Longer - 1 paltry disposal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Longer - 1 paltry disposal

The_Dud wrote:Hickey’s best has shown to be much better than Longer’s, so I’d put my game time into him, he has much more of an upside than Longer. Don’t know too much about the younger guys, but again I’d rather see them given a chance, after all couldn’t be worse than Longer’s 1 kick and getting flogged in the tap outs every week.

And it is possible to critisise someone’s football ability without attacking them personally. I’m sure they’re all trying to do their best, and it’s not up to them whether they’re picked or not.

And watching the Cats v Hawks game right now, what I wouldn’t do to have McEvoy or even Stanley back in the team right now...
McEvoy and Stanley had potential when they were Saints and played some good games, but a good coach gets the best out of players no matter what level they are at. Clarkson and Scott have proven far better developers of players than the plodder we have in charge.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Yes, Hickey has got to come back into the team. Billy is nothing more than ballast for the team boat.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Yes, Hickey has got to come back into the team. Billy is nothing more than ballast for the team boat.

Funny watching Stanley v McEvoy rucking in their respective sides today. Reminded me that Goddard has only played half a game of football in how long? Is he back [playing at Sandy yet? If Hickey doesn't get an opportunity when Longer is injured somebody like Sydney will pick him up cheaply at the end of the year and then he'll develop into a very handy swing ruckman.

Same thing with McCartin. Would Paddy get a game at Geelong? You bet he would. It would end up like another Tom Lynch situation. We must get better at developing players.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
Sainternist wrote:Yes, Hickey has got to come back into the team. Billy is nothing more than ballast for the team boat.

Funny watching Stanley v McEvoy rucking in their respective sides today. Reminded me that Goddard has only played half a game of football in how long? Is he back [playing at Sandy yet? If Hickey doesn't get an opportunity when Longer is injured somebody like Sydney will pick him up cheaply at the end of the year and then he'll develop into a very handy swing ruckman.

Same thing with McCartin. Would Paddy get a game at Geelong? You bet he would. It would end up like another Tom Lynch situation. We must get better at developing players.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.
Why you said it, Samurai!

stonecold
SS Life Member

When was the last time Hickey showed Anything?????

f****** 18 months ago, but let's see how he goes if he gets the opportunity!!!!!

Despite what some Cowboy's on here think, I hope he goes well, cause if he is s*** again, he has been a list Clogger for almost 2 years and giving us nothing in that time!!!!!

Lots on here better hope he can 'Walk the Walk', cause many of you seem to remember him as Simon Madden!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:

f****** 18 months ago, but let's see how he goes if he gets the opportunity!!!!!

Despite what some Cowboy's on here think, I hope he goes well, cause if he is s*** again, he has been a list Clogger for almost 2 years and giving us nothing in that time!!!!!

Lots on here better hope he can 'Walk the Walk', cause many of you seem to remember him as Simon Madden!!!!!
You still rate Longer after his performances in the first two rounds of the season? He has been bloody awful. A drover's dog would have been more useful. Apparently Hickey played well for Sandy. It's a no-brainer, Stoney!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Depends. No way would Paddy get a game at Geelong with his current state of fitness. No way would they accept that.
They have also been drafting quality midfielders like Cockatoo, Parfitt, Fogarty and Kelly.
We are living in a fools paradise if we think we can prosper with bog average midfielders and unfit forwards.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:

Can I ask where your love for Longer and hatred for Hickey comes from?

They’ve played the same amount of seasons and about the same games, looking at the stats Longer has only kicked 4 goals in his career! That’s shocking to me, especially compared to Hickey’s 20.

Longer has NEVER averaged double figure disposals in any year, while Hickey has been in double figures every season. Longer’s best year (2017) he averaged 1 kick and 2 marks, while Hickey’s (2016) he averaged 5 kicks and 3 marks. Neither are amazing at ruckwork, but at least Hickey has the ability to be dangerous around the ground.

Hickey’s 2016 was very good and he was praised highly by many as a developing ruckman, he had performances in games that Longer could only dream of. What do you see in Longer that you think he is better investing time in than Hickey? I just don’t see it, to me the upside of Hickey is much higher than Longer.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Longer is the worst first choice Ruckman in the league.
Simple as that.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:
stonecold wrote:

You still rate Longer after his performances in the first two rounds of the season? He has been bloody awful. A drover's dog would have been more useful. Apparently Hickey played well for Sandy. It's a no-brainer, Stoney!
Yes, I still rate Billy, he had a good year last year, he provides much more than the uneducated eye on here see!!!!!

As I said, I hope Hickey can get back to some form (2016 form), hope he does, posters talk about list clogger's, well he is one of the biggest we have if you look at his last 18 months, simple!!!!!

Mind you, if he gets in, I do hope he does well!!!!!

No hatred, just think the game has passed him by!!!!!

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
stonecold wrote:

Yes, I still rate Billy, he had a good year last year, he provides much more than the uneducated eye on here see!!!!!

As I said, I hope Hickey can get back to some form (2016 form), hope he does, posters talk about list clogger's, well he is one of the biggest we have if you look at his last 18 months, simple!!!!!

No offense, but I think Billy needs to have a run at Sandy, at least until he proves himself as being worthy of being our #1 ruckman. Look at his stats for the last two games. His work rate right now simply isn't up to snuff.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:
stonecold wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
stonecold wrote:

No offense, but I think Billy needs to have a run at Sandy, at least until he proves himself as being worthy of being our #1 ruckman. Look at his stats for the last two games. His work rate right now simply isn't up to snuff.
None taken, Bill is clearly injured, has been for weeks!!!!!

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Hickey's had his fair share of injuries in the past 18 months. He is a far more skilful and mobile big man than Longer. Do people forget the two times Hickey beat Max Gawn? it seems so.

stonecold
SS Life Member

cwrcyn wrote:Hickey's had his fair share of injuries in the past 18 months. He is a far more skilful and mobile big man than Longer. Do people forget the two times Hickey beat Max Gawn? it seems so.
He beat Gawn once and Max was injured, as I said, let's hope he goes well, if he gets picked, not like the putrid effort he put up last time he was gifted an opportunity!!!!!

Go well!!!!!

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Two questions:
As you say 18 months out of senior form or preference and you expect him to be brilliant (well at least to Billy's last examples)
and
you "pulled the jumper" on many here would love to give you credit if you tell us you're an ex saints player

Seeya
stonecold
SS Life Member

sunsaint wrote:Two questions:
As you say 18 months out of senior form or preference and you expect him to be brilliant (well at least to Billy's last examples)
and
you "pulled the jumper" on many here would love to give you credit if you tell us you're an ex saints player
I expect him to compete,(physically), that's what he hasn't given ever, a physical contest!!!!!

I'm not here for Credit, thanks!!!!!

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:

f****** 18 months ago,
You keep saying it but it’s just not true. Hickey’s game against the Eagles last year was better than any game that Longer has ever played.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
stonecold
SS Life Member

kosifantutti wrote:
stonecold wrote:

f****** 18 months ago,
You keep saying it but it’s just not true. Hickey’s game against the Eagles last year was better than any game that Longer has ever played.
Rubbish, you slip down to training and ask the mids!!!!!

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I did, they said it was better than any game Longer ever played.

stonecold
SS Life Member

kosifantutti wrote:I did, they said it was better than any game Longer ever played.
More Rubbish, you clearly don't understand the modern game, all the best to you!!!!!

All the best to Tom if he plays though!!!!!

All the best to our mids as well, they'll have to protect each other!!!!!

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Yes, all the teams are looking for ruckman who can’t take a mark or get a kick. I’m surprised they didn’t think of it years ago.

stonecold
SS Life Member

kosifantutti wrote:Yes, all the teams are looking for ruckman who can’t take a mark or get a kick. I’m surprised they didn’t think of it years ago.
Not worries Champion, all the best to ya!!!!!

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
and
I expect him to compete,(physically), that's what he hasn't given ever, a physical contest!!!!!

Ok putting the pieces together
Yoqu must have played next to Carl "elbows" Dietrich
Last edited by sunsaint on Mon 02 Apr 2018 10:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seeya
stonecold
SS Life Member

sunsaint wrote:
stonecold wrote:
and

You just have played next to Carl "elbows" Dietrich

No, but my wife's mum was engaged to him!!!!!

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
sunsaint wrote:
stonecold wrote:
and

You just have played next to Carl "elbows" Dietrich

No, but my wife's mum was engaged to him!!!!!
Cool
What's your wife's surname then?

Seeya