pace is what it will be about this year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: pace is what it will be about this year

Pace is the most overrated aspect of AFL. Good for a few highlights and for Bruce to jizz his pants, that’s about it. Plus the difference between a ‘fast’ and ’slow’ midfielder really isn’t that much.

Decision making and disposal skills are much more important, as the ball moves much quicker through the air than it ever could in someone’s hands. Those 2 aspects are what we should be looking at first with players, and if they can run fast as well then that’s just a bonus.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Drake Huggins
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:Pace is the most overrated aspect of AFL. Good for a few highlights and for Bruce to jizz his pants, that’s about it. Plus the difference between a ‘fast’ and ’slow’ midfielder really isn’t that much.

Decision making and disposal skills are much more important, as the ball moves much quicker through the air than it ever could in someone’s hands. Those 2 aspects are what we should be looking at first with players, and if they can run fast as well then that’s just a bonus.
A
Too right, TD. There is an argument about breakaway speed from stoppages, but Hawthorn and Sydney have proved over time that good ball use is far more important. Neither team is loaded with speedsters, yet seemed to have won flags and stayed in the top 8 for most of the past decade.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Disagree. It's not about break away speed but our guys are so slow they constantly go sideways and backwards until we invite a turnover. Especially in the back half.
The crows usually handball off to Laird or Atkins in their back half who are fast and runnit out of danger.
Hawks have plenty of quick players. Isaac Smith and breust. Poppy and rioli. Brad hill played in three Hawks flags. Now they have Impey.
But i agree kicking is more important than speed.
Our blokes are slow and can't kick either.
We are also unfit.
A horrendous combination.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Disagree. It's not about break away speed but our guys are so slow they constantly go sideways and backwards until we invite a turnover. Especially in the back half.
The crows usually handball off to Laird or Atkins in their back half who are fast and runnit out of danger.
Hawks have plenty of quick players. Isaac Smith and breust. Poppy and rioli. Brad hill played in three Hawks flags. Now they have Impey.
But i agree kicking is more important than speed.
Our blokes are slow and can't kick either.
We are also unfit.
A horrendous combination.
You agree kicking is more important than speed. You lament and ponder St Kilda's weaknesses.

You name guys that have have all played their part in three flags. What does it all boil down to Con?

I reckon it comes back to coaching, game plan, and perhaps the most important foundation to success is list management. Trout needs to go for a start. In my opinion, success starts with recruiting the best players available. Our recruiting department has failed. No point having a guy in the team that is fast if he cannot kick and is a poor decision maker