Confusion moving the ball into the fwd line

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Confusion moving the ball into the fwd line

We seemed decidedly confused today, almost as if we didn't have a game plan when entering our fwd line. Almost as if the players have been conditioned to bombing it long and have now been told that they aren't to do that. Instead we say some shocking hesitancy with the ball. You compare this with the slick hawk machine tonight as to when to hit the lead up player, when to handpass to create the free player to give him a shot or when to kick long to Roughead.

Classic case was Paddy taking a mark running in and having the overlap. He inexplicably pulled up despite the fact that if he had of run at the opposition player he would have given the hanpass over the top or kicked it himself. I thought many of our goals today looked like hard work and we had zero fluency through the middle of the ground. I reckon we've been told to play through the corridor, but when that's covered by opposition we're unsure of which way to go.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Confusion moving the ball into the fwd line

Moods wrote:We seemed decidedly confused today, almost as if we didn't have a game plan when entering our fwd line. Almost as if the players have been conditioned to bombing it long and have now been told that they aren't to do that. Instead we say some shocking hesitancy with the ball. You compare this with the slick hawk machine tonight as to when to hit the lead up player, when to handpass to create the free player to give him a shot or when to kick long to Roughead.

Classic case was Paddy taking a mark running in and having the overlap. He inexplicably pulled up despite the fact that if he had of run at the opposition player he would have given the hanpass over the top or kicked it himself. I thought many of our goals today looked like hard work and we had zero fluency through the middle of the ground. I reckon we've been told to play through the corridor, but when that's covered by opposition we're unsure of which way to go.
Agree and think this has been an issue for some time
We overuse the handball for mine which makes it harder for forwards as it crowds quickly in there - Lions looked less cluttered than ours...

“Yeah….nah””
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Moods wrote:We seemed decidedly confused today, almost as if we didn't have a game plan when entering our fwd line. Almost as if the players have been conditioned to bombing it long and have now been told that they aren't to do that. Instead we say some shocking hesitancy with the ball. You compare this with the slick hawk machine tonight as to when to hit the lead up player, when to handpass to create the free player to give him a shot or when to kick long to Roughead.

Rubbish.

Our only problem tonight was that we were well beaten in clearances. Our transition to attack and movement of the ball forward was actually quite good. There were a few mistakes because we were trying to go too quickly and the Paddy thing was a result of great movement, followed by a bad decision by Paddy. Thankfully that came off anyway.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The key really is to move it quickly and precisely into the forward line and hop fully to get it to one of our guys on the lead or one-out at worst.

Bombing long is a low percentage play, but sometimes, if there is no other option, that is all you'Ve got.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Linton Lodger wrote:

Rubbish.

Our only problem tonight was that we were well beaten in clearances. Our transition to attack and movement of the ball forward was actually quite good. There were a few mistakes because we were trying to go too quickly and the Paddy thing was a result of great movement, followed by a bad decision by Paddy. Thankfully that came off anyway.
Not sure I agree with that. Our inside 50 efficiency was poor, as it was last year. We rarely get players lace out in the forward line, it always seems to be Membrey / Bruce either one on one or two on one, or bombed to a pack hoping our forward pressure can crumb and goal somehow.

I would say the best forwards in the league would struggle a lot being in our forward line. The entry is just not very slick most of the time.

poatina
Club Player

We persist in the useless ploy of getting stuck on the wing going forward, so kicking it backwards, then two little kicks across ground then back to just as far out as when we started but on the other side. Meanwhile the opposition have strolled in to clog up our forward line. It is so utterly predictable. Does Richo actually think any opposition is going to be taken by surprise by this anymore?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

poatina wrote:Meanwhile the opposition have strolled in to clog up our forward line. It is so utterly predictable. Does Richo actually think any opposition is going to be taken by surprise by this anymore?
You need someone who can kick a torp and just go over the top for goal. The old torp. Hard to mark, but long and surprisingly accurate.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:...Our only problem tonight was that we were well beaten in clearances...
That was our number 1 problem. We started to do better just before ¾ time and beat them in the last quarter. Up until that stage, it was the worst game I had seen Billy Longer play. The other problem was that, up to ¾ time, we had almost as many handballs as kicks (some of our players can't handball one metre let alone 20 like Robert Harvey could). In the last quarter, we had twice as many kicks as handballs. Seb Ross was most prominent (after being un-prominent). I wish Jake Carlisle would kick it more. He is easily our most skilled long kick.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Our movement of the ball offensively was at times breathtaking, I was very happy with our offensive movement. We were smashed in clearances and still scored 16.11.107, there's a lot to like about that.

If we'd broken even in clearances, we won by about 10-12 goals and kicked 20 plus, whilst restricting Brisbane to 7-9 goals.

The clearances would have been in some part due to Longer's ordinary game, although credit were credit is due, he did lift. There was more to it than Longer's game and probably nothing that a few tweaks to our inside set ups won't fix.

We were superb on the outside, where we have been deficient in the last few years.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:Our movement of the ball offensively was at times breathtaking, I was very happy with our offensive movement. We were smashed in clearances and still scored 16.11.107, there's a lot to like about that.

If we'd broken even in clearances, we won by about 10-12 goals and kicked 20 plus, whilst restricting Brisbane to 7-9 goals.

The clearances would have been in some part due to Longer's ordinary game, although credit were credit is due, he did lift. There was more to it than Longer's game and probably nothing that a few tweaks to our inside set ups won't fix.

We were superb on the outside, where we have been deficient in the last few years.
Compared to say the Hawks last night (who I would have thought are roughly competing with us for the same positions on the ladder) I thought our fwd entries were almost laughable. We relied on brilliance from Steven and Billing to kick the goals or set them up.

There were a couple of good goals on transition from turnovers, I concede. But so many times we were streaming down field and simply picked the wrong option. I hope you're right and that it was simply a matter of not winning the clearances. For now though, I hope to see more composure entering 50.

On a positve note - in the last quarter especially there were a couple of beautiful centering kicks from half back that set play up. Our field kicking appears better than our handpassing where we seem to toss the ball around but just get in a muddle.

SMS
Club Player

Were confused cause our coaches ate shite

We need to sack most of them. Im dead serious.

Richo isnt the man. Clearly. We were so bad yesterday. Embarrassing.

stonecold
SS Life Member

SMS wrote:Were confused cause our coaches ate shite

We need to sack most of them. Im dead serious.

Richo isnt the man. Clearly. We were so bad yesterday. Embarrassing.
You should leave!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Our ball movement was actually very good when we hit targets. We kicked 7 goals from chain possession from inside defensive 50 without a Brisbane player touching the ball. Our biggest issue was clearances and contested possession, we were always starting attacks from deep in defence instead of centre or forward of centre

supersaints
Club Player

Methinks... we just rush to much moving it forward and moving in a hap hazard way ... just not taking that split second to weigh up options.. not sure if that a coaching mantra ...but the best players always seem to have more time to pick a good or better option . Could be a maturity thing hopefully it will be sorted out sooner rather than later.
Good sides look quick because they move the ball well , sides that just move it for the sake of speed look rushed...

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:Methinks... we just rush to much moving it forward and moving in a hap hazard way ... just not taking that split second to weigh up options.. not sure if that a coaching mantra ...but the best players always seem to have more time to pick a good or better option . Could be a maturity thing hopefully it will be sorted out sooner rather than later.
Good sides look quick because they move the ball well , sides that just move it for the sake of speed look rushed...
Completely agree