Timid Watson's Incredible Insight on Paddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Timid Watson's Incredible Insight on Paddy

Did anyone hear this suckhole on SEN this morning? Said McCartin is basically a write-off and we should have got Petracca in the draft four years ago. FFS, he is giving his opinion years later.

Gee, gutsy call, Tim!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Re: Timid Watson's Incredible Insight on Paddy

His son had to take drugs to be any good.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Tim Watson's comments were played for Dermott Brereton about an hour ago, Brereton's response was interesting. He said:

That Paddy needed to build fitness and lay more tackles. He said that he didn't like Paddy when we first recruited him, but he said when he has since seen the way Paddy flys for marks and hits packs, he changed his mind and asserted, "Gee, the kid can play".

So in summary he he rates Paddy and just reckons Paddy needs to work on the defesensive side of his game. Pretty normal for a young key forward with only 22 games under his belt I would think. Jonathon Brown also rates Paddy. I would consider Brown & Brereton more qualified to assess young key forwards than most.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Paddy just needs to keep playing footy and get half a season of consecutive AFL games under his belt. Such a stunted start to his career, He’s a genuine footballer, lets give him a chance to find some form.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:Tim Watson's comments were played for Dermott Brereton about an hour ago, Brereton's response was interesting. He said:

That Paddy needed to build fitness and lay more tackles. He said that he didn't like Paddy when we first recruited him, but he said when he has since seen the way Paddy flys for marks and hits packs, he changed his mind and asserted, "Gee, the kid can play".

So in summary he he rates Paddy and just reckons Paddy needs to work on the defesensive side of his game. Pretty normal for a young key forward with only 22 games under his belt I would think. Jonathon Brown also rates Paddy. I would consider Brown & Brereton more qualified to assess young key forwards than most.
Well, more than timid timmy, the loser.

You don't get to be a no1 draft pick unless you have some ability and footy smarts.

TT should stick to commenting on the drug cheats.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:Tim Watson's comments were played for Dermott Brereton about an hour ago, Brereton's response was interesting. He said:

Thanks for adding this, LL.

For once I find myself agreeing with Dermie. It's also good that Dermie rates him, particularly since we know all too well Dermie won't be making assessments on anything St.Kilda through a rose filtered lens.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Drake Huggins
Club Player

Tim Watson's coaching record speaks volumes about his ability to judge players and get the best from them. Took a finals quality list to the spoon within two seasons. That takes some doing. Great footballer, but not the sharpest tool in the shed. Ask those he coached and dealt with in his time at Moorabbin. Jumping on the anti paddy wagon after four years. About par for the course in terms of how quickly he thinks.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
SuperDuper
Club Player

Tim might be correct.. .lets hope not but Paddy is still struggling to justify a place in the team

barneyboyz
Club Player

SuperDuper wrote:Tim might be correct.. .lets hope not but Paddy is still struggling to justify a place in the team
Paddy has done well to even be where he is now. If he can get a good section of this season together (without injury) and he's still struggling...then timid might be right. I have seen enough of Paddy to be giving him every opportunity, as does the club.

Brown and Dermott know exactly what they are talking about

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Saints43
Club Player

Tim doesn't always get it wrong. Remember that time James Begley captained the Saints?

Winmar7
Club Player

Drake Huggins wrote:Tim Watson's coaching record speaks volumes about his ability to judge players and get the best from them. Took a finals quality list to the spoon within two seasons. That takes some doing. Great footballer, but not the sharpest tool in the shed. Ask those he coached and dealt with in his time at Moorabbin. Jumping on the anti paddy wagon after four years. About par for the course in terms of how quickly he thinks.
Great call! It's game 1 of the year, Paddy hasn't strung too many games together over his career, so let's judge him after he's had a full year.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

If I were Billings abd Gresham I would be demanding Paddy play every week. He crashes every pack he is rarely beaten in the air.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:Tim Watson's coaching record speaks volumes about his ability to judge players and get the best from them. Took a finals quality list to the spoon within two seasons. That takes some doing. Great footballer, but not the sharpest tool in the shed. Ask those he coached and dealt with in his time at Moorabbin. Jumping on the anti paddy wagon after four years. About par for the course in terms of how quickly he thinks.

"Timmy lost his way"

- Plymo

"Stan lost his way"

- Plymo.

On Thomo. "I brought that prick into the club"

- Plymo

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

If Geelong approached us at the end of the year and offered us pick 15 for Paddy, would you take it?

I think I would.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
spert
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:

"Timmy lost his way"

- Plymo

"Stan lost his way"

- Plymo.

On Thomo. "I brought that prick into the club"

- Plymo
Plymo...ha ha .changed his mind like the wind when it suited.

stonecold
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote:If Geelong approached us at the end of the year and offered us pick 15 for Paddy, would you take it?

I think I would.
Too early to make that call!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Play the kid all year if he's fit. A bit of persistence and luck and he gains some confidence. Show the kid some love!

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
stonecold
SS Life Member

satchmo wrote:Play the kid all year if he's fit. A bit of persistence and luck and he gains some confidence. Show the kid some love!
This!!!!!

Drake Huggins
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:If Geelong approached us at the end of the year and offered us pick 15 for Paddy, would you take it?

I think I would.
I'd be sorely tempted.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think I would.
In a heartbeat.
But I guess the reality is we are all clutching at straws. Looking for signs. Jumping at shadows.
The just is well and truly out on Paddy still.
But the odds are shifting against him.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:Play the kid all year if he's fit. A bit of persistence and luck and he gains some confidence. Show the kid some love!

This

stonecold
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:

I think I would.
In a heartbeat.
But I guess the reality is we are all clutching at straws. Looking for signs. Jumping at shadows.
The just is well and truly out on Paddy still.
But the odds are shifting against him.
Odds are made to be broken!!!!!

You jump at shadows a lot Connie!!!!!

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Let's see where we are at the end of the year. I'm clinging to the vain hope that he does a Josh Kennedy (WCE) who took 45 games to reach 50 goals at two different clubs. Great foresight by the WC to nab him in the Judd trade. Unfortunately Paddy hasn't shown anywhere near as much as JK had at that stage, especially in terms of athleticism and running power.

I wonder if the club's early resigning of Paddy may have an element of insurance to it. Geelong was preparing to make a move on him at the end of 2018. If his contract expired then, they and Paddy, if he wanted to move, would've been in the box seat to make it happen. Having him under contract gives us the whip hand in any trade negotiations, should they occur. Perhaps Ameet had one eye on that scenario when he resigned Paddy.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:

Thanks for adding this, LL.

For once I find myself agreeing with Dermie. It's also good that Dermie rates him, particularly since we know all too well Dermie won't be making assessments on anything St.Kilda through a rose filtered lens.
In this thread and in the 'Paddy' thread that felix started (currently at 7 pages) there are posters giving us reminders of why this kid was chosen as our key forward and our No. 1 draft pick in 2014. We all saw with our own eyes what he was capable of. Obviously Brown and Brereton watch a lot of football and their observations were based on what Paddy did in bursts and what they know comes with some development for a key forward. How can you not listen to these guys who have been arguably 2 of the very best dforwards of all time? So what has gone wrong?

Fair enough, that Paddy had to be rested after his concussions, but what about at the start of last year when he was played in the VFL in round 1 instead of in the seniors in round 1? What about when Roo got injured and then came back into the team as the stay at home forward? Great future planning there! Great confidence in your future key forward isn't?

My concern, as is the concern from other Saints supporters, is do we develop players well enough? What is Richo and co's track record on player development? Is team selection and player management part of the problem? I understand that we couldn't play 'after' he was concussed...but let me be clear... that is not the point. Paddy had been an AFL footballer for just 2 years and he needed game time. Early last year he should have been in the side.

Ther is always a price to pay when you sacrifice the future for the now. We as fans are paying the price of having Roo wheeled out each week early last year instead of Paddy. The team needs to play with Paddy and Paddy needs game time to learn how his mids and his half backs react to his leads. Unfortunately, we just need to wait another couple of years because the coaches were unrealistically hoping that Roo would help us get into the finals in 2017.

When you invest your future on a key forward as your number 1 draft pick you have a responsibility to play the kid even if he is not ready. You do not play an aging star (even if he is a living/playing legend) and you certainly do not favour an aging star ahead of your number one draft pick, whne that aging star is injured and hobbling. Last year when Richo and co. let Roo play instead of Paddy that really fuckn pissed me off. We all knew that with the right opportunities and the natural progression that there should be a return on our investment.

The lack of faith and lack of opportunities provided to Paddy early last year was a monumental error and a mistake that snowballed and created other problems and I believe the kid lost confidence which made him second guess and made him play desperate football instead of instinctive football. It means the players didn't get opportunities to create cohesion between mids and forwards. People will come out as they did several times last year and tell me that I'm crazy thinking we'd play a kid who didn't look like he had an AFL body, but I remember the same arguments about Tom Hawkins for the first 3-4 years of his career. The development of the kid was superb. The coaches were looking to the future. I think in his 4th year he helped them win a premiership.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

It wasn't that long ago that "Billings was a wasted pick" and "Seb Ross is useless".

Paddy needs more time and more games.