Ben Long

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ben Long

prwilkinson wrote:Deserves another run next week. Could become our ‘1 percenter’ king plus pick a few cherries on his way through.
22 players each contributing 1 percent only gives 22%.
We need players who are at least 5 percenters.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
BadRossco
Club Player

He must have really starred in the first 10 minutes of the third quarter that I missed because I thought he was very ordinary.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

ace wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:Deserves another run next week. Could become our ‘1 percenter’ king plus pick a few cherries on his way through.
22 players each contributing 1 percent only gives 22%.
We need players who are at least 5 percenters.
We need players who can play a role. He seems ahead of Lonie and co. for that position. At least he doesn’t bounce off when trying to put pressure on.

barneyboyz
Club Player

BadRossco wrote:He must have really starred in the first 10 minutes of the third quarter that I missed because I thought he was very ordinary.
Did not star, and wouldn't have been expected to, but as others have suggested...he shows something that could be very special. Something I can't quite put my finger on just yet, but reckon he'll be here for quite some time

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Schillaci
Club Player

Was pleasantly surprised by his game. Did enough in a 4 goal win to hold his spot IMO.

silverhalo
Club Player

silverhalo wrote:I thought Ben Long played his best game for the club today. I love his dash, has really good hands, and his defensive game is fantastic, could be really valuable for us going forward...
I posted this about a month ago because I could see the wheel was starting to turn for Longy.......I love this kid and I'm sure he's got a BIG future with the Saints. His manic tackling pressure and the X factor he brings to the team is something we lack. Oh and that goal yesterday, keep it going Longy!!!!

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Looks to have outstanding potential. That goal was something else - at that time! It raised everyone's energy at the game by about 15% - when people were thinking - oh ok, honorable loss! He could become a real contributor to our resurgence if he continues like Saturday.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
silverhalo
Club Player

Credit where credit's due.....maybe, just maybe, Trout got a good one here :D

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

SEN announced that he was this week's Rising Star.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:SEN announced that he was this week's Rising Star.
Great news Magic Mike, without putting too much pressure pressure on him, let's hope he can continue to grow and prosper and maybe, just maybe, win the Rising Star for 2018!!!!!

Just another quality pick up from our recruiting staff!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Congrats Ben
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2018-04-2 ... tar-rising
Ben Long’s standout performance against the Giants has been rewarded with a NAB Rising Star nomination.

Long’s 15 disposals, eight tackles and one unforgettable goal saw the 21-year-old get the nod after a drawn-out Round 5.

After four games in his debut season in 2017, Long has played every game this year, improving in each outing before playing a crucial role in the Saints’ draw with the then top-of-the-table Giants.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-26/l ... -dry-spell#/

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
DJ Higgins
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote:Got better in the last quarter, but lacked composure for 3/4s and disposed too quickly and to the wrong or even no options. Even the around the corner goal he kicked in the last should have been a handball to 35 streaming towards goal with space in front. Hope he improves.
You got your wish. Rising star nom to back it up. Wait until he gets some more confidence and experience under his belt. Good be a great pick up

stonecold
SS Life Member

DJ Higgins wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:Got better in the last quarter, but lacked composure for 3/4s and disposed too quickly and to the wrong or even no options. Even the around the corner goal he kicked in the last should have been a handball to 35 streaming towards goal with space in front. Hope he improves.
You got your wish. Rising star nom to back it up. Wait until he gets some more confidence and experience under his belt. Good be a great pick up
Obviously, those that matter saw it differently to our mod, well done Benny, will become a 'Jet', as I stated along time ago!!!!!

bigred
Saintsational Legend

That is freaking awesome.

Extremely happy for him.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
stonecold
SS Life Member

bigred wrote:That is freaking awesome.

Extremely happy for him.
Yes, indeed, credit to Ben, the coaching staff (for showing faith and developing) and to the recruiting staff (for taking a chance on him)!!!!!

Well done to all involved!!!!!

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Still a wait and see.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:That is freaking awesome.

Extremely happy for him.

plus a lot.

I knew the kid could play.

Can't help it with those genes.

Long and Rioli.....wow.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Can he entice his mate Brandon Parfit to come and visit Moorabbin during the bye ;)

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

This joint is so funny sometimes. In the space of one game, Benny Long, is now the greatest pickup of all time and a steal at pick 25 or whatever it was. Compare that to last year or earlier in this season and he was our worst pickup and a terrible selection by Trout and friends. "Some" posters do some massive 180's at times on here. Lol.

Long was and always will be a good selection at his pick number in the draft.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Sanctorum
Club Player

There were moments in the game where he looked distinctly like Nicky Winmar - physically he is only 1 cm shorter than "Elvis" and at age 20 is only in his infancy in the AFL. Reckon he will become a star, has the footy smarts and just needs to get more games under his belt to develop his potential.

I don't understand why the Saints don't recruit more ATSI players. So many of them have the X Factor - the ability to take "speccies", break lines and turn games with their sheer brilliance. So I am naturally delighted to see "Bennelong" improving with each game.

The essence of philosophy is that a man should so live that his happiness shall depend as little as possible on external things.

"No man is free who is not master of himself."

Epictetus, Greek Stoic Philiosopher (c. 50 – c. 135 AD)
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote:There were moments in the game where he looked distinctly like Nicky Winmar - physically he is only 1 cm shorter than "Elvis" and at age 20 is only in his infancy in the AFL. Reckon he will become a star, has the footy smarts and just needs to get more games under his belt to develop his potential.
Thought the same thing myself re Winmar, but was hesitant to mention it as it's a big rap to carry. Moves like Nicky and hits as hard. The prototype modern forward flanker?

Saint wagga
Club Player

This is great news for the club and a big congrats to the kid for pulling off some great things last weekend. I really hope he goes on to become a great AFL player for us. I will hold my critiscm/praise for now because I've gone him very hard last year and after the first 3 games this year. Actually I've gone the match committee for selecting a player that didn't look ready at AFl standard. So for sticking with him selectors, I'll give you a pat on the back with the aside that it's probably the only thing they have got right this year and I really mean that...the coaching/footy dept have made blue after blue this year across the board. It's actually been a very interesting character observation in Richo's decent into the desperate/emotionally volatile coach with his head on the chopping block.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:This joint is so funny sometimes. In the space of one game, Benny Long, is now the greatest pickup of all time and a steal at pick 25 or whatever it was. Compare that to last year or earlier in this season and he was our worst pickup and a terrible selection by Trout and friends. "Some" posters do some massive 180's at times on here. Lol.

Long was and always will be a good selection at his pick number in the draft.
Gold parkey, was just thinking the same thing as I read this :D

Ben was unfairly selected round one and a dud and in the space of a few weeks has become the next Chris Judd.
Guess we are all guilty of knocking to quickly or pumping up the tyres prematurely.

In reality Ben is starting to show why we swooped on him with #25 as he has some tricks including a bit of magic, some speed and aggression.
Could develop into a pretty good player in the next couple of years.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.