UMPIRES

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: UMPIRES

Do people honestly think the umpires purposely give us a bad run???

What possible reason would they have to do this?

I guarantee you if you asked any supporter from any club they will tell you the umpires pick on them.

Maybe it’s the supporters who aren’t judging the game fairly, and not the umps...

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
howlinwolf wrote:I do believe they got the better of the frees.
No way did it affect the result though.
We do need to look at why we give so many away as it's a common theme week in, week out.
If we're 10 frees down on the ledger most weeks instead of 10 up there's a distinct advantage.
I get CURLY's point though. It does seem odd sometimes. Most games I watch, it seems that the umpires are leaning towards one team. They often even it up in the last when it doesn't matter, too. It's a nice feeling at 3qt to be leading in score, but behind in frees.
Oh ffs. Curly is a broken record totally stuck in the same groove. Week after week, year after year the same predictable garbage about umpiring. Finger pointing, blaming, it’s all someone else’s fault...ad nauseum. It’s pretty much all he posts about. Must be a nightmare to sit near at the game. Whingus Maximus.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:Do people honestly think the umpires purposely give us a bad run???

I guarantee you if you asked any supporter from any club they will tell you the umpires pick on them.

Maybe it’s the supporters who aren’t judging the game fairly, and not the umps...
Apparently some people do.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
satchmo wrote:
We do need to look at why we give so many away as it's a common theme week in, week out.
If we're 10 frees down on the ledger most weeks instead of 10 up there's a distinct advantage.
I get CURLY's point though. It does seem odd sometimes. Most games I watch, it seems that the umpires are leaning towards one team. They often even it up in the last when it doesn't matter, too. It's a nice feeling at 3qt to be leading in score, but behind in frees.
Oh ffs. Curly is a broken record totally stuck in the same groove. Week after week, year after year the same predictable garbage about umpiring. Finger pointing, blaming, it’s all someone else’s fault...ad nauseum. It’s pretty much all he posts about. Must be a nightmare to sit near at the game. Whingus Maximus.
You could just disagree with him. If it's the whinging that you don't like, it's probably best not to have an almighty whinge about it.

I'm not sure why some people get so upset when others complain about umpiring.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Low profile club and since Grant Thomas mouthed off we’ve copped a bad run. Not just from the umpires but the AFL in general.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
st.byron wrote:
satchmo wrote:
You could just disagree with him. If it's the whinging that you don't like, it's probably best not to have an almighty whinge about it.

I'm not sure why some people get so upset when others complain about umpiring.

It’s one thing to complain about umpiring......another to be pathologically obsessed with it and trot out the same stuff week after week after week...

ace
Saintsational Legend

I don't care about the facts.
I don't care about our player lack of performance.
The umpires are always wrong whenever we lose.
They are afterall, umpires.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

In the 3rd quarter (I think) Clark got holding the ball against him I reckon 3 times. All three times he had no prior and the whistle blew straight away. When it a was a North's player's turn the whistle was now blown until it was a ball up or the player got the ball away.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
stevie
Saintsational Legend

‘Despite a late flurry of cheating in the last qtr, the Hawks were able to withstand the pressure of ridiculous free kicks against them, to the extent where it was impossible for the umpires to get Geebung the 4 points.’

Brownlow votes by 3 maggots:

3 P.Dangerfield
2 P.Dangerfield
1/2 T.Mitchell
1/2 C.Judd

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Some of the dumbest things I have ever read on this forum relate to umpires.
And this is frightening coming from me a middle aged bogan who was a year nine tech school drop out.

1. Umpires should disclose the team they supported.
FFS, only bogan supporter bullish-t. As if this would have an affect on professional judgement.

2. The umpires cheat against StKilda.
FFS, open your eyes. Sometimes it goes our way and other times it does not. I tend to think if you are playing well the umpiring momentum runs with you and against you if you are a scragging playing like crap.

3. The AFL instruct the umpires to cheat against StKilda.
Go for it Curly, this is your baby.

There is no doubt coaches or players bagging umpires publicly can have a short term effect, such as GT and whispers in the sky, but to subscribe to the Umpires are against us mentality is stupidity.

Also interested in how former saints player Leigh Fisher copes when told at his umpires meetings by the AFL to give the @rse end of the stick to the saints.

Haven't heard any complaints about him umpiring matches or that he should be banned from Saints games.

As for Curly and his repitition of umpire posts, well Curly I suggest you confer with Larry and Moe and see if you can work it out between you. I do realize you are pulling our chain :wink:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:Do people honestly think the umpires purposely give us a bad run???

Maybe but the saints can back up the bias against them with statistics. We are repeatedly on the wrong end of lopsided free kick tallies and have been for years. We get the spikey end of the pinapple every year.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:‘Despite a late flurry of cheating in the last qtr, the Hawks were able to withstand the pressure of ridiculous free kicks against them, to the extent where it was impossible for the umpires to get Geebung the 4 points.’

3 P.Dangerfield
2 P.Dangerfield
1/2 T.Mitchell
1/2 C.Judd
It was bloody dreadful. 7 yes 7 free kicks in a row to the girls from sleepy hollow before the hawks snagged a free.

I would be embarrassed if I was umpiring that match.

The only good thing was the cheating maggots failed to get their beloved pussies over the line. Wallets will be a little lighter this week.

The frees were pretty even at 3/4 time but then the maggots decided to alter the flow of the game..end result 19 frres to the hawks 27 to the pussies.

You tell me why that's expainable. Even one of the journo's said it was just as well the hawks won or there would have been a storm.
Last edited by saynta on Tue 03 Apr 2018 3:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:Some of the dumbest things I have ever read on this forum relate to umpires.
And this is frightening coming from me a middle aged bogan who was a year nine tech school drop out.

FFS, only bogan supporter bullish-t. As if this would have an affect on professional judgement.

FFS, open your eyes. Sometimes it goes our way and other times it does not. I tend to think if you are playing well the umpiring momentum runs with you and against you if you are a scragging playing like crap.

There is no doubt coaches or players bagging umpires publicly can have a short term effect, such as GT and whispers in the sky, but to subscribe to the Umpires are against us mentality is stupidity.

Also interested in how former saints player Leigh Fisher copes when told at his umpires meetings by the AFL to give the @rse end of the stick to the saints.

Haven't heard any complaints about him umpiring matches or that he should be banned from Saints games.

As for Curly and his repitition of umpire posts, well Curly I suggest you confer with Larry and Moe and see if you can work it out between you. I do realize you are pulling our chain :wink:
Have a look at the free for and against for the last 5 years and then come back with an argument to justify the lop sidded tallis FFS.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:Some of the dumbest things I have ever read on this forum relate to umpires.

Well after Fisher's first game umpiring the saints where we were given a fair go, compaints from the opposition re bias saw the AFL stating that fisher wouldn't be umpiring any more Saints games in the immediate future.

That has obviously changed, and maybe Fisher agreed to screw us over in future. I don't know really what changed the AFL minds, but he couldn't be accused of giving us a fair suck of the sauce bottle these days. :roll: :roll:

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
stevie wrote:‘Despite a late flurry of cheating in the last qtr, the Hawks were able to withstand the pressure of ridiculous free kicks against them, to the extent where it was impossible for the umpires to get Geebung the 4 points.’

3 P.Dangerfield
2 P.Dangerfield
1/2 T.Mitchell
1/2 C.Judd
It was bloody dreadful. 7 yes 7 free kicks in a row to the girls from sleepy hollow before the hawks snagged a free.

The only good thing was the cheating maggots failed to get their beloved pussies over the line. Wallets will be a little lighter this week.

The frees were pretty even at 3/4 time but then the maggots decided to alter the flow of the game..end result 19 frres to the hawks 27 to the pussies.

You tell me why that's expainable. Even one of the journo's said it was just as well the hawks won or there would have been a storm.
Yes I will tell you why that is explainable, but it will mean you will have to have some comprehension of common sense so I'm not holding my breath.
People, umpires, players, coaches, supporters etc make mistakes, they get caught up in emotion, the crowd the game and they make mistakes.
BTW, this thread has nothing to do with a game between two teams I don't give a hairy rats ringer about.

My point is the idiocy of Curly and obviously your good self Saynta in the belief that every umpire conspires to shaft St Kilda in every match we play.
How is it that I sit in a group of St Kilda supporters and hear bitching about the odd decision but never hear a conspiracy theory or reference to umpiring influencing the outcome of St Kilda matches?

Answer one logical question Saynta, what have the umpires got to gain by cheating against St Kilda?
Is it the CEO a self confessed St Kilda supporter?

Could an umpire influence a match by being paid by gamblers? Absolutely!
Can poor umpiring determine an outcome? From time to time maybe yes.
Can some umpires have a dislike for certain teams and players? I believe so.
Can coaches, players, club mouthing off have an impact on umpires? Yes.
Is there a conspiracy against St Kilda from the AFL and the Umpires? NO.
Does St Kilda get the rough end of the stock every week? NO.
Have we been bent over by umpires for the last 5 years? NO.
Are some supporters so one eyed and illogical that they cannot see the forest for the trees? YES!

I bet you already knew Paul died in a car crash in 1967 and the moon landing was filmed in a studio in the Nevada desert?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

did anyone see that one where the umpire called a free kick and the ball got passed around a couple of times by the opposition
it should have been 50 which would have given a shot on goal???

Seeya
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: People, umpires, players, coaches, supporters etc make mistakes, they get caught up in emotion, the crowd the game and they make mistakes.
Pretty sure that's all we are talking about.
The rest is mayo.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:
saynta wrote:

3 P.Dangerfield
2 P.Dangerfield
1/2 T.Mitchell
1/2 C.Judd

Yes I will tell you why that is explainable, but it will mean you will have to have some comprehension of common sense so I'm not holding my breath.
People, umpires, players, coaches, supporters etc make mistakes, they get caught up in emotion, the crowd the game and they make mistakes.
BTW, this thread has nothing to do with a game between two teams I don't give a hairy rats ringer about.

My point is the idiocy of Curly and obviously your good self Saynta in the belief that every umpire conspires to shaft St Kilda in every match we play.
How is it that I sit in a group of St Kilda supporters and hear bitching about the odd decision but never hear a conspiracy theory or reference to umpiring influencing the outcome of St Kilda matches?

Answer one logical question Saynta, what have the umpires got to gain by cheating against St Kilda?
Is it the CEO a self confessed St Kilda supporter?

Could an umpire influence a match by being paid by gamblers? Absolutely!
Can poor umpiring determine an outcome? From time to time maybe yes.
Can some umpires have a dislike for certain teams and players? I believe so.
Can coaches, players, club mouthing off have an impact on umpires? Yes.
Is there a conspiracy against St Kilda from the AFL and the Umpires? NO.
Does St Kilda get the rough end of the stock every week? NO.
Have we been bent over by umpires for the last 5 years? NO.
Are some supporters so one eyed and illogical that they cannot see the forest for the trees? YES!

I bet you already knew Paul died in a car crash in 1967 and the moon landing was filmed in a studio in the Nevada desert?
If you are going to be offensive I won't be responding to any of your f****** insulting posts

For the record I would bet my house on the fact that I have person experience and contact with many of the little maggots and have never been impressed with their honesty or sense of fair play.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Whilst I am not going to engage in debate with posters who choose to denigrate other SSposters I am prepared to back my stance with statistics provided by the AFL.

Year. frees for. (ave per match). frees against. ( ave per match)

2008 20.0 20.9

2009 19.4 16.8

2010 17.3 19.4

2011 19.5 21.3

2012 18.4 18.6

2013 16.1 17.9

2014 15.5 16.8

2015 17.9 20.8

2016. 16.8 17.8

2017. 17.8 17.0

2018. 18.5 24.0

So in 10 completed seasons we have won the free kick count only twice even with the maggots trying to even up the counts in the 4th quarter of a match

The figures don't seem to be that far apart until you realise a difference of 2 means our opponents got an extra 44 frees per year than we got.

i could add them all up if I was bothered by the discrepancy amounts to many hundreds over that 10 year period.

Yes we regularly get reemed. Why? How the f*** do I know. Something stinks though and it aint in Denmark.

SaintDippa
Club Player

Watched the replay on the weekend. Umpire #30 Shane McInerney's decision making was interesting over all quarters.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:Whilst I am not going to engage in debate with posters who choose to denigrate other SSposters I am prepared to back my stance with statistics provided by the AFL.

Year. frees for. (ave per match). frees against. ( ave per match)

2008 20.0 20.9

2009 19.4 16.8

2010 17.3 19.4

2011 19.5 21.3

2012 18.4 18.6

2013 16.1 17.9

2014 15.5 16.8

2015 17.9 20.8

2016. 16.8 17.8

2017. 17.8 17.0

2018. 18.5 24.0

So in 10 completed seasons we have won the free kick count only twice even with the maggots trying to even up the counts in the 4th quarter of a match

The figures don't seem to be that far apart until you realise a difference of 2 means our opponents got an extra 44 frees per year than we got.

i could add them all up if I was bothered by the discrepancy amounts to many hundreds over that 10 year period.

Yes we regularly get reemed. Why? How the f*** do I know. Something stinks though and it aint in Denmark.
2008 20 20.9 # 4.50% negative
2009 19.4 16.8 # 13.40% positive
2010 17.3 19.4 # 10% negative
2011 19.5 21.3 # 8% negative
2012 18.4 18.6 # 1% negative
2013 16.1 17.9 # 10% negative
2014 15.5 16.8 # 8% negative
2015 17.9 20.8 # 10% positive
2016 16.8 17.8 # 6% negative
2017 17.8 17 # 5% negative

OK, so going by your supporting data and free kick counts there has been a variation of an average of 5% in the negative against the Saints in the last 10 years or 1 free kick per match, with the massive exception of 2009 where the umpires cheated (most likely instructed by the AFL - hey Curly) to try and gift us a flag by giving us a massive 13.45% more free kicks than our opposition. This differential had nothing to do with us winning 19 straight and being the best team in the comp it was the cheats cheating for us for a change.

The umpires again cheated in 2015 to give us 10% or 2 extra free kicks per game than our opponents.

So going by your sound logic (lol :lol: ) Saynta & Curly, we need to do whatever it was we did in 2009 and 2015 where the umpires were cheating for us, not the other seasons where they were cheating against us. How do we get the cheating maggots to cheat for us again? There must be a way!

So what did we do to get them to cheat on our behalf in 2009 & 2015?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

You're telling the story.

resaintlee
Club Player

'Could an umpire influence a match by being paid by gamblers? Absolutely!'

This one gets mentioned from time to time. Are there checks in place to ensure it doesn't happen? Perhaps there should be as it does happen in other sports and the game can be open to interpretation by umpires.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

lies LIES and damned statistics - it just depends
2017 Season FF FA
Geelong 514 527
StK 392 374

So Sayntas "umpire love child" the cats were penalised more than they were awarded and the games obviously heavily umpired
StKilda ? - the ole timers rejoiced because the umps obviously let stkilda games flow more and penalised us less

just depends on the way you look at it
cue next poster to cry - yeah its not the ones they pay its all the ones they misssssssssss

Seeya
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:You're telling the story.
Ah, no I am not telling the story, I am responding to the bogan conspiracy theory perpetuated by Curly and your good self that umpires cheat, they ream and disadvantage St.Kilda in favor of other clubs, apparently on a ten year basis.

Now it is logical to assume, if they are cheating against us (as stated by you and Curly) when the free kick count is -5% against us, that they are cheating massively in our favor when we have a free kick advantage of +13.5% in 2009 and + 10.25% in 2015, is it not?

How do we get to ensure they cheat in our favor (because the dirty little maggots are cheats right?) and give us the massive 13.5% advantage like they did in 2009?

I'm all for cheating as long as they cheat for us like they did in 2015 & 2009.