Robbo's Top 50 indicates why we aren't close to being a powe

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Robbo's Top 50 indicates why we aren't close to being a powe

I know plenty will say that Robbo is a goose, and to a degree I'm probably one of them. However if you check out his article you see that NOT ONE Saints player made his top 50 players of the AFL. NOT ONE!! We are the only club that doesn't have a player in it.

It's hard to disagree tbh. Possibly an argument can be made for Jack Steven who had a poor year by his standards last year - or Seb Ross, who looked like he was going to take his game to the next level, but plateaued out a bit twds the back half of the year.

Sadly it appears guys like Savage and Roberton are the next players to step up. Now don't get me wrong, I want all our guys to step up, but 2 x HBF's are not going to get the job done. Both are good triers and I admire the fact that both have managed to play great footy in 2017.

If we are to be any good though, we need guys like Billings, Jack Steven, Carlisle, Gresham and possibly Ross to all feature in articles like this. We need guys like Acres, Dunstan and one of Paddy Bruce or Members to be pushing for a spot. No use having a 3 prong attack if all prongs are blunt. One of them has to step up like Roo did so that the other two don't get attention and can also thrive. No use all 3 being decidedly average. We need a guy like Goddard cementing a spot and pushing Brown out. We need young Marshall by the end of the year playing like Grundy did a few years ago.

We are a club brimming with potential, but right now, it's unfulfilled.

I read articles like Robbos, and it's very easy to get defensive, to deride the author and kid ourselves as to where we are at. I read lots of posts about 2019 being our year. Strangely I read lots of posts in 2016 that 2018 was to be our year. The truth is that the time for excuses is over. This current crop of players need to step up now.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Robbo's Top 50 indicates why we aren't close to being a

I think this is great because when we have 5 players in the top 50 it means we will be a force. To be middle of the table with " average" players means there is huge scope for improvement.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Drake Huggins
Club Player

Ross was stiff to miss out, but your points are well made, moods.make or break year coming up.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Robbo is just like some moron that you'd meet in a pub, I wouldn't consider him an expert analyst. It's not a very imaginative list either.

We already know we are short on elite players, but I think Billings is heading towards it and had a better year than Heeney last year.

Roberton and Ross were in the All Australian squad so must be considered close to elite for their positions.

I would choose a fit Jack Steven over most of Neale, Gibbs, Duncan, Sidebottom, Wingard, Crouch, Merrett, Shuey, Greene…

DJ Higgins
Club Player

I only slightly disagree with Robbo. Roberton and Ross were in the AA squad so should they not be in the top 50? Even if they were they would be high 40's so makes little difference like the AFL top 50 (Ross 43)

I like 2019 more than 2018 and I will be hoping to make a real push for finals. I agree we have had potential in a lot of players but not many have lived up to expectations. In saying that some e.g. Savage and Roberton look like exceeding them this year while others will fall by the way side this year and free up our list.

This year lose the over handballing, have multiple game plans when plan A isn't working, stop continually long bombing it into 50.

Stuv needs help in the middle and doesn't do well with a tag so that is our biggest concern for me. Freeman was a gamble that failed so we need to address this asap but most likely it will be in this years draft.
I doubt we will get a big fish in the free agency period as other clubs seem more likely to win a flag than us at present so we need to grow from within. But if we draft more HBF's this year I will be livid.

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

It is hard to make an absolute case for changing the top 50 as he has written. I would question Sidebottom and Wines inclusion if we were to get a Ross or Roberton into the side. Jack Steven 2017 was not the stellar year we know he can produce so hard to make a case for him. I think there is also a question mark from the outside as to how Jack Steven handles a really hard tag.

Roberton had an ordinary last month in 2017 otherwise he was a lock for AA and this list.

As for Joe Daniher at 8... spare me, especially ahead of WCE Kennedy!

fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Moods
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:It is hard to make an absolute case for changing the top 50 as he has written. I would question Sidebottom and Wines inclusion if we were to get a Ross or Roberton into the side. Jack Steven 2017 was not the stellar year we know he can produce so hard to make a case for him. I think there is also a question mark from the outside as to how Jack Steven handles a really hard tag.

Roberton had an ordinary last month in 2017 otherwise he was a lock for AA and this list.

fqf
I think the list is a predictive list not retrospective. So Robbo is saying that at the end of 2018 Daniher will be #8. I may be wrong but that's how I think it's meant to work. If it is I can see why he placed him at 8, as Daniher looks ready to explode. In fact looking at the bombers, they have 3-4 players on the list so they should probably be doing better.

My post, which I've posted previously, is the fact that we as a supporter group need someone to get excited about, to boast about in footy discussions. Of course team success is the ultimate boast, but individual players get supporters up and about. Right now there's not one player we can genuinely say, hand on heart, that we're excited about. Like the doggies do with The Bont, or Bombers with Joe or Merrett. Swans with Heeney or Mills,

Billings is the closest and I'm praying that Dixon is able to sort out his goal kicking woes. Gresh looks capable of anything but plays a position currently where it's nigh on impossible to be consistent (FP) and needs to transition into midfield.

Coffield and Hunter look beauties, but are way too young to have that pressure put on them.

Personally I always had (and still do) high hopes for Acres. He's got that big body that can burst games open. He showed glimpses last year and I'm really hoping that this year is his break out year.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Nothing much exciting on our list- some good workers, an occasional flash of brilliance, but too many just play at one level. We needed a few more to step up last season and we may have made the eight, but a few went the other way- is anything going to change this year? Probably just as much to do with Richo's game plans, or lack thereof which is not really letting our players develop fully in their roles.

Otherwise, as far as Robbo's predictions go, I think Danihir will be less effective this season as opposition coaches work him out.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

If it's a predictive list he must have us in the bottom four in his ladder.
I don't disagree with it based on last year. Roberton unlucky. By end of this season I would hope to see Roberton, Carlisle, and Billings in there and Steven returned. Bit hard to expect midfield youngers like Dunstan, Acres, and Steele to make top fifty given how many class mids there are in the comp and they can't pick them all. By end of 2019 i'd like two of them in serious consideration, along with Gresh. I felt Ross plateaued as well - i feel we have seen his best, so I'm hoping he can maintain it, as it's better than i had hoped for. If he is going to improve it will be through better disposal.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Moods wrote:I know plenty will say that Robbo is a goose, and to a degree I'm probably one of them. However if you check out his article you see that NOT ONE Saints player made his top 50 players of the AFL. NOT ONE!! We are the only club that doesn't have a player in it.

It's hard to disagree tbh. Possibly an argument can be made for Jack Steven who had a poor year by his standards last year - or Seb Ross, who looked like he was going to take his game to the next level, but plateaued out a bit twds the back half of the year.

Sadly it appears guys like Savage and Roberton are the next players to step up. Now don't get me wrong, I want all our guys to step up, but 2 x HBF's are not going to get the job done. Both are good triers and I admire the fact that both have managed to play great footy in 2017.

If we are to be any good though, we need guys like Billings, Jack Steven, Carlisle, Gresham and possibly Ross to all feature in articles like this. We need guys like Acres, Dunstan and one of Paddy Bruce or Members to be pushing for a spot. No use having a 3 prong attack if all prongs are blunt. One of them has to step up like Roo did so that the other two don't get attention and can also thrive. No use all 3 being decidedly average. We need a guy like Goddard cementing a spot and pushing Brown out. We need young Marshall by the end of the year playing like Grundy did a few years ago.

We are a club brimming with potential, but right now, it's unfulfilled.

I read articles like Robbos, and it's very easy to get defensive, to deride the author and kid ourselves as to where we are at. I read lots of posts about 2019 being our year. Strangely I read lots of posts in 2016 that 2018 was to be our year. The truth is that the time for excuses is over. This current crop of players need to step up now.
Good post. We have plenty great kids at a B grade level. They need to move into the A grade bracket.

Bit weird that Ross and Roberton didn't make it seeing they made the AA squad. If Carlisle and Steven have a very good season then they are top 50 for sure.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
congorozides
Club Player

Can someone post the top 50? The top 5 sides have blokes who I assume are in the top 10?

Adelaide - Sloane
GWS - Kelly
Geelong - Dangerfield
Tigers - Martin
Swans - Buddy

Vazelos
Club Player

What is more relevant is who will be in the top 50 at the end of this year & we have a number of players taking strides closer to their peak in the next 12-24 months.
Billings, Gresham, Ross, Roberton, Sinclair, & several others....
We will land a big fish at the end of the year and we will have a few in the top 50.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:It is hard to make an absolute case for changing the top 50 as he has written. I would question Sidebottom and Wines inclusion if we were to get a Ross or Roberton into the side. Jack Steven 2017 was not the stellar year we know he can produce so hard to make a case for him. I think there is also a question mark from the outside as to how Jack Steven handles a really hard tag.

fqf
Sidebottom and Wines are ahead of Steven.
Personally I think Robbo happens to be right....we dont have a top 50 player. We are a B average team. Carlisle, Billings, Gresham and on his day Steven can push toward A grade.

Nee!
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

When was the last time the second most inexperienced list made the finals?

This is overlooked. Don't fool yourselves, we are still in the rebuild phase going on that stat. It's been a very very long rebuild. Shows how bad our drafting was for 6-7 years as we have very little in the 26+ bracket

Bring back the Lockett era
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Fluid list and means sweet f*ck all.

The fat slob was probably on the piss when he wrote it.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:Can someone post the top 50?
1. Patrick Dangerfield – Geelong
2. Dustin Martin – Richmond
3. Nathan Fyfe – Fremantle
4. Alex Rance – Richmond
5. Lance Franklin – Sydney
6. Gary Ablett – Geelong
7. Josh Kelly – GWS
8. Joe Daniher – Essendon
9. Joel Selwood – Geelong
10. Josh Kennedy – West Coast
11. Rory Sloane – Adelaide
12. Marcus Bontempelli – Western Bulldogs
13. Josh Kennedy – Sydney
14. Tom Mitchell – Hawthorn
15. Patrick Cripps – Carlton
16. Scott Pendlebury – Collingwood
17. Trent Cotchin – Richmond
18. Eddie Betts – Adelaide
19. Paddy Ryder – Port Adelaide
20. Dayne Zorko – Brisbane
21. Michael Hurley – Essendon
22. Robbie Gray – Port Adelaide
23. Jeremy McGovern – West Coast
24. Toby Greene – GWS
25. Ben Brown – North Melbourne
26. Luke Parker – Sydney
27. Luke Shuey – West Coast
28. Zach Merrett – Essendon
29. Rory Laird – Adelaide
30. Max Gawn – Melbourne
31. Dayne Beams – Brisbane
32. Dylan Shiel – GWS
33. Tom Lynch – Gold Coast
34. Michael Hibberd – Melbourne
35. Matt Crouch – Adelaide
36. Lachie Neale – Fremantle
37. Sam Jacobs – Adelaide
38. Isaac Heeney – Sydney
39. Charlie Dixon – Port Adelaide
40. Chad Wingard – Port Adelaide
41. Steven May – Gold Coast
42. Callan Ward – GWS
43. Ollie Wines – Port Adelaide
44. Steele Sidebottom – Collingwood
45. Elliot Yeo – West Coast
46. Clayton Oliver – Melbourne
47. Bryce Gibbs – Adelaide
48. Jack Riewoldt – Richmond
49. Mitch Duncan – Geelong
50. Taylor Walker – Adelaide

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Gresham could be in it next season. Billings also. Steven, Ross. Maybe Acres. Sinclair.

We've got a good even list, which in some ways is preferable to the "all your eggs in one basket" model.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Interesting that the number of top players in each side also roughly follows the ladder last year.

adelaide - 6
port - 5
richmond - 4
geelong - 4
sydney - 4
GWS - 4
WCE - 4
melb - 3
ess - 3
GCS - 2
bris - 2
coll - 2
freo - 2
dogs - 1
hawks - 1
carl - 1
north - 1
saints - 0

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
congorozides wrote:Can someone post the top 50?
1. Patrick Dangerfield – Geelong
2. Dustin Martin – Richmond
3. Nathan Fyfe – Fremantle
4. Alex Rance – Richmond
5. Lance Franklin – Sydney
6. Gary Ablett – Geelong
7. Josh Kelly – GWS
8. Joe Daniher – Essendon
9. Joel Selwood – Geelong
10. Josh Kennedy – West Coast
11. Rory Sloane – Adelaide
12. Marcus Bontempelli – Western Bulldogs
13. Josh Kennedy – Sydney
14. Tom Mitchell – Hawthorn
15. Patrick Cripps – Carlton
16. Scott Pendlebury – Collingwood
17. Trent Cotchin – Richmond
18. Eddie Betts – Adelaide
19. Paddy Ryder – Port Adelaide
20. Dayne Zorko – Brisbane
21. Michael Hurley – Essendon
22. Robbie Gray – Port Adelaide
23. Jeremy McGovern – West Coast
24. Toby Greene – GWS
25. Ben Brown – North Melbourne
26. Luke Parker – Sydney
27. Luke Shuey – West Coast
28. Zach Merrett – Essendon
29. Rory Laird – Adelaide
30. Max Gawn – Melbourne
31. Dayne Beams – Brisbane
32. Dylan Shiel – GWS
33. Tom Lynch – Gold Coast
34. Michael Hibberd – Melbourne
35. Matt Crouch – Adelaide
36. Lachie Neale – Fremantle
37. Sam Jacobs – Adelaide
38. Isaac Heeney – Sydney
39. Charlie Dixon – Port Adelaide
40. Chad Wingard – Port Adelaide
41. Steven May – Gold Coast
42. Callan Ward – GWS
43. Ollie Wines – Port Adelaide
44. Steele Sidebottom – Collingwood
45. Elliot Yeo – West Coast
46. Clayton Oliver – Melbourne
47. Bryce Gibbs – Adelaide
48. Jack Riewoldt – Richmond
49. Mitch Duncan – Geelong
50. Taylor Walker – Adelaide
What a toss bag Essendon supporter. Daniher at 8, Hurley at 21, Hibbard at 38 and Mitch Duncan at 49 is just rubbish.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Yeah some ridiculous placings here but that’s the norm for this slobbo. McGovern and Greene should be top 10 and Ablett hasn’t played for ages so he should be starting at zero. Hurley at 21? Laughable. I’m surprised the turd didn’t fit Heppell in there

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

He originally had Jobe Watson in the top ten until the editors told him he had retired.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.