Marshall ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Re: Marshall ?

I thought this topic was about Marshall? For me he is still a little green and will make too many mistakes in games we must win ie rounds 1 and 2. Play him later in the year after about more vfl time
So do we now pick a good tap ruckman who is a liability around the ground or a sub par ruckman who is good away from the ruck?

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
SaintPav wrote:We're good at picking rookies because numpties like farteysainter say so.

He knows because the club tells him.
Get a life SaintPavalova. Try posting something funny or original. Its not "very" hard. You don't have to be a pessimistic sad sack about the club and argue with or attack everyone all the time on here. People have opinions on the ST KFC that are different than yours...believe it or not.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/reci ... 89/pavlova
Make sure you preheat the oven to 120 degrees mate.
No s***, snowflake.

And this is coming from someone who thinks that they can tell people how to post and then throws hissy fits when he doesn't like the content; then demands that posters change the topic because it offends snowflake's fragile sensibilities. Poor little snowflake.

Just so you know, I've posted plenty of positive stuff about the club and defended many players to the hilt over the last 8 years, so don't you tell me what's what you johnny-come-lately.

What you need to understand is the concept of freedom of speech and that there is a little thing called the truth; there is a difference between being pessimistic and realistic.

I already know that you are a drone because you believe whatever you read on afl.com.au and whatever the club tells you. I can also tell you are a dullard and a simpleton because you don't have a very good sense of humour.

Thanks for the Pavlova recipe, and from Woolworth's none the less; further proof that you are a drone. Brilliant and original reference to Pavlova, snowflake and attempt at a joke. I've never heard that one before. :roll:

"You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world".

Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club
Yawn...much like the skeleton on that chair.

Maybe a NZ pavlova is more your thing?
Or one from Aldi? (they are much cheaper and fight for the little guys against the drone makers)

Anyway, back to discussing football. Can't wait for Rd 1.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

DJ Higgins wrote:I thought this topic was about Marshall? For me he is still a little green and will make too many mistakes in games we must win ie rounds 1 and 2. Play him later in the year after about more vfl time
So do we now pick a good tap ruckman who is a liability around the ground or a sub par ruckman who is good away from the ruck?
Saints have a couple of rucks that can play which is the positive, but they are by no means A grade.

Marshall is too green a foot soldier though at this point. Richo needs to get some battle field time into him during 2018 so he is ready for the war in 2019 and beyond.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
SaintPav wrote:We're good at picking rookies because numpties like farteysainter say so.

Get a life SaintPavalova. Try posting something funny or original. Its not "very" hard. You don't have to be a pessimistic sad sack about the club and argue with or attack everyone all the time on here. People have opinions on the ST KFC that are different than yours...believe it or not.

No s***, snowflake.

And this is coming from someone who thinks that they can tell people how to post and then throws hissy fits when he doesn't like the content; then demands that posters change the topic because it offends snowflake's fragile sensibilities. Poor little snowflake.

Just so you know, I've posted plenty of positive stuff about the club and defended many players to the hilt over the last 8 years, so don't you tell me what's what you johnny-come-lately.

What you need to understand is the concept of freedom of speech and that there is a little thing called the truth; there is a difference between being pessimistic and realistic.

I already know that you are a drone because you believe whatever you read on afl.com.au and whatever the club tells you. I can also tell you are a dullard and a simpleton because you don't have a very good sense of humour.

Thanks for the Pavlova recipe, and from Woolworth's none the less; further proof that you are a drone. Brilliant and original reference to Pavlova, snowflake and attempt at a joke. I've never heard that one before. :roll:

"You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world".

Or one from Aldi? (they are much cheaper and fight for the little guys against the drone makers)

I wouldn't expect you to get the avatar, simpleton.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Drake Huggins
Club Player

8-) :D :D
SaintPav wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:

No s***, snowflake.

I al :D :D :D :D :D ready know that you are a drone because you believe whatever you read on afl.com.au and whatever the club tells you. I can also tell you are a dullard and a simpleton because you don't have a very good sense of humour.

:D

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:

No s***, snowflake.

I do get it. Its just s*** and boring. Avatar like poster I guess. :D

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:

No s***, snowflake.

I do get it. Its just s*** and boring. Avatar like poster I guess. :D
Sure you do dullard.

PS. It’s Vlad.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I'm a Marshall fan!

He's mobile and agile (though possibly a little slow?), a good kick, a good handballer, can take a mark (forward or back), can kick a goal, and appears to have a good footy brain. Just the sort of big bloke the modern game is evolving towards demanding.

From all reports Rohan wasn't made to look silly against one of the competition's most physical ruckmen - Gawn. So there shouldn't be issues re shattering his confidence by playing him before he's up for it.

What I noticed (from the Carlscum game) was that he looked a bit lost. He has the ability, so the best way to get past the 'looking lost' thing is to... play him.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Drake Huggins
Club Player

Marshall is the future. Longersaurus is the Jurassic period with stone cold !!!!!!!!!!! Hickey is Stickey man. Better than Longersaurus but not by much. Here we go!!!!-

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Good news is we have some options. Playing Marshall is paramount regardless of whether it is sandy or saints. Hickey or longer will play first few rounds otherwise our selection panel will be asked why we kept them both. I am not writing of hickey yet as he had a good season two years back but he better step up now

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

What the hell happened to big Lewie Pearce?
Never even hear about him anymore. He played 1 game then he barely gets mentioned, even at Sandy. Bit of a disappointment as alot of tiime was put into him and he barely retained a spot on the list this season (now a rookie). Maybe keeping 10 inch Holmes was a better option instead.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

The way I see it, Hickey not even in contention for Rd 1. At least he shouldn't be.It should be out of Longer or Marshal. From what I can tell Hickey is still the same player of 2017. He gets pushed around at contests and as a consequence he gives away stupid free kicks for holding on.

Hickey needs to turn himself into a dangerous fwd. That way he becomes a good 2nd ruck option. If he can't his career looks ovwr

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:What the hell happened to big Lewie Pearce?
Never even hear about him anymore. He played 1 game then he barely gets mentioned, even at Sandy. Bit of a disappointment as alot of tiime was put into him and he barely retained a spot on the list this season (now a rookie). Maybe keeping 10 inch Holmes was a better option instead.
Still at the club only because he had a year to run on his contract. Now on Rookie Lust. The club & Pierce have been given permission for him to play with Frankston throughout the season. Strange but better than having 3 or 4 ruckmen playing for Sandi, obviously he is out the door at years end.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

realsitically marshall looked a long way from a starting spot. ran out of gas very quickly and was terrible after that. let him grow a tank and get the basics right in the vfl

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Impatient Sainter wrote:
Still at the club only because he had a year to run on his contract. Now on Rookie Lust. The club & Pierce have been given permission for him to play with Frankston throughout the season. Strange but better than having 3 or 4 ruckmen playing for Sandi, obviously he is out the door at years end.
Looks like it then. You never know though I guess.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:
Seems to be another case of a player that was promising when we drafted him, many said he had all the tools, played a reasonable debut game and then by all accounts didn’t improve in the slightest for 2 years

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:
Seems to be another case of a player that was promising when we drafted him, many said he had all the tools, played a reasonable debut game and then by all accounts didn’t improve in the slightest for 2 years
In all honesty, he was a late draft pick and a bit of a project though. He was up against it seeing Longer and Hickey were good players. Plus 10 inch Holmes was his equal for a long time. I think clubs are better off stealing a ruck from another club these days than drafting one, unless they are top 10 or even 20 calibre.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I have watched the replay of the second half 3 times.
I tracked Marshall.
He rucked for 8.5 minutes against Gawn from half time then they both rested for 5 minutes. Marshall 7 HO Gawn 6.
Then he rucked the last 6.5 mins of the qtr and beat Gawn convincingly 5 to 2.
In the last he rucked the first 7 minutes and they finished with 4 each.
He disappeared for 4 minutes and then appeared to be playing off HB for about 7 minutes while Hickey rucked; but Marshall was moving a kick off the play.
Gawn went off with 4 minutes to go and Hickey went with him.
In the last 4 minutes there was 8 stoppages and Marshall won the ruck 6 to 2 finishing strongly.
There was a vast difference between how effective Marshall was compared to Hickey and Im going to say he is and will continue to be better than Hickey on his firsrt effort in the ruck alone.
This was also reflected on the scoreboard, clearances and in general play while he rucked.
Even at throw ins he was very competitive and Gawn got away with pusing him in the back a few times but he fought to get in front.
I have him winning 22 taps out of 36 in his first half a game against a genuine star ruckman. Some how the stats gave him 13.
I wouldnt say he gassed at all and believe he should play at least 10 games this year to prepare for next year, even if it is off the bench.
He is going to be a good player.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:I have watched the replay of the second half 3 times.
I tracked Marshall.
He rucked for 8.5 minutes against Gawn from half time then they both rested for 5 minutes. Marshall 7 HO Gawn 6.
Then he rucked the last 6.5 mins of the qtr and beat Gawn convincingly 5 to 2.
In the last he rucked the first 7 minutes and they finished with 4 each.
He disappeared for 4 minutes and then appeared to be playing off HB for about 7 minutes while Hickey rucked; but Marshall was moving a kick off the play.
Gawn went off with 4 minutes to go and Hickey went with him.
In the last 4 minutes there was 8 stoppages and Marshall won the ruck 6 to 2 finishing strongly.
There was a vast difference between how effective Marshall was compared to Hickey and Im going to say he is and will continue to be better than Hickey on his firsrt effort in the ruck alone.
This was also reflected on the scoreboard, clearances and in general play while he rucked.
Even at throw ins he was very competitive and Gawn got away with pusing him in the back a few times but he fought to get in front.
I have him winning 22 taps out of 36 in his first half a game against a genuine star ruckman. Some how the stats gave him 13.
I wouldnt say he gassed at all and believe he should play at least 10 games this year to prepare for next year, even if it is off the bench.
He is going to be a good player.

To be honest. That's the way I saw it too. He's by no means a superstar yet, but I liked his competitiveness against Gawn. Worth persevering with in the ones in my book. When was the last time we developed a decent ruckman? I reckon we'd need to go back to Spider Everitt and Lazaar.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Moods wrote:

To be honest. That's the way I saw it too. He's by no means a superstar yet, but I liked his competitiveness against Gawn. Worth persevering with in the ones in my book. When was the last time we developed a decent ruckman? I reckon we'd need to go back to Spider Everitt and Lazaar.
Completely agree with CQ saints assessment as well
I was very impressed for a 1 gamer
The fact is if you can't compete in the ruck and rest in another position as a tall these days you are going in a man down
The dinosaur is dead long live the mobile tall that can kick and compete below his knees
As for stealing a ready made ruck, sounds ok in principle but someone has to draft and put the effort in to developing rucks
May as well apply the same theory to all positions

Seeya
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I thought Marshall was good In the JLT. Has improved on last year which is more than we can say about the other 2 rucks.

We are not going to win the flag this year.
Nether Hickey or Longer look like a premiership ruckman. Marshall could develop into a premiership ruckman.

I’m not a fan of young players getting a game ahead of older ones just because they need “to get games into them” - but I’m prepared to make an exception here as I don’t think Marshall is very far behind the other 2.

Love is all you need
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

[quote="Zed"]I thought Marshall was good In the JLT. Has improved on last year which is more than we can say about the other 2 rucks.

We are not going to win the flag this year.
Nether Hickey or Longer look like a premiership ruckman. Marshall could develop into a premiership ruckman.

I’m not a fan of young players getting a game ahead of older ones just because they need “to get games into them” - but I’m prepared to make an exception here as I don’t think Marshall is very far behind the other 2.[/quote]

I agree, if he is not far behind Longer I think I would play him as he has a greater upside. That said Richardson is coaching for his career, if he fails with us he will never be a senior coach again. If Longer is slightly ahead (I believe he is) he will play round 1

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Looking one week at a time. Perhaps he plays at CHB vs Brisbane with Carlisle at Full Back. When relief rucking Roberton or Gilbert can play CHB. Player to miss out is Brown.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Looking one week at a time. Perhaps he plays at CHB vs Brisbane with Carlisle at Full Back. When relief rucking Roberton or Gilbert can play CHB. Player to miss out is Brown.
See I reckon it’s manoeuvres like this that cost us premierships... not because it’s stupid but because we don’t do them

Marshall is the best ruck prospect we’ve had for a while but he’s not quite ready to take the mantle and we’re not sure how much Billy can improve and pbly should keep playing him.

Find a way to get 10-12 games into Marshall without compromising the team structure... it’s imperative for the future but more likely we’ll identify 20 games to N.Brown as more important

Great idea though