Paddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paddy

Locket started in the pocket and not at ff.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

At the time Wasn't he 17 - 130lb and played in era when the Backman actually tried to kill you?

Seeya
Rocket
Club Player

McCartin looks overweight. He may have lost some puppy fat pre-Xmas then did his ankle and put back on.

Read a comment re Brereton saying he doesn’t use his body. Totally correct. Needs to be coached.

Question is - will Richo stock with him or bring Battle in ? I’d be playing Battle, he looks like the type of player that would do better at a higher level. Kicks ball well, leads without just pointing (what our forwards do regularly).

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

If battle is to come
In, which I’d like to see, I think it should be for Bruce.

Paddy has been far from our worst. The ball has hardly made it into the fwd 50 for Christ’s sake. When it does it’s bog awful

Give paddy a month eg 2 more if he’s still averaging less than 10 disposals then drop him

#1 Ryder fan
spert
Saintsational Legend

I saw Lockett in his younger days, he had that something special that Paddy hasn't got, and used his bulk a lot better.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:Paddy has been far from our worst. The ball has hardly made it into the fwd 50 for Christ’s sake. When it does it’s bog awful
Oh come on, the delivery into the fwd 50 to Paddy is no worse than was provided to Nick Riewoldt!

Oh, that's right :cry:

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

After watching the first 2 games my opinion of Paddy has changed.
I don't know if it's the result of changing the way he plays to avoid the 'concussion issue' but he doesn't appear to me to be 'hitting the packs' like he did previously.
It's almost like he's playing a 'cautious' style of game.
In the past I, and many others, marvelled at his ability to 'crash' into the pack and cause a spillage at the very least.
Now he is often and easily out marked.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Dr Spaceman wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:Paddy has been far from our worst. The ball has hardly made it into the fwd 50 for Christ’s sake. When it does it’s bog awful
Oh come on, the delivery into the fwd 50 to Paddy is no worse than was provided to Nick Riewoldt!

i read somewhere that we had only 7 entries into F50 in the second half.
Is that true, or fake news?

Certainly seemed that way...
Stifled all game

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Crossy66
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Stifled all game
No forward would have a chance the way the ball is coming down so far this year. Either way, Paddy needs a run of games , so should put this thread to bed for 6 - 8 rounds.
BTW, the comparisons to Lockett are futile. In part because he was probably the greatest ever, in part because it was a different time and a different game.

I sometimes wonder how Plugger would go in todays game. I still think he would dominate, he would just have lost around 20k's to do it.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:After watching the first 2 games my opinion of Paddy has changed.
I don't know if it's the result of changing the way he plays to avoid the 'concussion issue' but he doesn't appear to me to be 'hitting the packs' like he did previously.
In the past I, and many others, marvelled at his ability to 'crash' into the pack and cause a spillage at the very least.
Definitely, MM. Look back at his highlights from 2015-6. Last year really cruelled him. His confidence seems shot.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Drake Huggins
Club Player

Crossy66 wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Stifled all game
No forward would have a chance the way the ball is coming down so far this year. Either way, Paddy needs a run of games , so should put this thread to bed for 6 - 8 rounds.
BTW, the comparisons to Lockett are futile. In part because he was probably the greatest ever, in part because it was a different time and a different game.

I sometimes wonder how Plugger would go in todays game. I still think he would dominate, he would just have lost around 20k's to do it.
Have you seen him lately, Crossy?. Looks like a slightly less creepy version of Peter Garrett. Almost unrecognisable. Down to 93 kilos, similar weight to Roo. Down 34 kilograms from his heaviest when playing for us. Reckon he'd still be the greatest if he was playing today.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Yeah righto...

Lets just compare him to the best forward in the game's history.

Lets just get some games into him first can we?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:After watching the first 2 games my opinion of Paddy has changed.

This is a good observation. I can't blame Paddy for changing his style in light of what he's been through, but if he can't impact the contest what use is he? A key fwds role is as much to cause a spillage/contest as it is to mark and kick goals. Right now he's doing neither.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Paddy should study some old tapes of Peter Hudson - and learn to use his "ass"et the same way. Use his lower-body strength and practise leaning forward and thrusting his butt out (and back) at the right moment and in one motion - just before the marking contest - to push his opponent back and away from the drop of the ball. There'd be a couple of times each match - depending on how the ball comes in - where this technique would work for him.

portosaint
Club Player

I know this thread is just about done to death, but I watched this video this morning. Yes, highlights can be deceiving.

This was 2016. Paddy played 11 games between rd 7 - 17, before that injury against the Tigers. Clearly his best year which happens to coincide with his most consistent run of games for the club.

He showed something. More than once. Much can be said for continuity and confidence. He lacks both right now. He might not be worthy of number 1, we all know this, but he can play the game.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Indeed, portosaint. I was hopeful after 2016 that he was progressing, if somewhat slowly. 2017 was a disaster. The concussions,coupled with the extended break in the second half of the year seems to have drained him of all confidence. Some of the management of him from the club has been puzzling and I don't think has helped him. When you throw in his difficulties with diabetes and some straight out rotten luck and it's little wonder he hasn't come on.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Membrey going under the radar... Never seen a poorer game from him. Dropped about 5 marks he would normally swallow.

Watching the replay... McCartin good around the ball, couple of tackles (and holding the ball), deft loose ball pick ups and handballs out..... just drops the easy marks for some reason, looks like nerves. Just seems to lack intensity and playing careful... hopefully things turn around.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote:
stonecold wrote:Petracca BOG, PIGSARSE, just hangs out the back, gets the Goal Goggles on and forgets to be a teamman!

Paddy Whackers, f*** off!!!!!
OK LF, AFL brings in mid season trading and Melbourne offer a direct trade Petracca for Paddy.
Yes or No?
Would we be able to swap just our midfield for theirs? That'd do. Jesse Hogan is a midfielder. :wink:

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
portosaint
Club Player

Drake Huggins wrote:Indeed, portosaint. I was hopeful after 2016 that he was progressing, if somewhat slowly. 2017 was a disaster. The concussions,coupled with the extended break in the second half of the year seems to have drained him of all confidence. Some of the management of him from the club has been puzzling and I don't think has helped him. When you throw in his difficulties with diabetes and some straight out rotten luck and it's little wonder he hasn't come on.
Most definitely mate. Poor management is a huge issue. Our abundance of players that fail to comprehend kicking to our forwards advantage doesn't help either. Paddy isn't the only player suffering

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:Indeed, portosaint. I was hopeful after 2016 that he was progressing, if somewhat slowly. 2017 was a disaster. The concussions,coupled with the extended break in the second half of the year seems to have drained him of all confidence. Some of the management of him from the club has been puzzling and I don't think has helped him. When you throw in his difficulties with diabetes and some straight out rotten luck and it's little wonder he hasn't come on.
In early 2017 we had a priority to play an unfit legend and bask in the glory of his greatness with every touch he had, no matter whether he was injured or not because it woud always bring a cheer for the crowd and everyone loves seeing a legend run out on the ground.

In other words, we were playing an unfit guy who was on his last legs and was probably never going to be part of another GF team, and keeping another guy out of the team by playing him in the magoos. The guy in the magoos was the guy who we recruited to be the spearhead of our next tilt at the big one. The funny thing, and sad thing for the future prospects of the club, was that the main reason for keeping Paddy from playing in the early rounds of 2017, was that he was unfit. See the hypocrisy and irony?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
In early 2017 we had a priority to play an unfit legend and bask in the glory of his greatness with every touch he had, no matter whether he was injured or not because it woud always bring a cheer for the crowd and everyone loves seeing a legend run out on the ground.

In other words, we were playing an unfit guy who was on his last legs and was probably never going to be part of another GF team, and keeping another guy out of the team by playing him in the magoos. The guy in the magoos was the guy who we recruited to be the spearhead of our next tilt at the big one. The funny thing, and sad thing for the future prospects of the club, was that the main reason for keeping Paddy from playing in the early rounds of 2017, was that he was unfit. See the hypocrisy and irony?
Paddy had his chance last year, and we he did he was dreadful. Roo was definitely below par last year as well. Not sure playing Paddy when he was so out of sorts would have changed much.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

portosaint wrote:

I know this thread is just about done to death, but I watched this video this morning. Yes, highlights can be deceiving.

This was 2016. Paddy played 11 games between rd 7 - 17, before that injury against the Tigers. Clearly his best year which happens to coincide with his most consistent run of games for the club.

He showed something. More than once. Much can be said for continuity and confidence. He lacks both right now. He might not be worthy of number 1, we all know this, but he can play the game.
Stop making sense.

There is no room for it on this thread. Only reactionary knee jerking and tinfoil hat conspiracies regarding coaching methods..

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saint6709
Club Player

Spinner wrote:Membrey going under the radar... Never seen a poorer game from him. Dropped about 5 marks he would normally swallow.

Watching the replay... McCartin good around the ball, couple of tackles (and holding the ball), deft loose ball pick ups and handballs out..... just drops the easy marks for some reason, looks like nerves. Just seems to lack intensity and playing careful... hopefully things turn around.
Not sure if it's already been posted but I want to see him come out in a helmet and start having a crack - I agree "he Just seems to lack intensity and playing careful... " it's probably because he is probably thinking he is one concussion away from retirement - he needs to get some confidence back - get him in a helmet - then get him fit - and tell to try and keep his feet

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Watching the replay... McCartin good around the ball, couple of tackles (and holding the ball), deft loose ball pick ups and handballs out..... just drops the easy marks for some reason, looks like nerves. Just seems to lack intensity and playing careful... hopefully things turn around.
Really good post Spinner...
I’ve read a lot of posts this week questioning Paddy’s work rate which has been somewhat mystifying to me. What do you think?

As far as marks go, IMO it’s a technique thing... he keeps trying to mark with his hands directly above his head and is leaving the ball way to open to the defence. Reckon he’s playing like he’s bigger than his opponents

congorozides
Club Player

Battle is still only 19.