give him the leg up he wanted so he went elsewhere. Ask my wife I bitched for two weeks. We have never recovered from his loss- the forwards have no confidence, they don't gel - they seem rudderless. I mean what gives- they're in a pro sport and they know how to play. Mental stuff is ruining us because they don't have any self belief. This is bs - we need a kicking coach- NO! You think any of them cant kick? Serious? It's in the mind.

The Recruit
Club Player

Brett Ratten would be a good fit. Comes from a very successful era at hawks and actually cares when his team is playing. Had a great record at the blues considering their list.

Lenny Hayes midfield field coach.

Sack the rest

saint6709
Club Player

The Recruit wrote:Brett Ratten would be a good fit. Comes from a very successful era at hawks and actually cares when his team is playing. Had a great record at the blues considering their list.

Sack the rest
Why not just give Lenny the top job ?

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:
The Recruit wrote:Brett Ratten would be a good fit. Comes from a very successful era at hawks and actually cares when his team is playing. Had a great record at the blues considering their list.

Sack the rest
wtf would Lenny want the job?

If you are going to do the hypothetical crap, I would have Dustin Martin as (playing) coach, and Josh Kelly as (playing) assistant coach.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
The Recruit
Club Player

satchmo wrote:
saint6709 wrote:

Sack the rest
wtf would Lenny want the job?

If you are going to do the hypothetical crap, I would have Dustin Martin as (playing) coach, and Josh Kelly as (playing) assistant coach.
+1

David-Lee
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:If we were looking for a new Coach, then surely it would have to be Mark Thompson?
Ummm. I didn't list him due to his mental state and drug dependency ( I know he was in the clinic and getting help). Dont think anyone will touch him for a while...he lost his family he lost everything basically due to these two issues that were cloaked by clubs and others for 5+ years.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Get Hird, and bugger the flack that comes with it. He would be hungry as hell to get another gig.

sainters85
Club Player

didn't we pass on mark williams before we appointed richo?

David-Lee
Club Player

saint6709 wrote:

Sack the rest

Yep Love to Lenny all day but he's not ready...he's in that group a step down from the guys who have done or doing their level 4 AND have been proven to succeed in their roles overtime. That said...do you need to do the coach academy? Do you need to be an assistant for years? No way! I guarantee there are mind blowing gems at clubs who may never get the top job because they dont tick the boxes. I just didn't list everyone but I started to then ran out of mojo because it's realistic that only AFL coaches or VFL head coaches will get considered for the head coach.

My Lenny assessment would look like this:
GWS: After a stellar career Hayes worked in AFL HQ doing several projects including media and was rumoured to be offered an ongoing permanent role in media dept due to his communication acumen and natural ability to be liked. However, he chose a role offered by GWS in 2016 as Team Defense Coach, being elevated in 2017 to Assisstant Coach Midfield ( definitely a jump in responsibility and authority). However with GWS coaching structure every position is titled asst coach so a move up would only be director of coaching or head of development or the coveted NEAFL coach job.
However prising the job from fellow former teammate Adam Schneider wont be easy.

Mini Adam S assessment: Adam joined Beaumaris as seniors head coach in 2017 as Beaumaris jumped up to Division A in the VAFA premier division, they only had 3 wins but his mentoring impact did not go unnoticed and he was rewarded with the GWS NEAFL head coach job (side note: I did not include Adam in the list because he has pretty strongly stated his dream job is what he's doing, in his home state and isn't interested in moving his family around- would he jump for a crack? Maybe, but he is trying to build his own credentials as a development coach and a winner no doubt to improve long term prospects).

Mini note on Austinn Jones....the same for Aussie Jones who coached Narre Warren to two premierships, Gippsland Power in the TAC Cup, failed club Bendigo Gold in the VFL, senior coach lnterleague team Worksafe VCFL championships, director of coaching at Cora Lynn, assistant at Ellinbank and now head coach at Bunyip (where he lives) and District Football League (EDFL) interleague coach role that should come in 2019.
He's never gotten in AFL coaching and if he wants to be a head coach he will have to make that start but no indication of this happening.

So back to Lenny, he's not in the running yet but will be considered in years to come.
Last edited by David-Lee on Sat 31 Mar 2018 3:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

David-Lee
Club Player

Legends and Nags:

I also left out

Mark Williams because he said he would never go back to the AFL. Would he? Yes I think so. So heres a quick one:
Mark Williams: Assistant at Essendon then Port Head Coach where he was a premiership winner, 56% win ratio, sacked and eventually ending up at Richmond as an assistant. He was highly regarded by players as a mate, leader and developer of talent. Did his former pupil at Essendon and Port - now head coach, Dimma, fire him because Williams was part of the problem at Tigerland or because he feared his own demise and the likelyhood Williams could get his job?
To say Tigers won it all in 2018 due to assitant coaching changes is very far fetched. Probably exactly the opposite that due to the years of development by Williams they were capable of making the leap.
However Choco is in the VAFA managing across 20 teams and seemingly happy. We have to ask him to cone interview - but we wont.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Malcolm Blight or James Hird for me.

We couldn't do any worse.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
David-Lee
Club Player

Several PM's asking about recent retirees and all the guys I didnt list at every club. Struth! Mayve I will write a book.
Anyway, I will post 2 new topics:

The Newbies

The Other Guys

spert
Saintsational Legend

Time for the triumphant return of Watters!

lefty
Club Player

Bring back Gehrig, he'll fix the forward line woes and help Paddy :P