Saints Dudley list - March 2018 edition

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Saints Dudley list - March 2018 edition

It’s common knowledge we are carrying several fringe players.

Hopefully some on this list will come good.

I’ve only included players that are in their 3rd of more season, to be fair.

Rice
Freeman
Goddard
Wright
Minchington
Pearce
McKenzie
Lonie

Scary ain’t it? I’m not even considering some from the 2016 draft like Phillips, Long who may not make it nor anyone from 2017 draft, or rookies!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints Dudley list - March 2018 edition

I'd say Pierce is gone for sure
Wright's not up to it and it seems doubtful that Freeman ever plays

Haven't seen enough of Rice to make a call

Lonie and DMac consistently tear it up in the VFL but it doesn't translate in the seniors so I hope they can put it together this year and show us more consistently what they're capable of

I really rate Minch but injuries are robbing him of his chance though IMO he is the one of the fringe small forwards (Lonie/Weller/Wright) that has shown the most but he's just too injury prone and erratic. Again, prove me wrong.

Goddaqd looks gone most likely but hopefully he's fully fit and can show us what he's made of... there's a need for him if he's good enough

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Can anyone tell us who recruited all of these list cloggers? Let's not forget Nathan Brown, Billy Longer, Koby Stevens et al. I think it must be John Peake's fault. And hasn't big Wayne Hughes earned his money? Carlisle, tick. Freeman ? Steele tick. Then nada. For a bloke brought on to find uncontracted and available players for us to complement out draft picks, isn't he doing a bang up job? Two in three years. We weren't even a player this year. Not a single available player even nominated us as their favoured destination.

Despite what BFUSA assures us, that we are indeed on track for completion of our glorious plan, I think the market knows more than our esteemed moderated and censor. Reminds me of the famous scene in Downfall where Hitler rants on about an inevitable victory despite his generals telling him the Russians are at the front door of the bunker. Wayne Hughes, Another waste of money and space. The ultimate insult is he brought his failure with him from...........Carlton. Haven't their fortunes turned without him?

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Drake Huggins wrote:Can anyone tell us who recruited all of these list cloggers? Let's not forget Nathan Brown, Billy Longer, Koby Stevens et al. I think it must be John Peake's fault. And hasn't big Wayne Hughes earned his money? Carlisle, tick. Freeman ? Steele tick. Then nada. For a bloke brought on to find uncontracted and available players for us to complement out draft picks, isn't he doing a bang up job? Two in three years. We weren't even a player this year. Not a single available player even nominated us as their favoured destination.

Despite what BFUSA assures us, that we are indeed on track for completion of our glorious plan, I think the market knows more than our esteemed moderated and censor. Reminds me of the famous scene in Downfall where Hitler rants on about an inevitable victory despite his generals telling him the Russians are at the front door of the bunker. Wayne Hughes, Another waste of money and space. The ultimate insult is he brought his failure with him from...........Carlton. Haven't their fortunes turned without him?
So you don't rate Membrey, Roberton, Savage, Bruce, Hickey? Cant help but bag the club at any opportunity, well at least be accurate or STFU

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

BringBackMadDog wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:Can anyone tell us who recruited all of these list cloggers? Let's not forget Nathan Brown, Billy Longer, Koby Stevens et al. I think it must be John Peake's fault. And hasn't big Wayne Hughes earned his money? Carlisle, tick. Freeman ? Steele tick. Then nada. For a bloke brought on to find uncontracted and available players for us to complement out draft picks, isn't he doing a bang up job? Two in three years. We weren't even a player this year. Not a single available player even nominated us as their favoured destination.

So you don't rate Membrey, Roberton, Savage, Bruce, Hickey? Cant help but bag the club at any opportunity, well at least be accurate or STFU

A big TICK to you! :)

Saint supporter since '62
congorozides
Club Player

Surely Weller gets a run on the Dudley list? And Koby?

Weller has played 108 AFL games and managed 53 goals. He is 26.

Compared to other fringe 26 year olds who play similar roles:

Ryan Bastinac has 91 goals.
Travis Colyer 52 goals from 79 games.
Josh Green 124 goals from 98 games.

congorozides
Club Player

Nate Brown was a great pick up as a stop gap for a 12 month contract. There was no need to give him 2 years.

We have 4 players - Joyce, Goddard, Clavarino & Austin who can all play that role.

Ridiculous if Brown is stopping these blokes form getting games in 2018. Ridiculous.

Austin is 22. Goddard 21. Joyce almost 21.
They need to play.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:

Just to be clear I have never discussed or lauded recruiting. I have defended the coaches record given the base he inherited 4 years ago and I have defended the club’s strategic plan which seems to in the right trajectory.

Because I present the facts rather than emotion based arguments - DH is now putting words in my mouth and making out that I am wrong based on recruiting - a subject that I have made no comment on.

I just wanted to clarify this as I am being misrepresented.

Also I would love to know what this “market” is that knows more than me.

I don’t know the future! Nobody does. Not even the betting market. That market gets it wrong all the time.

I merely deal in past facts.

And assess from there.

And having a glance at John Peake’s recruiting record - makes the current era look not so bad! But it is too early to tell.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

IMHO

Rice - great footy brain and excellent foot skills. Being groomed to play on small forwards but can be opened up against pace. Just not sure every team has a match up he can play on. Not necessarily a list clogger. Will be a role player if he adds to his fitness base.

Freeman - if surgery is successful then he may get a run at it. If he shows some digns at the back end of 2018 then a rookie contract thereafter to repay his debt. Give him 1 year to get it right in 2019.

Goddard - crueled by foot injuries this pre season gives him a chance to re-boot (pun intended) and I never judge talls until they have 5 years in the system ... so jury is out but he looks like a CHB or CHF to me so needs to build his engine. Work in Progress.

Wright - heart and soul player. CAN lock down a dangerous small forward or small midfielder and this is what he should do week in and week out. Has been played out of position but footy has changed and lock downs are out of vogue. This will change as mosquitofleets are back in vogue and I hope Nathan’s talent is recognised and utilised.

Minchington - love the meatball but unlucky with injury and starved of opportunity. Played as a small forward but really is a midfielder. Tears it up in the VFL. Would love to see him groomed as a Savage like half back. Has a dangerous laser pass.

Pearce - CAN play! His problem is that he is not a confident man. If he had Billy’s opinion of himself elf and mongrel then he would be the complete package. Time will tell if this kick in the pants to Frankston will make or break his AFL career.

McKenzie - reminds me of Geary. Hard. Brave. Determined. Fit. Reasonable but not greatly skilled and / or panics with ball in hand. Hasn’t found the rhythm of the AFL game. I prefer White with ball in dispute and ball in hand as he is a lovely kick.

Lonie - like McKenzie he hasn’t found the rhythm of AFL and panics with ball in hand leaving to mistakes. VFL tempo allows him to show his creativity and skill. Excellent defensive work rate. Tries hard but now must find time and space with the ball in hand.

2018 is the last chance for some and 2019 is the last chance for others.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:It’s common knowledge we are carrying several fringe players.

Rice
Freeman
Goddard
Wright
Minchington
Pearce
McKenzie
Lonie

Scary ain’t it? I’m not even considering some from the 2016 draft like Phillips, Long who may not make it nor anyone from 2017 draft, or rookies!
Some guys are destined to be fillers - as long as they can do a job or contribute something when they get selected. Not match winners but can do a job until someone better comes along. I put Wright and Lonie in that category. Can do a job for a few weeks - kick a few goals here and there, apply strong pressure, just never going to feature in best players on a regular basis - and destined to be 2nd or maybe 3rd string for their position.

But I think the point you are highlighting is that there is not enough of guys developing into solid senior players. Most of the players On your list did not show any significant improvement after their first year. That’s what scares me - because as good as Hunter and Coff look now, if they don’t keep improving over the next couple of years then it certainly is a slow motion train wreck we are witnessing.

Love is all you need
stonecold
SS Life Member

If your that upset, maybe find another club!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:It’s common knowledge we are carrying several fringe players.

Rice
Freeman
Goddard
Wright
Minchington
Pearce
McKenzie
Lonie

Some guys are destined to be fillers - as long as they can do a job or contribute something when they get selected. Not match winners but can do a job until someone better comes along. I put Wright and Lonie in that category. Can do a job for a few weeks - kick a few goals here and there, apply strong pressure, just never going to feature in best players on a regular basis - and destined to be 2nd or maybe 3rd string for their position.

But I think the point you are highlighting is that there is not enough of guys developing into solid senior players. Most of the players On your list did not show any significant improvement after their first year. That’s what scares me - because as good as Hunter and Coff look now, if they don’t keep improving over the next couple of years then it certainly is a slow motion train wreck we are witnessing.
Nailed it. So many haven’t come on. And I’ve go the gun out for Long. Another classic Saints lower draft pick in the making. But he’s for the 2019 list I’m guessing.

Imagine if we had significant injury issues. We haven’t had that for 2 seasons. That’s when the Dudley list is exposed for what it really is.

Pray for low injuries for a third year in a row or we can forget about finals!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Rice
Freeman
Goddard
Wright
Minchington
Pearce
McKenzie
Lonie
Every club has fringe players who don't end up making the grade…

I'm actually more concerned with some of the blokes who are inside our best 22 regularly.

Geary, Brown, Gilbert, Webster, Savage, Longer, Stevens, Weller, Bruce - these guys have all played some good football at times but as senior players, just aren't getting it done often enough IMO.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Freeman
Goddard
Wright
Minchington
Pearce
McKenzie
Lonie

I'm actually more concerned with some of the blokes who are inside our best 22 regularly.

Geary, Brown, Gilbert, Webster, Savage, Longer, Stevens, Weller, Bruce - these guys have all played some good football at times but as senior players, just aren't getting it done often enough IMO.
Shyte. Give me a vallium please. I agree with your underperforming list except for Savage. He broke free for many games in the last half of 2017 and appears to be tracking upwards for this year

barneyboyz
Club Player

dragit wrote:
Freeman
Goddard
Wright
Minchington
Pearce
McKenzie
Lonie

I would say that aside from Brown (who played his role as expected), the biggest problem with that list is they are butchers. I'm probably being harsh on Webster and Savage, who can be beautiful kicks, just don't always bring it or make bad choices.

Interesting that both these players appear to be much better at the moment, and Savage especially seems to be starting to own his job. He is the one I expect to be the biggest improver from that list.

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Drake Huggins
Club Player

BringBackMadDog wrote:

If you can't argue like an adult I suggest you should STFU. Where did I say I didn't rate those you mentioned? Let's not bring mad dog back. :roll:

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Drake Huggins wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:

If you can't argue like an adult I suggest you should STFU. Where did I say I didn't rate those you mentioned? Let's not bring mad dog back. :roll:
no you don't mention the successful pick ups because it diminishes your puerile attacks on the club. You show no balance in your arguments just continuous attacks and churlish name calling of coaches and support staff. You are just getting monotonous and boring

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

We are improving because Weller, Long, McKenzie, White, Lonie, Gilbert and Hickey are now fringe players. Most sensible sensationalist fantasy teams for round one exclude those chaps. That is a positive. We need a good back up tall defender and I think we recruited for that. However Webster need to be nervous and improve/tighten his defence - although at times I wonder if he appreciates that. Longer's improvement is impressive as is Marshall and Battle's potential. We are well coached and will play finals - although not on the last day in September 2018. 2019 there is a good chance.