Why Weller is in our best 18 - afl.com.au

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Why Weller is in our best 18 - afl.com.au

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-15/weller

Saint ups the effort

Warrick Todd

Mar 15, 2018 4:32PM

Inferential statistics is the new buzz term in AFL circles, and there is no better example of a player who emphasises the importance of these stats that St Kilda’s Maverick Weller. He won’t be in your Supercoach team and the often-maligned Weller doesn’t feature heavily in the old-fashioned analysis of possessions per game or one percenters or the newer incarnated pressure acts, he does however dominate inferential statistics across not only his club but the league.

Weller is currently top three (3) in seven (7) of the eight (8) inferential statistics monitored by AFL clubs over the past two seasons, so it is not hard to comprehend why he is rated so highly internally at his club and by his peers.

The older brother of boom Gold Coast recruit Lauchie Weller was reluctant to talk about the stats when contacted by AFL.com.au this week, but eventually opened up hoping to inspire a new generation of player. “Leading inferential statistics did not happen without a lot of hard work. You need to be impressing on the coaches and your teammates that you are putting in 100% effort, 100% of the time, and that’s not easy”

Weller by the numbers:
# 1 - Lunging with intent at opposition player who is in possession - without making contact
# 1 - Harassing opposition without impact
# 1 - Looking exhausted at a stoppage
# 3 - Running at full speed to the boundary to take your bench rotation
# 2 - Pointing down the field and yelling instructions to your team mates
# 1 - Huffing and puffing
# 3 - Leaping to spoil without contacting ball or player

Weller's trademark lunge at opposition Swan

Weller leaves no stone unturned and has spent hours in the coaches box surveying the playing surface while perfecting his techniques. “Giving the impression you are actively involved in the match and on a contest by contest basis is hard, coaches aren’t easily fooled these days and there are so many of them in the box on game day. Without great technique you could easily be exposed in replays or by your teammates, so keeping up the appearance of maximum effort with minimum impact is punishing in itself”, said Weller. Weller’s research has paid dividends as he has managed to understand and execute the angles on most AFL grounds to provide the coaches, fans and TV audience the impression he is a high-pressure competitor.

“It doesn’t hurt being ripped and a good-looking Rooster to boot” said Weller. “If you get the girls on side they are happy to tell their boyfriends they are jealous if they happen to catch you out if your effort didn’t look realistic enough”. Weller is looking for a return to his 2016 form after a disappointing 2017 season. “I’ve removed myself from the Leadership group now, there was too much expectation to speak at meetings and they got kind of annoyed when they asked me a question and I hummed and pretended to be in meditation”.

Weller expects to play as a pressure forward in 2018 with rotation though a midfield that will include highly rated first round draft choices Hunter Clark and Nick Coffield who Weller is mentoring. If they can turn out to be as successful as Weller in inferential statistics the saints could break an eight-year absence from finals action.
Last edited by Joffa Burns on Fri 16 Mar 2018 7:01am, edited 1 time in total.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why Weller is in our best 18 - afl.com.au

Weller by the numbers:
# 1 - Lunging with intent at opposition player who is in position - without making contact
# 1 - Harassing opposition without impact
# 1 - Looking exhausted at a stoppage
# 3 - Running at full speed to the boundary to take your bench rotation
# 1 - Huffing and puffing
# 3 - Leaping to spoil without contacting ball or player
Whack

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I was a fan. His dodgey ankle last year seemed to ruin his kicking ability and agility. And I suspect his confidence as well, which for Mav is a big part of his game.

Unfortunately for Mav he seems to have already impacted that ankle again this year and so with even more competition for spots in the 22 he is going to struggle to be best 22.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
dragit
Saintsational Legend

This is brilliant.

Lazydeay

Gold

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The sad part is that I his is still the best explanation I’ve heard as to why Weller so consistently got games last year

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Whilst very funny and I love humour, do we need to bag out Weller (a Saints man and player) before the start of the season? :D

I would be majorly pissed if I was him and read this. Just my opinion.

I hope he has a big 2018. Sure we all do. I reckon alot of people are jealous because he's so good looking (apparantly to females)! :)
Last edited by parkeysainter on Thu 15 Mar 2018 6:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Still behind BJ.

congorozides
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:I was a fan. His dodgey ankle last year seemed to ruin his kicking ability and agility. And I suspect his confidence as well, which for Mav is a big part of his game.

Unfortunately for Mav he seems to have already impacted that ankle again this year and so with even more competition for spots in the 22 he is going to struggle to be best 22.
His ankle was so injured he played 2 games in the VFL?
Seems odd.

congorozides
Club Player

Joffa Burns
I have to hand it to you.
That is very well written. High quality piece.
Well played. Very funny. You almost had me going at the start it was so well constructed.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I'm sorry but the 'I've got a sore ankle' is no longer cutting the mustard with me. Either declare it and rest or it's not on the table as a viable excuse. I was a big fan of Mav's in 2016. I thought his body work and his overhead marking was exceptional. He looked like he was about to become anything. Last year was devastating for him and the team. His confidence seems shot and if he doesn't find it soon he'll be looking for a new career. We desperately need the 2016 version as he has the body to impact the game (unlike Lonie) but his kicking for goal has been dreadful and he just can't find the ball anymore.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

We should make him Captain

noddy04
Club Player

I cant understand you SUPPOSED saints fans. How many f***** games has warrick todd played at the highest level. My guess 0. Yet you guys think that some tosser can bag one of OUR players who puts his body on the line every time he crosses the white line. Warrick wouldnt have the courage as would any of you heroes to face any AFL player and bag him the way you do Mav and countless other saints players. I know you will all come out and say that he/they get paid well and so they should . They are courageous people . Walk up to Nick Riewoldt and try to bag our players. Warrick isnt fit to do up Mavs or any other AFL players bootlaces. So bag me all you want i dont care but GET behind our players instead of bagging them all the time. This goes for Lonie, Hickey, Longer, Sam Gilbert and all the other players you bag incessantly. And f*** YOU warrick todd

Drake Huggins
Club Player

It's a bit of satire. Like his take on the Australian cricket team. Hilarious. Lighten up.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

noddy04 wrote:I cant understand you SUPPOSED saints fans. How many f***** games has warrick todd played at the highest level. My guess 0. Yet you guys think that some tosser can bag one of OUR players who puts his body on the line every time he crosses the white line. Warrick wouldnt have the courage as would any of you heroes to face any AFL player and bag him the way you do Mav and countless other saints players. I know you will all come out and say that he/they get paid well and so they should . They are courageous people . Walk up to Nick Riewoldt and try to bag our players. Warrick isnt fit to do up Mavs or any other AFL players bootlaces. So bag me all you want i dont care but GET behind our players instead of bagging them all the time. This goes for Lonie, Hickey, Longer, Sam Gilbert and all the other players you bag incessantly. And f*** YOU warrick todd
Warrick Todd is a fictional former test cricketer who wrote cricket parody.
I wrote this and put his name at the top so the good folks on this forum would understand it was a joke from the first paragraph.

I guess that makes me the hero tosser to whom you refer who would not have the courage to walk up to Mav and say this to his face.

I wonder if you see the irony of your own keyboard warrior status at play?
Would you walk up to forumites and call them a hero or a tosser to their face?

Lastly I think you give Mav little credit, it would be a very thin skinned player who took offense to a mock article that means nothing.

Perhaps your vitriol reflects your own level of awareness and comprehension.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:
noddy04 wrote:I cant understand you SUPPOSED saints fans. How many f***** games has warrick todd played at the highest level. My guess 0. Yet you guys think that some tosser can bag one of OUR players who puts his body on the line every time he crosses the white line. Warrick wouldnt have the courage as would any of you heroes to face any AFL player and bag him the way you do Mav and countless other saints players. I know you will all come out and say that he/they get paid well and so they should . They are courageous people . Walk up to Nick Riewoldt and try to bag our players. Warrick isnt fit to do up Mavs or any other AFL players bootlaces. So bag me all you want i dont care but GET behind our players instead of bagging them all the time. This goes for Lonie, Hickey, Longer, Sam Gilbert and all the other players you bag incessantly. And f*** YOU warrick todd
I wrote this and put his name at the top so the good folks on this forum would understand it was a joke from the first paragraph.

I guess that makes me the hero tosser to whom you refer who would not have the courage to walk up to Mav and say this to his face.

Lastly I think you give Mav little credit, it would be a very thin skinned player who took offense to a mock article that means nothing.

Very funny Joffa.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

You might disagree with the content or sentiment.
But we can all agree this is very clever and well written.
Classic work by Joffa imo.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

+1

noddy04
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote:

I apologise joffa i didnt know that it was coming from you. I thought it was from some fleabitten journo. It still doesnt sit well with me. Just imagine what Mav or any other player would feel if his/their form was down and they read something like that. I dont know if you have children Joffa but would you like to read stuff like that about your children or even yourself. You dont know if the people that you pot are mentally able to take the comments that they hear or read about themselves. Maybe put yourself in their shoes and see how it would feel. I still stand by my thoughts that there are way to many baggers of our players and club. And yes if i felt that if it was needed i would front a person over their continual bagging of our players and club. Maybe i should "light/en" up.

SaintAndrew
Club Player

This is funnier than the original piece by Joffa.

Sorry Joffa :(

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Feel sorry a bit for the modern day AFL footballer. Yeah, they get paid shitloads to a degree, but back in the old days all the abuse you used to cop was over the fence on a Saturday or on the odd occasion on some suburban street.

The abuse they get these days is very below the belt and horrific in all kinds of different areas in life. No wonder many have mental health issues. The majority of them are just kids in their 20's that have never had a real job since they were drafted at 18.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

noddy04 wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote:

I apologise joffa i didnt know that it was coming from you. I thought it was from some fleabitten journo. It still doesnt sit well with me. Just imagine what Mav or any other player would feel if his/their form was down and they read something like that. I dont know if you have children Joffa but would you like to read stuff like that about your children or even yourself. You dont know if the people that you pot are mentally able to take the comments that they hear or read about themselves. Maybe put yourself in their shoes and see how it would feel. I still stand by my thoughts that there are way to many baggers of our players and club. And yes if i felt that if it was needed i would front a person over their continual bagging of our players and club. Maybe i should "light/en" up.
I take your point noddy.

This was always meant to be a tongue in cheek article, it is supposed to be a take on the useless stats touted in a media driven to exhaustion trying to find a new stat or story worthy of attention. Like all parody there must be an element of truth to make it appear realistic.

I have spent my life around local sporting clubs (not elite level) but guys are guys and my opinion is if Mav was to read this he would have a chuckle or wonder how some middle aged d!ckhead found the time to write this garbage. I very much doubt he'd be upset by it.

I have multiple children and one is a rising sportsman (not AFL) who has copped a fair bit of stick both personally and on social media and to date it is water off a ducks back to him. My wife and I come from good bogun stock and we have tried to teach our kids resilience and mental toughness.
It wouldn't bother me if it were written about me or one of my kids, I do acknowledge that we are all different and what would not bother me may be distressful to others.

Lastly I did not set out to offend anyone and was trying to give the forumites a laugh with just a wiff of truth attached.

I did cut out the bit I had written where Nick Riewoldt was quoted talking about some of Mav's incredibly athletic lunges at training which failed to make contact by the fingernail of a pigmy dwarf, as I though it was taking it too far :wink:

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I have 2 daughters who are aiming to make it as top line netballers and are currently in the pathway. I have been to Suncorp netball games where I have heard people in the crowd discussing the lack of merit of certain women getting games and their deficiencies openly. I often wondered if either of my daughters became good enough to make it how I would cope with hearing that being discussed. Particularly if there was an element of truth to what was being said.
I have also discussed with parents of kids that have been drafted how they will cope. It's the reason I think parents, wives and girlfriends are ticketed together by clubs. They have their own support crew.

The answer is, it would be tough, no doubt. But the way clubs are mentoring these young blokes is pretty simple. DON'T GET ON SAINTSATIONAL or other type forums. Whether you're in career best form or playing poorly. What can be gained?? The problem is that clubs want their players accessible to their supporters. It's hard to answer questions to fans on online forums etc and expect them to flick a switch and just ignore other parts. I guess players have to learn that what's being written isn't real - whether it be praise or criticism. Listen to the coaches and ignore the rest. Sounds easy but it's not because they're human.

I'd hope that Mav has more brains than to read our crap. If he doesn't, then he'll just have to cope.

Was a bloody funny post with more than an element of truth behind it - the best comedy always does.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

yeah, very funny, haha.....not. :roll: :roll: :roll:

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

top stuff joffa. good comedy inevitably offends someone, their loss.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "