Longer - 1 paltry disposal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Longer - 1 paltry disposal

This has got beyond a joke. I get that he's competitive and the players just looovvvve him in the tap outs, but sadly our midfield has been smashed 2 weeks in a row, and this guy couldn't be playing any worse. 1 disposal just doesn't cut it - for any player!

So, what's the alternative? A bloke like Hickey who scrags and gives away cheap free kicks in rucking contests because he's not strong enough or a kid who possibly doesn't have the tank for AFL just yet? Our rucks are a serious liability. It's killing us from the outset. NONE of our fwds can play in the ruck. If you're going to play 3 key fwds, then one of them has to be a bona fide option as a 2nd ruckman. Bruce doesn't cut it.

I'd try Hickey as a 2nd ruck resting fwd. Marshall to do the bulk of the ruck work and rest off the ground when he needs. Longer has to be dropped. It starts at the centre bounce and we're getting slaughtered there and around the ground in the contest.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Longer - 1 paltry disposal

He was shot just after half time courageous to come back on. Once he was injured it was game over.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
longtimesaint
Club Player

Moods wrote:This has got beyond a joke. I get that he's competitive and the players just looovvvve him in the tap outs, but sadly our midfield has been smashed 2 weeks in a row, and this guy couldn't be playing any worse. 1 disposal just doesn't cut it - for any player!

So, what's the alternative? A bloke like Hickey who scrags and gives away cheap free kicks in rucking contests because he's not strong enough or a kid who possibly doesn't have the tank for AFL just yet? Our rucks are a serious liability. It's killing us from the outset. NONE of our fwds can play in the ruck. If you're going to play 3 key fwds, then one of them has to be a bona fide option as a 2nd ruckman. Bruce doesn't cut it.

I'd try Hickey as a 2nd ruck resting fwd. Marshall to do the bulk of the ruck work and rest off the ground when he needs. Longer has to be dropped. It starts at the centre bounce and we're getting slaughtered there and around the ground in the contest.
I agree Hickey and Marshallfor Longer and McCartin.
Ive seen a lot of players over the years and sadly I can’t see Paddy making it.

One year will be our year
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Longer has been s*** for so long but so has our disposal. When are they going to fix that. It's been at least 10 years.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
stonecold
SS Life Member

Moods wrote:This has got beyond a joke. I get that he's competitive and the players just looovvvve him in the tap outs, but sadly our midfield has been smashed 2 weeks in a row, and this guy couldn't be playing any worse. 1 disposal just doesn't cut it - for any player!

Nice to see you watched the game, <edited by mods>!!!!!

Typical!!!!?

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Longer has been s*** for years.
We only play him because he was a high draft pick.
Like Paddy.
We gift these blokes games based on their draft pick number.
Absolutely embarrassing.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:Longer has been s*** for years.
Like Paddy.
Absolutely embarrassing.
As soon as Longer went off, North kicked 3 in no time, when he went off in the last, they kicked 7, he is not perfect, but way better than anyone else on the list (rucks),which is pretty said!!!!!

Saint_J
Club Player

Short memories, do we all remember Tom's last senior game.... it wasn't pretty

Crossy66
Club Player

stonecold wrote:

Nice to see you watched the game, you c..k!!!!!

Typical!!!!?

Longers not fit and probably shouldn't be playing. But his form in the last half of 2017 was excellent. Hickey is just not competitive as a ruckman and Marshall no where near ready. If anything, Goldsteins performance shows what happens when you dont have a ruckman and neither Hickey or Marshall would have done better than Bruce imo.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
Like Paddy.
Absolutely embarrassing.
As soon as Longer went off, North kicked 3 in no time, when he went off in the last, they kicked 7, he is not perfect, but way better than anyone else on the list (rucks),which is pretty said!!!!!
He's s***.
Full stop.
Seriously I don't want to hear your delusional crap.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Looking at our fixture, we've got trips to Geelong, Tassie, Perth x2 and Queensland before the bye. Our Melbourne games are against Adelaide, GWS, Melbourne, Collingwood, Richmond @ the G and Sydney.

Let's face it, it's a development year. No reason to send out a half fit Longer. Get Marshall in there.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote:If anything, Goldsteins performance shows what happens when you dont have a ruckman and neither Hickey or Marshall would have done better than Bruce imo.
Bruce was not only abysmal in the ruck with ONE hitout recorded - less than Acres, he only took one mark for the match while Goldstein managed 6.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
stonecold wrote:
Like Paddy.
Absolutely embarrassing.
He's s***.
Full stop.
<edited by mods> full stop, not fit to be a real saint!!!!!

You know the rest!!!!!

Saint 58
Club Player

I haven't been this frustrated in a long time.
Play the kids & piss off the duds.

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
bigred
Saintsational Legend

He's not very highly regarded.

One disposal in a half is unacceptable

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
The Recruit
Club Player

Billy Longer is not at AFL standard.
He is the worst starting ruckman in the league.
Our coach sticks by him but Billy is a liabily.
He needs to stop playing for stkilda

stonecold
SS Life Member

stonecold wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
stonecold wrote:
Like Paddy.
Absolutely embarrassing.
He's s***.
Full stop.
<edited by mods> full stop, not fit to be a real saint!!!!!

You know the rest!!!!!
Fine to edit my thread, what about others, bagging out a bloke whom may have played with a ruptured testicle for part of the second half, mod happy for keyboard hero's to have a crack at him?????

Maybe some need to grow a set!!!!!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:

Nice to see you watched the game, <edited by mods>!!!!!

Typical!!!!?
Oh I watched the game alright. I was there watching it. It was painful.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

We respect a coaches decision to back a player and give them a chance over a year or two, and for that player to prove that they are worthy, but if you think the coach has grown a large set of testicles due to his brilliance in team selection, I think there'll be no surprises when Richo is shown the door and you can think whatever you like about the size of his or anyone elses testicles.

Richo has to be accountable. He has publicly backed Billy on a number of occasions and Richo cannot keep claiming that Billy is our best option.

Please remind me...how many shockers did Hickey play? What was 1, 2, 3, maybe 4 really bad games. Remind me how many games has he played Pearce or others while Billy is struggling? Billy has played enough poor games to fill a whole career. He is already at double figures by my count. Where the hell is the equity in giving guys a fair crack? You backed the wrong horse Richo. Cut your losses before you totally destroy this team

SuperDuper
Club Player

Longer got himself fit in 2017. Much fitter than previous years. this allowed him to be competitive in the ruck contests, and our most effective option at that part of the game. Despite his deficiencies around the ground, at least a decent argument could be made that he was our best option.

This year (like other years with the exception of 2017) he had an interrupted pre season and looks off the pace, even in the ruck contests. He was smashed by Martin and Goldy was well on top even before the knackering.

I cannot see how he retains his place. He needs some time out to get back full fitness, a mini pre-season and then we can see how he goes. Until then, we need to try Hickey or Marshall who will also likely get smashed in the ruck contests but will give more around the groun

SuperDuper
Club Player

Longer got himself fit in 2017. Much fitter than previous years. this allowed him to be competitive in the ruck contests, and our most effective option at that part of the game. Despite his deficiencies around the ground, at least a decent argument could be made that he was our best option.

This year (like other years with the exception of 2017) he had an interrupted pre season and looks off the pace, even in the ruck contests. He was smashed by Martin and Goldy was well on top even before the knackering.

I cannot see how he retains his place. He needs some time out to get back full fitness, a mini pre-season and then we can see how he goes. Until then, we need to try Hickey or Marshall who will also likely get smashed in the ruck contests but will give more around the ground

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Longer is the least skilful player in the league. That is not an opinion based on the frustration a bad loss. it is a fact. Throw in an average of 5 touches per game and a solitary mark, and it doesn't look pretty. Hickey on the other hand will get at least 15 touches, take a few defensive marks and kick a goal for us. Seriously, which option is the more attractive? Okay, so Longer is stronger...,big deal.....if you can't do anything but contest a ball-up or throw in, then what's the use? We are playing a man short. Simple.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Cant catch it and can’t run, so f*** him offf!!!

CarlD
Club Player

And while we're at it. As has been said many, many times before - Josh Bruce is not a ruckman. What there is of forward line structure goes out the window when he's not there.

Marshall to ruck with Gilbert as the cut-out. I know Sam's got his deficiencies but at least he will bring a contest and provide more run than we currently have.

Crossy66
Club Player

SuperDuper wrote:Longer got himself fit in 2017. Much fitter than previous years. this allowed him to be competitive in the ruck contests, and our most effective option at that part of the game. Despite his deficiencies around the ground, at least a decent argument could be made that he was our best option.

I cannot see how he retains his place. He needs some time out to get back full fitness, a mini pre-season and then we can see how he goes. Until then, we need to try Hickey or Marshall who will also likely get smashed in the ruck contests but will give more around the groun
Intelligent post. I agree that playing him underdone in the two games this year was probably a mistake. He is certainly capable as demonstrated in the back half of 2017. He is clearly underdone and his trademark tap work hasnt been there , in part due to his timing been off. I dont have a problem with Hickey, Marshall or Pierce coming in, but you have to think if none of them can dominate at VFL level, how do they compete at the elite level? I imagine all three would have been told as much by the coaches. I.e. You perform at VFL and at training and you will be considered for AFL selection. Pretty simple concept, but sadly Hickey seems to have dropped away and MArshall is a work in progress, I think Pierce is probably not on the radar
Again, i dont get the emotive language used to attack Billy, one of OUR players. I dont understand why the mods allow this, or why someone would profess to being a supporter and carrying on like that. If you prefer Hickey then thats your opinion and thats fine, Same for Marshall, But no need for the abuse.

If you were upset by yesterday, you arent alone, it was an unbelievably poor performance from most of the team. AFL players unable to kick or handball under pressure are a liability. I do think however for quite a few, its more a "between the ears" issue. I hope that the sentiment from the fans, the media and the staff shock them into action.
Just stop singling out one or two blokes