Saints v bears match thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

barneyboyz
Club Player

Re: Saints v bears match thread

iwantmeseats wrote:Jesus. What a bunch of shot trucks these two teams are. I’m ashamed I payed and turned up for it. f***.
I’ll give you the option right now. If you are a general member, I’ll meet you somewhere at a mutually convenient place and pay you back for the membership. You just have to spend it on any other club and prove your attendance at their games in October. You still reckon we’re shot trucks? All three sides had a real crack today, and we won :D

Seriously though, how much do I owe you?

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
saynta
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:Finger pointing...blaming umpires....not the actual problem. Problem is coaching.....
Says you. Not me.

Club Player

A few comments on the optimistic note and less so to follow.
there were glimpses of what we can do, but too much of the stagnant sideways movement without purpose. For the two we know less well - Long shows a bit- quick, clever but needs composure (how common this will be said for many of our more seasoned ), Clarke was excellent in my opinion and does have composure and skills.
Billings and Acres have stepped up
Carlisle and even Brown solid, Roberton looking like having a year like the last, Armo got a good run.

Billy is not the answer, we need more courage to take the game on , McCartin poor but should be given a good run given how much we have invested in him,

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
felix
Club Player

barneyboyz wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:Jesus. What a bunch of shot trucks these two teams are. I’m ashamed I payed and turned up for it. f***.
I’ll give you the option right now. If you are a general member, I’ll meet you somewhere at a mutually convenient place and pay you back for the membership. You just have to spend it on any other club and prove your attendance at their games in October. You still reckon we’re shot trucks? All three sides had a real crack today, and we won :D

Seriously though, how much do I owe you?
Support or get deported

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Bunch of spuds. Nothing surer tham bottom 4. And desreved.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

put money on The Lions for the spoon now.

David-Lee
Club Player

Well my incredibly professional and highly sought after opinion on our first game:
1. Big issue in the ruck. We need to find an answer. Not Battle because we need him to develop in the CHF role with minor ruck. Longer and Hickey both have something special and have 100% shown it in their differing styles- but either they are mentally not up or physically since the 3rd man rule change.

The clearances: Ross the Boss (c*nt that he is) had our clearances purring. I dont give a damn who it is but we have to get players who can crumb and clear.

Defense: at times Brown sprinted and knocked away sure marks, Carlisle kept up with the lead and spoiled, Geary chased, Roberton sprinted to open up and carry, Webster wrestled and actually got the ball to ground but it was last years wooden spoon and although it wasnt the defenses fault the damn ball kept inbounding - they seemed to struggle to gain dominance and kicking out oc trouble was sketchy in big periods of time.
Roberton had some nice moves- Geary chase, harass and tackle nice- Koby dives reckless to save a kick - brilliant.
So, some disapointments against the weakest team but good signs...

The forwards- well I can say what I think about their futures but we all know it already- paddy got a goal and tried to present but for a guy with footy smarts why cant he led up and take a mark without getting hacked or the ball bouncing off his hands? Same for Bruce. Membrey ran alot tonight and he is actually a decent asset as is Bruce.The smaller forwards were average with more crumbs than my shirt when Im eating in bed but not great return. Poor kicking.

Mids- Stevens nice running, saved the game especialluly crumbing where our small forwards should have been. Milne would never miss a crumb...he might c**k it up once he got it but if a crumb fell from the table...he devoured it. That worries me as I dont know if our small forwards dont have it or haven't learned it.

The clearances...this really s*** me. We actually have the inside grunt to rip heads off and get the ball kicking or handballing it out...but lack zip to get it quickly anywhere.

I didnt see any inprovenent in our goal kicking. I was very pissed off! The club knows the scoring errors cost us a final berth.

Overall I give the game a C+.
I was excited by Ben Long- we really do have something there!
Last edited by David-Lee on Sat 24 Mar 2018 8:01pm, edited 2 times in total.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Got the 4 points. Watching this St Kilda team play is what I imagine child birth would feel like. Steven really was great today.

Trixilver
Club Player

Am I the only one who thinks Gresham is way more damaging as a small forward than a mid?

felix
Club Player

David-Lee wrote:Well my incredibly professional and highly sought after opinion on our first game:
1. Big issue in the ruck. We need to find an answer. Not Battle because we need him to develop in the CHF role with minor ruck. Longer and Hickey both have something special and have 100% shown it in their differing styles- but either they are mentally not up or physically since the 3rd man rule change.

The clearances: Ross the Boss (c*nt that he is) had our clearances purring. I dont give a damn who it is but we have to get players who can crumb and clear.

Defense: at times Brown sprinted and knocked away sure marks, Carlisle kept up with the lead and spoiled, Geary chased, Roberton sprinted to open up and carry, Webster wrestled and actually got the ball to ground but it was last years wooden spoon and although it wasnt the defenses fault the damn ball kept inbounding - they seemed to struggle to gain dominance and kicking out oc trouble was sketchy in big periods of time.
Roberton had some nice moves- Geary chase, harass and tackle nice- Koby dives reckless to save a kick - brilliant.

The forwards- well I can say what I think about their futures but we all know it already- paddy got a goal and tried to present but for a guy with footy smarts why cant he led up and take a mark without getting hacked or the ball bouncing off his hands? Same for Bruce. Membrey ran alot tonight and he is actually a decent asset as is Bruce.The smaller forwards were average with more crumbs than my shirt when Im eating in bed but not great return. Poor kicking.

Mids- Stevens nice running, saved the game especialluly crumbing where our small forwards should have been. Milne would never miss a crumb...he might c**k it up once he got it but if a crumb fell from the table...he devoured it. That worries me as I dont know if our small forwards dont have it or haven't learned it.

The clearances...this really s*** me. We actually have the inside grunt to rip heads off and get the ball kicking or handballing it out...but lack zip to get it quickly anywhere.

I didnt see any inprovenent in our goal kicking. I was very pissed off! The club knows the scoring errors cost us a final berth.

Are you drunk ...long did some good 1% ers we need to see 5 % ers. We lifted when we needed to. All those crumbs your talking about are making me hungry.

felix
Club Player

David-Lee wrote:Well my incredibly professional and highly sought after opinion on our first game:

Are you drunk ...long did some good 1% ers we need to see 5 % ers. We lifted when we needed to. All those crumbs your talking about are making me hungry.

felix
Club Player

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Round one to Richo.
Hickey or Marshall need to ruck next week for sure against North. Billy gave his all today and he was up against Martin, but the clearances were our weakness today. It may not have been Billy's fault but this needs to be addressed for the Good Friday game. Maybe tag team with another ruckman to give him a chop out , but we have to win against North. Must win.
Worth going today just to see Long's goal, and Hunter's first game.
Steven the difference today.
Charlie Cameron is a jet.
Billings is a beauty. Gresham fantastic.
Nice to see Bruce finish with 3 majors.
I thought Roberton was very good too.
Paddy will improve if he can string some games together.
Lions have inproved no doubt, but I am still glad that Richo decided to go with the inexperienced lineup today just to see how the boys would go.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sat 24 Mar 2018 9:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

the lions were a man down, one of their best, for most of the game.
we got smashed in clearances, crunched in contested possessions, our inside mids were beaten most of the day, bar steven. our last quarter hid some of those as we closed cp down (but still lost) and players lifted possessions. steele and sinclair especially disappointing. koby may have done enough in the last to keep his spot, but needs to get involved when the heat is on.
happy with a win, but not so happy with the win - well short of the standard on display elsewhere this week.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Take out Jack Steven and Billings and we lose that game.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Bloody No-Sayers, your all out early this year!!!!!

Making a long season for yourselves!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
shrodes
SS Life Member

stonecold wrote:Bloody No-Sayers, your all out early this year!!!!!

Interested to hear your thoughts on Billy today as you are one of his staunchest supporters. How do you think he went?

stonecold
SS Life Member

shrodes wrote:

Interested to hear your thoughts on Billy today as you are one of his staunchest supporters. How do you think he went?
Just average, all entitled to a quiet game, particularly with limited preseason, still our best option by a long way, selection speaks for itself!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
takeaway
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Take out Jack Steven and Billings and we lose that game.
Take out Cameron and say, Beams & Bris don't win either.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I thought Billy tried hard all afternoon, but certainly struggled. Stefan Martin is very handy and I don't know why Melbourne let him go so easily to be honest. On one occasion on the wing someone handballed to him when he was jogging past which was definitely not the right option, and it ended up with the ball being turned over in very short order and a shot on goal to Brisbane. Not much of an influence around the ground and beaten at the stoppages, so based on what I saw today at the ground I think Hickey or Marshall should come in, and perhaps we try to play a traditional two ruckman structure, with Billy resting on the bench when Hickey/Marshall is rucking, because today Brisbane got hold of us at the stoppages.
North played in a cyclone tonight on a very heavy track in Cairns chasing the Gold Coast Suns youngsters in a real slog for four quarters and I think this could be a lucky break for us next Friday as they may tire in the second half. We can exploit this by playing a more mobile ruck duo I think.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
The_Dud wrote:
saynta wrote:Anyone saying this game is being umpired fairly knows jack s*** about AFL rules.
:roll:
Yes, that means you Rolly eyes.
I get the feeling you’re one of those experts who screams ‘baaaaaall’ at every single tackle :roll:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
elizabethr
Club Player

The banality and triteness in this thread is palpable!

nothing to say
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy says hi :)

Myron Gaines
Club Player

No easy games in this competition. Brisbane have an extremely talent list & their midfield lead by Beames & Zorko is very, very good. They’ll surprise a few teams this year.

Obviously quite a few things to improve on for next week but there were a number of positives. A good hit out in the end.

I think Gresham, Acres & Billings will be considered in our best 5 players by years end. Steven is obviously a jet & barometer. Ross consistent & reliable. Probably need a few others such as Steele & Sinclair to come on a bit more if we are to play finals.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Round one to Richo.
Pleasing. Watched a 1:45 clip of his presser on AFL.com. 7 pleasing and positives.