Marshall ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Marshall ?

We can bitch and moan about our trading forever.

The reality is that our biggest issue/problem/failure is who we select with the draft picks we end up with.

We massively struggle to pick up draft gems beyond the first round. Whilst I’m not expecting us to nail every second or third round pick, most clubs seem to have far more success in this field than us. Plus rookies - apart from Geary who have we nailed in that department in the past 5 years??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Drake Huggins
Club Player

That is my point also, sp. We have 13 first rounders on our list. It is the quality not the quantity that is the problem. Our record of picking up gems later in the draft isn't great either. We've recently jagged Sinclair from the rookie list and Marshall is exciting, but compared to clubs like the swines, our rookie conversion rate is pathetic. At one stage last year, five of their back six came off the rookie list.

Any donkey can come up with good players from top 20 picks. Most of the amateur draft watchers do as well as the pros when it comes to the top 25. It's after that,that the wheat gets sorted from the chaff. Who is a really good player we've picked up after pick 40 currently playing? I think it might be Jack Steven and he was picked up by Bevo in 2007.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
longtimesaint
Club Player

Drake Huggins wrote:That is my point also, sp. We have 13 first rounders on our list. It is the quality not the quantity that is the problem. Our record of picking up gems later in the draft isn't great either. We've recently jagged Sinclair from the rookie list and Marshall is exciting, but compared to clubs like the swines, our rookie conversion rate is pathetic. At one stage last year, five of their back six came off the rookie list.

Any donkey can come up with good players from top 20 picks. Most of the amateur draft watchers do as well as the pros when it comes to the top 25. It's after that,that the wheat gets sorted from the chaff. Who is a really good player we've picked up after pick 40 currently playing? I think it might be Jack Steven and he was picked up by Bevo in 2007.
This is not true as we have 17 players that regular play seniors with the exception of White and Minchington who are on the fringe of the senior team.
They are no. 3 pick 42
No. 6 pick 25
No. 5 -steak knives in McEvoy trade
No. 13 pick 41
No. 14 rookie
No. 16 pick 37
No. 17 delisted free agent
No. 18 pick 25 & 41
No. 19 pick 33
No. 22 delisted free agent
No. 27 pick 48 in trade
No. 28 delisted free agent
No. 29 pick 42
No. 31 pick 40
No. 35 rookie
No. 37 pick 49 ( f/s)
No. 41 rookie
No. 44 rookie
I think we have done very well with picks 25 and above plus rookies and free agents.

One year will be our year
longtimesaint
Club Player

Drake Huggins wrote:That is my point also, sp. We have 13 first rounders on our list. It is the quality not the quantity that is the problem. Our record of picking up gems later in the draft isn't great either. We've recently jagged Sinclair from the rookie list and Marshall is exciting, but compared to clubs like the swines, our rookie conversion rate is pathetic. At one stage last year, five of their back six came off the rookie list.

This is not true as we have 17 players that regular play seniors with the exception of White and Minchington who are on the fringe of the senior team.
They are no. 3 pick 42
No. 6 pick 25
No. 13 pick 41
No. 14 rookie
No. 16 pick 37
No. 18 pick 25 & 41
No. 19 pick 33
No. 27 pick 48 in trade
No. 29 pick 42
No. 31 pick 40
No. 35 rookie
No. 37 pick 49 ( f/s)
No. 41 rookie
No. 44 rookie
I think we have done very well with picks 25 and above plus rookies and free agents.

One year will be our year
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:

They are no. 3 pick 42
No. 6 pick 25
No. 13 pick 41
No. 14 rookie
No. 16 pick 37
No. 18 pick 25 & 41
No. 19 pick 33
No. 27 pick 48 in trade
No. 29 pick 42
No. 31 pick 40
No. 35 rookie
No. 37 pick 49 ( f/s)
No. 41 rookie
No. 44 rookie
Drakey used pick 40 to lure someone into pointing this out. True To his recent form he will then tell you most of the list is just average.

However, in comparison, many more picks were wasted from 04 to10 than have been from 11 to 17.

It makes Steven, Chips and Gwilt look like flukes but true to Beveridge form they had strong work ethic and obvious potential and though they took time to develop, they benefitted greatly from being in a very strong list and playing in an unusually successful period for the club.

Not an advantage the club has experienfed in Trout's time.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

The list's not average? No finals for six years and we finished 11th last year, which suggests we are below average. What's your argument. Are we holding back for a meteoric ride this year. The way numpties like you say we'll do every year.?

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We're good at picking rookies because numpties like farteysainter say so.

He knows because the club tells him.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote:We're good at picking rookies because numpties like farteysainter say so.

Get a life SaintPavalova. Try posting something funny or original. Its not "very" hard. You don't have to be a pessimistic sad sack about the club and argue with or attack everyone all the time on here. People have opinions on the ST KFC that are different than yours...believe it or not.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/reci ... 89/pavlova
Make sure you preheat the oven to 120 degrees mate.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Moods
Saintsational Legend

When was the last time the club slected a player that we got genuinely excited about. I mean genuinely

FFS - we got the #1 pick 4 years ago and we're still not excited about him. I look back in the last 10 years and players that have come on to the extent that they have developed into a Lenny, Roo, Banger, even Chips and I struggle to find one.

Maybe Steven, however his kicking still lets him down constantly. Seb Ross is one who has surpassed most expectations. Other than that I can barely think of one current player who has come on and really excited us (the supporter base)

I thought Acres would be the one (he still might be) I was hoping that Goddard would, Billing even (most likely to have the break out year we're expecting.

The fact of the matter is that very few of our players are in serious consideration for AA selection. Ross made the squad last year but I don't believe was ever in contention seriously for a spot. It is why we're crying out for a Paddy or someone to come on.

I look at the Swans and I see them everywhere. I look at the hawks last year and I see young guys coming on unexpectedly all over the place.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Moods wrote:When was the last time the club slected a player that we got genuinely excited about. I mean genuinely

FFS - we got the #1 pick 4 years ago and we're still not excited about him. I look back in the last 10 years and players that have come on to the extent that they have developed into a Lenny, Roo, Banger, even Chips and I struggle to find one.

Maybe Steven, however his kicking still lets him down constantly. Seb Ross is one who has surpassed most expectations. Other than that I can barely think of one current player who has come on and really excited us (the supporter base)

I thought Acres would be the one (he still might be) I was hoping that Goddard would, Billing even (most likely to have the break out year we're expecting.

The fact of the matter is that very few of our players are in serious consideration for AA selection. Ross made the squad last year but I don't believe was ever in contention seriously for a spot. It is why we're crying out for a Paddy or someone to come on.

I look at the Swans and I see them everywhere. I look at the hawks last year and I see young guys coming on unexpectedly all over the place.
I'm genuinely excited about our two top picks - Coffield and Clark. It is early, but IMO they look more ready than anyone from the past 5 years from the draft.

I am still genuinley excited with what Gresh, Paddy, JB, Acres, Dunstan are going to end up like.

I am more talking about our draft picks though.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
barneyboyz
Club Player

Moods wrote:When was the last time the club slected a player that we got genuinely excited about. I mean genuinely

Was it first year players that won Richmond a premiership? Just on that, some of the premiership side although very good to excellent players, were on quite a slow burn (not unlike ours), and they brought in players that were needed to make that jump.

for me, when I hear the club talking about trading-in players, I don't necessarily hear Kelly, Sloan or Dusty (although that's what they and I would like), I hear something more like getting players suitable in helping the cause. That's what Hawthorn has shown the competition

FWIW, I have been very excited about many of our recruits over the past 5 years. Some work, others...

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Drake Huggins
Club Player

longtimesaint wrote:

They are no. 3 pick 42
No. 6 pick 25
No. 13 pick 41
No. 14 rookie
No. 16 pick 37
No. 18 pick 25 & 41
No. 19 pick 33
No. 27 pick 48 in trade
No. 29 pick 42
No. 31 pick 40
No. 35 rookie
No. 37 pick 49 ( f/s)
No. 41 rookie
No. 44 rookie

Thank you for making my point for me, lts, with that list of what are largely b and c graders. If these 18 players are playing regularly for us, where are the guns we got with our early picks? That list you put up is exactly why we have any ordinary list, many of whom wouldn't get a game in other teams. Why name Minchington and White? They are not anywhere near regular senior players. White has played 4 games in two years. Just sneak them in to pad your spurious argument, eh? Webster? Hardly. Rice? Hasn't played a single senior game :D :shock: ! Lonie. Can't get a regular game and is derided, quite rightly, of being nowhere near being up to it. Steven. Picked by Bevo. I was there when he did it. Nice try, but this is one of the worst and disingenuous posts of the year. It actually damns the current regime. Some good b graders in there, but where are the quick, good by foot elites they've been promising us for the past seven years?

Rookies? The captain was picked by Bevo under RL's regime. Sinclair the only gun they've got. Weller? Hahahah. Most of us and saints supporters I know want him dropped. His 2017 was awful and he's done nothing in the recent preseason to suggest he'll improve. Blokes at his age and stage of their career rarely do. Brown is there as a stop gap and is a liability in the running game as is Longer. Gilbert also a pick by Bevo, not Elshyte. So that's 12 of your 18 who are either not regulars or are to blame for our mediocrity. Nice try, though. Actually, it was a really awful try. Give flathead a call. He'll have a job for you.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Drake Huggins
Club Player

In your defence, you may have missed my point in my original post. I was working on your assertion, sp, that we were talking about, to quote you,good regular senior players who've done well'. Most of those you named are anything plus.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Drake Huggins
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:

They are no. 3 pick 42
No. 6 pick 25
No. 13 pick 41
No. 14 rookie
No. 16 pick 37
No. 18 pick 25 & 41
No. 19 pick 33
No. 27 pick 48 in trade
No. 29 pick 42
No. 31 pick 40
No. 35 rookie
No. 37 pick 49 ( f/s)
No. 41 rookie
No. 44 rookie
Drakey used pick 40 to lure someone into pointing this out. True To his recent form he will then tell you most of the list is just average.

However, in comparison, many more picks were wasted from 04 to10 than have been from 11 to 17.

It makes Steven, Chips and Gwilt look like flukes but true to Beveridge form they had strong work ethic and obvious potential and though they took time to develop, they benefitted greatly from being in a very strong list and playing in an unusually successful period for the club.

Not an advantage the club has experienfed in Trout's time.
I really am disappointed in the standard of this post, CQS. I do expect better from you than some of the regular numpties. Our best performance in recruiting in the past 17 years have come from our ability to lure uncontracted players through trade. Our drafting, much less so. People who bag Peake, forget that he din't have the advantage Elshyte did, in that our little pescatorian friend had a raft of early picks, most of which he's failed to deliver on. Peake came into the club at a time we had a good list, which meant he had SFA in terms of early picks, two of which were traded away at the insistence of the coach.

We had a single top ten pick under Peake, which was a pretty good selection. A man who's now a dual premiership player, who'd been marked for captaincy of our club. I'd bet you any amount he'd be getting a game over Stickey man and Longersaurus. Another howler, thanks to the pelican and the flathead. Or maybe that gun, Lewis Pierce would tip "big boy" out of our side. Another Eshyte "special", as stated at the time. One game in five years. Go flathead!

So your argument of wasted picks, CQS, is a nonsense. A wasted, precious, number one on McCartin. The worst number one since Lounder. Everyone warned him. His overlooking of Petracca should've got him the sack on the spot. The wasting of picks around the 20-25 mark only aggravated the horror. He's done a great job, though. Just look at our list and ask the know nothing, numpty sheep that inhabit this forum. Look at the FACTS! We finished 11TH after six years of rebuilding. Are you mad?

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Are you talking to me Drakey or just rambling on about the few isolated points you cant move on from.

I made no reference to Peake, dont care about your bickering with other posters and cant follow your reasoning as you seem to be flipping all over the place.

We had a 3 year run at a flag and that took 7 years to develop. We had all the pieces to build a dynasty and wasted most of our picks in the era I quoted.

Those are the cold hard facts and what happened is inexcusable. It amounted to nothing tangible.

I never rated Ben McEvoy and still dont. Using the same age as a comparison I will still take Longer as a ruckman. We have enough intercepting marks who fall in behind the play. 20 hitouts to 38 at the same age smashes the 4 marks and 5 kicks advantage we would get out of McEvoy.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

We got McEvoy at 9 and Steven at 42. Harvey was aging and we had Gardiner. We missed Dangerfield Ward and Rioli and Taylor and Rance.

Hindsight, in this arguement, is a 2 way street. IF Peake didnt know how good Dangerfield was who would have and where did he end up?

Peake came, saw and ran back to Geelong where he was safe in the shadow of Wells.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Indeed. He saw the safe shallows of competence of Geelong. He told me personally how he saw the incompetence at St.kilda and did as you said. Thank you for your impeccable insight about the incompetetence of the flathead. Peake saw it, Bevo has seen it and now you. Btw, next time you see Bevo, let him know what the backstabbing little turd thinks of him. Peake knows, and it's one of the reason I hold him in contempt. Not that he's incompetent, he has too tell others his colleagues are. What a champ. The flathead reckons the Bevo is no good. Tells anyone he can. What a farking goose. Bevo has forgotten more a about recruiting than that good will ever know.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Drake Huggins wrote:Indeed. He saw the safe shallows of competence of Geelong. He told me personally how he saw the incompetence at St.kilda and did as you said. Thank you for your impeccable insight about the incompetetence of the flathead. Peake saw it, Bevo has seen it and now you. Btw, next time you see Bevo, let him know what the backstabbing little turd thinks of him. Peake knows, and it's one of the reason I hold him in contempt. Not that he's incompetent, he has too tell others his colleagues are. What a champ. The flathead reckons the Bevo is no good. Tells anyone he can. What a farking goose. Bevo has forgotten more a about recruiting than that good will ever know.
Why don't you like Trout DH? Personal expierence? What is all this about?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I will stand by Ross Longer Billings Dunstan Acres McCartin White Gresham Battle Clark and Coffield.
I am impressed by Roberton, Carlisle Savage and Membrey
I am inspired by Sinclair and Marshall
I believe in Josh Bruce.
I am curious about Clavarino Paton Austin and Langlands.
I am grateful for Steven and Armo.
I am hopeful for Gaff and McGovern
I want one more top 10 draft pick.
I am looking forward to 2019 2020

Drake Huggins
Club Player

And that is why you're deluded. Paton, Clavarino, Austin and langlands. You bag McEvoy, a dual,premiership player who has achieved more than Longersaurus. Gaff and mcGover haven't even made it to the club, while imagining some top ten pick will make it. As Supertramp used to sing, " dreamer, silly little dreamer,". I prefer to deal in facts and past performance.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Drake Huggins
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote:Are you talking to me Drakey or just rambling on about the few isolated points you cant move on from.

I made no reference to Peake, dont care about your bickering with other posters and cant follow your reasoning as you seem to be flipping all over the place.

We had a 3 year run at a flag and that took 7 years to develop. We had all the pieces to build a dynasty and wasted most of our picks in the era I quoted.

Those are the cold hard facts and what happened is inexcusable. It amounted to nothing tangible.

I never rated Ben McEvoy and still dont. Using the same age as a comparison I will still take Longer as a ruckman. We have enough intercepting marks who fall in behind the play. 20 hitouts to 38 at the same age smashes the 4 marks and 5 kicks advantage we would get out of McEvoy.
Well, the bit about being disappointed in your post is the deadset giveaway, CQS. Unbelievable really. Now you're sheltering behinind the fact you can't read. Un be farkin' lievable. You really must try harder than that.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Drake Huggins
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:Indeed. He saw the safe shallows of competence of Geelong. He told me personally how he saw the incompetence at St.kilda and did as you said. Thank you for your impeccable insight about the incompetetence of the flathead. Peake saw it, Bevo has seen it and now you. Btw, next time you see Bevo, let him know what the backstabbing little turd thinks of him. Peake knows, and it's one of the reason I hold him in contempt. Not that he's incompetent, he has too tell others his colleagues are. What a champ. The flathead reckons the Bevo is no good. Tells anyone he can. What a farking goose. Bevo has forgotten more a about recruiting than that good will ever know.
Indeed, PS. Unfortunately.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Drake Huggins
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:
Indeed, PS. Unfortunately.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:
SaintPav wrote:We're good at picking rookies because numpties like farteysainter say so.

Get a life SaintPavalova. Try posting something funny or original. Its not "very" hard. You don't have to be a pessimistic sad sack about the club and argue with or attack everyone all the time on here. People have opinions on the ST KFC that are different than yours...believe it or not.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/reci ... 89/pavlova
Make sure you preheat the oven to 120 degrees mate.
No s***, snowflake.

And this is coming from someone who thinks that they can tell people how to post and then throws hissy fits when he doesn't like the content; then demands that posters change the topic because it offends snowflake's fragile sensibilities. Poor little snowflake.

Just so you know, I've posted plenty of positive stuff about the club and defended many players to the hilt over the last 8 years, so don't you tell me what's what you johnny-come-lately.

What you need to understand is the concept of freedom of speech and that there is a little thing called the truth; there is a difference between being pessimistic and realistic.

I already know that you are a drone because you believe whatever you read on afl.com.au and whatever the club tells you. I can also tell you are a dullard and a simpleton because you don't have a very good sense of humour.

Thanks for the Pavlova recipe, and from Woolworth's none the less; further proof that you are a drone. Brilliant and original reference to Pavlova, snowflake and attempt at a joke. I've never heard that one before. :roll:

"You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world".

Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:And that is why you're deluded. Paton, Clavarino, Austin and langlands. You bag McEvoy, a dual,premiership player who has achieved more than Longersaurus. Gaff and mcGover haven't even made it to the club, while imagining some top ten pick will make it. As Supertramp used to sing, " dreamer, silly little dreamer,". I prefer to deal in facts and past performance.
Dr.Phil and now Supertramp. I love your style.