pace is what it will be about this year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Club Player

pace is what it will be about this year

watching the Richmond/Carlton game (come on I bet you all did too, first game of the year and all) the striking thing was the pace of ball movement and the running to create multiple options for the ball carrier.
we have been a slow team, often capable of quick ball movement ourselves but with few truly quick players. I suspect we will see if slow one sided players like Dunstan and Armo have been left vulnerable. Stevens and Steele also not quick. I suspect we will not see them all in the one side unless it gets wet.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: pace is what it will be about this year

Seemed to me that the game was all about capitalising on opposition turnovers and bad decisions

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

6621104 wrote:watching the Richmond/Carlton game (come on I bet you all did too, first game of the year and all) the striking thing was the pace of ball movement and the running to create multiple options for the ball carrier.
we have been a slow team, often capable of quick ball movement ourselves but with few truly quick players. I suspect we will see if slow one sided players like Dunstan and Armo have been left vulnerable. Stevens and Steele also not quick. I suspect we will not see them all in the one side unless it gets wet.
They say the 1st round is akin to finals in its pressure and speed. Both teams did play at break neck speeds which the Saints wouldnt be able to match. But you would think it will slow down with teams controlling possession as the year progresses.

The Tigers & Bulldogs won flags playing that way, we just have to find a way to stop them when they run and carry if we want to be competitive.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Yes, I had the same perception that pace and running was everything last night. Opening up the game was the key.

That may well be a key factor as to why Dunstan was left out and Long came in.

"Delivery" is still the major factor to success in my view. If you kick well to position, you control the game and it's mighty hard for the opposition to clear the ball.

Tomorrow will be very interesting. Best wishes to Hunter Clarke for a great introduction to AFL.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Junction Oval wrote:Yes, I had the same perception that pace and running was everything last night. Opening up the game was the key.

That may well be a key factor as to why Dunstan was left out and Long came in.

"Delivery" is still the major factor to success in my view. If you kick well to position, you control the game and it's mighty hard for the opposition to clear the ball.

Tomorrow will be very interesting. Best wishes to Hunter Clarke for a great introduction to AFL.

"Delivery".

Wouldn't you love to be on the end of some of Dusty Martin's tracer bullets!

Saint supporter since '62
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

This is why we drafted Coffield and Clark. Both are quick and will be moved into the midfield on a FT basis eventually. When they come on, they will inject alot of speed into the Saints engine room. They will make Thomas The Tank Engine look slow.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We can’t match any of the teams that have played so far for speed.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:We can’t match any of the teams that have played so far for speed.
It's gone up a notch or three.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

first two games have been fast and furious - all teams hit the ground running. if we can play similar footy i'll be happy.
don't think we're capable of it but i'll be happy.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Drake Huggins
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:This is why we drafted Coffield and Clark. Both are quick and will be moved into the midfield on a FT basis eventually. When they come on, they will inject alot of speed into the Saints engine room. They will make Thomas The Tank Engine look slow.
We're The Fat Controller of the competition when it comes to pace.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

2009 seems like so long ago now but nothing has changed, it’s all about pace, which we just never seem to have..

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Bit of pressure and next tuesday work might level the field somewhat.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Ignore round 1 re the way the game is played. It’s a warmup round for all teams. Round 2 onwards it can change.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

the thing I noticed was the ability of the cheats young blokes to be able to dispose of the ball successfully while under pressure..something our blokes can't do.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:the thing I noticed was the ability of the cheats young blokes to be able to dispose of the ball successfully while under pressure..something our blokes can't do.

They also played a team with half a dozen of their starting 22 out, and 2 of their important players from last season having left the club. That's 8 out of their grand final starting lineup.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

So far, nothing has changed from 2017. Richmond won the GF because they kicked the ball much more often than they handpassed -211 kicks to 128 handpasses. Adelaide, on the other hand, had a much higher percentage of handpasses (197 kicks to 150 handpasses). On Thursday, Richmond had many more kicks than handpasses -207 kicks to 133 handpssses, whereas Carlton had 207 to 169. Last night, Adelaide once again went the handpass route -204 kicks , 183 handpasses - while Essendon were slightly better with 214/177.

Kicking the ball down field to a teammate moves the ball much more quickly than handpassing it. That's obvious. Alas, if your pinpoint pass goes straight to the opposition, then the ball will speed in the opposite direction, which is why I say nothing has changed from 2017 or any other year. Kicking skills remain the secret. Get it and kick it to a teammate and you are half way home. We have also seen that field kicking skills have nothing to do with goal kicking skills for reasons that still allude me. But, it's been the case for as long as I have been watching footy - almost 60 years.

Looking at our team today, it is more skillful than it was for most of last year with a couple of the perennial "ball butchers" out of the team. We are still very one sided, but there's not much we can do about that. In 2004, we had half the team who could kick both feet. In 2007, Geelong had 60% - no wonder they won flags. And of course, we should have done better. No team is anywhere near that today - an interesting reflection on skill development over the last decade.

If, at the end of the game today, our kick to handball ratio is like Richmond's then we will have won. If it's like Adelaide's then we will have to hope that Brisbane is as bad.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I'll settle for skill

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Bit of pressure and next tuesday work might level the field somewhat.
Absolutely. A bit of vitamin c is in order.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

perfectionist wrote:So far, nothing has changed from 2017. Richmond won the GF because they kicked the ball much more often than they handpassed -211 kicks to 128 handpasses. Adelaide, on the other hand, had a much higher percentage of handpasses (197 kicks to 150 handpasses). On Thursday, Richmond had many more kicks than handpasses -207 kicks to 133 handpssses, whereas Carlton had 207 to 169. Last night, Adelaide once again went the handpass route -204 kicks , 183 handpasses - while Essendon were slightly better with 214/177.

Kicking the ball down field to a teammate moves the ball much more quickly than handpassing it. That's obvious. Alas, if your pinpoint pass goes straight to the opposition, then the ball will speed in the opposite direction, which is why I say nothing has changed from 2017 or any other year. Kicking skills remain the secret. Get it and kick it to a teammate and you are half way home. We have also seen that field kicking skills have nothing to do with goal kicking skills for reasons that still allude me. But, it's been the case for as long as I have been watching footy - almost 60 years.

Looking at our team today, it is more skillful than it was for most of last year with a couple of the perennial "ball butchers" out of the team. We are still very one sided, but there's not much we can do about that. In 2004, we had half the team who could kick both feet. In 2007, Geelong had 60% - no wonder they won flags. And of course, we should have done better. No team is anywhere near that today - an interesting reflection on skill development over the last decade.

If, at the end of the game today, our kick to handball ratio is like Richmond's then we will have won. If it's like Adelaide's then we will have to hope that Brisbane is as bad.
We're definitely a kicking team, that was obvious in the JLT. Unlike many, I'm happy with our gameplan, the key is execution.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

if we're a kicking team why play a handballer (stevens) in place of a kicker (dunstan), who also delivers far more inside fifties, far more goal assists, and twice as many goals?
Last edited by desertsaint on Sat 24 Mar 2018 3:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Vader
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:if we're a kicking team why play a handballer (steven) in place of a kicker (dunstan), who also delivers far more inside fifties, far more goal assists, and twice as many goals?
Because Jack is our best player.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Darth Vader wrote:
desertsaint wrote:if we're a kicking team why play a handballer (steven) in place of a kicker (dunstan), who also delivers far more inside fifties, far more goal assists, and twice as many goals?
Because Jack is our best player.
oops - edited.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:Image
:D :D :D

Having watched the dopers crows game and the speed at which it was played, we've got no hope.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
congorozides
Club Player

Watching games this year he OP was on the money.

Besides Steven and Coffield we really lack pace.